The Excitement Of A Great Signing

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

The Excitement Of A Great Signing

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:02 pm

When did you get a genuine WOW from a signing in the current regime. For me

UNDER SD-Gray, Chris Wood,Danny Drinkwater (at the time),to some degree Jay Rod, Hendrick & Brady (as they were doing well for club and country) and Heaton. But in this regime we also had names like Pieters, Vydra, Crouch,Hart,Waters,Reid,

UNDER EDDY-a fair bit of dross ie Hines, Porter, Treacy, but some real WOW ones-Austin, Ings, Trippier,Mee, Stanislas

UNDER LAWS-not a lot, maybe Lee Grant who was a great servant

UNDER COYLE-Eagles, Fletcher,Nugent, Steve Thompson , Patterson (all great signings)

UNDER COTTS-Akinbiye , Harley,Elliott,Clarke Carlisle,Steve ?? our centre half and captain, Alexander,Phil Bardsley

UNDER STAN-some of the best-Robbie Black,Ian Wright, Ian Moore,Glenn Little, Steve Davies (second time), Mitchell Thomas, the Beast,Paul Cook, and many more

Something struck me-the poorer we were, the higher the quality of the signing at the time. Remember when Cotts could not even fill the bench and the squad was so small injured players went into the oxygen tanks

Happy times
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Re: The Excitement Of A Great Signing

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:05 pm

Andre Gray I think in the current regime.
Didn’t expect Us to spend that much on a player, better than what we had, lifted the whole club.

Then obviously Barton followed not long after which was huge but Gray was unexpected. Not much talk prior to it.
Last edited by Bordeauxclaret on Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:06 pm

Ian Wright
Gazza
Joey

With Joey being the only one who made a serious impact

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:08 pm

..and these two were superb for us and enabled us to finish as champions. Whilst not captain Joey was immense on the pitch and was always encouraging and lifting players. We sadly lack a talking leader today-I thought someone from our team was going to pass round the AFTER EIGHTS after Villa's second goal

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:09 pm

thought Eagles from Utd was a real show of intent from both player + club!

think Defour + Barton for Sean was a similar feeling!

something similar to these 3 this month would be great!

UTC

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11055 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:10 pm

sadly the last time was Ian Wright

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:10 pm

Most excitement around a signing - got to be Waddle

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:11 pm

I forgot DeFour-did not know much about him at the time, then my friends who follow European football told me what a legend he was in Belgium.He soon proved them right

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:17 pm

Back in the day resigning Dobbo and Taffy. Also John Bond's Kevin Reeves, Tommy Hutchinson and Steve Daly.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:22 pm

Was excited about the Charlie Austin signing.
Bloke who I worked with was a Barnsley season ticket holder and Tripps had been on loan there and think end up captaining them. He was gutted when we signed him and said we were getting a brilliant player....he was right.

When I heard the Ian Wright signing I was completely shocked and very excited - it was pre everything being plastered on the internet days. I was in the car and going through rawtenstall on my way back from work in Manchester when Radio Lancs broke the news on the 6pm news..I stopped the car to listen !

Excited when we signed Andy Payton as I’d hoped he would sign for us for years.

When we signed Robbie Blake and Ian Moore I was excited about both - they were big signings back in the day and both forwards too which is what we all want to see. One ended up a club legend....the other.....errrr !

More recently it’s hard to get too excited with the amount of money there is in the game - transfers and spending tens of millions is par for the course. It felt a lot more exciting back in the day...when we were struggling in the leagues it always felt good to sign a player who we had all seen play well for other teams. Ted McMinn, David Eyres and even the winger Mooney who tortured us for Preston. When they signed I genuinely could not wait to see them in a burnley shirt.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:23 pm

Andy-thats a long time ago to have experienced excitement. But I can relate to those two legends. I always hoped Brian O'Neil would return one day but he didn't

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:25 pm

I think as fans, the lift we got from some of these players was absolutely immense. Its good to hear these different recollections
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:26 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:02 pm
When did you get a genuine WOW from a signing in the current regime. For me

UNDER SD-Gray, Chris Wood,Danny Drinkwater (at the time),to some degree Jay Rod, Hendrick & Brady (as they were doing well for club and country) and Heaton. But in this regime we also had names like Pieters, Vydra, Crouch,Hart,Waters,Reid,

UNDER EDDY-a fair bit of dross ie Hines, Porter, Treacy, but some real WOW ones-Austin, Ings, Trippier,Mee, Stanislas

UNDER LAWS-not a lot, maybe Lee Grant who was a great servant

UNDER COYLE-Eagles, Fletcher,Nugent, Steve Thompson , Patterson (all great signings)

UNDER COTTS-Akinbiye , Harley,Elliott,Clarke Carlisle,Steve ?? our centre half and captain, Alexander,Phil Bardsley

UNDER STAN-some of the best-Robbie Black,Ian Wright, Ian Moore,Glenn Little, Steve Davies (second time), Mitchell Thomas, the Beast,Paul Cook, and many more

Something struck me-the poorer we were, the higher the quality of the signing at the time. Remember when Cotts could not even fill the bench and the squad was so small injured players went into the oxygen tanks

Happy times
I'm really pleased you saw Brian Jensen, Ian Moore and Steve Davis (second time round) as the happy times and that Eagles, Nugent and Paterson were all great signings. As for Laws, I think Marney should be first on the list. I'm not sure I follow this though, as what you men by WOW - signings such as Trippier and Mee were hardy WOW signings at the time, it took a long time for them to become good players with us.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:26 pm

Cant remember the feeling

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:32 pm

Fully agree re Marney and forgot him (its difficult to remember them all). I had heard great things about Trippier on Talk Sport and from a Barnsley friend-they said he was an immense crosser of the ball. I had watched Ben Mee a few times at Leicester. He was immense against us. Think Leicester won 4-0 and nothing got past him. He had Jay (who was in his prime then) in his pocket

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:37 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:11 pm
I forgot DeFour-did not know much about him at the time, then my friends who follow European football told me what a legend he was in Belgium.He soon proved them right
Defour was indeed a high class international though he was having P1ss thrown on him from the stands before we bought him . Still a genuine buzz we’d starting to take a chance on class though

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:37 pm

Only two mangers out with Super Glen and I doubt anyone said "wow" when he was signed.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:44 pm

I remember being really excited when we appointed Chris Waddle as manager :D :D

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 278 times
Has Liked: 3308 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:45 pm

I remember getting in Nogan, Barnes and Payton at different times.
The excitement of filling the phone box with a months pocket money just to listen to teamtalk :lol: :lol:

Helmshore Claret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Helmshore Claret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:49 pm

Colin Waldron was a proper 'big money signing'. He was very young and had gone to Chelsea( from Bury) but never settled and we paid a 'massive' £30,000 for him,everyone was flabbergasted. A great player and definitely my younger sister's favourite .

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:53 pm

Robbie Brady was the last time I was genuinely over the moon that we’d managed to pull the signing off. Look how that ones turned out.

I was also overjoyed, in a different sort of way, when we resigned Jack Cork two seasons ago. I still maintain he’s a great player when played in the correct system, with two others around him. No coincidence he was being talked about for an England call up in the first half of 2017/18. Looking at him now, you wouldn’t know it was the same player.

Claretpants
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Claretpants » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:55 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:26 pm
I'm really pleased you saw Brian Jensen, Ian Moore and Steve Davis (second time round) as the happy times and that Eagles, Nugent and Paterson were all great signings. As for Laws, I think Marney should be first on the list. I'm not sure I follow this though, as what you men by WOW - signings such as Trippier and Mee were hardy WOW signings at the time, it took a long time for them to become good players with us.
Was thinking the same thing! Cahill under Cotts wasn’t a WOW signing but watching him thought he would make a top player

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:04 pm

Cotts had his critics re his style of play, but wow he had an eye for a player. He could "sell the club" to a player. Remember he flew to America to interrupt Wayne Thomas's holiday and he signed for us (we did well on the re-sell of this player). He spotted Cahill in Villa's reserves, and he bought Gray from Sunderland, who scored his share of goals, then we made a handsome profit on him too

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:20 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:53 pm
No coincidence he was being talked about for an England call up in the first half of 2017/18
he won his one + only cap while playing for us! ;)

UTC

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:22 pm

Upon signing probably Ian Wright. From seeing them on the pitch and quickly probably Paul Cook, Tom Cowan and John McGreal who were a massive improvement in quality.