Corbyn....should he resign immediately?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
aggi
Been Liked: 2114 times

Re: Corbyn....should he resign immediately?

Post by aggi » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:43 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:27 pm
The Conservatives have been in office for nearly 10 years,are hardly universally popular,and yet they gained seats in supposedly solid Labour heartlands,if that isn't enough for Labour to change direction then the country is screwed.

Labour's biggest problem is they don't ditch failing leaders,it was obvious to everyone that once Boris Johnson won the Tory leadership contest he was itching for an early election,and yet Labour dithered over whether to call a VONC,the time to change was in the summer,Corbyn could easily have stepped aside and given his replacement a chance to bed in,his personal ratings were falling like a stone,but his stubborness won out.

For all the people who chuckled at Johnson assuming the Tory mantle,he's been in office less than 5 months,during that time he's got his WA through the HOC,Corbyn is resigning,Nigel Dodds and Jo Swinson have both had the indignity of losing their seats,Oh! and he's also got the small matter of an 80 seat majority,the Conservatives best performance since 1987,even Major and Cameron could only scrape 21 and 12 seat majorities respectively,i'm beginning to think his critics have underestimated Johnson.
He hasn't actually done that yet. He pulled it when people said they actually wanted to review the content. (Although you'd assume he should manage it now.)

I'd say a lot over-estimated the opposition rather than under-estimated Johnson. Jo Swinson's campaign was textbook how not to do it.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:52 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:43 pm
Jo Swinson's campaign was textbook how not to do it.
Very true. To not realise she would be derided for her "I'm standing for PM" so that had to change and then row back from the "Revoke in Day 1" position left them nowhere.

aggi
Been Liked: 2114 times

Post by aggi » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:22 pm

On the original topic, I'd say he should have gone straight away. For these next few months the labour party are going to be totally ineffective at providing an opposition, anything they attempt to contest will be met with "you're leader is a failure, why should we listen to you".

I wouldn't rush into a new appointment. Bring in someone like Harriet Harman as a caretaker whilst the post-mortem goes on and then start the process for the new leader.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Given his completion of Operation " 5 More Years," Double Agent Corbyn will be kept in his operational role , until a successor is found to replace him....

I have it on good authority that an equally effective agent is being lined up for the 2nd phase of the larger, "Permanent wilderness" mission.

As you were, gentlemen

(This message will self destruct in ........)

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:36 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:22 pm
On the original topic, I'd say he should have gone straight away. For these next few months the labour party are going to be totally ineffective at providing an opposition, anything they attempt to contest will be met with "you're leader is a failure, why should we listen to you".

I wouldn't rush into a new appointment. Bring in someone like Harriet Harman as a caretaker whilst the post-mortem goes on and then start the process for the new leader.
Agree!
That is normal business. Proper leader, defeated, falls on sword immediately, with as much honour as can be mustered. Senior, respected party figure, with no claim to future leadership, shows what a good opposition can achieve, while the party sorts its next leader.

Mr C....f off.
This user liked this post: Bosscat