Statement Even The Claret Tinted Can See Something Has To Change

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Statement Even The Claret Tinted Can See Something Has To Change

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:42 pm

We only have ourselves to blame and can't carry one this way.
The club was in such a good position if we squander this and do not recruit we are gone mark my words.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Re: Statement Even The Claret Tinted Can See Something Has To Change

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:45 pm

I disagree entirely that if we don’t recruit in January we are down. This side is perfectly capable of picking up the 4 wins that will invariably be required for us to stay in this division. Any January signing would be unlikely to feature heavily or make a significant contribution to the rest of the season.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:48 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:45 pm
I disagree entirely that if we don’t recruit in January we are down. This side is perfectly capable of picking up the 4 wins that will invariably be required for us to stay in this division. Any January signing would be unlikely to feature heavily or make a significant contribution to the rest of the season.
Ask yourself though why wouldnt they start? Any other club in the world signs players to play them. Not let them sit on their bums for half a season.
These 2 users liked this post: Blackrod DomBFC1882

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:48 pm

it will take more than 4 wins

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Also capable sadly of turning out performances like we've seen in the last week. No points is the reward for no ambition and more lack of ambition in the transfer window might just push us over the edge.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:54 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:48 pm
On todays performance it will take a bloody miracle.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:54 pm

Am I missing something here? How will recruiting someone help?

As far as I can see, any player we recruit will spend a month getting 'Dyche fit' (it really does exist) and then will have to wait for a player in their position to have 5 bad games in a row before they are given a chance. Then, they will be told they don't smile enough in training and that they don't fit the system. Finally, they will be left on the bench even when players in their position are injured/ out of form, and Kevin Long will be brought on ahead of them, even if the player recruited is not a centre half.
These 2 users liked this post: clarethomer k90bfc

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:58 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:54 pm

As far as I can see, any player we recruit will spend a month getting 'Dyche fit' (it really does exist) and then will have to wait for a player in their position to have 5 bad games in a row before they are given a chance. Then, they will be told they don't smile enough in training and that they don't fit the system. Finally, they will be left on the bench even when players in their position are injured/ out of form, and Kevin Long will be brought on ahead of them, even if the player recruited is not a centre half.
Just pulling you up on something here but who was Long brought on ahead of?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:00 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:58 pm
Drinkwater
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone k90bfc

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:02 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:58 pm
I'd have to check to be sure, but I'm sure we had Drinkwater on the bench at Everton, and Kevin Long replaced Jack Cork.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:04 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:02 pm
I'd have to check to be sure, but I'm sure we had Drinkwater on the bench at Everton, and Kevin Long replaced Jack Cork.
But Long was brought on to win aerial balls and offer an additional threat from set pieces. He wasn’t in direct competition with Drinkwater in this instance.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:06 pm

Where are our next points coming from Two home games Leicester Arsenal
Away Man U and Chelsea
That makes 8 home games after that with Tottenham to come and wolves cant see nothing from them
That leaves six
Away Liverpool. City. the game's closes in and i am not optimistic about Newcastle away, nor Norwich with no pressure on if they are already down last game of the season

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:12 pm

Everybody's getting brainwashed this Dyche fit and we will not play a new recruit hence the title
WE NEED TO CHANGE SOMETHING
throw them in change it buy right players to start not to mold in hope
Last edited by Longside4evr on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vintage Claret 1946
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Vintage Claret 1946 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:13 pm

Could not agree more that something has to change. I am not sure this can happen with Sean Dyche as manager. Sean has been a great manager for BFC but he appears to be to stubborn to change either the tactics, which appear to be our downfall as most of the premier league clubs have figured out how to combat them, or to use some of the players in the squad who may make a difference by playing a different style of football.

When people mention Dyche fit, I am begging to think Dyche fit translates to deskilling in order to run faster in order to help out our over worked defence because our midfield / strikers are unable to keep the ball for any length of time.

Unless Sean Dyche is prepared to change tactics or use players bought in a transfer window Then the purchase of any such player would be a waste of money.
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc Wo Didi

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:14 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:04 pm
But Long was brought on to win aerial balls and offer an additional threat from set pieces. He wasn’t in direct competition with Drinkwater in this instance.
Okay true, but a fourth choice centre half's ability to win aerial duels was deemed a better route back into the game than using the technical ability of a once PL winning midfielder. We already had Barnes and Wood on to win those balls. The centre half has been with us 10 years and the midfielder signed in the last window.

That doesn't show any sort of success for our recruitment over the last couple of years.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:17 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:04 pm
We know what why he was brought on but the original point that was made was that Long was brought on before new recruits that were on the bench.
You pulled up the poster and asked who - and the answer was Drinkwater.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:18 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:14 pm
Okay true, but a fourth choice centre half's ability to win aerial duels was deemed a better route back into the game than using the technical ability of a once PL winning midfielder. We already had Barnes and Wood on to win those balls. The centre half has been with us 10 years and the midfielder signed in the last window.

That doesn't show any sort of success for our recruitment over the last couple of years.
But Dyche, probably rightly based on the way that we tend to score goals, thought that the best chance of us scoring was from a set piece or cross. That’s not a sign that our recruitment has been successful but just an opinion that bringing Long on ahead of Drinkwater isn’t exactly worthy of criticism.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:21 pm

Looking at the rows of empty seats today. Maybe a lot of supporters don’t like what they have been seeing ? Any estimates of the actual attendance today ? Not including season ticket holders who stayed away

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:21 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:17 pm
We know what why he was brought on but the original point that was made was that Long was brought on before new recruits that were on the bench.
You pulled up the poster and asked who - and the answer was Drinkwater.
Not true. I didn’t respond to the OP but to ksr who said;

’ Finally, they will be left on the bench even when players in their position are injured/ out of form, and Kevin Long will be brought on ahead of them, even if the player recruited is not a centre half.’

Long doesn’t play in Drinkwater’s position so it is a moot point.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:23 pm

We need another Joey Barton
These 2 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret k90bfc

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:24 pm

Guess about 19000. Lot of empty seats in JM lower and a fair number in CFS.

texasbrit
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by texasbrit » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:25 pm

Dyche goes now and gives the new manager a fighting chance to change things,
Or we stay as we are and get relegated and Dyche goes, either way the post Dyche era is beckoning it has to happen sometime, hopefully it will whilst retaining PL status or we will be in the wilderness for a very long time.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:27 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:21 pm

’ Finally, they will be left on the bench even when players in their position are injured/ out of form, and Kevin Long will be brought on ahead of them, even if the player recruited is not a centre half.’

I don't think it is a moot point.

As I said, we already Barnes and Wood on who can win headers? Why do we need a fourth choice CB on too? Send one of the CBs on the pitch up.

It shows that our recruitment over the past couple of years has been so bloody poor, that our route back into the game was to send Kevin Long on up front. Total desperation

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:28 pm

The points in the bottom third are stacked in a different way. Other than Norwich, and maybe Bournemouth, all these clubs look capable of doubling their current points total. Watford could climb to mid table under Pearson, and WHU are leading 3-0 after 35 minutes. Can see someone with 40 points potentially going down this year

For me there are a lot of thinks wrong, and its easy to gloss this over with Dyche's record of two promotions and four years of PL survival. However you can only survive in this League through continuous improvement but we are sadly lacking in so many areas on the pitch and getting found out. We basically have an ageing first 11 thats been together for 2-4 years But I believe Garlick now needs to start asking a few questions such as

Why did both Barnes and Brady start ahead of Jay Rod and JBG today ?
Why has Danny not even come on as a sub when we have been vastly over-run in midfield for a number of games in December and today, and why only two starts in half a season?
Why are we making out Danny is potentially staying-if not fit why has he not had a run of games in the U-23 ?
Where is the analysis of the opposition with potential tweaks to line ups?
When was the last time we set up different to play against a team (it appears most teams set up differently when playing Burnley because of our style of play-but we never do the reverse)
Why has Wells gone on the cheap to QPR-this is the second season out on loan when we could have gained a fee
Why has Vydra not got more than about 30 minutes in half a season-the same for Gibson
Why don't we drop players not in form or not up to it
Why do we persist with just two lightweight midfielders who are being outmuscled every week
Why dont we play for 90 minutes rather than 45

I dont know if its because its a new year, but was looking forward to today playing a side where we had a chance of 3 points, to see them totally outplay and out tactic us, and in the back of my mind three impossible fixtures in January which is likely to result in 6 straight defeats

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:28 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
It will, 4 wins won't be enough especially with the bottom teams picking up, a combination of wins & draws are likely but we will need more than 12pts.

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:29 pm

. hates the term ‘Dyche fit’ - he wonders if it’s even a thing going off the fitness levels of McNeil and lately Barnes. He notes McNeil is spent most weeks after 70 minutes and Barnes is getting a game despite being injured.
This user liked this post: ksrclaret

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:31 pm

I'm one of the many that wants to see some bite, pace and quality in the middle but having said that there's no point if we continue with this hoofball.
This user liked this post: yosserhughes

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:33 pm

Rileybobs wrote:

I never said you responded to the OP. You responded to KS and I responded to your question by pointing out it was Drinkwater who was the new recruit being referred to.

Hardly a moot point given the position he was brought on to play.
Long was brought on ahead of a new recruit even thought the player recruited is not a centre half....not sure what there is to debate - it’s a factual statement.
Last edited by TVC15 on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:35 pm

For the 1st time since the relegation in Dyche’s1st premier league season I fear we are sliding towards relegation and signings need to be made quickly.Maybe we are at the point of spending £65m to safeguard £120m PL money

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:27 am

TVC15 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:33 pm
I never said you responded to the OP. You responded to KS and I responded to your question by pointing out it was Drinkwater who was the new recruit being referred to.

Hardly a moot point given the position he was brought on to play.
Long was brought on ahead of a new recruit even thought the player recruited is not a centre half....not sure what there is to debate - it’s a factual statement.
Yes but on that basis he was also brought on in front of Joe Hart. Drinkwater isn’t a striker so Long wasn’t brought on in Drinkwater’s place, that’s the point I’m making. He has entirely different attributes and was brought on to offer something that Drinkwater couldn’t.

Archer
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 146 times

Post by Archer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:33 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:18 pm
...but just an opinion that bringing Long on ahead of Drinkwater isn’t exactly worthy of criticism.
Seriously?! You want to win an internet point-scoring argument that badly that you’re going with this?

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:35 am

texasbrit wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:25 pm
Dyche goes now and gives the new manager a fighting chance to change things,
Or we stay as we are and get relegated and Dyche goes, either way the post Dyche era is beckoning it has to happen sometime, hopefully it will whilst retaining PL status or we will be in the wilderness for a very long time.
and the replacement works with what ? a miserly board, ageing players, not as if dyche hasn't asked for funding and been denied it .

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:45 am

Archer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:33 am
Seriously?! You want to win an internet point-scoring argument that badly that you’re going with this?
Not trying to win an internet argument, just making the point that Long was brought on to do a job that he’s more capable to do than Drinkwater, and Dyche thought that was the best chance of us scoring an equaliser. I have no problem with that, why should I?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:00 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:45 am
Not trying to win an internet argument, just making the point that Long was brought on to do a job that he’s more capable to do than Drinkwater, and Dyche thought that was the best chance of us scoring an equaliser. I have no problem with that, why should I?
Think the main gripe is in that particular game, wood should have been kept on & Barnes replaced with cork & not wood, when you are trying to score a equalising goal the general idea is to keep all forwards on the pitch, flipside when protecting a lead replace a striker with a defender, that's what most managers tend to do.

Archer
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 146 times

Post by Archer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:06 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:45 am
bringing Long on ahead of Drinkwater isn’t exactly worthy of criticism? At that point in the game? At that score?

Ok

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:51 am

Archer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:06 am
bringing Long on ahead of Drinkwater isn’t exactly worthy of criticism? At that point in the game? At that score?

Ok
Long was brought on to win headers in the box and hopefully get onto the end of a corner kick or other set piece. Drinkwater doesn’t offer that threat - so no, I don’t think the substitution is worthy of criticism despite it not reaping rewards.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:21 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:27 am
Yes but on that basis he was also brought on in front of Joe Hart. Drinkwater isn’t a striker so Long wasn’t brought on in Drinkwater’s place, that’s the point I’m making. He has entirely different attributes and was brought on to offer something that Drinkwater couldn’t.
1) Joe Hart wasn’t technically a new recruit was he ?
2) but if you want to be daft about it and count him as a new recruit then you were wrong on 2 counts as Long was brought on ahead of both Drinkwater and Hart.

The point you are making now is completely different as to why Long was brought on - and I’m not sure why you are even making this point as every burnley fan already knows he was brought on to try and win headers from lumping the ball up.
Go back and read what you originally said - you pulled up a poster by asking them which new recruit Long was brought on ahead of...clearly implying there was not one on the bench.

ceborame
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by ceborame » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:21 am

I think bringing on a centre half to play as a centre forward and in turn, deciding not to make a like for like change with somebody 'who should be' our best midfielder, is certainly worthy of discussion.

But I also think that Dyche at last, showed the willingness to change the system to try and win a match.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:43 am

To me one thing we do need is a vociferous strong on field capatain. I would buy one. Mee is not a captain Heaton was and last his return coincided with our run to safety.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:56 am

Stayingup wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:43 am
To me one thing we do need is a vociferous strong on field capatain. I would buy one. Mee is not a captain Heaton was and last his return coincided with our run to safety.
This.
being saying this all season...good teams often have more than one captain on the pitch. We don’t seem to have one this year.
Ben Mee can often lead by example I accept - but you need a leader who can help ensure that players don’t lose their concentration - like Tarks often does. Or like yesterday when 4 or 5 players start the game really badly.
The players must have seen yesterday that we were being completely overrun in midfield - you would have thought that with the experience we have on that pitch that between them they could have changed tactics and just sat on Grealish even if that meant sacrificing a player or two for half an hour until they got in at half time.
Look at the way Villa doubled up on McNeil and pretty much ignored Brady because they knew he could not hurt them.
Yes that might have been going against Dyche but at all levels of football the players are the ones who can impact what is happening on the pitch there and then more than anybody else.....and you need captains or leaders on the pitch to see this and be brave to do something about it.

And I know it’s a lot easier saying this from my vantage point in the stand - but we could all see what was happening and Villa were not a side with players like Grealish all over the pitch - there was one of him and he was running the game.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:10 am

TVC15 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:21 am
1) Joe Hart wasn’t technically a new recruit was he ?
2) but if you want to be daft about it and count him as a new recruit then you were wrong on 2 counts as Long was brought on ahead of both Drinkwater and Hart.

The point you are making now is completely different as to why Long was brought on - and I’m not sure why you are even making this point as every burnley fan already knows he was brought on to try and win headers from lumping the ball up.
Go back and read what you originally said - you pulled up a poster by asking them which new recruit Long was brought on ahead of...clearly implying there was not one on the bench.
I didn’t mention ‘new recruit’ in my original response to ksr. I asked who Long was brought on ahead of. By that I meant which player who offered Long’s attributes was left on the bench in place of Long. Had Dyche brought on Long in midfield in place of Drinkwater then I’d understand the argument, but he didn’t. He brought a player on in a position that Drinkwater doesn’t play to do a job that Drinkwater can’t do. So whilst that means he was technically brought on ‘ahead’ of Drinkwater that wasn’t how I intended the sentence to read.

Helmshore Claret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Helmshore Claret » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:12 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:51 am
Long was brought on to win headers in the box and hopefully get onto the end of a corner kick or other set piece. Drinkwater doesn’t offer that threat - so no, I don’t think the substitution is worthy of criticism despite it not reaping rewards.
If, many of us are going to be honest, it was a surprise when Long was brought on especially to be deployed in a forward role, however, when the sub board went up my thoughts were that Long was to be played at the back and the, more mobile Tarkowski up front. Look we have all seen that tactic work, I saw Waldron, at Forest,cause chaos and we got back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2, but all the 'behind the hand talking' to come up this,wow. There have been loads of times when I have wished that he would bring Long on, but only when we have been defending a narrow lead or hanging on for a draw and off hand, I can't remember, him having 3 centre halves on the pitch, apart from the 1-5 against Everton. I still like Dyche,but for him and his mate to come with that,on about 6 million a year between them!!!!

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:17 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
It'll take 5 (or the equivalent).

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:30 am

We now have some very tough fixtures. Not sure that a signing would make a difference, given the long integration process.

I think this is more about team harmony.
It looked to me that Tarkowski was very upset about something, in the first half. Perhaps we have told him he is going nowhere and he will miss a very lucrative deal. We know he can throw his toys out...when he wanted to join us.

Just thinking out loud...

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:54 am

I saw a thread on here recently predicting an 8th placed finish for the Clarets. I assume that was some sort of wind-up? We will be a lot closer to 18th than 8th that's for sure!
Every manager says the same thing about Burnley "We know the way that they play" suggesting that they are not expecting to be taken by surprise with a change in tactics or formation. The "surprise" element has long gone and teams set up differently against us to counter our style and limit our effectiveness.
A very tough few months lie ahead and, I fear, a few drubbings as well.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:55 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:10 am
I didn’t mention ‘new recruit’ in my original response to ksr. I asked who Long was brought on ahead of. By that I meant which player who offered Long’s attributes was left on the bench in place of Long. Had Dyche brought on Long in midfield in place of Drinkwater then I’d understand the argument, but he didn’t. He brought a player on in a position that Drinkwater doesn’t play to do a job that Drinkwater can’t do. So whilst that means he was technically brought on ‘ahead’ of Drinkwater that wasn’t how I intended the sentence to read.
No you didn’t mention it but KS did and you replied to it pulling him on it.
If you read what he was saying wrongly - that’s fine - just say that.
It’s pretty clear to me what he was saying - especially when he points out later that he thought Drinkwater was on the bench and was going to check.
As I have said a few times now why Dyche did it is not debatable - you don’t need to keep on explaining the fact that Drinkwater is not a 6 foot 2 centre forward.
Just for clarification KS was pointing out that Dyche has a tendency to leave new recruits on the bench and not use them - and Long being brought on ahead of Drinkwater in that game was another example (irrespective of the reasoning behind it)

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:25 am

FCBurnley wrote:
Looking at the rows of empty seats today. Maybe a lot of supporters don’t like what they have been seeing ? Any estimates of the actual attendance today ? Not including season ticket holders who stayed away
The official gate never tallys with the actual number of attendees. I don't know why they bother releasing any figures at all. Like you, I'd be more interested in the actual number of clicks through the gates.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:35 am

I do not see what the fuss is about. The board are taking us back where they belong.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:39 am

The problem is that when results are going our way, teams don't like to play us because whatever they try to do they cannot nullify our (one dimensional) approach, yet when results are against us we manage to nullify ourselves. This is for many reasons, but primarily from our confidence in our approach and style of play.

When we are confident, we close down quicker; win more second balls; break quicker; win more corners and free kicks in threatening areas - all of which increase our chances of scoring from our main (and some would say only) method of scoring - a set piece throwing the ball into the box and bullying the ball in the net. When it works, we keep doing it because it works.

When we are less confident, as we are now, we don't do all of the above and our chances diminish to what we are seeing it becomes a viscous circle of confidence - we cant score so we're less confident. This affects all teams but specifically us because we rely on confidence as a weapon.

In the past, like last season, it took a drastic change to reignite our impetus and create new confidence that our system works - that was Tom Heaton back in the nets; Dwight McNeil and Bardsley - this season it needs to be something else, but similar - new faces in the squad; or youngster from the U23 coming through; or change of captain (I agree that Ben Mee is a fantastic player and is always one of the first on the team sheet, but he ain't no leader - I wonder if Tarkowski would be a better option???).

Longer term, we need to address the issue of our style of play, we cant be so predictable - teams see how easily we're nullified and just learn from other teams on how they did it - compound that with our confidence and we're beat.

Thing is, if anyone can sort it out it is Sean Dyche and his team - but I think his formula requires tweaking and changing - as the league has changed and other teams have changed how they play us.
This user liked this post: SalisburyClaret

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:09 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:54 pm

If it exists what is 'Dyche fit' exactly? We've heard all about this mysterious thing but what exactly is it? If we bought Messi would he sit on the sidelines for a few weeks till Dyche thought he was 'up to speed'? Why do Burnley FC seem to be the only club in the world that buys a player to sit on his arse for at least a month before he even gets considered?
I think Dyche, by and large, is good for us but he does talk some b*ll*cks at times. Does he actually, I mean really, think there have been some encouraging signs of late? If so what is he seeing that we don't?