Conservatives win Burnley after 109 years ... why ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Conservatives win Burnley after 109 years ... why ?

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:36 pm

Now the dust has settled on the General Election vote on 12th December, the inquests are beginning ...

Is it the bias of the " Tory " press ? Was Corbyn just un-electable, but actually, did his policies win the argument ? Does it just need a fresh Labour leader, without his " baggage " to win again for Labour ? Locally, was Mrs Cooper a factor, or was she unlucky to be swept away with the tide ? The Labour group leader on Burnley Council, Mark Townsend, launched a blistering attack on Labour's leadership the morning after the election on social media, " I'm fed up of trying to defend the indefensible, Corbyn should go now ... he no longer speaks for me ! " ..

Any local insights would be welcome, eg: Relatives or mates who voted Conservative after a lifetime of voting Labour etc .... what do you think ?

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Re: Conservatives win Burnley after 109 years ... why ?

Post by CleggHall » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:44 pm

A provocative if thought-provoking opening post which asks the main questions. From afar in Newcastle, Corbyn with all his baggage was the main problem, manifesto was 80% OK but announcing many other uncosted proposals daily was idiotic, referendum vote needed to be respected and accepted in places like Burnley, left wing fence sitting and indecisiveness was in stark contrast to Johnson's simplistic message. Whether he can deliver is the next question.
This user liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse

Longsidebogs
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by Longsidebogs » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:49 pm

Perhaps the question should be......what have Labour ever done for Burnley? Then, whilst contemplating that question, jump in the car and drive around Burnley for an hour or so. That should answer your question I think. Oh, and watch out for the pot holes when driving around looking at some absolute eyesores in this town.
These 2 users liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse KateR

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:22 pm

I'm not a labour voter but have voted labour in my time. Julie Cooper worked hard for Burnley but perhaps was not its most charismatic champion. I am pleased that the old predictable voting loyalties were disrupted and hope it remains so. The Greens or at least their priorities should become a force to reckon with. But I think this result was about the 4 or 5 thousand labour voters who temporarily sacrificed labour to express their little Englander mentality. Pity Mark Townsend didn't share his views a little earlier, though.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:30 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:36 pm
Now the dust has settled on the General Election vote on 12th December, the inquests are beginning ...
Is it the bias of the " Tory " press ? Was Corbyn just un-electable, but actually, did his policies win the argument ? Does it just need a fresh Labour leader, without his " baggage " to win again for Labour ? Locally, was Mrs Cooper a factor, or was she unlucky to be swept away with the tide ? The Labour group leader on Burnley Council, Mark Townsend, launched a blistering attack on Labour's leadership the morning after the election on social media, " I'm fed up of trying to defend the indefensible, Corbyn should go now ... he no longer speaks for me ! " ..

Any local insights would be welcome, eg: Relatives or mates who voted Conservative after a lifetime of voting Labour etc .... what do you think ?
I'm sure I've read this post and exact words regards Mark Townsend chap before?

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:31 pm

"Little Englander mentality" - you just don't get it, do you? The People have voted twice and very well informed they were.
These 4 users liked this post: ten bellies Colburn_Claret KateR burnleymik

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:34 pm

Burnley people are very loyal hence labour getting elected everytime. This time there was anger over Brexit and the ex mp not reflecting the view of the town but amongst my friends it was the politically correct over promising London centric leadership that lost the election. Lads on low wages genuinely worried that tax would have to go up to pay for the promises. Also Burnley is quite right wing when it comes to immigration Johnson is in my opinion at times borderline racist and that appealed to some. Also rather surprisingly some people were disgusted with the leaderships anti jewish rhetoric.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:35 pm

basil6345789 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:31 pm
"Little Englander mentality" - you just don't get it, do you? The People have voted twice and very well informed they were.
Abraham Lincoln.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:47 pm

There is a feeling that the Labour party is not a working class party any more. They are an Islington based party of middle class people who are certain that they know what's best for the working class people; and if the working class don't understand what's best for them (ie. the Brexit vote) then the working class must be told again. (And of course the "working class" isn't what it was. The "working class" has cars, houses, foreign holidays, and they like having money and they want more.)

People don't like being talked down to.
These 12 users liked this post: tim_noone Damo Dazzler Danieljwaterhouse Colburn_Claret gawthorpe_view JohnMac bobinho bfcjg Buxtonclaret k90bfc burnleymik

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Aye cause the Tories are helping out the working class.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:56 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:34 pm
Burnley people are very loyal hence labour getting elected everytime. This time there was anger over Brexit and the ex mp not reflecting the view of the town but amongst my friends it was the politically correct over promising London centric leadership that lost the election. Lads on low wages genuinely worried that tax would have to go up to pay for the promises. Also Burnley is quite right wing when it comes to immigration Johnson is in my opinion at times borderline racist and that appealed to some. Also rather surprisingly some people were disgusted with the leaderships anti jewish rhetoric.
I would also add that Burnley has a large number of voters who are either ex-service men or women, or are families of those who have served in the Military. As more and more was revealed about Corbyn's past pronouncements on the IRA, Falklands etc ( As well as John McDonnell & Diane Abbott's ), then this was never going to play well in Burnley ...
These 2 users liked this post: Dazzler bfcjg

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:57 pm

Brexit
This user liked this post: Cirrus_Minor

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:00 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:47 pm
People don't like being talked down to.
To build on this point by DSR I would say in simple terms the people of towns like Burnley much prefer to be lied to whilst being told what they want to hear than talked down to whilst being told whats best for them.
This user liked this post: Granny WeatherWax

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:04 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:00 am
To build on this point by DSR I would say in simple terms the people of towns like Burnley much prefer to be lied to whilst being told what they want to hear than talked down to whilst being told whats best for them.
Superb

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2177 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 am

bfcjg wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:34 pm
Also rather surprisingly some people were disgusted with the leaderships anti jewish rhetoric.
What anti jewish rhetoric?

:?

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:02 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 am

:?
That’ll be the rhetoric invented by the press.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:05 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:57 pm
Brexit
Yeah, it was Brexit. In strong leave places, Labour were never going to get away with their Brexit policy.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:05 am

It was simply due to Labour's failure to honour the leave vote
We should have left 3 yrs ago
The women only shortlist policy also alienated a lot of party members as well.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:39 am

I think that this election has shown us that in general the populace are more interested in personality than policies. They are easily persuaded by the media establishment lies and have a very shallow view of societal needs. Get Brexit Done was just the right buzz phrase and resonated with too many voters who didn't think any further than leaving the EU. The potential damage to the NHS, our living standards, workers rights, pensions etc were forgotten about and sacrificed in the mad rush to the cliff edge on the alter of Brexit. Just my view mind.

Or, a huge chunk of Burnley voters have turned into 10 bob Tories.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:38 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:02 am
That’ll be the rhetoric invented by the press.
When Labour MPs complain about the anti semitism inside the party, how the **** can you claim the press invented it. Stop being so bloody blinkered all the time.
These 4 users liked this post: bobinho bfcjg tiger76 The Enclosure

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:54 am

Corbyn being unlikable and brexit were the main issues

Some of the policies didn’t help

Offering free WiFi to everyone wasn’t a good idea. Even if it’s costed people won’t believe it.

Get in power with sensible policies and then provide free WiFi. Show people it can work. Simply saying it isn’t enough because people believe it’s unattainable.

people also don’t see WiFi as an issues compared to homelessness etc

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:14 am

It isn’t rocket science.

Many of the people who voted Tory for the first time in their lives did so because the Labour party no longer represents their views and interests, and Corbyn’s policies were generally not deemed relevant to their lives.

The best take by far I have heard (warning, it is a long, but brilliant, listen) is this podcast by the Triggernometry guys with Prof Matthew Goodwin, entitled “Why Labour lost the election”. He has totally nailed it and has been saying this would happen for 10-15 years. The podcast is 100% relevant to why Burnley turned blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kf1YKeq7lA
These 2 users liked this post: upanatem LeadBelly

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:16 am

Corky wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:39 am
I think that this election has shown us that in general the populace are more interested in personality than policies. They are easily persuaded by the media establishment lies and have a very shallow view of societal needs. Get Brexit Done was just the right buzz phrase and resonated with too many voters who didn't think any further than leaving the EU. The potential damage to the NHS, our living standards, workers rights, pensions etc were forgotten about and sacrificed in the mad rush to the cliff edge on the alter of Brexit. Just my view mind.

Or, a huge chunk of Burnley voters have turned into 10 bob Tories.
That's a bit of a microcosm of what went wrong. The Labour Party have the same attitude as you. You are so certain that Brexit is likely to damage living standards and the rest of it, that you assume everyone believes the same as you and that those who vote against have decided that damaging them doesn't matter.

It isn't like that. Other people have different opinions to you and other people believe that things like workers' rights will not be affected. If you argue against someone's opinions, they might consider yours and come to your way of thinking; if you carry on as if their views don't exist, then they won't.
These 5 users liked this post: Bosscat bobinho jrtod61 claret_in_exile burnleymik

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:27 am

I want my Government to concern themself with matters pertaining to the UK without bias and without a continual need to champion the cause of each individual minority group of the whatever nature. Sort out the lives of the 65 or so million first.

I didn't believe a Labour Party under the stewardship of their frontbench where anywhere near capable of getting anything realistic done.

I don't buy or read newspapers nor do I watch Party political broadcasts from anyone. You don't need 20/20 vision either to spot frauds and most MP's are frauds juat some are more palatable.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:20 am

JohnMac wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:27 am
I want my Government to concern themself with matters pertaining to the UK without bias and without a continual need to champion the cause of each individual minority group of the whatever nature. Sort out the lives of the 65 or so million first.

I didn't believe a Labour Party under the stewardship of their frontbench where anywhere near capable of getting anything realistic done.

I don't buy or read newspapers nor do I watch Party political broadcasts from anyone. You don't need 20/20 vision either to spot frauds and most MP's are frauds juat some are more palatable.
I agree particularly with the first part of this. The lazily-termed "working class" have a large socially conservative element. In the privacy of the ballot box, a vote against the minority interests of the SJWs that dominate the Labour Party's thinking was certainly part of it.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6536 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:27 am

All these staunch labour areas in the north have one thing in common. They have been “managed” by labour councils and represented by labour mp’s forever, so how have they become so deprived?

Quite simply, and quite fortunately, the people didn’t believe in Corbyn and his “let’s give everything away” policies.
The Labour Party needs to strip itself bare, rid itself once and for all of the shame of anti semitism which damn near tore the party apart from the inside out (without any help from the media), and replace ALL those who were intent on telling us what we should want with those who truly want to represent their people.
Labour MP’s need to remember they have two ears and one mouth, therefore they should listen twice as much as they talk.
This user liked this post: jrtod61

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:39 am

bobinho wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:27 am
All these staunch labour areas in the north have one thing in common. They have been “managed” by labour councils and represented by labour mp’s forever, so how have they become so deprived?

Quite simply, and quite fortunately, the people didn’t believe in Corbyn and his “let’s give everything away” policies.
The Labour Party needs to strip itself bare, rid itself once and for all of the shame of anti semitism which damn near tore the party apart from the inside out (without any help from the media), and replace ALL those who were intent on telling us what we should want with those who truly want to represent their people.
Labour MP’s need to remember they have two ears and one mouth, therefore they should listen twice as much as they talk.

of course they have been deprived under labour.

Why spend time and money winning the votes of people who will vote for you no matter what you do anyway? Better spend that money establishing yourself as the trendy party for middle class wanna-be revolutionaries. Right?

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:46 am

Even now labour are in denial coming out with garbage such as we won the argument etc.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:00 am

bfcjg wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:46 am
Even now labour are in denial coming out with garbage such as we won the argument etc.
None so blind.... or deaf in this case.

The longer Corbyn and his cronies hang around the worse the future looks for them. The worrying thing is their “legacy” may continue if they hang around long enough to affect the leadership contest.

upanatem
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by upanatem » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:06 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:14 am
It isn’t rocket science.

Many of the people who voted Tory for the first time in their lives did so because the Labour party no longer represents their views and interests, and Corbyn’s policies were generally not deemed relevant to their lives.

The best take by far I have heard (warning, it is a long, but brilliant, listen) is this podcast by the Triggernometry guys with Prof Matthew Goodwin, entitled “Why Labour lost the election”. He has totally nailed it and has been saying this would happen for 10-15 years. The podcast is 100% relevant to why Burnley turned blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kf1YKeq7lA
Great link, Crosspool. As you say, a long listen, but he tells it as it is!

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:17 am

COBBLE wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:22 pm
I'm not a labour voter but have voted labour in my time. Julie Cooper worked hard for Burnley but perhaps was not its most charismatic champion. I am pleased that the old predictable voting loyalties were disrupted and hope it remains so. The Greens or at least their priorities should become a force to reckon with. But I think this result was about the 4 or 5 thousand labour voters who temporarily sacrificed labour to express their little Englander mentality. Pity Mark Townsend didn't share his views a little earlier, though.
Question for you. What advantages have 99% of the people of Burnley and elsewhere in The North' got from EU membership and sudden mass immigration? Ask some of them. I can guess a few things and one reply might include Public services stretched beyond the limit.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:20 am

bobinho wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:00 am
None so blind.... or deaf in this case.

The longer Corbyn and his cronies hang around the worse the future looks for them. The worrying thing is their “legacy” may continue if they hang around long enough to affect the leadership contest.

Momentum will win out. Just watch. The so called moderates - all pro EU like Kier Starmer - will never win back their tradtional voters in the likes of Burnley and they wont beat the far left.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:26 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 am

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... ty/603259/
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIAWQdz5ds&t=22s
If I was Jewish I'd be a tadge concerned.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:15 pm

bobinho wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:27 am

And 'funded' by a Conservative central government. You forgot to mention that bit.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4241 times

Post by Greenmile » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:47 pm

Same reason the BNP won 10 years ago.
This user liked this post: littlemissclaret

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:18 pm

all those pre election social media posts with flat capped ex miners ranting about thatcher cut no ice anymore.
people are thick generally, and they are not interested enough in politics to bother about social injustice. They like Johnson enough to refer to him as Boris, that tells you a lot.
Add to that the small mindedness about brexit coupled to the ignorance of the subject, and there you have it.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:01 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:15 pm
And 'funded' by a Conservative central government. You forgot to mention that bit.
This hasn't just happened over the last few years dougcollins... this has been going on for decades and decades. Not just the Tories that have starved the north of funding thru austerity... the left have starved it by spunking it away in other ways, which in turn creates the need for austerity.

Vicious circle...

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:02 pm

Failure of the leadership to understand that voters can and do change there minds, many factors lead to this outcome, not just one and the weight percentage of each would change in large groups:

JC himself, then add the people around him that would have to be trusted with running the country.
Policies, not sure anyone believed the whole thing as it unfolded, many were good in the beginning, then continual overload leading to disbelief in any of it.
Brexit stance, what happens when you sit on a fence long enough, your crotch gets sore and both sides get fed up
BJ personality versus JC, people generally like positive people as there leader, just a fact of life
Had life really been much better under Labour the times they had been there, had being in the EU really helped places like Burnley, part of the Brexit debate
HOC deliberately blocking many things that people had voted for in the Referendum, seen as ensuring the 2016 vote didn't happen
J Cooper not voting with what the constituents had voted for, seen as towing party line and knowing better than those who put her there.
Many other minor influences, all which add up to the tipping point

Now you have the failures going to investigate a monumental failure, even a blind man on a galloping horse knows how that works out, definitely not our fault, our policies were sound, just need a fresh face to front the whole scheme we're selling. Let's blame the press to start with, ensure there is deniable plausibility, am sure most will fall for it and we can plan for 4 years, they'll all have forgotten by then, we will get our red wall back by then.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:47 pm
Same reason the BNP won 10 years ago.
Yep, racism.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:16 pm

The irony of this election is that Labour could have come close to winning it if they had chosen different policies, which suggests an intellectual gap as much as anything else. How many of Labour's policies were beneficial to Burnley people? Nationalising energy is an example of something that doesn't directly benefit. Net zero climate targets - ditto. Scrapping private schools - ditto. Limit pension age - no guarantee people want to stop working. Minimum wage - Tories doing it too.

An example of a dramatic policy they could have chosen - Universal Basic Income (paying everyone in the country about £6,000 per year. whether they are homeless or a billionaire), funded by extra taxation including VAT from the spending of the money by people in the high street.

UBI was mentioned at the Labour conference and McDonnell praised the idea, but it never went forward. The main arguments against it are whether it will lead to inflation and whether it will put people off working. The former is debunked by quantitative easing not leading to inflation (whereas UBI is about recirculating existing money not printing new money so it should be less inflationary). The latter is debunked by experiments around the world which suggest it doesn't decrease employment. UBI is currently being proposed in the US by democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang (similar thinkers to Corbyn like Bernie Sanders, who is more likely than Yang to win, disagree with it so the US is going to have the same problem as here, people not thinking outside the box enough). Yang argues, and I agree, that UBI is necessary now to combat western poverty caused by automation and globalisation, the primary issue in towns like Burnley).

I would suggest something like UBI would go down a storm in Burnley, and people spending that money would help reinvigorate the town's economy. A clever Labour could have gone for a soft Brexit, and proclaimed UBI as a "Brexit dividend" (not because Brexit makes us richer, but due to UBI not being easy or affordable in the EU as we would have to pay it to all migrants regardless of how much work they do, a perverse incentive). Even with the current leader, UBI instead of about 20 wacky funding proposals could have been enough to win a town like Burnley.

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:20 pm

I see the usual clique is out together hunting and supporting each other in the pack, any excuse but there own failure, you'd be great candidates for JC and team to interview regarding this total failure, you'd give him the ammunition he would want to blindly go where many before him have gone. Racism, is this a new low for your little group, quite unbelievable if I had not spent several years of reading the same drivel from you lot, and at the end of it all you still don't get what happened.
This user liked this post: jrtod61

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:22 pm

Oh, an aside, the Universal Basic Income idea I have just mentioned above to reinvigorate Burnley may seem like a hard left idea, but it was also suggested earlier this year as a way to tackle automation unemployment by...........

.........Boris's chief guru Dominic Cummings (using the phrase negative income tax rates which means the same thing).
This user liked this post: KateR

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:27 pm

Towneley pitch and putt and tennis and bowls gone to pot.

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:08 pm

The Labour Party has embraced what the Democrats in the US have been pushing ever since 2008: a huge, previously-unthinkable lurch to the left and then demonising anyone who disagrees as racist, stupid, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, etc.

I will never understand why they think this will work - human nature is to push back against anyone who treats you this way - which is why you've seen significant electoral upsets over the past 5 years. Voters now believe that the left does not advocate for them and that they are completely detached from reality.

I think most people are in the middle politically, but the left has gone to such extremes, the voters consider the Tories a far more palatable option. They might not agree with everything the Tories stand for, but there are more parts of the platform which speak to them than Labour's, nor do they treat them like evil idiots.

As much as people claim "Johnson is a racist" (laughable) or that "Johnson is a clown" (a lot more accurate), he is still less extreme than Corbyn and the utter bilge that was the Labour Party manifesto. So as much as the ultra-left claims the Tories are racist, etc., most people thought the Labour Party were WORSE.

Until Labour realizes quite how far down the socialist rabbit hole they've gone, electoral results such as these will be the norm. It wasn't just Brexit, it wasn't just Corbyn, it wasn't just the manifesto, it was EVERYTHING they did.

A former Labour voter.
These 4 users liked this post: Fenwick Uwe Noble bobinho Colburn_Claret

Dixie Normous
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Dixie Normous » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:50 pm

The Labour Party come from trade unions built in the coal mines and steel and cotton mills . The jobs are long gone and with them the working class solidarity . Scotland voted labour out in 2016 seeing that the current crop did not represent them anymore . Similar is happening in England . The old ties have snapped . The media is very biased and they know the average person only listens to the news for a few seconds hence the slogans on repeat which they know is only way to get a message through. Labour will continue to die slowly . Limit to another election defeat singing the same songs sadly. A new part is needed and remembering Blair’s saying that promises and words mean nothing unless you have power . So a new party that knows that bullshit baffles brains . Lie and confuse . It’s easy .
Promise to stop or lower immigration for a start . That gets the votes . You will never have to stick to the promise. Bread and circuses .

fanzone
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:14 pm

Go down stoneyholme and see what labour has done for Burnley. Not a racist comment but the road safety down there along with places of worship is mesmeric.

Dixie Normous

Post by Dixie Normous » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:19 pm

I used to go down stoneyholme as a lad . Never got away without a scrap . Mind you we never had many visitors to whittlefield. We ere poor as feck, in rags, hungry . And the local councillor was a Tory ! I think she bought the vote with pies in dickie pinks

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:28 pm

Dixie Normous

Post by Dixie Normous » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:36 pm

I’ll never vote Tory . The difference between Tory and non Tory votes was remarkable . Labour 11 million . Tories 13 million. It’s not a lot . The FPTP makes it look like a landslide but it wasn't. We’ve got this. Ten years of tories . Rebuild a centre left party and we’ll be back. Born red and die red

yTib
Been Liked: 704 times
Has Liked: 657 times

Post by yTib » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:37 pm

this is your leader.

it makes idiots of us all.