No One Likes Us.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: No One Likes Us.

Post by TVC15 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Bournemouth fans were wrong - simply as.
Not sure who co-commentator was on Sky - possibly Gayle - but he got it spot on saying there was absolutely nothing wrong with the challenge.
So Fraser got hurt - so what ? Players have got hurt for years accidentally.

As for Burnley needing to be a bit careful - we already are. Hence our great disciplinary record over many seasons. This is no co-incidence or being lucky - it’s obviously the way Dyche manages the team and his instructions to not be wreckless and risk suspensions (with our small squad) or give away free kicks in dangerous areas against teams with dead ball quality etc.
If anything we have been too soft at times - look at the way we let Son run riot for 90 minutes. I think any other team in the division would have tried to kick / intimidate him when he is on that kind of form.
Even the sending offs we have had I can’t remember any really bad challenges - Hendrick’s was probably the worst and that was a few years ago now.

It’s just lazy stereotypes again - they look at Dyche and assume because he looks and sounds tough that we are a dirty northern team full of cloggers.
These 3 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret Ashingtonclaret46 tim_noone

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:21 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:16 pm
Bournemouth fans were wrong - simply as.
Not sure who co-commentator was on Sky - possibly Gayle - but he got it spot on saying there was absolutely nothing wrong with the challenge.
So Fraser got hurt - so what ? Players have got hurt for years accidentally.

As for Burnley needing to be a bit careful - we already are. Hence our great disciplinary record over many seasons. This is no co-incidence or being lucky - it’s obviously the way Dyche manages the team and his instructions to not be wreckless and risk suspensions (with our small squad) or give away free kicks in dangerous areas against teams with dead ball quality etc.
If anything we have been too soft at times - look at the way we let Son run riot for 90 minutes. I think any other team in the division would have tried to kick / intimidate him when he is on that kind of form.

Even the sending offs we have had I can’t remember any really bad challenges - Hendrick’s was probably the worst and that was a few years ago now.

It’s just lazy stereotypes again - they look at Dyche and assume because he looks and sounds tough that we are a dirty northern team full of cloggers.
Fair comment about Son. We certainly dont make those sorts of tackles- but we will get a reputation in the air of we aren't careful. It's in arguable that Tarks arm caught Fraser. That doesn't make it a foul of course, but I suspect Burnley fans would want them the other way round- and if barnes were on the end of that challenge he'd certainly be making the most of it to win a free kick.

Ad for stereotypes- you may well be right about that but we should be wary of unnecessarily feeding that stereotype. Even refs are prone to believing them, and that would threaten that disciplinary record (which I suspect is already less good than in previous seasons).

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2635 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:45 pm

claretspice wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:54 am
I wasnt referring to the Mee/Carroll potential red card incident. I was referring to the way Carroll jumps normally, eg when he flattened Bardsley in heading for goal. Plenty of our fans wanted yellow cards and free kicks for those challenges.

At the end of he day I did say it was arguable. Tarks did win the ball clean as you like but he did catch him (unintentionally). Personally I think the ref got it right, but Bournemouth fans universally think it was a foul and I think sky's commentary team were a bit surprised that Atkinson didn't give a free kick.

I definitely think we have to be a bit careful with how much of an emphasis we put on physicality and aerial challenges of that nature. Unusually we've become if anything more robust, direct and physical during our four years in this league. Most teams go the other way and I've detected a noticeable increase in the amount of wingeing/complaining/noting/warning (depending on your point of view) from opposition players about our "style". Fair to say that rightly or wrongly, the tide of the game isn't really with us there.
As you say, the tide of the game isn't really with us because we still treat the game as a contact sport, whereas FIFA seem to be doing all that they can to make it a non-contact sport and lots of fans are being pushed into accepting this by the continuous attention paid by the media to what are basically 'non-incidents' such as Carroll's header against Bardsley and Tarkowski's challenge on Saturday. We saw Tarkowki penalised for a great challenge on the ground at Watford, took the ball fair and square, did not even touch his opponent but was penalised because it endangered his opponent!

The day is coming when, at the behest of those running the game, the young players coming through academies will be coached and told not to tackle because they will be penalised. This will be borne out by officials who come through the system and who will be told that they must penalise physical contact. You can sense that this is slowly creeping in if you watch a lot of football throughout the world and see players being penalised and also cautioned for what we consider to be normal tackles in the English game.

I shall not renew my season ticket next season, not because of the way that we play but because the game is becoming very sterile at the top level and
is not what I want to see. Even Sean Dyche was saying that he is no longer sure what fans do want to see and I certainly wouldn't argue with him about that.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:00 pm

The fact is they are crying because we did a job on them. They cry about us being a dirty bunch but our disciplinary record speaks for itself. When other fans say you don't deserve to win it doesn't matter because all the stats in the world are pointless if you score less than the opposition. Football is a very simple game - who scores most wins - end of. There were some bad looking tackles but who the hell would want to play in that weather anyway? And then some character saying the usual 'I wouldn't want to watch that every week'. Ask the same character whose position he would rather be in, ours or theirs?
It's all part of football and we know the truth, regardless of what the opposing fans say, because they are usually just trotting out the same old cliches about us because they lost.
Burnley are variously:
Boring.
Dirty.
Anti-football.
Horrible to watch.
Etc. etc.
Yeah yeah yeah we've heard it all before.
But then try telling that to the 'Ammers who we stuffed and outplayed so much we could have won 8-0 and it wouldn't have flattered us. I'm beginning to think there really is something in the old 'soft South' argument.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:07 pm

claretspice wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:21 pm
Fair comment about Son. We certainly dont make those sorts of tackles- but we will get a reputation in the air of we aren't careful. It's in arguable that Tarks arm caught Fraser. That doesn't make it a foul of course, but I suspect Burnley fans would want them the other way round- and if barnes were on the end of that challenge he'd certainly be making the most of it to win a free kick.

Ad for stereotypes- you may well be right about that but we should be wary of unnecessarily feeding that stereotype. Even refs are prone to believing them, and that would threaten that disciplinary record (which I suspect is already less good than in previous seasons).
Personally I don’t think it’s arguable at all that Tarks caught Fraser. He won the ball fairly and his momentum / follow through meant that he knocked him over. The vast difference in height between the 2 players and also their respective heading ability meant it was pretty much the dream opportunity for any centre back worth his salt to win the ball against a player who knows he is in the wrong place at the wrong time ! Fraser did not what to even challenge for the ball - and when that happens you can often get hurt.

I do not think we are getting anymore of a reputation than previously. Everybody has said this about Barnes for years that referees would cotton on to him - it doesn’t seem any different this year than other years.
Chris Wood is certainly not a dirty or robust player - infact sometimes I think for his size he could be more robust.
Jay is also not a dirty player.
The toughest “dirtiest” player we have is Bardsley and to be fair to him I think he is pretty disciplined but hard - there was a spell a couple of years ago i thought he was a red card waiting to happen but he times his tough tackles well and whilst he can play on the edge does not seem to step over the line (though he is capable of it !!)

Our midfield does not possess the big physical / robust player that many teams do - look at Man City for example. I have rarely seen a team more cynical without the ball - Fernandinho, Otamendi and Rodri commit so many fouls but all of their team are under instructions from their manager to bring down any player who goes passed them. Can you imagine if that was us doing that ?

I just don’t see this as an issue at all - and if we get someone sent off this week for a bad foul then that does not make it a problem either !!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:09 pm

claretspice wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:54 am
I wasnt referring to the Mee/Carroll potential red card incident. I was referring to the way Carroll jumps normally, eg when he flattened Bardsley in heading for goal. Plenty of our fans wanted yellow cards and free kicks for those challenges.

At the end of he day I did say it was arguable. Tarks did win the ball clean as you like but he did catch him (unintentionally). Personally I think the ref got it right, but Bournemouth fans universally think it was a foul and I think sky's commentary team were a bit surprised that Atkinson didn't give a free kick.

I definitely think we have to be a bit careful with how much of an emphasis we put on physicality and aerial challenges of that nature. Unusually we've become if anything more robust, direct and physical during our four years in this league. Most teams go the other way and I've detected a noticeable increase in the amount of wingeing/complaining/noting/warning (depending on your point of view) from opposition players about our "style". Fair to say that rightly or wrongly, the tide of the game isn't really with us there.
In that case I agree with you. Carroll has every right to do that. Interestingly Bardsley said he enjoyed the contest. Those whingers at Bournemouth are crying like kids who have got no Christmas presents.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3193 times
Has Liked: 1873 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:33 pm

I wonder if these Bournemouth fans have relatives from Newcastle

They seem to have the same mentality
This user liked this post: tim_noone

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:14 pm

LeadBelly wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:53 pm
That's it; the bonuses players get at the end of the season will be based on league position/points gained, there will be no bonus dependent on style points out of ten.
You may have hit on the next big thing in football (the way it's going). Think judges. Think Dancing on Ice and that kind of thing. Half a dozen (obviously mixed race and gender to keep PC happy) judges on the sideline holding up cards for entertainment. Now, Son's goal against us would have got 6 10s and a big round of applause, whereas our ruled out equaliser at Leicester would have earned Brown a high score for his acrobatics but might have lost a few points for artistic merit (or lack of). A good dive would achieve a high score and if it lead to a penalty it would be awarded more (but only for the big six). A player who completely fools the referee could get 10s for being 'convincing', as in a goal 'scored' with the hand from an offside position after the game should have ended (Aresenal at the Turf a couple of years back). Every say 30 points would count as an extra goal so putting a great emphasis on 'entertainment'.

Of course if this happened we would be hopelessly relegated and Dyche would suddnely become unemployable. :lol: :lol: :lol:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:17 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:33 pm
I wonder if these Bournemouth fans have relatives from Newcastle

They seem to have the same mentality
Mmm...doubt it but they MAY have relatives in Brighton. There may be 'relations' in Brighton, say no more, wink wink, nudge nudge. Know wot I mean guvna.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:51 pm

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2698 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:18 pm

I remember a 1-0 victory a Bournemouth...think we just sgned Ian Cox...poxy little ground...about 5k on...atmosphere no better than the average morgue...

it really was a nothing club until some Russian crook with a fat wallet turned up...and it will go back to being one as soon as hes gone.

They're basically Accy Stanley with a bit of temporary wedge.
This user liked this post: Bosscat