Statement Even The Claret Tinted Can See Something Has To Change

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Re: Statement Even The Claret Tinted Can See Something Has To Change

Post by SGr » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:20 pm

houseboy wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:09 pm
If it exists what is 'Dyche fit' exactly?
Another complete myth. The vast majority of other teams in this division have vastly better athletes than we do. Jack Cork vs any midfielder taller than 5’9” with any sort of intensity is absolutely painful to watch, for example. Barnes looks totally off the pace too.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:20 pm

houseboy wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:09 pm
If it exists what is 'Dyche fit' exactly? We've heard all about this mysterious thing but what exactly is it? If we bought Messi would he sit on the sidelines for a few weeks till Dyche thought he was 'up to speed'? Why do Burnley FC seem to be the only club in the world that buys a player to sit on his arse for at least a month before he even gets considered?
I think Dyche, by and large, is good for us but he does talk some b*ll*cks at times. Does he actually, I mean really, think there have been some encouraging signs of late? If so what is he seeing that we don't?
It was a strange move/experiment (whatever you could call it) loaning a player unfit in the first place with the idea of getting him fit to benefit the parent club, usually looking at other clubs recruiting loan players the whole idea is the players usually hit the ground running for maximum impact & after a few training sessions seamlessly slot in.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:35 pm

We have to remind ourselves that Westwood was allowed to leave a struggling Villa side and when we look back he wasn't a regular started when he arrived because he was actually midfield back up, particularly for Defour. As Defour's visits to the vets became increasingly common and he was sidelined almost permanently, Westwood became a first choice starter. He HAS put in some very good showings at times and I'm not knocking that, but along with Cork we must now have the slowest, least mobile, least creative midfield in Europe! We simply haven't moved on and it's going to cost us. About £125 million by my reckoning!!

boyyanno
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:55 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:51 am
Long was brought on to win headers in the box and hopefully get onto the end of a corner kick or other set piece. Drinkwater doesn’t offer that threat - so no, I don’t think the substitution is worthy of criticism despite it not reaping rewards.
We spent 90 minutes hoofing it and it didn't work. Here's a mad suggestion, instead of bringing on someone else to "win a header" why didn't we bring someone on who could create a better chance.

It was a poor decision and frankly I think you know it.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:25 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:55 pm
We spent 90 minutes hoofing it and it didn't work. Here's a mad suggestion, instead of bringing on someone else to "win a header" why didn't we bring someone on who could create a better chance.

It was a poor decision and frankly I think you know it.
Because maybe Dyche thinks that we didn’t have a player on the bench who could create a better chance. I’m not sure whether or not it was a poor decision because having seen very little of Drinkwater in a Burnley shirt I’d be guessing if I said he would have created more.

For the record I don’t think that bringing on Long was a great indictment of the strength of our squad, but I wouldn’t be overly critical of a decision that was basically a final throw of the dice. One of our biggest threats is our set piece deliveries and I don’t have a problem with Dyche bringing on an additional aerial threat in the hope of capitalising from one. Particularly as the alternative also isn’t an attacking player and clearly isn’t fancied by Dyche.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:31 pm

How can Kevin Long be the last roll of the dice up top when we have a 10-15mill pound striker not even making the bench and a player with a league title against his name not getting any game time! Give your head a wobble man!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:39 pm

Conroy92 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:31 pm
How can Kevin Long be the last roll of the dice up top when we have a 10-15mill pound striker not even making the bench and a player with a league title against his name not getting any game time! Give your head a wobble man!
Erm, exactly that. It was the last roll of the dice because as you pointed out our £10-15m striker wasn’t on the bench, which would have made him a little difficult to introduce.

True, Drinkwater won the premier league. So did Hart. This is the here and now, Dyche clearly doesn’t fancy Drinkwater and his well publicised exploits cast more doubt on Drinkwater’s attitude than Dyche’s judgement.
This user liked this post: Conroy92

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:42 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:25 pm
Because maybe Dyche thinks that we didn’t have a player on the bench who could create a better chance. I’m not sure whether or not it was a poor decision because having seen very little of Drinkwater in a Burnley shirt I’d be guessing if I said he would have created more.

For the record I don’t think that bringing on Long was a great indictment of the strength of our squad, but I wouldn’t be overly critical of a decision that was basically a final throw of the dice. One of our biggest threats is our set piece deliveries and I don’t have a problem with Dyche bringing on an additional aerial threat in the hope of capitalising from one. Particularly as the alternative also isn’t an attacking player and clearly isn’t fancied by Dyche.
But my whole point is if launching it long hasn't worked for 85 minutes then it's pretty much madness to think sticking a centre half up there and continuing to punt it will suddenly do the trick. When teams normally resort to this type of tactic they have tried every possible way to break the opponent down, putting that big man on is a bit of an alternative tactic for a lot of teams. My problem with the sub is that Dyche didn't do this, he said I'll stick another man in the box and let's continue to repeat what has already been unsuccessful in the previous 85 minutes.

In my opinion it was only the last roll of the dice because Dyche made it so.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:46 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:39 pm
Erm, exactly that. It was the last roll of the dice because as you pointed out our £10-15m striker wasn’t on the bench, which would have made him a little difficult to introduce.

True, Drinkwater won the premier league. So did Hart. This is the here and now, Dyche clearly doesn’t fancy Drinkwater and his well publicised exploits cast more doubt on Drinkwater’s attitude than Dyche’s judgement.
Unfortunately if Kevin Long is the last roll of the dice, it's the mans fault who didnt include Vydra in the squad! So either way, Dyche got it wrong!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:42 pm
But my whole point is if launching it long hasn't worked for 85 minutes then it's pretty much madness to think sticking a centre half up there and continuing to punt it will suddenly do the trick. When teams normally resort to this type of tactic they have tried every possible way to break the opponent down, putting that big man on is a bit of an alternative tactic for a lot of teams. My problem with the sub is that Dyche didn't do this, he said I'll stick another man in the box and let's continue to repeat what has already been unsuccessful in the previous 85 minutes.

In my opinion it was only the last roll of the dice because Dyche made it so.
I’m not exactly beaming that we brought Long on in our search for a goal. But what do you think that the alternative in Drinkwater would have offered? And what have you seen of him since he signed to back this up? Do you think we would have all of a sudden began to play like Man City? I think it’s more likely that a goal would have come from a set piece and an extra attacking threat from a set piece is what Long is.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm
I’m not exactly beaming that we brought Long on in our search for a goal. But what do you think that the alternative in Drinkwater would have offered? And what have you seen of him since he signed to back this up? Do you think we would have all of a sudden began to play like Man City? I think it’s more likely that a goal would have come from a set piece and an extra attacking threat from a set piece is what Long is.
Well bringing on Long forced us to play in one way, a continuation of what we had already done and failed at. The facts will also show it was the wrong decision, even if you believe it was the only one available.

For the record as I stated below I believe Long was only the last roll of the dice because Dyche made it so, I did not name Drinkwater specifically, I think he could have used his other subs earlier to also change the game.

I would have preferred Drinkwater to Long mainly because, as I have already said, we only tried to unlock their back four using one tactic and Drinkwater may have enabled us to play in a different way (formation or tactics). Iv'e seen very little of Drinkwater recently, as i'm sure you know, and I have not said anything about us playing like Man City: The later was added by you in an attempt at sarcasm I assume.

I'm happy to disagree but it seems like you are only disagreeing to defend the sub. You don't think he could have done things differently? Not even saying to anymore success but if the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result then adding a CB to the box and doing the same thing we did for the previous 85 minutes and expecting to nick a goal is pretty close IMO.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:45 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm
Well bringing on Long forced us to play in one way, a continuation of what we had already done and failed at. The facts will also show it was the wrong decision, even if you believe it was the only one available.

For the record as I stated below I believe Long was only the last roll of the dice because Dyche made it so, I did not name Drinkwater specifically, I think he could have used his other subs earlier to also change the game.

I would have preferred Drinkwater to Long mainly because, as I have already said, we only tried to unlock their back four using one tactic and Drinkwater may have enabled us to play in a different way (formation or tactics). Iv'e seen very little of Drinkwater recently, as i'm sure you know, and I have not said anything about us playing like Man City: The later was added by you in an attempt at sarcasm I assume.

I'm happy to disagree but it seems like you are only disagreeing to defend the sub. You don't think he could have done things differently? Not even saying to anymore success but if the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result then adding a CB to the box and doing the same thing we did for the previous 85 minutes and expecting to nick a goal is pretty close IMO.
I don’t like the fact we brought on a ‘big man’ as a last resort to score an equaliser. Clearly the change didn’t work but you don’t know if any alternative would have worked either. I doubt Dyche’s substitution would have been criticised much if Long had won a header from a corner that led to a goal - and it would hardly have been a massive surprise if that did happen considering we score a decent percentage of our goals from set pieces.

Our unused outfield subs were Lowton, Drinkwater and Pieters. Let’s say for example that Dyche doesn’t have much time for Drinkwater (evidence suggests that he doesn’t like his attitude and/or application), there was little else he could have done.

Anyway, we’re not getting anywhere so happy to leave it at that. Im clearly in a minority in not thinking that the substitution was so ridiculous but I’m fine with that.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:50 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:45 pm
I don’t like the fact we brought on a ‘big man’ as a last resort to score an equaliser. Clearly the change didn’t work but you don’t know if any alternative would have worked either. I doubt Dyche’s substitution would have been criticised much if Long had won a header from a corner that led to a goal - and it would hardly have been a massive surprise if that did happen considering we score a decent percentage of our goals from set pieces.

Our unused outfield subs were Lowton, Drinkwater and Pieters. Let’s say for example that Dyche doesn’t have much time for Drinkwater (evidence suggests that he doesn’t like his attitude and/or application), there was little else he could have done.

Anyway, we’re not getting anywhere so happy to leave it at that. Im clearly in a minority in not thinking that the substitution was so ridiculous but I’m fine with that.
Fair enough Rileybobs, I just like a good debate on here that's all :lol:
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

k90bfc
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 5529 times

Post by k90bfc » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:35 pm

Start using Barnfield to its full potential,may be a little bit more on tactics!

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:58 pm

we have been crap for weeks and that includes the games we have managed to win such as Bournemouth and Newcastle. The abject failure to develop the squad at all in the last few years is coming home to roost now. Mcneil apart the midfield is hopeless and in a weak midfield McNeil is a luxury. Who evers fault it is that we havent developed the squad is irrelevant. The fact that we have failed to do leaves the club as deserving its fate-next year if not this. Drinkwater Rodriguez Gudmundsen and Vydra cannot be any worse than those playing at the moment.
This user liked this post: Cleveleys_claret

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:16 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:39 pm

That's what I keep thinking, there are a lot of calls for Drinkwater without us having seen precisely what he would contribute, if anything.

If he was so incredible in training and his attitude was spot on I imagine he'd be starting.

Same with Vydra.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:22 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:16 pm
That's what I keep thinking, there are a lot of calls for Drinkwater without us having seen precisely what he would contribute, if anything.

If he was so incredible in training and his attitude was spot on I imagine he'd be starting.

Same with Vydra.
I don't know about that. When Dyche won't even drop the injured, horribly out of form Barnes then our fringe players must be banging their heads against the wall.

Greeny
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Greeny » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:28 pm

Sean’s mantra appears to be:-

Eat, Sleep, Repeat.

Great when the plan is working. Bonkers when the wheels have come off.

Who in their right mind would sign for us as SD sticks to the same currently flawed crew, leaving every possible alternative benchwarming week in + week out.

The Hung Juror
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by The Hung Juror » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:31 pm

Whilst, in the Premier League there is no doubt we are pinching way above our weight. However, as corporal Jones alludes to, the biggest disappointment to me is that despite having now spent a number of seasons in the PL, having obtained the finances that brings with it and being able to boast European football, we have still been unable to improve the quality of our squad.

Having watched Sheff Utd tonight the difference between them and us is stark. They play good precise attractive football and carried a goal threat throughout, the exact antithesis of our laboured, predictable and now ineffective style.

Whilst, I have always been a disciple of the principle that you can only play according to the strengths of the players at your disposal, the lack of any ability to initiate a plan B is shocking and may well define our season and possibly our relegation.

The fact we haven't progressed in terms of our squad since promotion to the PL is going to be our downfall. You cannot expect the whole team to continue playing right at the top of their abilities week in week out. Eventually something has got to give.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:39 pm

Greeny wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:28 pm
Sean’s mantra appears to be:-

Eat, Sleep, Repeat.

Great when the plan is working. Bonkers when the wheels have come off.

Who in their right mind would sign for us as SD sticks to the same currently flawed crew, leaving every possible alternative benchwarming week in + week out.
I see what you’re getting at but why do you feel the need to make things up?

This season Dyche has started all 4 of our full backs, all 4 of our central midfielders, all 4 of our wide players and Hendrick, making that 5, and 3 of our 4 centre forwards.

He hasn’t rotated the centre backs or the goalkeeper but I think it is obvious why. Clearly some players aren’t featuring, Vydra and Gibson being the main examples, but it may just be that the alternatives are significantly better than them and Dyche feels that it would be stupid to weaken the team to appease some fans who want to see changes for the sake of it.

The Hung Juror
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by The Hung Juror » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:41 pm

Whilst, in the Premier League there is no doubt we are pinching way above our weight. However, as corporal Jones alludes to, the biggest disappointment to me is that despite having now spent a number of seasons in the PL, having obtained the finances that brings with it and being able to boast European football, we have still been unable to improve the quality of our squad.

Having watched Sheff Utd tonight the difference between them and us is stark. They play good precise attractive football and carried a goal threat throughout, the exact antithesis of our laboured, predictable and now ineffective style.

Whilst, I have always been a disciple of the principle that you can only play according to the strengths of the players at your disposal, the lack of any ability to initiate a plan B is shocking and may well define our season and possibly our relegation.

The fact we haven't progressed in terms of our squad since promotion to the PL is going to be our downfall. You cannot expect the whole team to continue playing right at the top of their abilities week in week out. Eventually something has got to give.