Sky Sports Dave Jones

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Sky Sports Dave Jones

Post by groove » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:04 am

Dave Jones is being hammered on social media for seeming to distance himself from Gary Neville's views on racism in the game. I think he was under instruction through his earpiece to clarify the views weren't the views of Sky Sports, especially as the major political parties were mentioned. But it's come across like he didn't agree with Neville.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: Sky Sports Dave Jones

Post by MACCA » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 am

I didnt see the 2nd half, so not seen or heard what went on other than a brief news report on the radio this morning, but they didnt go into any depth.

What's actually gone in in the game?

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 am

He’s a well known sports presenter, that’s his job. He is paid to do what he is told. Gary Neville is someone who is paid for his opinions and is a wealthy enough man to be able to court controversy.
Neville made many points about Racism in the game and society which many would agree with, laying the problem at the door of Corbyn or Johnson is bound to be controversial. Jones didn’t want to go down that route, so is then made out to be the bad guy on social media.
Putting it on here will get a similar response.

groove

Post by groove » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:21 am

MACCA wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 am
I didnt see the 2nd half, so not seen or heard what went on other than a brief news report on the radio this morning, but they didnt go into any depth.

What's actually gone in in the game?
Ref stopped the game after a player heard monkey noises. A tannoy announcement was made saying "Racism is interfering with the game ".
This user liked this post: clerkenwell.claret

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:24 am

MrTopTier wrote:
He’s a well known sports presenter, that’s his job. He is paid to do what he is told. Gary Neville is someone who is paid for his opinions and is a wealthy enough man to be able to court controversy.
Neville made many points about Racism in the game and society which many would agree with, laying the problem at the door of Corbyn or Johnson is bound to be controversial. Jones didn’t want to go down that route, so is then made out to be the bad guy on social media.
He may have been told to say it through an earpiece but I presume he’s bright enough to realise surely there is no balanced debate to be had on racism??

groove

Post by groove » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:25 am

MrTopTier wrote:
I think it's more a case of Jones being told to clarify that the views weren't those of Sky Sports. Neville pounced straight away asking him if he disagreed. Feel sorry for Jones, he'll be the fall guy in this.

groove

Post by groove » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:26 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:24 am
He may have been told to say it through an earpiece but I presume he’s bright enough to realise surely there is no balanced debate to be had on racism??
Yes, that was an unfortunate turn of phrase to use.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 am

Clearly told to say that but it didn't come across well and his suggestion of a balanced debate was a ridiculous thing to say.

He's a director now of Sunderland, I wonder what his club thought of his comments.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:45 am

According to Jones it was the bit about blaming the political parties that sky were distancing themselves from, quite understandable really, the idiots would be racist whoever was in charge

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:59 am

MrTopTier wrote:
laying the problem at the door of Corbyn or Johnson is bound to be controversial
I think Neville was more laying the blame with society but saying that the fact both major political parties have been able to get away with barely addressing several race issues is a sign that society is accepting of racist behaviour.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1000 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:00 am

When G Nev commented previously (just before the general election) about the Prime Minister being partly to blame for a racist incident (Man City supporter v ManU). I emailed SkySport with a complaint saying whilst I respected GN when a player & now as a pundit I thought it was wrong to associate racism with a political party head before an election.
Got a response saying it was just "spur of the moment/own opinion" in the heat of a live debate etc and that theyd now reminded all sports presenters to keep politics out of sports progs.

I didnt watch SkySport yesterday so didnt see first hand what happened. If GN stated a view on racism in the game- absolutely fair enough. If, though, he's blaming one politician/political party for this happening- he is out of order IMO and clearly going against SkySports guidelines/wishes that he has recently been reminded about.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:02 am

LeadBelly wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:00 am
When G Nev commented previously (just before the general election) about the Prime Minister being partly to blame for a racist incident (Man City supporter v ManU). I emailed SkySport with a complaint saying whilst I respected GN when a player & now as a pundit I thought it was wrong to associate racism with a political party head before an election.
Got a response saying it was just "spur of the moment/own opinion" in the heat of a live debate etc and that theyd now reminded all sports presenters to keep politics out of sports progs.

I didnt watch SkySport yesterday so didnt see first hand what happened. If GN stated a view on racism in the game- absolutely fair enough. If, though, he's blaming one politician/political party for this happening- he is out of order IMO and clearly going against SkySports guidelines/wishes that he has recently been reminded about.
He said that both political parties have had issues with racism, within the parties themselves, and aren't doing anything about it. He then went on to say if it's happening at the top level in government then it's no wonder it's seen as ok on an individual level like at football.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:03 am

LeadBelly wrote:
I emailed SkySport with a complaint saying whilst I respected GN when a player & now as a pundit I thought it was wrong to associate racism with a political party head before an election.
Didn't you have anything better to do with your time?
These 3 users liked this post: joey13 Greenmile tim_noone

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:06 am

Feel sorry for the presenter here.

Of course he'll have had guys down his ear telling him to distance Sky Sports from Neville's comments, and then when Neville bites back he's obviously panicked as he knows he's the one looking like the big bad wolf here.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:11 am

LeadBelly wrote:

Maybe he should pretend we don’t have a problem with racism and not talk about it.
This user liked this post: joey13

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:12 am

Anyone with a brain should be able to separate the platform with the presenters though.

If Neville said he thinks Pepsi tastes like p!ss, it doesn't mean that's an endorsement from Sky Sports.

LeadBelly

Post by LeadBelly » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:13 am

Didn't you have anything better to do with your time?
Got loads of things to do with my time. Old enough & wise enough to use what time I have left how I want and, as a SkySports customer, I was warranted in complaining about something I saw as being not in line with what I'm paying for.
"Have you got nothing better to do with your time" is a cheap shot cliche.

END OF ;)
This user liked this post: Nonayforever

LeadBelly

Post by LeadBelly » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:15 am

Maybe he should pretend we don’t have a problem with racism and not talk about it.
Certainly he should talk about racism in football. However IF he blamed specific politicians/political parties- he's out of line with SkySports policy.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:16 am

LeadBelly wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:15 am
Certainly he should talk about racism in football. However IF he blamed specific politicians/political parties- he's out of line with SkySports policy.
He didn't lay the blame at a single political parties door.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:17 am

LeadBelly wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:15 am
He said both main political parties have a problem with racism. Is he not correct in stating that?

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:19 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:12 am
Anyone with a brain should be able to separate the platform with the presenters though.

If Neville said he thinks Pepsi tastes like p!ss, it doesn't mean that's an endorsement from Sky Sports.
You can't infer for them. They have to be crystal clear, rightly or wrongly, especially if they fear a legal case.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:20 am

As soon as we start listening to G Neville’s views on politics we are in trouble. He just needs to stick to football and whinging about Man Utd.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:21 am

Sky do treat us like children. Commentators apologising for “any foul language you may have heard” ticks me off. Walk past any primary school and the kids are effing and jeffing at each other.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:21 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:19 am
You can't infer for them. They have to be crystal clear, rightly or wrongly, especially if they fear a legal case.
No of course, that's why they do it. It's just insane that it's how it is now.

Things can get spun very easily.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:25 am

SKY probably worried about doing too much damage to their "brand" as well.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:04 pm

Blackrod wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:20 am
As soon as we start listening to G Neville’s views on politics we are in trouble. He just needs to stick to football and whinging about Man Utd.
His views were about Racism
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm glad we have people like G Neville. Looked after the players as well when he was the PFA rep, he's bothered about stuff.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:20 pm

LeadBelly wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:13 am
Got loads of things to do with my time. Old enough & wise enough to use what time I have left how I want and, as a SkySports customer, I was warranted in complaining about something I saw as being not in line with what I'm paying for.
"Have you got nothing better to do with your time" is a cheap shot cliche.

END OF ;)
That's a no then, thought as much :D

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:24 am
Exactly, the only balance is if somebody says it's fine to make racist gestures and taunts at professional football players which it isn't of course.
I'd prefer to see teams docked 12 points each time it happens.

I was talking about this with a mate and we think the best response when somebody (even a section of the crowd) makes monkey noises then the rest of the crowd should drown them out by miaowing at them. Weaponise the animal noises and reduce their petty racism to the ridiculous.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:13 pm

This whole racism in football thing is a complete mess and is being handled badly at every level.

I've seen lot's of daft comments about Bulgaria etc since yesterday and suggesting we need to get our own house in order before we throw stones at other countries and organisations.

The reality is we absolutely do have to get our house in order but the instances are totally different and the issues need handling differently.

We have a major issue in this country with random idiots behaving offensively at games. The instances in this country aren't pre-meditated or organised, they are just stupid ignorant people behaving appallingly. We need to target and eradicate the individuals from our stadiums. We as fans need to help the police to police the issue. Remove the individual and remove that person's right to attend any game. Deal with them in our Court systems. You can't deduct points as policing the issue is difficult and so to penalise an entire club would be unfair on those that behave.

In Bulgaria it was an organised group of tens of people who were hell bent on disrupting the game. Their focus was to disrupt and not to watch the game. They even left together after the anti-racism messages were read out. All of this was in full public view. For this, stadium closures and punishing governing bodies (properly) is the right course of action.
These 2 users liked this post: wilks_bfc CleggHall

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:24 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:13 pm
This whole racism in football thing is a complete mess and is being handled badly at every level.

I've seen lot's of daft comments about Bulgaria etc since yesterday and suggesting we need to get our own house in order before we throw stones at other countries and organisations.

The reality is we absolutely do have to get our house in order but the instances are totally different and the issues need handling differently.

We have a major issue in this country with random idiots behaving offensively at games. The instances in this country aren't pre-meditated or organised, they are just stupid ignorant people behaving appallingly. We need to target and eradicate the individuals from our stadiums. We as fans need to help the police to police the issue. Remove the individual and remove that person's right to attend any game. Deal with them in our Court systems. You can't deduct points as policing the issue is difficult and so to penalise an entire club would be unfair on those that behave.

In Bulgaria it was an organised group of tens of people who were hell bent on disrupting the game. Their focus was to disrupt and not to watch the game. They even left together after the anti-racism messages were read out. All of this was in full public view. For this, stadium closures and punishing governing bodies (properly) is the right course of action.
Well said. I don’t think I can disagree with any of that.

I’m at fan group meetings both at Burnley & nationally next month and I think it is important that this is on the agenda at both.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Social media usually means twitter, which is basically an online gathering of people desperate to be offended.

I dont disagree with anything Neville said. I can understand why Jones added his bit, but it was obvious what the reaction would be like with some of the screamers on there
This user liked this post: dsr

Blackrod

Post by Blackrod » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:28 pm

MrTopTier wrote:

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:28 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:45 pm
I was talking about this with a mate and we think the best response when somebody (even a section of the crowd) makes monkey noises then the rest of the crowd should drown them out by miaowing at them. Weaponise the animal noises and reduce their petty racism to the ridiculous.
Haha

Blackrod

Post by Blackrod » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:28 pm

joey13 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:04 pm
His views were about Racism

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Good post from arise.

My take on why Dave Jones distanced Sky from Neville's comments was because he advocated players leaving the pitch, this would be disastrous for Sky if this happened during one of their games, as a large number of viewers would clearly change channel/turn off rather than listening to the panel discussing what had occurred ad nauseum.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3843 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:17 am
He said both main political parties have a problem with racism. Is he not correct in stating that?
ClaretAndJew wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:16 am
He didn't lay the blame at a single political parties door.
It was after the Manchester derby he blamed Boris and the Tories.
This time he blamed the Tories and Labour.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:30 pm

There are plenty with engrained views that will take many years to eradicate.

That these views are recently coming to the fore publicly is the short term issue, particularly after many years, where such public instances were few and far between.

It’s a worrying trend and I’m not sure what it is that has given these idiots the confidence to air their views but I certainly don’t think it’s down to something like Brexit.

Social Media, for me, certainly seems to have a significant role to play in this.

Blackrod

Post by Blackrod » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:37 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Agree.

I think a good approach would be to humiliate them. Put them in a chair to be interviewed with an audience that can laugh at them and screen this before the next home game on the match day screen. Ask them if they would support their own team if they were full of different coloured players, ask them if they cheer when their own different coloured players score or do something good in a match and ask them if their own team and players want their support when they are chanting this nonsense. They are going to look plain stupid and are unlikely to turn up again. Might teach other idiots too.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:57 pm

I am totally against racism anywhere. But points deductions are a ridiculous suggestion. What is stopping a large minority of city fans going to Liverpools next home game dressed in all the liverpool kit and chanting racist songs or making noises to get them a points deduction. Something does need to be done about it but ooints deductions arent the way.
These 2 users liked this post: Blackrod tim_noone

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:03 pm

The problem with thinking we can educate them is that younger fans who do not really see past the next day do not u derstand the consequences of their choices and will act Billy big balls to impress their elders.

Plus the serial offenders know nothing gets done. I know of several fans that attend Burnley games that are on banning orders and revel in their infamy. No one is bothered. Surely the club should be doing all they can to stop these guys attenfing matches but every week they get through the turnstiles

blake's wand
Been Liked: 54 times

Post by blake's wand » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:21 pm

I think Dave Jones was absolutely spot on - the point (that I don't think anyone disagrees with) could have been made without mentioning political parties of names. Neville feeling the need to preach again - not his place to bring politics into it
This user liked this post: Blackrod

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:24 pm

What is stopping a large minority of city fans going to Liverpools next home game dressed in all the liverpool kit and chanting racist songs or making noises to get them a points deduction.
Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:57 pm

I assume that the allocation of tickets and segregation of fans would stop this.
Firstly, it's doubtful that they would allow city fans in the City end wearing red colours, and even if they did, they would still be identifiable as City supporters.
And it's hard to see how a group of City fans could all get into the Liverpool end , due to all the measures now in place to control who is able to obtain tickets.
A points deduction for just one club would almost certainly put an end to all this, since following that the supporters of every club would self-police this. Just imagine if one of our rivals got 6 points deducted next week, and then a Burnley fan strayed near or beyond the line at the next game. I'm sure we'd all be on top of him within seconds if we thought we might lose points.
Last edited by nil_desperandum on Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:26 pm

Agreed with nearly everything Gary Neville said. I don't think you can blame political parties for somebody acting like a dickhead. My main grievance is people like Stan Collymore taking the moral high ground. He's a chequered past to say the least.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:27 pm

The whole racism fight is getting out of control, to the detriment of us all.
60 000 crowd and some person makes an ignorant comment, and its headline news. A sports pundit makes another ignorant comment and its headline news. The whole of Europe this morning will be talking about the racist British, and its all a load of ********.
When the first migrants came to this country they often had doors slammed in their faces,, even little old blue rinse grannies would use the N word when talking about them.
Anyone old enough to remember Clyde Best for West Ham, will know what real racist abuse is.
The point is, this country has travelled a million miles since those days, there is less racism now than at any point in our history, and it improves everyday.
The problem is we highlight everything. The saying 'if you look for the bad in people, you will surely find it', can be used on any vice.
If you look for racism, you will surely find it. Highlighted by Silva's ridiculous ban for his banter with a team mate.
It gets reported more, because fans take the initiative and point out individuals. A lifetime ban, and eventually it will be scourged from football. But football isnt the problem, its a social one, and whilst football has a part to play in fighting the ignorance out there, it cant be held to account for a social issue.

I just wish the media would keep some sense of reality in their reporting, and a lone voice in a crowd of 60 000 is still a lone voice. Allow Spurs to deal with the idiot, and set him as an example for the rest of their support. Let other clubs do the same, but allow the media darlings disguise the fact, that racism while still abhorrent, is nowhere near as bad as it was, and continues to improve everyday.
This user liked this post: groove

groove

Post by groove » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:41 pm

bodge wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:29 pm
Good post from arise.

My take on why Dave Jones distanced Sky from Neville's comments was because he advocated players leaving the pitch, this would be disastrous for Sky if this happened during one of their games, as a large number of viewers would clearly change channel/turn off rather than listening to the panel discussing what had occurred ad nauseum.
That's an interesting point. Would clubs be in breach of some sort of contract by walking off the field? Surely, if TV companies pay billions for viewing rights, and clubs and indirectly players profit greatly from this, what right do they have to just walk off? If you sell your soul to the devil, you must be prepared to dance with him.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:44 pm

groove wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:41 pm
That's an interesting point. Would clubs be in breach of some sort of contract by walking off the field? Surely, if TV companies pay billions for viewing rights, and clubs and indirectly players profit greatly from this, what right do they have to just walk off? If you sell your soul to the devil, you must be prepared to dance with him.
It isn't in their contract to put up with racist abuse.

They'd have every right to walk off.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2876 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:47 pm

Thought they went completely over the top in commentary yesterday. Yes it needs stopping but is a ten minute dialogue during play really going to help?

It was highlighted fair enough but by the time he’d finished I’d turned over. I prefer my preachers in church not while wat hing football.

We dealt with racism previously by social pressure, and NOT giving idiots the forum they crave. Now we give them five ten minutes prime time exposure...... backward, and will only encourage idiots.

groove

Post by groove » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:56 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:44 pm
It isn't in their contract to put up with racist abuse.

They'd have every right to walk off.
Of course they have the right to walk off. But the paying customer also has a right to view the product that's been paid for. Or is one idiot going to get away with spoiling the game for 60 thousand in the stadium and the millions watching on TV? It appears so.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:03 pm

groove wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:56 pm
Of course they have the right to walk off. But the paying customer also has a right to view the product that's been paid for. Or is one idiot going to get away with spoiling the game for 60 thousand in the stadium and the millions watching on TV? It appears so.
The paying customer doesn't pay to watch players being racially abused either.

Walking off will be the only way to stop this, other than fans self policing themselves.
These 2 users liked this post: claretgimmer evensteadiereddie