What is wrong?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: What is wrong?

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:51 pm

Safron wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:49 pm
Bfs wouldn't touch us with a bargepole,best man for us would of been Pearson , but that boat has sailed
As bad as it is at the minute im not sure potting dyche and his 70k a week and replacing with pearson.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:57 pm

Right_winger wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:26 pm
What’s wrong is that we have a 1 dimensional manager who’s trick has been sussed out.

Poor/non recruitment and lack of ability to change formations And/or starting line ups are coming home to roost.

This issue has been smouldering for a few seasons now.
Nail well and truly hit on its head.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5072 times
Has Liked: 6845 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:00 pm

Lack of investment in quality players, also the players must be sick and tired of the tactics it cannot be enjoyable and you perform better when your happy.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:03 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:35 pm
No one could get more out of this team than Dyche. The problem though is we have a poor team by PL standards-I see Watford have just scored as have Southampton. About 6 clubs at the bottom are in the ascendancy
The problem is we have a poor team that has been brought together by Dyche, and plan A is no longer working

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Re: How the Dyche Stole Christmas

Post by Targetman » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:05 pm

thelaughingclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:20 pm
In danger of getting like Arsenal under Wenger where you have a manager who isn’t good enough anymore and who isn’t doing anything but you keep him employed based on what he did for you years ago. We need a change somewhere and if the board aren’t going to allow Dyche to buy players and change the players then I don’t know what else there is. Something has to give surely.
And just what have Arsenal done since they got rid of Wenger? They certainly weren't challenging for the title in the latter stages of Wenger's reign but they were doing a hell of a lot better than they are now.

Be careful what you wish for!

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:06 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:22 pm
That's a bloody good question. He's having an awful season.
Now even CT is swearing on the messageboard - things must be REALLY bad :D

Even worse, for the first time in a long time, I am having to agree with him :D

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32393 times
Has Liked: 5272 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:09 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:06 pm
Now even CT is swearing on the messageboard - things must be REALLY bad :D

Even worse, for the first time in a long time, I am having to agree with him :D
I'm more than capable of swearing - it's the second suggestion that's concerning :D

To be honest, nothing much to smile about today. I thought that was a simply horrendous performance.
These 5 users liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse jojomk1 longsidepies simonclaret ClaretAL

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:13 pm

Probably plays an injured Barnes so he doesn't have to pick Vydra, why have Drinkwater on the bench when he obviously has no intention of playing him because he certainly would have been a better option in midfield than our two and unless Vydra was injured then he at least would give us an alternative to having battering rams up front.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:18 pm

Paying for not paying for decent players
Our midfield is woeful. Corks legs appear to have gone and Westwood cant pass - certainly not forward
But we didn't compete today from the off and that is perplexing. Only Taylor and McNeil provided anything much going forward. JBG was an improvement.

We are in real trouble now and need outside investment. Sean Dyche has already told us not to expect much in this transfer window.

burnley007
Been Liked: 640 times
Has Liked: 670 times

Post by burnley007 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:21 pm

This window looks desperate.
We need new blood. ASAP

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by Whitgord » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:23 pm

I am absolutely amazed that Drinkwater didn’t come on today. Westwood and Cork were useless. Why have Drinkwater on the bench? Must have something to do with a prior agreement with Chelsea about squad appearances or the like. Really utterly baffling.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:27 pm

There's clearly a few things wrong, but most of all there's a problem at the top of the team. 2019 was a successful year for the Barnes/Wood axis but there have been increasing signs for a few weeks that their effectiveness was waning, partly because teams have got wise to the approach and partly because they both appear to be managing injuries. But the last four teams to come to Burnley have neutralised them either by playing 3 at the back (Villa and Newcastle) or a back four with one right in front (United and Palace). The basic principle is that if you deny those two space down the sides or the ability to isolate the centre backs 1v1, and therefore deny them space to operate in, then they can be farly easily be rendered ineffective. And because in a rigid 4-4-2 our entire attacking platform is predicated on the effectiveness of those two, as a result at a stroke you render Burnley ineffective.

The difference when Rodriguez came on was stark and immediately we looked to play a bit more football, because Wood was charged with occupying the centre backs whilst Rodriguez operated somewhere closer to the midfield than right up top. As a result we got more of the ball, could work space a bit easier and get McNeill and JBG the ball in dangerous areas. Unfortunately, as time wore on we got a bit desperate, and also fatigued, but that 25 minute spell both underlined the problem, and pointed to the solution. Whether its using Rodriguez more and playing to his strengths (in recent games we've sought to use him as a proxy for Barnes, and he can't do it), or playing one up top and moving McNeil into a central role, you can't expect a rigid 4-4-2 and bish-bash-bosh to work indefinitely. Its too rudimentary.
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies Vintage Claret summitclaret

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:09 pm
I'm more than capable of swearing - it's the second suggestion that's concerning :D

To be honest, nothing much to smile about today. I thought that was a simply horrendous performance.
That's what's wrong & right about being a lifelong supporter of a football team.
When it's bad it's bad and you can't just go away and support some other team.
You have to dwell on it and suffer.
People suffer in different ways.

One way or another, sooner or later it will get better. It always does.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32393 times
Has Liked: 5272 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:41 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:37 pm
That's what's wrong & right about being a lifelong supporter of a football team.
When it's bad it's bad and you can't just go away and support some other team.
You have to dwell on it and suffer.
People suffer in different ways.

One way or another, sooner or later it will get better. It always does.
That's absolutely spot on. I hate home defeats more than those away too. If we lose away then we get it out of the system in the first part of the journey home. If we lose at home, I'm back home sulking in no time and then to add to that have to put up with the histrionics on this board.
This user liked this post: Nonayforever

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Watford will soon be looking down on us, 2-1 against Wolves.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:44 pm

I’m no coach but what’s with the tactic of big man flicking it on for big man? Is that a thing?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:46 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:44 pm
I’m no coach but what’s with the tactic of big man flicking it on for big man? Is that a thing?
At least in your coaching hey day you had big man little man up top!

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:50 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:46 pm
At least in your coaching hey day you had big man little man up top!
Visionary

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1522 times

Post by chekhov » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:52 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:44 pm
It isn’t a thing. What you imply is right!

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:36 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:07 pm
Yes, you being an utter bore.
Not nearly as boring as watching Dyche’s Burnley Team. More and more of us are getting turned off by the lack of entertainment.
This user liked this post: Dannyh1882

Claretitus
Been Liked: 330 times
Has Liked: 207 times

Post by Claretitus » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:07 am

rufus lumley wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:29 pm
Happy clapper here everything will be fine the worst that can happen we get relegated then with the championship again.
You're having yourself on!! This lot, minus McNeill, would struggle to finish top half in the Championship. :oops: :oops:

ClaretRock
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by ClaretRock » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:04 am

We carry on playing like we did in the first half we are in trouble. If we play like the second half we should be ok but it won't be pretty. Not happy with our style of play and our inability to string passes together whilst going forward. The team looks out of ideas and this is something only the coaching staff can break. Tough run of games coming up fingers crossed we can at least get a few shots on target ey...

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:23 am

Talking of coaching staff I often see Dyche, when things are not going to plan, go to Woan and the other assistant coach for a chat. But all I see, from their body language that whatever SD says they are agreeing with him.Recently its been looking like a three way good old moan. If that trio had anything about them yesterday they would have made changes around the 35 minute mark. I posted at half time to hook off Brady and Barnes-as their coaches they should have seen this being required before the fans. You will often see Woan go into a long ramble as if he is talking to himself. Do we know if these two have a mind of their own or just YES men

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:27 am

I thought we were evolving,or that’s what Dyche tells us nearly every week

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:31 am

Start with the negative side Bournemouth H 22nd Feb, Watford H 21st March, Sheff Utd H 11th April and BHA H 17th May 4 wins that takes us to 36 points after 4 cup finals we win on't Turf. Add two freak wins and a draw 43 points and this awful football has given us another year in the PL.

Our two centre mids are getting older and more leggy for this division and as such neither are Captains on the field, we lose the middle of the park to so many teams now it leaves us with only one option to get the ball forward. Cork and Westwood are getting 6 out of 10 at best, our best centre mid yesterday was JayRod who hunted for the ball and that says something as he wasn't playing centre mid! Drinkwater must not have said to Dyche that he is really happy and wants to stay so he is just an emergency sub for show but not to play.

So I question the Director chap for recruitment, hell fire I could have got 3 overseas midfielders to Gawthorpe, who maybe would prove to be not good enough but their desire would have been on a par with Grezza and Joey Barton and we would have tried. We tried Dwight for goodness sake and that worked.

Yesterday was truly uninspiring and on the 2 and a half hour journey home I said "season ticket sales next year will be down 1500" I hope that chap around us doesn't renew, we will renew but many will not and they will pick their games to go on. UTC and Happy New Year...nurse my tablets please.....

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1641 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:37 am

To give Dyche some credit yesterday was the first bad home performance when we haven’t won when we would expect to. Palace was the only blip and we played OK but missed chances. OK, we had 21 shots yesterday and only 1 on target but most came in the first 30 minutes of the second half - not a single shot after the goal with 15 more minutes played, so there was 60 minutes of insipid play.

Dyche is getting to the point though (like the similar time last season) when he needs the mother of all bollockings from the board. At times he talks like he is on easy street, a comfortable job with no pressure from above, the only objective to finish 17th or higher. We have to do better than that.

For a start the guy has only spent a net £20m in the last two seasons and all on players who haven’t become regular starters. That is pathetic in more ways than one. As a minimum he should have been able to identify a loan capable of starting.

So, what is wrong? Staleness and predictability. Teams have worked out how to play us, even McNeil who has no goals or assists in 9 games. Good managers freshen the team and make the opposition think. Dyche brings in players from the bench who do well and still get left out (recently Jay and JBG).

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by KlyBfc » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:40 am

Team looked tired today. Lack of rotation in key midfield area cost us.
Also 4-4-2 needs to be binned. Barnes is so far off it he’s a lg1 player at best at minute. If he doesn’t offer hard work and aggression he doesn’t offer anything and that for me completely rules out the 4-4-2. It also probably needs Jeff (against the thoughts of others) to come narrow and make that 3rd centre mid at tones for it to be successful.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:42 am

They probably hit lucky yesterday and it's our team selection rather than their excellence that won the points.

Players back on their heels and not reading the game, moving for the ball or offering competition for it is a problem. The opposition winning second ball consistently isn't a fluke, it's because they want it and move around for it.

We are stagnating at a time others are improving and a position lower down the table awaits if it isn't addressed.

There are no poor teams in this league, only one's with less desire to survive.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:03 am

I think the players are just worn out and maybe one or two are carrying injuries. They have to work their socks off in this division to achieve anything. There are not really any options from the reserves, and if the defenceis not on song we are sunk. Yesterday the defence wasnt at its best but the midfielers making crucial mistakes led to their goals and the one they had ridiculously disallowed. As I have said on another thread we also need a stronger captain.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:10 am

We do no research on opponents and adapt accordingly. We knew Grealish was their star player-the BT Sport preview of the game spent half of it showing what a great all round player he had become. Dean Smith and John Terry will have sat down with Heaton to see where the danger would come from Burnley

Yes as mentioned above its EASY STREET for SD and the coaches.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:16 am

Somethings missing. I’m not sure what though. 2/3 years ago we looked like a solid unit, not only football wise but as a club. I got the impression the players would do anything for Dyche. Look at Liverpool and Klopp. Those players would die for him. They believe in each other and trust each other. We used to be like that. Ever since the Europa exit we look like a club lost.

Football wise we were at our best with Vokes and Ings up top imho. Why we haven’t tried Vydra in a similar role to Ings is beyond me.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:27 am

I think we've worked our workhorses too hard for two or three seasons.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:41 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:50 pm
Still not fully recovered from playing in Europe last season
Nice one Devil. :lol: :lol:

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:09 am

Nothing is really wrong apart from us being Burnley. Clubs like us never stay in the Premier League so for every season we are in the Premier League relegation would have to be expected. If we don't get relegated it's a splendid achievement, if we do it's just what is expected.

There will certainly be one season when we don't over-perform and when that happens we will be relegated. Perhaps it will be this season, but if so that's just the way things are, the way things have been set up for the benefit of the multinational businesses that run football. We've had a wonderful run in the Premier League but it has to come to an end some time so let's not get too angry, critical or downcast. There's still lots of fun to be had whatever division we find ourselves in.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:19 am

Okay guys, I think it might just be time to start worrying. I've said all along we will be okay and that we might not break any pots but relegation is not even an issue. I think I might have been wrong. We are, at the moment, officially sh!te. The current form table now puts us on par with Villa and only marginally ahead of Norwich. So many on here have put in their ideas as to what might be wrong so here's mine...I haven't a bloody clue. It's not desperately down to players as such, it can't be because these same players have seen us through thick and thin, they have pulled off some good work even this season, so it must be down to tactics and motivation, it can't really be anything else. And that lies squarely at the door of Mr Dyche. He seems to have taken what I have called 'fear football' and taken it to a new level. We used to be defensive but live with the idea that we could always nick a goal but now we just don't have any creativity whatsoever, not a spark. We must have the worst midfield in the PL. They do little to take the pressure off what is actually a pretty damn good defensive unit and don't seem to have any idea of how to start an attack but is that entirely down to them? They do seem, as has been suggested on here, to be scared of passing the ball forwards, why is that? And why, with the way Barnes is playing just now, is Vydra not getting a game? I'm not totally convinced Jay is the answer either.
I hate to be critical of Dyche and I certainly wouldn't call for his head but he does seem boringly predictable with just about everything he is currently doing. I'd like to think he will get us out of this mess before it becomes a seriously bad situation but someone needs to have a word in his shell-like and have the courage to tell him he needs to change the way he is doing things. And maybe only the board can do that. The one good thing though at the moment for Dyche fans (which I think is most of us) is that with current form no club in the top two divisions will entertain him if they have a vacancy, and certainly no PL club. When the Everton and West Ham jobs came up recently he wasn't even mentioned as a candidate but 12 months ago his name would have been all over the place. How things can change eh?
Last edited by houseboy on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:19 am

Probably suffering now from a set of Owners who would ideally like to sell and a manager who would ideally like to move on. Club is at a turning point and the party might be over.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:27 am

Papabendi wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:19 am
Probably suffering now from a set of Owners who would ideally like to sell and a manager who would ideally like to move on. Club is at a turning point and the party might be over.
Not sure about this. The board do seem to have the club at heart despite seriously under-investing on the playing side. The problem is going into the transfer window in the current predicament we may see no incomings because they will be afraid of having a Championship income next season.

As for Dyche wanting a change he isn't doing himself any favours at all if that is the case. The way we are currently playing can you really see a bigger more ambitious club giving him a chance?

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:28 am

Papabendi wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:19 am
What you basing those two things on?

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3078 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:36 am

There are so many poor teams in this league, that rely on an individual to carry them.
Palace without Zaha are crap
Villa without Grealish are Crap
Norwich without Pukki are crap
Southampton without Ings are crap
Watford without Deeney are crap.
Our only game changer is Dwight, and he is too young, and underdeveloped to carry us on his own. By the time he is at that level he will more likely be plying his trade elsewhere. We need leaders, and we dont have anyone willing to take on the responsibility, we are back to rabbits in headlights when it comes to going forward, they'd all rather someone else took it on. Until that changes we are fooked.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:38 am

No central midfield for me. Cork hasn't had a good game for 2 and a half years but no one to replace him.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:54 am

All this talk about Dyche being poach by a bigger club is nonsense. No other Premier league club would want him and their fans certainly wouldn't.

The type of football Dyche serves up week in, week out would be better suited at Valley Parade than a premier league stadium.

So frustrating that we have a proven Premier league midfielder sat on the bench for the last month who never gets a kick, when we have Westwood and Cork who are clearly out of form playing 90 minutes.

The same applies to Barnes who hasn't scored in months, his only contribution is sticking his arse up in the air to con a free kick.

We have been lightweight in the middle and at right back for 2 seasons now and have done nothing to address the problem bar the Drinkwater fiasco.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:56 am

I dont get to watch the U23 as much as i would like, but are we absolutely sure we dont have the quality in them that are due to step up? Dwight was only found by chance, due to injuries and was on his way to lower leagues, but has become a sensation, so it concerns me that whoever is making the decisions on when the young guns are ready or not, may not be the best informed? I have seen Benson play and looked very neat and strong, and there does seem to be other in that group making the headlines too.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:08 am

Erasmus wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:09 am
Nothing is really wrong apart from us being Burnley. Clubs like us never stay in the Premier League so for every season we are in the Premier League relegation would have to be expected. If we don't get relegated it's a splendid achievement, if we do it's just what is expected.

There will certainly be one season when we don't over-perform and when that happens we will be relegated. Perhaps it will be this season, but if so that's just the way things are, the way things have been set up for the benefit of the multinational businesses that run football. We've had a wonderful run in the Premier League but it has to come to an end some time so let's not get too angry, critical or downcast. There's still lots of fun to be had whatever division we find ourselves in.
Defeatist nonsense imo. We’ve had a good run let’s be thankful ... we are only Burnley we don’t deserve to be here ...we could get relegated never mind ....

We are here so let’s do something positive about the situation. There will always be followers with the above attitude and each to their own. Once fans get out of the habit of going on they soon stop going. It might not matter with the PL money but if we are relegated we might want them back in the future and they are much harder to get back.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:23 pm

Erasmus wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:09 am

Whilst ultimately there's a lot of truth in this, I don't accept that this is fundamentally true of our current situation. At some point we will get relegated, that is true, because every season it is a risk for us. But after being in this division for four years, and in a year where we've not had too many major problems with injury, it is not the pre-season expectation for us any more. It wasn't after we'd survived one season.

Apart from anything else, I don't believe this squad is in the 3 weakest in the league. It's noticeably better than that, for me. What has definitely happened though is that we've got a bit predictable and teams have begun to get to grips with the super-direct approach that hauled us to safety last season, which was based around Barnes/Wood. As I outlined earlier in the thread teams are now setting up with half an eye on directly block that approach, so the onus has been on us to adapt our approach to play round that block.

I believe that we have the players to help us do that - by deploying Rodriguez (a natural second striker more in the Sheringham mould than Barnes' physical style) off Wood, or by giving McNeil a freer role behind Wood (with licence to do for us what Grealish was doing for Villa yesterday), I think we'd add altogether more craft to our attacking play. As a result, I think Dyche's loyalty to those who have earned it (like Barnes) has - as with Michael Duff a few years ago - resulted in us waiting longer than we ought before making changes, and being less effective than we're capable of as a result.

But there's no question that the squad has gone a bit stale and so within the limits of our budgets, the squad also needs tweaking. Dyche has talked about the need to constantly add more angles to our attacking play, but we've struggled to renew the squad for at least 18 months now. It isn't good enough this Janaury to simply say, "oh well, we can't recruit". if we can't recruit the sorts of safe bets that Dyche prefers, then we'll have to gamble a bit more - because if we don't gamble, it feels as though this decline ends in the club being relegated before strictly we should be, so there's really nothing to lose.

Mala591
Been Liked: 684 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:54 pm

Ageing squad, Westwood and Cork looking exhausted, not enough 'good football brains' (Barton, Defour etc) in the team, players have lost confidence, lack of composure around opposition box, can't play effective one-two basic football move, can't shoot from outside the box, have forgotten how to slide tackle, can't pull ball back from by-line to the penalty spot area, far too many players just don't have basic dribbling skills, free kicks and corners are totally predictable, poor movement off the ball, players can run fast but don't seem to be able to sprint, we seem to have lost the 'joy' of playing football...

All these things and more can be improved upon by better recruitment and improved training methods. Whether SD and Mr Woan can turn things around remains to be seen but I sincerely hope they can.

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:05 pm

Dyche - To stubborn
Garlick - To Tight

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:17 pm

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:05 pm
Dyche - To stubborn
Garlick - To Tight
= Curtains!

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:21 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:56 am
I dont get to watch the U23 as much as i would like, but are we absolutely sure we dont have the quality in them that are due to step up? Dwight was only found by chance, due to injuries and was on his way to lower leagues, but has become a sensation, so it concerns me that whoever is making the decisions on when the young guns are ready or not, may not be the best informed? I have seen Benson play and looked very neat and strong, and there does seem to be other in that group making the headlines too.
True , but we just don’t have the money to compete to be bringing in athletic young Africans, talented teenage Spaniards and the like

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by expoultryboy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:33 pm

Not a big fan of pieters but , why don't we play both him and Charlie on the left ? Charlie put some decent crosses in on nyd plus he'd help out at the back . Dyche won't drop Westwood or cork and the two lumps up front aren't doing much , so why not go 4-2-3-1 :
Bards - mee - tarks- pieters
Westwood - cork
JBG - mcneil - taylor
Jay
With 2 holding midfielders this hopefully would make us tighter at the back and we'd have a bit more flair upfront .

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:22 pm

expoultryboy wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:33 pm
Not a big fan of pieters but , why don't we play both him and Charlie on the left ? Charlie put some decent crosses in on nyd plus he'd help out at the back . Dyche won't drop Westwood or cork and the two lumps up front aren't doing much , so why not go 4-2-3-1 :
Bards - mee - tarks- pieters
Westwood - cork
JBG - mcneil - taylor
Jay
With 2 holding midfielders this hopefully would make us tighter at the back and we'd have a bit more flair upfront .
Could do this but go :

Bards mee tarks Taylor
Westwood Cork
JBG Jay rod McNeil
Wood