The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
hoskinsgoalatswansea
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 228 times

The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by hoskinsgoalatswansea » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:59 am

Burnley chairman Mike Garlick has delivered a reality check to supporters, believing the club should be proud of competing in the Premier League and feels the club's relatively limited financial power mean the Clarets can't expect to be splashing the cash.

The Turf Moor chief did say the club would look to 'stretch the structure' to ensure they are not left behind in the Premier League but the Clarets are not expected to be busy in the January transfer window.

Boss Sean Dyche said new signings are unlikely although the club are keen to strengthen their squad in the coming months.

And Garlick feels the club's stability is worth celebrating, saying 'you can't always count your support for a club in banknotes alone.'

"The modern game has changed so much since that golden era when we were last crowned champions of England in May 1960," said the Clarets chairman, writing in the matchday programme for the New Year's Day clash with Aston Villa which Burnley lost 2-1.

"These days there's pretty much a monopoly at the top end with the big six dominating the trophies and the financial aspect of the game at large.

"In the bread and butter of the league, only Leicester City have broken that glass ceiling with their fabulous charge to the title in 2016.

"Before then you have to back to the early days of the Premier League, when our near-neighbours Blackburn Rovers became the only team other than the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal to lift the trophy.

"In all cases, including those two exceptions, the common denominator has been heavy backing from wealthy individuals.

"In stark contrast I remain proud of the fact we've achieved everything we have to date with the financial support of local people.

"We may not be billionaires but you can't always count your support for a club in banknotes alone.

"There's a connection here that continues to serve us well.

"We all know we have a moral obligation, as servants, to maintain a healthy club for future generations.

"Wherever possible, we will look to stretch our structure because we all know the Premier League will wait for nobody.

"Our two new key appointments, in Neil Hart and Matt Williams, as Chief Executive and Chief Operating Officer respectively, will help drive the club forwards off the pitch, along with our hard-working staff, while on the pitch the game continues to move forwards apace.

"That we continue to keep up with the peloton is, I feel, something worthy of celebrating."

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/f ... e-17501890
This user liked this post: chekhov

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by thelaughingclaret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:46 am

The only way they can be no money at the club is if they have spent over £100 million on them corner stands. Either way the club is being run very poorly by so called ‘business men’.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:09 am

test

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:55 am

thelaughingclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:46 am
Either way the club is being run very poorly by so called ‘business men’.
Have you really just written that???
These 11 users liked this post: bobinho bfcjg Bosscat evensteadiereddie Colburn_Claret RalphCoatesComb Clarets4me Chester Perry Burnleyareback2 CombatClaret JimmyRobbo

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1393 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:05 am

"We all know we have a moral obligation, as servants, to maintain a healthy club for future generations..."

That'll do me.
These 4 users liked this post: bfcjg evensteadiereddie Taffy on the wing JimmyRobbo

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:15 am

"The Turf Moor chief did say the club would look to 'stretch the structure' to ensure they are not left behind in the Premier League but the Clarets are not expected to be busy in the January transfer window."

We won't be left behind in the Premier League, damn right skippy we'll be back in the Championship having to spend way more on a squad rebuild.

If he is saying the club can't spend 15-20 million (nobody expects us to spend 100 million) on a midfielder that would help galvanise the team and more than likely keep us in the division then we might as well pack the ******* thing in and raise the white flag now.

**** me, the person at the top should always in every single circumstance try and motivate the people below them and all I read are excuses padded out by "but look what we have done with being local" - small minded nonsense for the most part.

No doubt Garlick has done a lot of good things in his time at Burnley but reading that I'm thoroughly unimpressed by him and his leadership or lack thereof
These 11 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 tarkys_ears Lord Beamish Aclaret claretfern AndypR6 Enola Gay The Enclosure cockneyclaret Blackrod bf2k

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2566 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:56 am

thelaughingclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:46 am
Either way the club is being run very poorly by so called ‘business men’.
Jesus effing wept....... so you possess any critical thinking skills at all?

Ridiculous statement. Given a scenario where all clubs made the same number of right and wrong decisions, where do you think Burnley would naturally sit in the 91 clubs remaining in the football league? Some have suggested similar places to Millwall and Rotherham. Some have said similar to Preston and Blackpool. Then look where Burnley have finished under Garlick’s stewardship, and you think the club is being run very poorly? If you genuinely do think that, then I have to conclude that you’re an idiot.
These 4 users liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR Bosscat elwaclaret RalphCoatesComb

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:58 am

Negligence beyond belief if we dont strengthen in january. We were burnt the time Marney got injured when it was obvious we needed another option. We cant afford to take that risk again. Not just for the remainder of this season but the benefit of next. Going into next season with this squad of 30 somethings wouldn't be good enough regardless of level. We have got progressively worse since january 2018. And failed to improve the first team with signings since then.
These 3 users liked this post: cockneyclaret Blackrod bf2k

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:12 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:58 am
We have got progressively worse since january 2018.
2018 - P 37 | W 09 | D 06 | L 20 | F 37 | A 63 | Pts 35
2019 - P 38 | W 14 | D 07 | L 17 | F 49 | A 59 | Pts 49
These 3 users liked this post: Holtyclaret Bosscat BertiesBeehole

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:18 am

"stretch the structure"

SD now writing the speeches for Garlick - omg

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:34 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:15 am
No doubt Garlick has done a lot of good things in his time at Burnley but reading that I'm thoroughly unimpressed by him and his leadership or lack thereof
I'm not sure HE has done much, you could see what Kilby did, we heard and saw what flood did.
I'm not sure Garlick has done anything on his own just yet since being in sole charge.

Hes going on about past successes, not sure exactly how long he's been in sole charge, but our last 4 windows ( possibly more ) have been very poor, and that's got to do with him and his restrictions

alboclaret
Been Liked: 142 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by alboclaret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:39 am

Although this is all good and healthy for future of the club....its al.ost feels/sounds like a surrender speech also.
:(
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:46 am

A lot of what he says is simply FACT, I think it goes in one ear and out of the other to a lot on here. I’m glad you don’t run my business!

To say the club is being run poorly is ridiculous, I think if you asked every single club in the football pyramid they’d all say Burnley is an example of how to run a club. That’s not to say we don’t need to improve the squad, we do and he’s agreed we do.
These 2 users liked this post: chekhov cblantfanclub

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:48 am

I just wished 1 of SD or Garlick came out and said the block is SD doesn't want the players being offered or SD saying there is no money, which to be fair SD does seem to be saying in a round abouts way. And if the money has gone then WOW I can see the Teasdale out scenes returning very quickly.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:53 am

Interesting if not unsurprising comments by the Chairman. I guess, as we already knew, the overarching principles of the Club are to remain financially viable in the long term. Whichever course we steer have risks associated with them. Whether it be spending £30 million on a midfielder (the very minimum in most views) or keeping faith with what we've got. Neither guarantees success or us remaining in the Premier League and as such I suspect the chairman will take the financially more prudent and pragmatic option of not spending any money this window and hope we stay up. It's a calculated risk. Let's hope he is right.

As an aside, do we have any players in the U23 playing in midfield for instance who look anything like they could make the step up?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:53 am

I’m proud of us competing in the Premier League and I don’t expect us to be “splashing” the cash.

What I would like is for us to be better at identifying targets that will improve the team and therefore our chances of continuing to compete at this level.
These 2 users liked this post: Bfcboyo tiger76

texasbrit
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by texasbrit » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:58 am

Without any investment in the team during this transfer window will result in and increased likelihood we won’t maintain our PL status is that what Garlick means by stability and status ?

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:12 am

Should we really be expecting him & Dyche to be saying in interviews that we have a budget of £30m to spend this January? I'm guessing their recent statements are in part an effort to stop us getting fleeced by any selling clubs we do business with.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:16 am

Grimsdale wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:12 am
2018 - P 37 | W 09 | D 06 | L 20 | F 37 | A 63 | Pts 35
2019 - P 38 | W 14 | D 07 | L 17 | F 49 | A 59 | Pts 49
That's looking it on the year. The second half of the season we got into Europe we were dreadful. And the start of that following season.

Let's look at league positions instead. Points arent the best measure. After all liverpool came second last year on 97 points. Chelsea won the league a couple of years ago on 93. And on numerous occasions less than 80 have won it.

We aren't improving.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200104-091121_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200104-091121_Chrome.jpg (303.44 KiB) Viewed 5336 times
Screenshot_20200104-091043_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200104-091043_Chrome.jpg (301.01 KiB) Viewed 5336 times

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:16 am

I read that and wondered where I'd seen it before. They are Garlick's programme notes from the Villa game.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 am

At the risk of being shot down, I believe the board have backed SD. We have a squad as strong as I can remember with most positions covered. What I'm saying is Dyche has the parts, he just needs to rotate and shuffle the pack more often. To be honest I believe the squad is top heavy. The wage bill must be going through the roof and to spend £20 million plus at this time of the season, could prove folly. Like a lot on here I'm certainly not happy with the way things are going or the style of play, but January for me is not the time to be panic buying.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 am

ClaretAL wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:48 am
I just wished 1 of SD or Garlick came out and said the block is SD doesn't want the players being offered or SD saying there is no money, which to be fair SD does seem to be saying in a round abouts way. And if the money has gone then WOW I can see the Teasdale out scenes returning very quickly.
Teasdale out scenes returning very quickly? I read some nonsense on this board but this just shows how deluded some of our fans must be.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:19 am

I were taught at a very young age that If you have nothing positive to say, best say nothing.

Great PR approaching ST renewal invites.

chekhov

Post by chekhov » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:23 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 am
Teasdale out scenes returning very quickly? I read some nonsense on this board but this just shows how deluded some of our fans must be.
Yes it’s a strange comment. Hasn’t Teasdale already left the club?

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:24 am

chekhov wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:23 am
He passed away a few years back.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:26 am

Some laudable sentiments from Garlick, but theres a deeply depressing undertone there.

It's all very well talking about making sure the club is stewarded for future generations, but Garlick finds himself in a position to do more than that by a combination of good judgment (appointing and sticking by after relegation a good manager) and good fortune (our first promotion in particular owed a bit to luck).

Having got here, you've got to show some sort of fight to try and develop the club's horizons and stay and thrive at this level. That doesn't need to be reckless but it does need to show willing. All the mood music from the club now and over the past 18 months suggests no real appetite to show willing - theres a fatalism from Garlick and Dyche say (frankly not helped by Bentley) that effectively tells supporters we aren't going to try and find a way to compete. Put that together with our actions in the market - the team clearly needs renewal and it isnt happening - and theres a danger we appear to be effectively running down the club as a premier league enterprise, and doing so publicly.

That will breed discontent and it underestimates the importance of giving supporters hope. If enough supporters decide theres no point to burnley as a premier league club, they will stop going. We wont attract the new fans we need to replace older generations either. 40 years ago we found out what happens when supporters lose faith in the club in big numbers and we ended up in a dark dark place.

Mr Garlick shouldn't forget those lessons and he needs to weigh his hard headed business sense with a bit of feel for what it's required to engage and enthuse supporters, existing and potential. Because money in the bank alone doesn't equal a viable football club - you need people and supporters for that.
These 20 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets randomclaret2 Barry_Chuckle Rumpelstiltskin jrgbfc Lord Beamish ClaretAL yosserhughes Enola Gay Steddyman Burnley1989 scouseclaret cockneyclaret Murger DCWat Vegas Claret Blackrod Stan Tastic Burt Silverturf

chekhov

Post by chekhov » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:28 am

Barry_Chuckle wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:24 am
He passed away a few years back.
Yes I was aware of that. I was lightly mocking the earlier comment of Claret al.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:29 am

chekhov wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:23 am
I would have hoped so given he passed away almost four years ago and left the board not too long after Kilby came in. But to compare a recent struggle in the Premier League to the dark, dark days of the 4th division are simply amazing. As I said, just shows how deluded some of our fans must be. We get into the Premier League and suddenly because we are struggling for the last couple of months, it's a crisis. I think some need to realise what we've had in the last 3-4 years is as good as it gets.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:29 am

claretspice wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:26 am
Some laudable sentiments from Garlick, but theres a deeply depressing undertone there.

It's all very well talking about making sure the club is stewarded for future generations, but Garlick finds himself in a position to do more than that by a combination of good judgment (appointing and sticking by after relegation a good manager) and good fortune (our first promotion in particular owed a bit to luck).

Having got here, you've got to show some sort of fight to try and develop the club's horizons and stay and thrive at this level. That doesn't need to be reckless but it does need to show willing. All the mood music from the club now and over the past 18 months suggests no real appetite to show willing - theres a fatalism from Garlick and Dyche say (frankly not helped by Bentley) that effectively tells supporters we aren't going to try and find a way to compete. Put that together with our actions in the market - the team clearly needs renewal and it isnt happening - and theres a danger we appear to be effectively running down the club as a premier league enterprise, and doing so publicly.

That will breed discontent and it underestimates the importance of giving supporters hope. If enough supporters decide theres no point to burnley as a premier league club, they will stop going. We wont attract the new fans we need to replace older generations either. 40 years ago we found out what happens when supporters lose faith in the club in big numbers and we ended up in a dark dark place.

Mr Garlick shouldn't forget those lessons and he needs to weigh his hard headed business sense with a bit of feel for what it's required to engage and enthuse supporters, existing and potential. Because money in the bank alone doesn't equal a viable football club - you need people and supporters for that.
Brilliant post. Make hay while the sun shines.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:30 am

chekhov wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:28 am
Yes I was aware of that. I was lightly mocking the earlier comment of Claret al.
Because that's what you do. Rather than look at the context.

chekhov

Post by chekhov » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:31 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:29 am
I would have hoped so given he passed away almost four years ago and left the board not too long after Kilby came in. But to compare a recent struggle in the Premier League to the dark, dark days of the 4th division are simply amazing. As I said, just shows how deluded some of our fans must be. We get into the Premier League and suddenly because we are struggling for the last couple of months, it's a crisis. I think some need to realise what we've had in the last 3-4 years is as good as it gets.
Agree with this.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:35 am

Boss Sean Dyche said new signings are unlikely although the club are keen to strengthen their squad in the coming months.
This doesn’t make sense
How do we strengthen in the coming months if signings are unlikely?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:35 am

Brilliant post. Make hay while the sun shines.

Or at least try and fix the roof whilst the sun is shining...

chekhov

Post by chekhov » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:35 am

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:30 am
Because that's what you do. Rather than look at the context.
I tried my best (to introduce some humour). Not saying I was successful on this occasion however. For what it’s worth I was quite pleased with the droleness of my comment.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:40 am

chekhov wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:35 am
I tried my best (to introduce some humour). Not saying I was successful on this occasion however. For what it’s worth I was quite pleased with the droleness of my comment.
Sorry. Hopefully my equally droll humour wasn't lost on you :) I did laugh.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:00 am

ClaretTony wrote:
We get into the Premier League and suddenly because we are struggling for the last couple of months, it's a crisis. I think some need to realise what we've had in the last 3-4 years is as good as it gets.
I dont think there are too many fans who don't accept that. I think the concern is the lack of any indication that the club is going to try and renew the team and maintain the good times.

When fortune presents you with an opportunity to build a legacy, you have to take it. In terms of infrastructure, to some extent we have. But fan bases are built on optimism, memories and excitement. We aren't offering that and it is becoming a turn off for a concerning number of supporters.

There's currently a danger that far from leaving the Premier League (when we do; it will happen) we will do so with a fan base which is ultimately smaller than when we went up. That would be a disaster and reflect very badly on the stewardship of the club. It should be the other way round.
These 9 users liked this post: Sproggy ClaretAL cricketfieldclarets scouseclaret cockneyclaret Murger claretgimmer Dannyh1882 Blackrod

chekhov

Post by chekhov » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:02 am

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:40 am
Sorry. Hopefully my equally droll humour wasn't lost on you :) I did laugh.
Not at all. In seriousness I always enjoy your contributions to this board. Have a good day down at the shops!

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:04 am

I’ve said it before, but I think it bears repetition; for me, what the past two years or so have showed is that the chase of the Premier League was far better than it’s capture. Now we have it, we really do not have the means to keep it, and it will probably damage us quite badly before it escapes us.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretAL cockneyclaret

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 am

I think you can feel the tension brewing with poor displays since a comical West Ham didn't turn up.

I think we all know we need some new players. We should be able to risk 30m to try and save our season as something needs a spark fast. I see us in the relegation zone by February. I pray I am wrong.

That said people need to calm down condemning the entire squad. We are a player or two and a bit of confidence from being a very good side. Barnes , Westwood , Pope have been picked on recently.

A creative midfielder with pace must be out there somewhere . They exist Delefeou cost Watford less than Brady or Hendrick. We must address why we are not finding deals and buying over priced British championship players. The one time we risk on a foreign talent and he is slow and injury prone but when he played he was the best player on the turf in the last 20 years.

We need to broaden our horizons if we are to stay in the top league and change our transfer structure entirely. I cannot see it happening and if it does it will be the slowest reactive response in history.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets cockneyclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:11 am

claretspice wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:00 am
I dont think there are too many fans who don't accept that. I think the concern is the lack of any indication that the club is going to try and renew the team and maintain the good times.

When fortune presents you with an opportunity to build a legacy, you have to take it. In terms of infrastructure, to some extent we have. But fan bases are built on optimism, memories and excitement. We aren't offering that and it is becoming a turn off for a concerning number of supporters.

There's currently a danger that far from leaving the Premier League (when we do; it will happen) we will do so with a fan base which is ultimately smaller than when we went up. That would be a disaster and reflect very badly on the stewardship of the club. It should be the other way round.
I was referring to the suggestion that compared now with the Teasdale era.

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:12 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 am
CT agree with lots you say but you cant honestly think that if (and thats a big IF) it came out that all the money had gone there would not be calls for the chairman to stand down? Of course their would, even now with just the the way things are at the moment without that bombshell being dropped people are questioning him.
My personal view is who ever is the PR adviser for the club, really need to gauge public opinion as at the moment its 1 nail after another every time they open their mouths, and granted its at a fractious times, but lets not add fuel to it.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets cockneyclaret

chekhov

Post by chekhov » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:13 am

claretspice wrote:
(when we do; it will happen)
Nice use of semicolon there Claretspice. It’s a sadly underused form of punctuation these days.
I’d use them more often but I worry people will think I’m being pretentious; I’d easily undercut that however with my use of exclamation marks!

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:17 am

claretspice wrote:

Not sure what you want them to indicate given they have tied down our best manager since Harry Potts to a long term deal....

Absolute rubbish that we aren’t offering optimism, memories and excitement....people really need to give their head a wobble as to what is excitement If that’s the case. People need to realise that teams are paying a years tv money for one player and we are outperforming our relative size and income each season, so what more can we do...

Norwich are playing exciting football each week and will likely go down. Bournemouth are in the bottom 3 and they spent all the game sprawled on the pitch the other week...etc. Not great to watch at all.

Not sure how the fan base will be smaller when we go down....however, for when the inevitable comes it’s best to enjoy the ride. The thing that doesn’t help is the constant negativity....

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:18 am

ClaretTony wrote:
I think you need to read the comment again and not make your own conjecture up to say look at me. I said If all the money has gone? nothing about the dark days of the 4th division, and was drawing a picture of the last time the fans rose against the board/chairman, but you carry on painting any picture you want....

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:18 am

I wished I'd never opened this thread. The usual experts telling us how it should be done, the idiots who can't see the wood for the trees and the doom mongers.

If things are so bad, why do so many still bother? 4 seasons in PL but they can't stop sharing how they (Dave from the warehouse who's got his FA Level 1 and got Colchester promoted to the PL on football manager) would have done better.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:29 am

ClaretTony wrote:

It is the football that is the problem on the pitch. Where has the rock solid defence gone and the ability to string a few passes together. Glimmers of it have flashed through in the previous 2 second halves but other than that it's been hard to watch all season with only league position stopping the groans.
We will all take survival playing ugly but if we were to go down playing how we have it is a big turn off. The high point over the last 4 years was a fit in form Defour in midfield spreading the ball about and it gave the other players confidence and time to play a more attractive style going forwards.

A creative midfielder and striker with pace are required to give us more options on the pitch. They don't need to cost the earth to be better than what we have at the moment.

I'd have Andre Gray back right now with two left boots to inject a bit of pace that we need and cause the opposition a different problem. We have been sussed by other managers and if is showing now.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:31 am

chekhov wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:02 am
Not at all. In seriousness I always enjoy your contributions to this board. Have a good day down at the shops!
Already regretting it. Car park wars.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6899 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:35 am

ClaretAL wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:18 am
I think you need to read the comment again and not make your own conjecture up to say look at me. I said If all the money has gone? nothing about the dark days of the 4th division, and was drawing a picture of the last time the fans rose against the board/chairman, but you carry on painting any picture you want....
What do you mean by ‘if all the money has gone’?

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:41 am

Garlic needs to learn to shut is mouth. What an ******* dick. He’s meant to be the leader of this club and both him and Dyche are a disgrace coming out every bloody week whinging and moaning.

Get on with your ******* jobs ffs

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:41 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Why is it as ‘good as it gets’?

We’ve created a platform for growth, to sustain and continue to progress this the business needs to invest into its playing product and diversify its offer into new markets. It’s a simple business plan, but one that’s made very easy by being able to predict your income and outgoings with a relative degree of accuracy.

You could argue that running to a zero budget, or to a minor loss benefits the club in the short term, the only positive to running a business to a profit is to maximise its sale potential.

We’ve seen growth in worldwide markets, but we now need an expansion by investing in players from those regions. Park wasn’t bought by United because he was the best player for the position he was bought to open up the South Korean market, it was a financial decision. Liverpool have just done it, the Japanese lad is 23 and opens up Japan to the Liverpool brand for the next few years, his fee of 7million will be paid for almost instantly through shirt sales etc. It helps that he’s a good player too.

You can’t seriously advocate a slide back into the championship to ensure the club ‘exists’ for the future. If that is the plan then the money will run out, the fans will be alienated, and we will descend into the dark days again. It’s not a comparison between the two more the early identification of problems that have been underlying for the last two years. Stoke suffered/are suffering exactly the same problem.
Last edited by Danieljwaterhouse on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 7 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 ClaretAL cricketfieldclarets wilks_bfc cockneyclaret Anonymous Lord Beamish