ARTICLE: The sad passing of Martin Peters

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

ARTICLE: The sad passing of Martin Peters

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:00 pm

First thing I heard when I got back in the car yesterday at Bournemouth after the game. As I've said in this short article, it's another part of my youth that has gone. Fantastic player.

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/the-sad-pa ... tin-peters

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Re: ARTICLE: The sad passing of Martin Peters

Post by CleggHall » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Yes a nice tribute Tony, a truly great player.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 519 times

Post by beddie » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Good article. I agree entirely with "it's another part of your youth gone" I thought exactly the same this morning. Wonderful player on his day. Condolences to all his family.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2010 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:54 pm

I remember getting Martian Peters for my Panini sticker collection in 1980. I was gutted (I only ever wanted the little half sized Burnley stickers that year, if truth be known. But my dad was really pleased, “he only plays for Norwich” I pointed out... John Bond’s team. Also included Roger Hansberry in goal, as an aside.

My dad pointed to the little right up below the picture... he scored in the World Cup. He was always appearing on chat shows in the 80’s so got to see him a lot more after that....

RIP Mr Peters, a gentleman and a sad loss. Thoughts are with his family

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:28 pm

Fitting to have an article on a player who should have been knighted. Very sad news. Should never be underestimated how great a player he was. He reminded me very much of another childhood hero Johnny White of Spurs. RIP Martin Peters and thanks for what you did for this country.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:36 pm

ashtonlongsider wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:28 pm
Fitting to have an article on a player who should have been knighted. Very sad news. Should never be underestimated how great a player he was. He reminded me very much of another childhood hero Johnny White of Spurs. RIP Martin Peters and thanks for what you did for this country.
I sort of very selectively write about players who have had no connections with Burnley when they pass away. There’s no criteria, it’s just whether I think it’s appropriate. Lofthouse, Finney & Clayton I included for obvious reasons and I also think an England World Cup winner fits too.

I agree with you on John White. What a sad loss he was. Brilliant player for Spurs and only 27 when he died.