ARTICLE: We are more frustrated than disappointed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Re: ARTICLE: We are more frustrated than disappointed

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:06 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:39 am
The bench is only a reflection of our recruitment policy and is completely of our own doing.
"our own doing" ?

More like SD's own doing

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Row Z wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:22 pm
This is the big issue with our current game plan, especially away from home. We rely on the opposition not being able to find a quality moment, either through our good defensive work or their inability to create, but we therefore offer nothing going forward.

I don't have the stats but when we concede early or even first away from home, our record must be terrible as we struggle to adjust to getting at teams.

Even home games, we are turning them into battles to bring the percentages in our favour, yet if the opposition have a little quality we are passed off the pitch. This season I have never seen us roll over as easily to the big boys, think Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool all at home.
I would guess that the majority of teams outside the top 6 get beat when they concede first. It's not just a burnley thing.

Chelsea, City and Liverpool have top international players, we don't. That's why the bookies offer very short prices on them when we play them and we are passed off the pitch. These clubs are in a different league to Burnley.

Row Z
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:40 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:07 pm
I would guess that the majority of teams outside the top 6 get beat when they concede first. It's not just a burnley thing.

Chelsea, City and Liverpool have top international players, we don't. That's why the bookies offer very short prices on them when we play them and we are passed off the pitch. These clubs are in a different league to Burnley.
Yes agreed - and will go some way to justifying Dyche's approach of trying to play for a 0-0 with the potential to nick a goal.

However the Prem is well renowned for every game being competitive, yet these sides rarely need to get out of first gear to beat us at present.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:19 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:06 pm
"our own doing" ?

More like SD's own doing
When i have said 'our' own doing - I was referring to the club.

The state of our bench and squad falls upon the responsibility of the club which includes, but not limited to, the manager, the recruitment teams and the directors.

Dorset Dave
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Dorset Dave » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:47 pm

Well I watched the match yesterday and thought going forward we were pretty rubbish for most of the match. But for the defence putting in a very good shift the scoreline could have been much worse. One shot on target in 2 matches is a very poor return by any stretch. It is not as if Everton are significantly better than us in the first place. Personally I was disappointed at the final whistle.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:16 pm

Clearly confidence is still low. The choice of tactics, and comments made simply show SD is having to coach the players to points and we are playing to that end. Confidence will return (hopefully with a nice couple of signings in Jan) and as confidence grows so the team gets better so players are not so desperate to push the game and we can play football.

Criticising SD for trying to grind out points over Christmas only demonstrates to me that some people think the club is further established than I (or presumably the board) think. I’m happy to wait for all the ducks to be in line all over the club, I’m happy if Burnley Football Club never has to live through another collapse, and I’m happy treading water and grinding out results for another couple of years if it means when we put on another growth spurt, we do so from a position of strength.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:26 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:33 am
Sean was a bit boxed in on this one. If you look at the bench he had JBG just coming back from injury, Barnes on four yellows and the utterly useless Drinkwater as attacking options.

However having selected Brady with McNeil on the other flank they are hardly the players for a backs to the wall defensive job. Plus the new manager factor should have been viewed as an opportunity not a reason to clam up.

It looks like the manager is filling the boys with trepidation in a lot of these type of matches instead of confidence and from the outset they are more or less resigned to defeat because they are in the mindset they are not good enough to compete.
Couldn't agree more. What sort of message is it to send to the players, fans and new targets for January.

Vintage Claret 1946
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Vintage Claret 1946 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:24 am

If we look at our current position in the premier league then I would think we should be satisfied with that position. However our style of play leaves something to be desired.

Defensively we cope quite well but our defence is under constant pressure, I am not sure is this is the tactics the team is being asked to play or if our midfield is so poor they cannot compete with even the poorer teams in the league.

Our recruitment policy over the last few windows has been abysmal, we seem to be bringing in players the manager does not appear to be prepared to play in our first XI. It makes one wonder if the manager is even consulted by the recruitment team.

I have been very disappointed with the after match press conferences where Dyche constantly refers to fine margins and opposition player diving, some of our players appear to be very unstable on their feet when receiving the slightest touch.

Personally I think that there is a lack of ambition from the chairman and board members which is now filtering down the chain.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:33 am

Vintage Claret 1946 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:24 am

Personally I think that there is a lack of ambition from the chairman and board members which is now filtering down the chain.
Have to agree. To see players like McNeil wasting time at 0-0 in the first half on our own attack is very sad to see.

What must he think? This is a player who ran Trent Alexander Arnold ragged. And is wanted by many top clubs.

Encourage flair, fearlessness and flamboyance. Not fear.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:32 pm

Good use of alliteration there, cc. Could it become a club motto?

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Let's sack the low block off tonight and go for it to keep UTC experts happy, would they complain and say how they'd have managed it differently if we got beat? Yes most definitely. Say we grind out a dull 0-0 with the low block would they complain? Most definitely. There's a common theme.

Will UTC posters be complaining later saying United were there for the taking? That is Manchester United, then again some think we are on a par with clubs like them and Everton after a few seasons in the PL.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:55 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:13 am
Rewind 12 months.

Hammered at home to Everton, looked like certs for relegation and UTC posters were calling for Dyche.

24 points, twice as many as last season yet UTC posters still not happy and the Stoke comparison comes out.

Careful what you wish for. 2 years on we might get a late winner to get out of the Championship relegation zone.

Dyche has a limited set of players at his disposal with no real central midfield, not sure what some expect to be honest although having spent 2 minutes on here this morning there some who genuinely think they could do a better job.
Agree with much of what you say. But fact is we are playing worse football than we were 1/2 years ago. We used to get in the faces of the big teams who are now hammering us. Everton, who are far from great, would have been a winnable game

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:00 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:19 pm
When i have said 'our' own doing - I was referring to the club.

The state of our bench and squad falls upon the responsibility of the club which includes, but not limited to, the manager, the recruitment teams and the directors.
What would be laughable if not serious is why is Drinkwater on the bench. Hes due to leave next week and hasnt had a full league game yet.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:04 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:55 pm
Agree with much of what you say. But fact is we are playing worse football than we were 1/2 years ago. We used to get in the faces of the big teams who are now hammering us. Everton, who are far from great, would have been a winnable game
It's probably down to lack of decent players , in particular the centre of midfield. Recruitment is difficult for Burnley as we are not an attractive proposition for a few reasons that won't change.