The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:43 am

NL Claret wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:18 am
I wished I'd never opened this thread. The usual experts telling us how it should be done, the idiots who can't see the wood for the trees and the doom mongers.

If things are so bad, why do so many still bother? 4 seasons in PL but they can't stop sharing how they (Dave from the warehouse who's got his FA Level 1 and got Colchester promoted to the PL on football manager) would have done better.
It’s a business football and a very unique one, we haven’t adapted to the rules of the game yet.

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:46 am

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:41 am
Why is it as ‘good as it gets’?

We’ve created a platform for growth, to sustain and continue to progress this the business needs to invest into its playing product and diversify its offer into new markets. It’s a simple business plan, but one that’s made very easy by being able to predict your income and outgoings with a relative degree of accuracy.

You could argue that running to a zero budget, or to a minor loss benefits the club in the short term, the only positive to running a business to a profit is to maximise its sale potential.

We’ve seen growth in worldwide markets, but we now need an expansion by investing in players from those regions. Park wasn’t bought by United because he was the best player for the position he was bought to open up the South Korean market, it was a financial decision. Liverpool have just done it, the Japanese lad is 23 and opens up Japan to the Liverpool brand for the next few years, his fee of 7million will be paid for almost instantly through shirt sales etc. It helps that he’s a good player too.

You can’t seriously advocate a slide back into the championship to ensure the club ‘exists’ for the future. If that is the plan then the money will run out, the fans will be alienated, and we will descend into the dark days again. It’s not a comparison between the two more the early identification of problems that have been underlying for the last two years. Stoke suffered/are suffering exactly the same problem.
Logged in just to like. Absolutely spot on post. Its a travesty to think we wont invest this window given how much were crying out for certain positions.
This user liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:49 am

NL Claret wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:18 am

If things are so bad, why do so many still bother?
That's the problem. Many already arent.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:53 am

The Chairman's comments all make perfect sense - it shows that we need to be a lot sharper in recruitment as we can't afford the expensive mistakes that litter other clubs. If we're failing. it's in not identifying talent in the lower leagues and abroad and relying on one final effort from old warhorses to survive

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:54 am

I dont understand this "we've had 4 years in the prem" nonsense?

I want my club to fight to be the best and try and stay in the prem. Too many are happy to go down with a whimper! And i dont mean bet the ranch to stay up but we need to invest in quality playing staff from time to time!

Unfortunately it looks as though Garlick has the same mindset as CT. Back to the championship I guess!

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:54 am

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:

We’ve created a platform for growth, to sustain and continue to progress this the business needs to invest into its playing product and diversify its offer into new markets. It’s a simple business plan, but one that’s made very easy by being able to predict your income and outgoings with a relative degree of accuracy.

You could argue that running to a zero budget, or to a minor loss benefits the club in the short term, the only positive to running a business to a profit is to maximise its sale potential.

We’ve seen growth in worldwide markets, but we now need an expansion by investing in players from those regions. Park wasn’t bought by United because he was the best player for the position he was bought to open up the South Korean market, it was a financial decision. Liverpool have just done it, the Japanese lad is 23 and opens up Japan to the Liverpool brand for the next few years, his fee of 7million will be paid for almost instantly through shirt sales etc. It helps that he’s a good player too.

You can’t seriously advocate a slide back into the championship to ensure the club ‘exists’ for the future. If that is the plan then the money will run out, the fans will be alienated, and we will descend into the dark days again. It’s not a comparison between the two more the early identification of problems that have been underlying for the last two years. Stoke suffered/are suffering exactly the same problem.
Brilliantly put

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:57 am

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:

Completely agree with the above!! Some people just seem happy for us to roll over!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:58 am

claretspice wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:26 am
Having got here, you've got to show some sort of fight to try and develop the club's horizons and stay and thrive at this level. That doesn't need to be reckless but it does need to show willing. All the mood music from the club now and over the past 18 months suggests no real appetite to show willing - theres a fatalism from Garlick and Dyche say (frankly not helped by Bentley) that effectively tells supporters we aren't going to try and find a way to compete. Put that together with our actions in the market - the team clearly needs renewal and it isnt happening - and theres a danger we appear to be effectively running down the club as a premier league enterprise, and doing so publicly.
I think it's clearly obvious that when Mike Garlick starts talking about our past achievements in the Prem he's preparing for relegation and it wouldn't surprise me if he's even expecting relegation this season.

We've already got seven wins, so why on earth can't we take a small risk to try and sure another four wins which will almost certainly see us in the top flight for another season at least?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:00 am

An uninspiring, bland, safe pair of hands who cannot bring himself to sound remotely optimistic in case he raises expectations that he’ll be judged against later.

It’s that I could be referring to the Chairman or the manager that I find most depressing. One always capable of surviving, the other always capable of keeping the club solvent. No doubts. Just depressing blandness.

I don’t want to bring politics into this per se, but compare and contrast to the man who has just persuading Burnley people to elect one of his candidates as MP - relentless optimism despite financially having probably the same challenges as BFC. That’s what people want. Optimism.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:03 am

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Thing is then it still doesn’t open up an easy avenue of shirt sales as the club have the monopoly of where they are sold.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:05 am

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:

Yeah that’s sign an asian chap for shirt sales and not players good enough to make an impact on the pitch.

Fans turning into “business” men is what is wrong with this club. All these different ideas of making millions when in reality it just wouldn’t.

What we need is to get in players better than what we have rather than signing players that aren't good enough like we’ve been doing over the past few years.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:05 am

I understand his sentiment, but I don't imagine any Burnley fan wants us to put ourselves in a financial black-hole, I think most are just asking to make sure we can compete and given the weaknesses, lack of depth and ageing squad, I can't see it being long before remaining in the Prem is beyond us. We need action soon to prevent the inevitable.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:08 am

Santa brought me a copy of the Bob Lord book for Christmas and one of the interesting conclusions in that was the inability of Fat Bob to work in partnership with anyone else. He insisted that players had to be flogged off for the club to survive however maybe if he had been more collaborative and able to work with other local or regional business people, that might not have necessarily been the case.

Moving into the present day, I think we have a similar situation. There is no doubt that our Board has done a fine job, especially with their choice of manager, their development of he training facilities etc. but the League of Gentleman approach can only end up one way eventually. There are hardly any clubs in the EPL that are not owned by corporations or very rich business people who provide the necessary finance to maintain & prolong EPL status. Some way needs to be found of attracting finance in but maintaining all that is good about our club.

It will be no different in the Championship. Charlton have announced that they have been taken over by an Oil Sheik from UAE. If we go down we probably get one shot at getting back up like last time, and if we don't do it, the cannons and anchor and everything will have to be flung overboard to keep us afloat.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:10 am

claretspice wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:26 am
Some laudable sentiments from Garlick, but theres a deeply depressing undertone there.

It's all very well talking about making sure the club is stewarded for future generations, but Garlick finds himself in a position to do more than that by a combination of good judgment (appointing and sticking by after relegation a good manager) and good fortune (our first promotion in particular owed a bit to luck).

Having got here, you've got to show some sort of fight to try and develop the club's horizons and stay and thrive at this level. That doesn't need to be reckless but it does need to show willing. All the mood music from the club now and over the past 18 months suggests no real appetite to show willing - theres a fatalism from Garlick and Dyche say (frankly not helped by Bentley) that effectively tells supporters we aren't going to try and find a way to compete. Put that together with our actions in the market - the team clearly needs renewal and it isnt happening - and theres a danger we appear to be effectively running down the club as a premier league enterprise, and doing so publicly.

That will breed discontent and it underestimates the importance of giving supporters hope. If enough supporters decide theres no point to burnley as a premier league club, they will stop going. We wont attract the new fans we need to replace older generations either. 40 years ago we found out what happens when supporters lose faith in the club in big numbers and we ended up in a dark dark place.

Mr Garlick shouldn't forget those lessons and he needs to weigh his hard headed business sense with a bit of feel for what it's required to engage and enthuse supporters, existing and potential. Because money in the bank alone doesn't equal a viable football club - you need people and supporters for that.
Good post is that to be fair

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:12 am

I think the bigger issue is the dross we are playing on the pitch. I can’t help but feel a lot more people would be happy with our lot, if we weren’t so miserable to watch week in week out. Suggesting we aren’t getting any more new players, just tells us that dross is going to continue.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:15 am

Spijed wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:58 am
I think it's clearly obvious that when Mike Garlick starts talking about our past achievements in the Prem he's preparing for relegation and it wouldn't surprise me if he's even expecting relegation this season.

We've already got seven wins, so why on earth can't we take a small risk to try and sure another four wins which will almost certainly see us in the top flight for another season at least?
They didn’t want us in Europe, and I even heard one director say that on more than one occasion when I’ve sat in the directors box. I’m not sure they’d want us back in the championship though.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Danieljwaterhouse

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:19 am

Dyched wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:05 am
Yeah that’s sign an asian chap for shirt sales and not players good enough to make an impact on the pitch.

Fans turning into “business” men is what is wrong with this club. All these different ideas of making millions when in reality it just wouldn’t.

What we need is to get in players better than what we have rather than signing players that aren't good enough like we’ve been doing over the past few years.
I am a business man, and I am a fan. I am entitled to an opinion.

Signing players from emerging markets or established players to increase the revenue of a club isn’t exactly left field! It’s done in all sports. The ideal plan would be to find a player that fits both dynamics.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:20 am

If we are relegated we will see how well run we really have been, it’s easy to preach “we are making profit” while spending nothing on transfers and receiving £120m yearly.

As for the Garlick bullshit, it doesn’t surprise me. Have we learnt from the Marney situation? Have we ****. Summer transfer business: Pieters £1.5m, Rodriguez £5m, Drinkwater loan and BPF £2m (guess). I make that £8.5m spent on transfer fees, pretty pathetic in itself and we have no money to sign 1 or 2 in January? I forgot Heaton sale makes net spend in the summer of 0.

We seemingly have to sell to buy, where is all the money going? We are spending nothing on transfers year on year and when we do spend a little it’s usually following sales Vokes Heaton Keane Gray.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 499 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by boyyanno » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:21 am

The club were keen to tell us about the 20m player we missed out on in the summer in an attempt to pacify fans who were unhappy with the window.

Garlick needs to be very careful because that clearly shows A: we have a transfer kitty capable of getting at least one decent player, and B: you'd assume some wages, as he wasn't going to play for nothing. Fans are rightly starting to question things because it's about time we invested in the playing squad with the money that Garlick himself acknowledged was available.

Investing in the playing squad isn't lost money unless the recruitment is poor, it actually provides the club with assets and, if done well, assets that may appreciate.

Garlick has run the club very efficiently in his tenure but at this stage if we are more bothered about posting a big profit than investing in the team then it would indicate he wants to sell the club in my opinion.

Danieljwaterhouse

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:22 am

wilks_bfc wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:03 am
Thing is then it still doesn’t open up an easy avenue of shirt sales as the club have the monopoly of where they are sold.
You’re right and that’s one of the elements of progression needed, you cannot centralise your sales to a small market town in Lancashire. If you do persist with this model at least ensure the website and service is exemplary, which it isn’t.

The shirt is symbolic of the club and so needs to be in competition with all those shirts available in the international markets through a number of providers.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:24 am

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:19 am
I am a business man, and I am a fan. I am entitled to an opinion.

Signing players from emerging markets or established players to increase the revenue of a club isn’t exactly left field! It’s done in all sports. The ideal plan would be to find a player that fits both dynamics.
You are of course.

This is about the January window. Apparently no money to spend. If we spent this month searching Asia for a player for shirt sales because 2 of the biggest clubs in world have done it, 2 clubs that tour there every year and have for decades that would be daft.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:25 am

It's kind of like the Board (and the manager to some extent) are taking a very 'Premier League' viewpoint that the fans don't really matter.

They know where the money comes from and the only remit is to cling onto the gravy train.

I was pretty surprised in Dyche's interview following the Villa game that he said 'the fans can either choose to come with us or not, that's their choice'.

Well your're gonna be needing them a hell of a lot more if you're dumped in the Championship, financially and otherwise.

Danieljwaterhouse

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:27 am

boyyanno wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:21 am
The club were keen to tell us about the 20m player we missed out on in the summer in an attempt to pacify fans who were unhappy with the window.

Garlick needs to be very careful because that clearly shows A: we have a transfer kitty capable of getting at least one decent player, and B: you'd assume some wages, as he wasn't going to play for nothing. Fans are rightly starting to question things because it's about time we invested in the playing squad with the money that Garlick himself acknowledged was available.

Investing in the playing squad isn't lost money unless the recruitment is poor, it actually provides the club with assets and, if done well, assets that may appreciate.

Garlick has run the club very efficiently in his tenure but at this stage if we are more bothered about posting a big profit than investing in the team then it would indicate he wants to sell the club in my opinion.
I agree, everything I can see is pointing to the preparation for the club to sold or be up for sale.
This user liked this post: CrosspoolClarets

Danieljwaterhouse

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:30 am

Dyched wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:24 am
You are of course.

This is about the January window. Apparently no money to spend. If we spent this month searching Asia for a player for shirt sales because 2 of the biggest clubs in world have done it, 2 clubs that tour there every year and have for decades that would be daft.
I’d hope player recruitment is a year round process. I’d want us to start touring more progressively, exploring the markets that aren’t typical for us.

I am totally behind the need to recruit successfully in the January window. We are exposed currently, especially with Hendrick rumoured to be talking to other clubs.
This user liked this post: tiger76

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:34 am

So with the sales of Heaton and Vokes we have made net profit on transfer fees in the last 2 transfer windows.

One of the happy clappers please tell me how we haven’t got the money to buy a couple of players

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:37 am

Some peoples expectations far exceed the reality.
I'm sure Mike Garlic would love to throw cash around to ensure his beloved Burnley remain in the Premiership, but he has a responsibility that outweighs his ambition. This is why we need business people like him to run the ranch, because in our unbusiness like hands the club would die the death.

Our market is a long way from the rest of the league, we have to find quality where others aren't looking, and that market is minuscule. even if we find a bargain that we can afford, the truth is that we could be outbid in wages by 17 of the other 19 clubs.

The team is getting old, and stale. Too many in their 30s, and not showing signs of improving. The players have been fantastic for us, despite the current slump, we should all remember that. If we buy young talent, untried at this level, it's a gamble, but one we can afford. If they come off, great, if they don't we aren't screwed. The issue is when we buy those players they need 6 months to find their feet, learn the Dyche way, and make a difference, only this time we don't have 6 months to spare. We need new players, and we need them to start, and we need them this window.
If we find them I'll be over the moon, but if we don't I won't be throwing stones at Mikes window, because he's done everything he could for us, and there is no one out there, willing to take up the baton, that could have done a better job.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:44 am

Honestly Colburn i want to believe that, but net transfer fees in the summer neutralised a spend and you would also expect neutralised the wages too to some extent, with those going out. and with 4 years at the top table we still only seem to muster around 20M i really dont understand if we are run correctly then how is it all the other teams of which some are similar to ours in size, manage to do it year after year never mind after 4 years of accumulating savings by not doing it? I also watch the signings made in the championship and againmore clubs our size competing in the market and uncovering gems. As stated earlier i just wish i knew where the block was, Money, or Dyche.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:45 am

dougcollins wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:25 am
It's kind of like the Board (and the manager to some extent) are taking a very 'Premier League' viewpoint that the fans don't really matter.

They know where the money comes from and the only remit is to cling onto the gravy train.

I was pretty surprised in Dyche's interview following the Villa game that he said 'the fans can either choose to come with us or not, that's their choice'.

Well your're gonna be needing them a hell of a lot more if you're dumped in the Championship, financially and otherwise.
Wow! he actually said that about the fans that's weird,but sadly not a surprise given the noises from the club recently,and Sean is correct the fans do have a choice,and if this board is to be believed many fans are choosing not to renew next season,whichever league we're playing in.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:49 am

If this forum is anything to go by on getting a good view of the general belief and opinion then there is some real unrest amongst the supporters. A few more lacklustre defeats with another unsuccessful window and unfortunately the crowd will turn. This will be at the worst possible time , we need a signing or two.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:50 am

Garlick wants to keep his mouth shut.

If the players get wind of negativity coming from the chairman it could quite easily effect their performances.

Some will see this has time to jump ship

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:57 am

The problem with our current approach is that we've got one of the oldest squads in the league. Sooner or later we need to bring in some younger replacements and if we only shop in England that's going to cost us £15-25 million a player. If we won't do that there will come a point of collapse and we'll get relegated. It's possible to sustain a PL club by signing Championship players but you have to be willing to spend big occasionally (like we did with Wood and Hendrick).

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:59 am

Bfcboyo wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:49 am
If this forum is anything to go by on getting a good view of the general belief and opinion then there is some real unrest amongst the supporters. A few more lacklustre defeats with another unsuccessful window and unfortunately the crowd will turn. This will be at the worst possible time , we need a signing or two.
Well if we don't sign anybody in this window,we'll have to recruit in the summer anyway as there's several players ooc,surely it makes more sense to strenghten well we still have a evens chance of maintaining PL status,you'd have thought being at the top table would give us an advantage,but we seem to have thrown in the towel,or the chairman is banking on our present squad having enough to get us over the line,this stems back to a poor summer window for the 2nd year running i'm afraid.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:04 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:44 am
Honestly Colburn i want to believe that, but net transfer fees in the summer neutralised a spend and you would also expect neutralised the wages too to some extent, with those going out. and with 4 years at the top table we still only seem to muster around 20M i really dont understand if we are run correctly then how is it all the other teams of which some are similar to ours in size, manage to do it year after year never mind after 4 years of accumulating savings by not doing it? I also watch the signings made in the championship and againmore clubs our size competing in the market and uncovering gems. As stated earlier i just wish i knew where the block was, Money, or Dyche.
There aren't teams similar to us. Bournemouth may be 'smaller', but they have their sugar daddies footing the bill. Only Sheff U and Norwich appear to do it the 'Burnley' way. Even teams in the championship have these Billionaire sugar daddies and are run at a constant loss. Try and imagine what we have achieved over the last 10 years, then consider what the likes of Derby, Boro, Sheff Wed, Notts Forrest etc have spent to be nowhere near us. Try and imagine what would happen to us if we spent like them and were relegated anyway. We aren't talking about a season or two in the Championship, we are talking extinction.
The question isn't wether MG is doing the right thing or the wrong thing, it's is there an alternative option out there, and there isn't. At least not one that can guarantee success, and in order for us to commit the kind of money some fans want us to, it would have to be guaranteed success. There's no such thing in football as a guarantee.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:08 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:21 am

That doesn’t really stack up though, because if Garlick wants to sell, he HAS to sell Burnley as a Premier League club to get a decent price. We’re barely worth anything as a run-of-the-mill Championship club. That means he needs to invest now to reduce the risk of getting relegated.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:10 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:34 am
So with the sales of Heaton and Vokes we have made net profit on transfer fees in the last 2 transfer windows.

One of the happy clappers please tell me how we haven’t got the money to buy a couple of players
Wages and bonuses have also gone up. Do you have access to the company accounts? Even your grandad could understand them!

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:13 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:08 pm
That doesn’t really stack up though, because if Garlick wants to sell, he HAS to sell Burnley as a Premier League club to get a decent price. We’re barely worth anything as a run-of-the-mill Championship club. That means he needs to invest now to reduce the risk of getting relegated.
What’s it worth as a small prem league club? How much would you spend, how much would you invest each year and what % ROI would you want?

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:20 pm

Whether we stay up or not, the constant bleating about how hard it is to compete won't be doing season ticket sales any good.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:24 pm

it’s not really about ROI, it’s more about trophy assets for a lot of these owners. It might sound ridiculous to describe Burnley in such terms, but we’re a damn site more attractive as a Premier League club.

The point, though, is that there is no evidence Garlick wants to sell.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:27 am
I agree, everything I can see is pointing to the preparation for the club to sold or be up for sale.
Spot on. That is what is screaming at me. Nothing will be allowed to jeopardise the ultimate sale fee. The fans and longevity of the club are no doubt important in the eyes of the board, I wouldn’t dream of implying that isn’t the case, but probably lower down the food chain.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:30 pm

Dyched wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:24 am
You are of course.

Absolute it’d be a waste of time chasing players for shirt sales, I think we can agree on that. But that type of thinking is what we need. We’re all immensely proud of what OUR small team from a small town has done.

We should be playing on that whilst also trying to maximise our exposure in other markets after all BFC is also a business.

The problem is if those at the top are happy with what we have and have fat pockets as a result, then unfortunately for the rest of us nothing much will change.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:35 pm

We should be selling ourselves to young players in this country and Europe as a potential stepping stone to the top. Come and have a good season or 2 with us and you'll put yourself in the shop window for a big move. The same way Keane, Trippier and Ings did.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:49 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:10 pm
Wages and bonuses have also gone up. Do you have access to the company accounts? Even your grandad could understand them!
The premier league income has also gone up, not sure why you chose to bring my family into this, quite poor to mention a dead relative to make your point.

texasbrit
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by texasbrit » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:55 pm

if Garlick is sitting on past survival as a successful business plan what has changed this season?
The best financial plan for bfc is PL football and you strive to maintain this even if it means more investment than originally planned, not betting everything but you need investment to tread water when all around are advancing

championship football is not an option in my opinion and neither should it be Garlicks, if it is then he needs to hand the reigns to someone who is prepared to invest

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:59 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:49 pm
The premier league income has also gone up, not sure why you chose to bring my family into this, quite poor to mention a dead relative to make your point.
Look at the accounts and you will see where the money goes. No need to ask stupid questions.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:02 pm

Needs to find his bottle and tell Dyche to ship out the players he doesn't play and get some decent ones in before our season goes tits up.

If he can’t get us competing in the premier league then I’m afraid his time is also up and to sell on with someone with some ambition for us to at least be competing with mid table teams, not looking at the trap door every season.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:06 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:49 am
That's the problem. Many already arent.
You've lost me there, what is that based on? Don't tell me, you know 1000s who aren't renewing.

Ohh the drama on UTC.

Looking forward to your half time post on what Dyche should be doing in the second half.
These 2 users liked this post: dandeclaret evensteadiereddie

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2568 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:17 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:00 am
I dont think there are too many fans who don't accept that. I think the concern is the lack of any indication that the club is going to try and renew the team and maintain the good times.

When fortune presents you with an opportunity to build a legacy, you have to take it. In terms of infrastructure, to some extent we have. But fan bases are built on optimism, memories and excitement. We aren't offering that and it is becoming a turn off for a concerning number of supporters.

There's currently a danger that far from leaving the Premier League (when we do; it will happen) we will do so with a fan base which is ultimately smaller than when we went up. That would be a disaster and reflect very badly on the stewardship of the club. It should be the other way round.
You post as though the team are cut adrift at the bottom of the league. rather than with a reasonable buffer above the trap door when you talk about maintaining the good times.

Clubs who go down, having been consistently battling to maintain their premier league status usually have a smaller base, as people, understandably become disillusioned with it, whilst the reality is that it's sometimes difficult to appreciate this is as good as it gets. It's nothing to do with stewardship - it's just reality.

As for building a legacy? We've a training ground that sets us up for the next 20 years, we've got community schemes that have embedded the club deeper into the community and the Youth Setup has been elevated to Cat 2 and will hopefully start to produce players. Looks like a legacy to me.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2568 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:24 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:00 am

I don’t want to bring politics into this per se, but compare and contrast to the man who has just persuading Burnley people to elect one of his candidates as MP - relentless optimism despite financially having probably the same challenges as BFC. That’s what people want. Optimism.
Aye, I recently visited the sunlit Tory uplands of Burnley - it's amazing how much it's changing.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:33 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:00 am

Your analogy is better suited to Rovers fans and the Venkeys. Lies, bad advice, no knowledge, gullible fans ignoring reality.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:36 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:27 am
I tried to highlight this previously but the post was deleated, I hinted it to Leisure too.

The only real reason a business would keep posting big profiles, whilst neglecting the first 11 on the field, spending as little as possible to get by, and that is to show any potential buyer a well run profitable business.

It all looks very good looking at the books.

Who benefits the most If/when the clubs sold?

Yes thats right the multi millionaire major share holder, who will no doubt make as much as he has done in the last 2 decades over night with a sale.

Whilst may I add will have put very little if not no money of his own in.
What he invested initially has been paid back and more imo.

The average fan puts more money into the club than Mike Garlick, he doesn't so happen to buy as much as a packet of crisps from the club.
Last edited by MACCA on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.