VA Farce!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Re: VA Farce!

Post by Claretforever » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:06 pm

Give Managers 3x calls per game. If they’re correct they get to keep them. If they’re wrong they lose them.

Either that or do away with the lines and give the VAR team one replay to see if there is daylight between the defender and attacker. If there is then it could be argued there is a clear and obvious error. If not then refer back to the on field call.

Or a final option is to only have VAR for penalties and red cards.

All 3 of those are better than what we have right now in my opinion.

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:49 pm

It took 5 mins from the ball hitting the net until kick off because of VAR. Added time at the end of the half was 2 minutes and there were a couple of other stoppages. What the **** is that all about? Mind you I'd had enough by then so was quite happy to hear the half time whistle at the time.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:36 pm

Roosterbooster wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:38 pm
According to IFAB it does, and the PL have got it wrong https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/50944416
He has just said this in the last few days because the controversy about offside has been prevalent in quite a number of countries, not just the PL.
He is trying to get out of a hole because IFAB were originally of the opinion that clear and obvious would not apply to offside and this has always been what the officials have thought too.

IFAB should have clarified a lot of things when they went down the VAR path, however, they didn't and we have been left with the current situation.

I see that, in spite of the Carabao Cup not using VAR if a tie was played at a PL ground, the FA have ruled that VAR will be used in the FA Cup at PL grounds, hence it will be in operation at the Turf on Saturday -----remember the Barnsley game last season with the offside decision when VAR intervened ---I am still trying to work that one out! Once again we had a very long delay waiting for a decision, however, had the game been played at Oakwell, we would have taken the penalty and the game continued without delay.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:49 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:36 pm

I see that, in spite of the Carabao Cup not using VAR if a tie was played at a PL ground, the FA have ruled that VAR will be used in the FA Cup at PL grounds, hence it will be in operation at the Turf on Saturday -----remember the Barnsley game last season with the offside decision when VAR intervened ---I am still trying to work that one out! Once again we had a very long delay waiting for a decision, however, had the game been played at Oakwell, we would have taken the penalty and the game continued without delay.
In other words, different rules for different teams in the same competition!

Something else that makes it even more of a farce.

:(
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 tiger76

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:19 pm

One thing that needs to be remembered is that VAR only applies to about ten games a week in England but the Laws of the Game apply to all football matches, including Park games - thousands.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:30 pm

Claretforever wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:06 pm
Give Managers 3x calls per game. If they’re correct they get to keep them. If they’re wrong they lose them.
Not sure how that would help. Every key incident would be reviewed in the same way that it is now. You would almost guarantee a minimum of 6 VAR reviews per game which is more than I’ve seen in any game this season. Managers would also abuse the reviews to kill time and prevent the other team from building momentum. Terrible idea, in my opinion.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:03 pm

Or just make it for clear and obvious errors and give the ref the final say

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:09 pm

Or scrap it. It’s a bad idea.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:08 pm

Claret wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:09 pm
Or scrap it. It’s a bad idea.
Simple and yet perfect.

I don't understand how the fans who are backing it have fallen so far down the wormhole of money, hype, accountancy and general BS the game consists of now. If VAR is part of the solution, the game's dead anyway.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:02 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:08 pm
Simple and yet perfect.

I don't understand how the fans who are backing it have fallen so far down the wormhole of money, hype, accountancy and general BS the game consists of now. If VAR is part of the solution, the game's dead anyway.
Agreed. I actually think some fans don't want to admit they were wrong in thinking that VAR was going to be the best thing since sliced bread, and that clubs like us would finally benefit from decisions that always went the way of the big teams! :oops:

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:09 pm

VAR is too forensic.

dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:21 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:49 pm
In other words, different rules for different teams in the same competition!

Something else that makes it even more of a farce.

:(
Unless you're going to say that there will be no VAR in the FA Cup until all 700+ teams entering have it - and that will be never - then we will just have to come to terms with the fact that some games have different refereeing standards than others. In a cup tie, the essential is that it's the same for both sides.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:28 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:21 am
Unless you're going to say that there will be no VAR in the FA Cup until all 700+ teams entering have it - and that will be never - then we will just have to come to terms with the fact that some games have different refereeing standards than others. In a cup tie, the essential is that it's the same for both sides.
I know that, but from the third round, where all the top clubs enter and cameras are at all the matches being played, it makes a mockery of the whole competition that some teams will have the VAR system in use at their game and others won't.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by Claretforever » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:23 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:30 pm
Not sure how that would help. Every key incident would be reviewed in the same way that it is now. You would almost guarantee a minimum of 6 VAR reviews per game which is more than I’ve seen in any game this season. Managers would also abuse the reviews to kill time and prevent the other team from building momentum. Terrible idea, in my opinion.
Just one option, Riley. Maybe limit it to one? It was the lesser preferred of my options I think.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:49 am

The focus of VAR is all wrong. At the moment it's the officials under scrutiny, i.e. have they got the offside right? have they missed an obvious foul in the build up to a goal? have they missed any infringement that leads to a goal? etc VAR really should be used in football but only when it questions the validity of the players not the officials, i.e. players diving to win a penalty; deliberate handball (subjective I know); keepers moving off the line on a penalty; infringement at a penalty etc.

In terms of offside - it should be scrapped in its current format - or changed to be acceptable. For the Villa first goal, had the lines been the equivalent of 25cm in width (not arbitrary, calculated from the frame rate of 50 fps and the maximum speed of a human 44kmh [albeit Usain Bolt]) if there is any interference between the lines (ie. the lines overlap at all) then the offside is ambiguous and the ref should actually view the footage and make a judgement call. If there is no interference at all then it is clearly offside. I agree that some would argue that when it is close to having interference then the same argument would apply as it is now, but reality would say that a human should be able to see from the footage within a few seconds whether the player is actually offside. The problem with the current system is that the narrow lines are not able to incorporate the level of errors dictated by the frame rate - i.e. the most accurate it can be is 25cm (per person!) so it is possible to have someone deemed offside when in fact they could really be onside by a margin of up to 50 cm! that's massive.
This user liked this post: dsr

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:11 am

Two points.

1. If a clear and obvious error cannot be established within say 30 or 60 seconds then there is no clear and obvious error and the referee's decision should stand. We could have a countdown clock on the big screen so that at least some people in the ground could see it

2. What industry would impose such a ground breaking change in its product without consulting its customers, in this case the fans. If things remain the same there will be no fans. We pay £30 or more to watch a game that is actually being played in a private room a hundred plus miles away. We are not getting what we pay for

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:49 pm

The farce continued today by being used in a game that if it was the other way around and played at Peterborough wouldn’t have been used.

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by Whitgord » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:55 pm

I like the idea of a time limit for VAR say 30 seconds. If no decision received by then, go with ref’s original decision. Something has to change because it is killing the goal celebrations and that is what should be the highlight of the supporter’s experience. I can understand that they might not change anything this season to maintain the fairness of the competition, but it MUST be improved next season.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2936 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:50 pm

What was the VAR checking for a possible red card incident today?

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 356 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:05 pm

It was for Brown after he was booked for a tackle
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:30 pm

Much as I was pleased to see the right verdict, the time taken was ridiculous, surely some computer geek can write a program that makes the decision in a gazilianth of a second?