Gen. Election in Burnley ... the final word

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Gen. Election in Burnley ... the final word

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:33 pm

Antony Hegginbotham 15,720 ( Con )
Julie Cooper 14,368 ( Lab )
Gordon Birtwistle 3,501 ( L/D )
Stewart Scott 3,362 ( Brexit )
Charles Briggs 1,162 ( B&PIP )
Dr Laura Fisk 739 ( Green )
Karen Helsby Entwistle 132 ( Ind )

The Conservative vote share increased by 9.4%, which combined with Labour's fall of 9.9% led to Mrs Cooper losing her seat and the Conservative's taking Burnley for the first time since the modern Labour party was founded. The turnout was 60.6%, down by 1.7% in 2017.

The morning after the election, the leader of the Labour group on Burnley Council, Mark Townsend, posted a withering attack on Jeremy Corbyn on his Facebook page .... " You no longer speak for many of us and I'm fed up of trying to defend the indefensible ! ". his post was met with mixed responses, some agreeing but others not, " you disgust me ", was one of the stronger emotions expressed.

Before being deleted, Brexit party Councillor, Alan Hosker, had a Facebook spat with local organiser, Julie Ellison. She accused him of supporting the Conservatives when one of his posts ended with " Get Brexit Done "! Understandably, he wasn't happy when she allegedly said to him, " you must earn my respect ", when he's been elected twice as a Borough Councillor and again as a County Councillor ..

At the count, I'm told that whilst the votes piled up for Labour in Daneshouse & Stoneyholme, Queensgate and Bank Hall, the other 12 wards were ( in the words of a Green party member present ) nearly a " landslide " for the Conservatives. Once the results were announced, I'm led to believe Julie Cooper left very quickly, having made no speech and refusing to talk to the press.

I luv my wife
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Re: Gen. Election in Burnley ... the final word

Post by I luv my wife » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:15 am

I seem to remember when Mrs Cooper was beaten by Gordon Birtwistle ( libdem) left rapidly and failed to show up for the Sunday count for her local councillors and now she as been beaten by the conservatives oh dear
In fact Clarets4me when was the last time a mp or mp elect as been beaten twice by the main opposition party's theres one to ponder happy xmas
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:41 am

It's certainly never been done in Burnley before ...

One positive from all this is that we've probably seen the last of dodgy " Bar charts " in the Lib-Dem leaflets proclaiming, " It's a two horse race " and " Can't win here " ... With Gordon Birtwistle almost certainly having run his last race, I suspect it may be a while until they re-emerge as a force in Burnley. It goes without saying that the retirement this year from Civic life of a certain " distinguished and much respected " Councillor for Whittlefield & Ightenhill is perhaps a blow from which the Lib-Dems may never recover !! :lol:

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:10 am

With BUrnley now a marginal seat and another election five years away, the UK will be out of the EU for :3-4 years by the time of the next vote. It leaving the EU works out to the people of Burnleys advantage, the Tories you’d think would get back in. But If Brexit ends up to be a disaster for the UK, only the Tories will be to blame.
It’s important that the Labour Party elect new party leader with a centre-left agenda, who is credible, statesmanlike, with a party manifesto that connects with people and is properly funded and deliverable.
Labour will reform and return as they did after Michael Foots years and now Jeremy Corbyn.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:43 am

mikeS wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:10 am
With BUrnley now a marginal seat and another election five years away, the UK will be out of the EU for :3-4 years by the time of the next vote. It leaving the EU works out to the people of Burnleys advantage, the Tories you’d think would get back in. But If Brexit ends up to be a disaster for the UK, only the Tories will be to blame.
It’s important that the Labour Party elect new party leader with a centre-left agenda, who is credible, statesmanlike, with a party manifesto that connects with people and is properly funded and deliverable.
Labour will reform and return as they did after Michael Foots years and now Jeremy Corbyn.
I'm hoping the Tories give Burnley some funding with being a marginal seat. It certainly hasn't done the town any good being run by Labour, when the Tories have been in power.

Early suggestions are the Labour top brass want to continue with hard left leaders/policies so it could be some time before they get voted back in. Let's hope we never have to see the useless Cooper running for Burnley again.

claret2018
Been Liked: 809 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:39 pm

"I'm hoping the Tories give Burnley some funding"

hahahahahaha good one
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

claret wizard
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:38 pm

claret2018 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:39 pm

hahahahahaha good one
This is the myth perpetuated by the Labour Party. They shut the A&E, not the Tories. They also saddled us with the PFI nightmare of the new schools in Burnley.
Read this article, from the East Lancs trust highlighting the £60m investment, most of which has been under the Tories.

https://elht.nhs.uk/news-and-media/news ... g-hospital

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2903 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:50 pm

Interesting on Labours school investment. One of our boys has been studying at the state of the Hambledon school while his school in Accrington undergoes repair.

A state of the art facility for Burnley that has never been staffed. Labour policy meant building firms were getting paid for schools with no pupils, and a council that realised they got more money in for building them.... their need became an irrelevance.
This user liked this post: basil6345789

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:44 pm

Just landed in London.... seems the sunlit Tory uplands have been swapped for proper Burnley weather. Can’t wait to see the new centre of wealth for the northwest when I get there tomorrow. Expecting at least 1 in 4 terraced houses to be black and white wooden clad with a thatched roof, and posh coffee shops all over.

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1615 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:46 pm

Wait until the New year for that Dan, areas still currently looking like the golden mile...

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:28 pm

It’ll have to be a second visit CTID..... too expensive to stay for more than the bare minimum days in these modern times.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:47 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:33 pm
Antony Hegginbotham 15,720 ( Con )
Julie Cooper 14,368 ( Lab )
Gordon Birtwistle 3,501 ( L/D )
Stewart Scott 3,362 ( Brexit )
Charles Briggs 1,162 ( B&PIP )
Dr Laura Fisk 739 ( Green )
Karen Helsby Entwistle 132 ( Ind )

The Conservative vote share increased by 9.4%, which combined with Labour's fall of 9.9% led to Mrs Cooper losing her seat and the Conservative's taking Burnley for the first time since the modern Labour party was founded. The turnout was 60.6%, down by 1.7% in 2017.

The morning after the election, the leader of the Labour group on Burnley Council, Mark Townsend, posted a withering attack on Jeremy Corbyn on his Facebook page .... " You no longer speak for many of us and I'm fed up of trying to defend the indefensible ! ". his post was met with mixed responses, some agreeing but others not, " you disgust me ", was one of the stronger emotions expressed.

Before being deleted, Brexit party Councillor, Alan Hosker, had a Facebook spat with local organiser, Julie Ellison. She accused him of supporting the Conservatives when one of his posts ended with " Get Brexit Done "! Understandably, he wasn't happy when she allegedly said to him, " you must earn my respect ", when he's been elected twice as a Borough Councillor and again as a County Councillor ..

At the count, I'm told that whilst the votes piled up for Labour in Daneshouse & Stoneyholme, Queensgate and Bank Hall, the other 12 wards were ( in the words of a Green party member present ) nearly a " landslide " for the Conservatives. Once the results were announced, I'm led to believe Julie Cooper left very quickly, having made no speech and refusing to talk to the press.
Alan Hosker, posted many posts supporting the Tories, he was instructed to remove them or have the whip removed. He left one post up but deleted the rest.

At the count there were 6 tables, table 5 was the one you mention above. My take was table 1-4 were going about 10 to 8 to the Tories, table 5 was 10 to 7 to Labour and table 6 was even. I went and congratulated Antony at about ten past 11 when it became clear to me he had won.
Cooper refused to thank the polling and count staff in the most disgraceful display of arrogance I have ever seen at a count. Mr Birtwistle did and pointed out his disappointment at Cooper. She stood over table 5 for two hours, not sure she could believe the amount of Tory and Brexit Party votes in that area. BP took about 600 votes and that was a surprise.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:48 pm

claret2018 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:39 pm

hahahahahaha good one
Schools have already got £600 per pupil extra!!!

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:18 pm

Is that for every student or those recognised as coming from economically deprived backgrounds - of which there are quite a few in Burnley?

bobinho
Been Liked: 4092 times
Has Liked: 6568 times

Post by bobinho » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:16 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:47 pm
Alan Hosker, posted many posts supporting the Tories, he was instructed to remove them or have the whip removed. He left one post up but deleted the rest.

At the count there were 6 tables, table 5 was the one you mention above. My take was table 1-4 were going about 10 to 8 to the Tories, table 5 was 10 to 7 to Labour and table 6 was even. I went and congratulated Antony at about ten past 11 when it became clear to me he had won.
Cooper refused to thank the polling and count staff in the most disgraceful display of arrogance I have ever seen at a count. Mr Birtwistle did and pointed out his disappointment at Cooper. She stood over table 5 for two hours, not sure she could believe the amount of Tory and Brexit Party votes in that area. BP took about 600 votes and that was a surprise.
Another demonstration of her utter contempt for her constituents, as if we didn’t know that already.

Disgraceful behaviour by an elected (now thankfully ousted) official.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:28 pm

At least Peter Pike was a Claret!

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:59 pm

Alan Hosker tried to sue me over 20 years ago when I was his dentist. Complete load of lies that never got past a couple of solicitors letters. So my opinion of him is somewhat tainted, a lying bas###d.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:22 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:59 pm
Alan Hosker tried to sue me over 20 years ago when I was his dentist. Complete load of lies that never got past a couple of solicitors letters. So my opinion of him is somewhat tainted, a lying bas###d.

What happened while he was under .🙄

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:26 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:59 pm
What did you bwoody do to him?

It doesn't look like he's staying in the Brexit party but he's very helpful if you need something sorting.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:37 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:26 pm
What did you bwoody do to him?

It doesn't look like he's staying in the Brexit party but he's very helpful if you need something sorting.
Well I'm glad he's useful these days , it was a long time ago but he lied in order to try to get compensation, as I said, it was dismissed due to being a load of bullsh##, but tainted my opinion of him. He used to drive round in his taxi with St George Cross flags draped everywhere back in the day, complete two hat.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:38 pm

COBBLE wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:18 pm

Is that for every student or those recognised as coming from economically deprived backgrounds - of which there are quite a few in Burnley?
No answer. Repeat challenge. Please answer.

aggi
Been Liked: 2113 times

Post by aggi » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:49 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:44 pm
Just landed in London.... seems the sunlit Tory uplands have been swapped for proper Burnley weather. Can’t wait to see the new centre of wealth for the northwest when I get there tomorrow. Expecting at least 1 in 4 terraced houses to be black and white wooden clad with a thatched roof, and posh coffee shops all over.

You should have gone to Islington Dan. The streets are paved with ivory there, well known fact.

Pidgeon
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Pidgeon » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:12 am

Cooper and the Labour Party got exactly what they deserved. Their arrogance and obstruction around Brexit was pathetic. Whilst Labour keep lurching more to the left, their chances of forming a government dwindles.
This user liked this post: basil6345789