ARTICLE: We are more frustrated than disappointed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

ARTICLE: We are more frustrated than disappointed

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:28 pm

Carlo Ancelotti and Sean Dyche after today's game

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/we-are-mor ... sappointed

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: ARTICLE: We are more frustrated than disappointed

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:46 pm

Is there actually a difference?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:49 pm

Just read the report. So we went to Everton. A team below us in the league. Who we have already beaten. Who have a distinctly average side. And played a new formation. With pressure to win for the new manager. And we actually went there for a nil nil?

At least it explains why Barnes didn't start amd why Wood was brought off as he was saving them for the next game.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:59 pm

More performances like this going into next year and more and more people will be demanding a change - this is not football

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:44 pm

Dyche quoted his usual guff whilst Ancelloti must be horrified with the players he has inherited. All he could say was we are a family & have good facilities !
Can't see him seeing his contract out.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:23 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:49 pm
Just read the report. So we went to Everton. A team below us in the league. Who we have already beaten. Who have a distinctly average side. And played a new formation. With pressure to win for the new manager. And we actually went there for a nil nil?

At least it explains why Barnes didn't start amd why Wood was brought off as he was saving them for the next game.

His worst press conference to date that, basically said I’d have been happy to draw! ******* idiot

Row Z
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:33 am

States he never sets out for a 0-0 yet this is arguably his gameplan in 90% of away games.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:36 am

Yeah cheers to the fans who travelled and gave up Boxing Day to watch us not even try to win..pathetic attitude and performance.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1182 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:48 am

that’s where you learn to play for position, not possession, by shaping it down the line and gathering your shape
Had to laugh at this very elaborate description of hoofing it down the pitch. :lol:

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:57 am

The football is supposed to get better the longer you stay in the premier league with all the resources available.

We can't accept players not wanting the ball and then hurriedly giving it away.

The football has been dire for a while now but people say it's successful.

We're getting more stick than Stoke did these days from opposition fans. The Everton fans in the pub after the game couldn't believe how bad we were.

It's not a one off playing like this, it's a one off putting an exciting performance in.

burnley007
Been Liked: 640 times
Has Liked: 670 times

Post by burnley007 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:06 am

At least last season we scored some fantastic goals, this season we are totally one directional.
Things have to improve

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:29 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:57 am
The football is supposed to get better the longer you stay in the premier league with all the resources available.

We're getting more stick than Stoke did these days from opposition fans. The Everton fans in the pub after the game couldn't believe how bad we were.

It's not a one off playing like this, it's a one off putting an exciting performance in.
The football we play is every bit as bad as the way Stoke played under Pulis. Even McNeil is starting to get dragged down by it now.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:13 am

Rewind 12 months.

Hammered at home to Everton, looked like certs for relegation and UTC posters were calling for Dyche.

24 points, twice as many as last season yet UTC posters still not happy and the Stoke comparison comes out.

Careful what you wish for. 2 years on we might get a late winner to get out of the Championship relegation zone.

Dyche has a limited set of players at his disposal with no real central midfield, not sure what some expect to be honest although having spent 2 minutes on here this morning there some who genuinely think they could do a better job.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Helmshore Claret

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:18 am

Post match press conferences are a load of old tosh IMO.

We rarely play for a 0-0, we do it every away game.
We time waste from minute 1, hit the channels and take an age for every throw in, set peice, goal kick.

I cant recall us setting up to go for it away from home with a high tempo fast start.
I cant recall us setting up differently to surprise or counter the oppositions stregths.

It's the same few back passes from midfield, a few shifts a long the back line before either a long diagonal from a CB, or it's back to Pope for a long punt.

That's the tactic whether its Bournemouth and Villa away, or Man City or Liverpool.

We dont play football, thsts not how our manager wants to do things for one reason or another. He wants to get to 40 points each year and uses the tactics, players and game plan most suitable to get that.

If you cant see that, or even hear it when he tells us in interviews etc you're going to being very disappointed for many more games this season and every season he remains here.

Stacky_claret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 224 times

Post by Stacky_claret » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:24 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:57 am

I hope you reminded the fickle Everton fans that despite their 100’s of million pound squad that they only managed to beat us 1-0 at home which was also down to an individual error 😀

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:49 am

I'm far more disappointed than frustrated.
When you create nothing, again, theres nothing to get frustrated about.
SD needs to take the blinkers off. We defend solidly, we need to, and everyone understands that we have to set up that way, but our lack of presence when we have the ball is embarrassing. You can look at everyother team in the league, and they have players who can open a team up, or create space, who can pass a ball to a team mate without putting him in the ****. Our football is terrible, but sadly its getting worse not better. We've played this way so long its as if we've forgotten how to play any other way.
Its time to grow a set of balls, I'd rather go down fighting than like this.
These 2 users liked this post: claretfern box_of_frogs

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by burnleymik » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:54 am

Dyche : "I thought we took the game on in the second half"

I think I missed that bit....

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:32 am

burnleymik wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:54 am
Dyche : "I thought we took the game on in the second half"

I think I missed that bit....

We kicked off... was you late back from.the toilet?
This user liked this post: burnleymik

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:44 am

"there wasn't a lot in it"

The stats say otherwise and for us who were unfortunate to have bought a ticket, you could see there was only one team in it. And that's despite Everton being pretty shite themselves

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by burnleymik » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:46 am

MACCA wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:32 am
We kicked off... was you late back from.the toilet?
:lol: :lol:

I stood there the whole game, including half time, listening to two old fellas grumbling about our midfield and how we couldn't string a two passes together.

Actually the highlight was at half time when a guy proposed to his girlfriend in the centre circle and the Burnley fans started singing "You don;t know what your doing" :lol: :lol:

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:47 am

Belial wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:44 am
"there wasn't a lot in it"

The stats say otherwise and for us who were unfortunate to have bought a ticket, you could see there was only one team in it. And that's despite Everton being pretty shite themselves
Everton weren't great by any means but they were the only team looking to play football and try and create something.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:02 am

Stacky_claret wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:24 am
I hope you reminded the fickle Everton fans that despite their 100’s of million pound squad that they only managed to beat us 1-0 at home which was also down to an individual error 😀
They know Everton are bad, they just couldn't believe we could be twice as bad as them.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:05 am

burnleymik wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:46 am
:lol: :lol:

I stood there the whole game, including half time, listening to two old fellas grumbling about our midfield and how we couldn't string a two passes together.

Actually the highlight was at half time when a guy proposed to his girlfriend in the centre circle and the Burnley fans started singing "You don;t know what your doing" :lol: :lol:
I mentioned it on another thread, often watching a few people grumbling or arguing, or people picking fights over who's stood up or in their seats have been the highlight of most our away games.

If we arent playing Bournemouth or Watford we shouldn't bother going :lol:

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:08 am

NL Claret wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:13 am
Rewind 12 months.

Hammered at home to Everton, looked like certs for relegation and UTC posters were calling for Dyche.

24 points, twice as many as last season yet UTC posters still not happy and the Stoke comparison comes out.

Careful what you wish for. 2 years on we might get a late winner to get out of the Championship relegation zone.

Dyche has a limited set of players at his disposal with no real central midfield, not sure what some expect to be honest although having spent 2 minutes on here this morning there some who genuinely think they could do a better job.
We could of been hammered yesterday if they took their chances like 12 months ago.

Dyche has got a limited set of players because that's the type he likes to work with. Average hard working players with a big bonus system works, it's just not pleasant to watch.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:14 am

Going into the next fixture with twice has many points on the board than this time last year, I honestly can't see a lot to moan about.

2019 as been an excellent year for BFC on the pitch and we should be celebrating the fact, not getting on the managers back because we arnt scoring goals for fun like Liverpool. The football we have played this year has been a lot better than pre Xmas 2018.
I honestly think Dyche is a better manager now than 12 months ago, he is certainly not as negative in his tactics since he introduced McNeil and took the shackles off Taylor

clarethomer
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:42 am

Top Claret wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:14 am
Going into the next fixture with twice has many points on the board than this time last year, I honestly can't see a lot to moan about.

2019 as been an excellent year for BFC on the pitch and we should be celebrating the fact, not getting on the managers back because we arnt scoring goals for fun like Liverpool. The football we have played this year has been a lot better than pre Xmas 2018.
Can’t disagree with any of that.

We play to our strengths but I sense that the frustration is building with our style of play.

I’ve walked away from games feeling good because of the way we have played but Its clear to me that if our midfielders are not playing their best game, our performance significantly drops to the point where it’s awful to watch. If I was asked to pay more than my current season ticket cost, it would make me think twice.

I keep saying that the club needs more players but I then keep reminding myself that these players rarely succeed or bring competition as we never play them.

I’m pleased that it looks like we have enough to stay up. I’m pleased we are in a stronger position than last year. I’m pleased that we have the ability on our day to give a good show.

I’m considering going full time on streams next year to continue watching us given that it’s getting to the point where it’s like watching the channel that has the same repeat programs on.

We need to inject something Into the club which creates the feeling we want to win each game and dominate. Not time waste and hope to nick one goal in the last 20 mins which is what it feels like in most games.

It’s hard to disagree that we are doing well for a small town club in the premier league. It’s hard to not congratulate the board, the manager and the players for keeping us in the league. It’s hard to ignore that we could be a Bolton or Bury in the future.

However I find the connection with the club and fans weakening when you get comments made about going into a game being fearful of the occasion of a new manager.

What happened to our warrior mentality? What happened to being the underdog and going for an upset rhetoric? Why is it acceptable to expect fans to continue being passionate about their team week in and week out when there is nothing to be passionate about on the field. Maybe we should get some tannoy messages pumping out to help us all keep the bigger picture perspective to why we should accept days like yesterday. 1 shot on target in last 2 games says it all.
These 2 users liked this post: Top Claret claretfern

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:48 am

It could have been so very different had Wood buried that header, he should have burst the net with it.
This user liked this post: KateR

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:53 am

Could have, would have, should have are all things which didn’t happen.

If you view the world in that view, Everton could have had 2 goals from fortunate rebounds had the ball not deflected the way they did.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:57 am

Aclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:48 am
It could have been so very different had Wood buried that header, he should have burst the net with it.
Yes. It would have stayed 0-0. But at least we would have had the excitement of a VAR decision...

Clearly offside

Aclaret

Post by Aclaret » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:00 am

Wood was offside ? Never :o

Roosterbooster

Post by Roosterbooster » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:04 am

2 things really bug me about what Dyche said

"A game plan by design"
What was he designing? Did he do it whilst watching paint dry? He designed a game plan where we created nothing?????? And he is happy with that?????

"We knocked on the door a few times"
Which door??? And with what? Dog breath? Because nobody knew you were there pal!!!! From what I saw we might as well have been knocking on the dark side of the moon, we were that far away...

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:10 am

He's done well to comment on that performance. It was appalling and again I will say unacceptable. For someone who has all kinds of people on his staff regarding match preparation it was a very naive approach to the game. They were the team under pressure; a manager of Ancelloti's pedigree didn't want a scoreline on his debut that put them in the relegation places but we went and gave a mediocre side at.best the room and freedom to settle on the ball. I sat at home and watched but a couple of thousand gave up much of their day as well as paying for the 'privilege'. It was tedious stuff and not something to encourage people to part with their hard earned cash for future fixtures.Not sure about frustrated or.disappointed but.I was definitely relieved when the final whistle.went and it.hurts to say that.

Roosterbooster

Post by Roosterbooster » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:11 am

Aclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:00 am
Wood was offside ? Never :o
Offside 104 times in 66 PL starts

Just for comparison, Yakubu was offside 103 times in over 250 PL starts

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:19 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:49 am
I'm far more disappointed than frustrated.
When you create nothing, again, theres nothing to get frustrated about.
SD needs to take the blinkers off. We defend solidly, we need to, and everyone understands that we have to set up that way, but our lack of presence when we have the ball is embarrassing. You can look at every other team in the league, and they have players who can open a team up, or create space, who can pass a ball to a team mate without putting him in the ****. Our football is terrible, but sadly its getting worse not better. We've played this way so long its as if we've forgotten how to play any other way.
Its time to grow a set of balls, I'd rather go down fighting than like this.
Nail on the head.

Aclaret

Post by Aclaret » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:24 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:10 am
He's done well to comment on that performance. It was appalling and again I will say unacceptable. For someone who has all kinds of people on his staff regarding match preparation it was a very naive approach to the game. They were the team under pressure; a manager of Ancelloti's pedigree didn't want a scoreline on his debut that put them in the relegation places but we went and gave a mediocre side at.best the room and freedom to settle on the ball. I sat at home and watched but a couple of thousand gave up much of their day as well as paying for the 'privilege'. It was tedious stuff and not something to encourage people to part with their hard earned cash for future fixtures.Not sure about frustrated or.disappointed but.I was definitely relieved when the final whistle.went and it.hurts to say that.
Agree totally with that Silkyskills. We played a terrible game and I don't know what the answer is but different posters will tell you the obvious ones.
I went to Goodison against MrsAclarets will, got soaked in the rain watching a crap game of football, why do we do it ? Just in the hope of seeing our team win I suppose and the off chance of watching a decent game.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:26 am

Until we bring in some players of a higher standard along with at least one with flair it's going to be same old, same old. It's all about survival to us, it's not particularly good to watch but that's us I'm afraid. I can't see us spending the sort of money required to get us to the next level, it's too risky. Fasten the seat belts.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:33 am

Sean was a bit boxed in on this one. If you look at the bench he had JBG just coming back from injury, Barnes on four yellows and the utterly useless Drinkwater as attacking options.

However having selected Brady with McNeil on the other flank they are hardly the players for a backs to the wall defensive job. Plus the new manager factor should have been viewed as an opportunity not a reason to clam up.

It looks like the manager is filling the boys with trepidation in a lot of these type of matches instead of confidence and from the outset they are more or less resigned to defeat because they are in the mindset they are not good enough to compete.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:39 am

ClaretLoup wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:33 am
Sean was a bit boxed in on this one. If you look at the bench he had JBG just coming back from injury, Barnes on four yellows and the utterly useless Drinkwater as attacking options.

However having selected Brady with McNeil on the other flank they are hardly the players for a backs to the wall defensive job. Plus the new manager factor should have been viewed as an opportunity not a reason to clam up.

It looks like the manager is filling the boys with trepidation in a lot of these type of matches instead of confidence and from the outset they are more or less resigned to defeat because they are in the mindset they are not good enough to compete.
The bench is only a reflection of our recruitment policy and is completely of our own doing.

Helmshore Claret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Helmshore Claret » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:43 am

burnley007 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:06 am
At least last season we scored some fantastic goals, this season we are totally one directional.
Things have to improve
Think that our goal at Brighton takes some beating;but,I do take your point,this season there has been more of 'a bludgeon than a rapier' approach to our goal scoring.

Safron
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Safron » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:47 am

Chris wilder just been on SSN for a press conference,this guy is a breath of fresh air,if you get the chance to see it do,

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:49 am

Slightly concerned with the thinly veiled comments regarding McNeil about not playing inside and should have gone down the line.

What makes players like McNeill special is that they try something different and yes sometimes it can be costly but if they then become frightened to make a mistake they will then tend to side with the easy option.

ClaretLoup

Post by ClaretLoup » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:00 pm

I think the point was 'That's what you get when you try and play football rather than clear your lines'

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:05 pm

The manager could have picked the exact same XI and played a 4-3-3 come 4-5-1 yesterday. One of his biggest short-comings is his rigidity of playing the same shape time and time again. Very, very disappointing yesterday as Everton were there for the taking but we have 24 points at the half way stage so we are doing very well. We just need to be more proactive in taking a game on...

Safron
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Safron » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Framework son framework 😂😂

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:24 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:05 pm
The manager could have picked the exact same XI and played a 4-3-3 come 4-5-1 yesterday. One of his biggest short-comings is his rigidity of playing the same shape time and time again. Very, very disappointing yesterday as Everton were there for the taking but we have 24 points at the half way stage so we are doing very well. We just need to be more proactive in taking a game on...
It was pretty clear 442 sit deep wasn’t working, we rode our luck to be level with 20 to go, taking off Wood for Gudmundsson with McNeil in behind Rodriguez and pushing the defensive line up 15 yards to try pen them in and retain the ball a little might have worked out better. Why not bring on Drinkwater for a striker and play a 433, press the game with 20 to go. We just sat off and timewasted the entire game.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:35 pm

I was both frustrated and disappointed that we didn't bring Long on as striker much earlier.
This user liked this post: ClaretLoup

ClaretLoup

Post by ClaretLoup » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:52 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:35 pm
I was both frustrated and disappointed that we didn't bring Long on as striker much earlier.
Merry Christmas :D :lol: :lol:

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:09 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:24 pm
It was pretty clear 442 sit deep wasn’t working, we rode our luck to be level with 20 to go, taking off Wood for Gudmundsson with McNeil in behind Rodriguez and pushing the defensive line up 15 yards to try pen them in and retain the ball a little might have worked out better. Why not bring on Drinkwater for a striker and play a 433, press the game with 20 to go. We just sat off and timewasted the entire game.
From the manager's perspective it had worked for 80 mins. So why not another 10 mins. He was happy with 0-0. We all know he's not likely to change something he's happy with. I'm not defending the display at all but a 0-0 would probably have resulted
in a somewhat different response from many on here.

Row Z
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:09 pm
From the manager's perspective it had worked for 80 mins. So why not another 10 mins. He was happy with 0-0
This is the big issue with our current game plan, especially away from home. We rely on the opposition not being able to find a quality moment, either through our good defensive work or their inability to create, but we therefore offer nothing going forward.

I don't have the stats but when we concede early or even first away from home, our record must be terrible as we struggle to adjust to getting at teams.

Even home games, we are turning them into battles to bring the percentages in our favour, yet if the opposition have a little quality we are passed off the pitch. This season I have never seen us roll over as easily to the big boys, think Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool all at home.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:48 pm

should have been a warning with this thread, only for the depressed and suicidal, Yowzer, bunch of moaning minis, I'm more disappointed in the majority of you than frustrated :)