The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18105
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6924 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:10 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:58 am
You’re thinking using the current model and offer. I’m suggesting we as a club need to expand into markets we don’t currently operate in.

You can do that through partnerships, you can do that via player purchases or you can do it via exposure during visits.

Burnley FC is a brand, there isn’t enough revenue in East Lancashire to sustain it should the worst happen. It requires the brand to be built and expanded.

There’s a big old world out there
Agree. With football tourism huge and a massive global audience out there we are a unique club that appeals to many.

I've got friends from Italy who are Inter Milan season ticket holders. But they're obsessed with us. In part because of how different we are.
This user liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse

CombatClaret
Posts: 2939
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1350 times
Has Liked: 646 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:10 pm
Agree. With football tourism huge and a massive global audience out there we are a unique club that appeals to many.

I've got friends from Italy who are Inter Milan season ticket holders. But they're obsessed with us. In part because of how different we are.
Can I see your cost/benefit analysis and weighs up if it's worth it for this massive international brand campaign?

Why I can't walk into SportsDirect and buy a Sampdoria shirt? Because there's not a global market big enough outside of Genoa to warrant some kind of big international advertising or merchandise push, If I really want one, guess what, I can buy it from the online Sampdoria store.

A few years in the top flight and the average soccer fan might just about manage to name us in a 49 team Premier League quiz. Claret and Blue marketing specks well and truly on re: our global appeal.

CombatClaret
Posts: 2939
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1350 times
Has Liked: 646 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:57 pm

Genuinely can anyone tell me, beside TV advertising (eg: shirts, hoardings, interview backboard) space, what can Burnely offer an international company that they'd be willing to give us hard cash for?

The big clubs have massive global brand deals because of years of on-pitch success. Horse, then cart.
Some teams like Wolves or Leicester have a niche following in specific countries because their billionaire owners are from there.

If we're going to slag off the club for it's small town mentality or not thinking globally please suggest some ways to solve this which wouldn't cost the club a huge upfront sum (eg: stocking shirts in shops around the world).
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

Danieljwaterhouse
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:55 pm
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:01 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 pm
Can I see your cost/benefit analysis and weighs up if it's worth it for this massive international brand campaign?

Why I can't walk into SportsDirect and buy a Sampdoria shirt? Because there's not a global market big enough outside of Genoa to warrant some kind of big international advertising or merchandise push, If I really want one, guess what, I can buy it from the online Sampdoria store.

A few years in the top flight and the average soccer fan might just about manage to name us in a 49 team Premier League quiz. Claret and Blue marketing specks well and truly on re: our global appeal.
Do you just want to argue with everyone?

If I had the time I would offer you the analysis, analytics and planning, I’d make you a huge business salad too as you’d obviously benefit from one. Perhaps you’d like to meet up and measure who has a bigger one too or is there another way you’d like to prove you’re right.

I’m pretty sure I’ve eaten enough business salad at the business Buffett to offer an opinion, suggest a new direction and identify underlying concerns within a business.



Also you can buy a Sampdoria shirt in Sports Direct.

I suppose if you‘re arguing with us it gives your family a day off.

CombatClaret
Posts: 2939
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1350 times
Has Liked: 646 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:11 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:01 pm
Do you just want to argue with everyone?
Not at all, I just object to fans moaning about the club with this argument:
(For example our lack of global marketing)

"I've no idea how it could be done and I can't describe it in any great detail except with a few anecdotal phrases... but it's outrageous the club isn't doing it"

CombatClaret
Posts: 2939
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1350 times
Has Liked: 646 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:12 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:01 pm
Also you can buy a Sampdoria shirt in Sports Direct.
Mike needs to have a world with the online retail dept


samp.jpg
samp.jpg (39.79 KiB) Viewed 1563 times

Rileybobs
Posts: 6900
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm
Been Liked: 2941 times
Has Liked: 649 times
Location: Leeds

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:25 pm

WestMidsClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:45 pm
How much is our bench worth £35m? Yes a Burnley FC bench is worth around £35m. And the majority of that £35m doesn't get a game That's a lot of money spunked no matter which way you look at it.
I would say that our strongest bench is;

Hart
Lowton
Gibson
Hendrick
Lennon
Brady
Rodriguez

The majority of them do get a game. Gibson and Vydra aside pretty much all of our squad are rotated or used from the bench throughout the season. Vydra has proven to be a poor signing, but Gibson’s lack of game time was due to an unfortunate injury and the fact that he’s competing with two very experienced PL centre backs who rarely miss a game due to injury.

Now we could sign weaker backup players for less money however I guarantee that the same people would criticise this approach.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

Danieljwaterhouse
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:55 pm
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:31 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:11 pm
Not at all, I just object to fans moaning about the club with this argument:
(For example our lack of global marketing)

"I've no idea how it could be done and I can't describe it in any great detail except with a few anecdotal phrases... but it's outrageous the club isn't doing it"
It’s a local club for local people it seems.

Do you want me to appease you and give validity to my point of discussion complete a full strategic and operational plan for BFC expansion into domestic and international markets? I don’t have the time, nor am I getting paid to do so.

It doesn’t make my point any less valid, it doesn’t mean I don’t know diddly squat (do your own research here) and it doesn’t mean you get to be a keyboard warrior and belittle people because you don’t agree.

Just say voice your opinion, disagree and move on. Feel free to use the ‘foe’ function.

Danieljwaterhouse
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:55 pm
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:31 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:12 pm
Mike needs to have a world with the online retail dept



samp.jpg
I’d suggest Mike doesn’t have a clue what’s in his shops or stockrooms.

Rileybobs
Posts: 6900
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm
Been Liked: 2941 times
Has Liked: 649 times
Location: Leeds

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:36 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:31 pm
It’s a local club for local people it seems.

Do you want me to appease you and give validity to my point of discussion complete a full strategic and operational plan for BFC expansion into domestic and international markets? I don’t have the time, nor am I getting paid to do so.

It doesn’t make my point any less valid, it doesn’t mean I don’t know diddly squat (do your own research here) and it doesn’t mean you get to be a keyboard warrior and belittle people because you don’t agree.

Just say voice your opinion, disagree and move on. Feel free to use the ‘foe’ function.
I do wonder what we have to gain by attempting to expand into international markets. We are offering the same product as hundreds of other ‘clubs’ and an inferior one to many. What is unique about Burnley, why would there be any significant interest in our club internationally?
This user liked this post: CombatClaret

CombatClaret
Posts: 2939
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1350 times
Has Liked: 646 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:44 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:36 pm
I do wonder what we have to gain by attempting to expand into international markets. We are offering the same product as hundreds of other ‘clubs’ and an inferior one to many. What is unique about Burnley, why would there be any significant interest in our club internationally?
Several people on this thread have bemoaned the club's for the lack of brand development internationally, all I'm looking for is a how and more importantly a why (the world would want brand Burnely in their lives)?
But to ask for details or suggest folks at the club with a better understanding have already looked into it but deemed it not viable, that makes me a d1ck...
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

levraiclaret
Posts: 1354
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:40 am
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 993 times
Location: Leicestershire
Contact:

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by levraiclaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:52 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:44 pm
Several people on this thread have bemoaned the club's for the lack of brand development internationally, all I'm looking for is a how and more importantly a why (the world would want brand Burnely in their lives)?
But to ask for details or suggest folks at the club with a better understanding have already looked into it but deemed it not viable, that makes me a d1ck...
You are not but maybe djw the businessman qualifies.

BOYSIE31
Posts: 1609
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:46 pm
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:16 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:29 pm
I've always thought, look at where Dyche got us on a shoestring, imagine what he could do with a decent budget?
Shoestring ??? Have a look back how much he spent and then have another look how many in the last 3 years are starters

ClaretAndJew
Posts: 6691
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 461 times
Location: Earth

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:18 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:16 pm
Shoestring ??? Have a look back how much he spent and then have another look how many in the last 3 years are starters
Im talking about his initial success. He promoted us with a squad that was favourites for relegation into League 1.

jrgbfc
Posts: 4078
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:46 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:18 pm
Im talking about his initial success. He promoted us with a squad that was favourites for relegation into League 1.
Let's be fair the first promotion we had some very good players. Trippier, Ings, Shackell and Heaton would have got in any team in that league. Throw in the likes of Marney, Ben Mee, Duff and Arfield who were all excellent players at that level. Not saying it wasn't a great achievement, but he didn't exactly get a team of no hopers promoted!
This user liked this post: snapcrackleandpop

BOYSIE31
Posts: 1609
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:46 pm
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:56 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:18 pm
Im talking about his initial success. He promoted us with a squad that was favourites for relegation into League 1.
I agree done superb for us but things come to an end eventually and we have gone very stale and seem to have no idea what to do going forward and even less with recruitment.

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18105
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6924 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:27 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 pm
Can I see your cost/benefit analysis and weighs up if it's worth it for this massive international brand campaign?

Why I can't walk into SportsDirect and buy a Sampdoria shirt? Because there's not a global market big enough outside of Genoa to warrant some kind of big international advertising or merchandise push, If I really want one, guess what, I can buy it from the online Sampdoria store.

A few years in the top flight and the average soccer fan might just about manage to name us in a 49 team Premier League quiz. Claret and Blue marketing specks well and truly on re: our global appeal.
Everybody bought a nokia until the iPhone came out.
This user liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18105
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6924 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:37 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:36 pm
I do wonder what we have to gain by attempting to expand into international markets. We are offering the same product as hundreds of other ‘clubs’ and an inferior one to many. What is unique about Burnley, why would there be any significant interest in our club internationally?
Let's look at the example I know. Inter Milan. (Along with lads from Monchengladbach and Red Star Belgrade).

Why do they love burnley? Because we are underdogs. From a small industrial town. Outpunching and beating many city clubs. Including memorable against the odds wins against the reigning champions many times.

They already support some of the most successful and the biggest clubs in their own country. So what's the point in them following man utd or liverpool? In fact they are arguably in some cases rivals with those clubs. They want something different.

Then let's compare us to similar sized albeit wealthier clubs in our league from recent years. Leicester. Southampton. Swansea. Middlesbrough. They're all clubs with shiny new identical stadiums on industrial estates with no soul. We are different (as are Sheffield's utd and norwich).

Then location. We are less than an hour from 3 international airports. Close to amazing scenery and history. With our old fashioned stadium. We are accessible. We are in a beautiful part of the country. And it's cheap!!!

Worse case they can go and watch united, city, liverpool, everton... but then come and watch us the day before when we play Saturday they play Sunday. We can give them a more personal experience. The lads I know from Germany and Italy had personal ground tours. Not because it's on offer. But because our club were happy to see people coming from overseas to see our club. And WANTED to show them around. Then they went to where we train. And watched us train. With no problems. It's unlikely to get that personal touch anywhere else.

Finally there is the Helmand example. Dont personally know any of them. But the club hosted an event for over 400 of them after having them at the game that day.

We arent united, liverpool or chelsea. But not should we aim to be. Theres a market there for Burnley.
This user liked this post: HunterST_BFC

claretspice
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:13 am
Been Liked: 1987 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by claretspice » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:46 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:17 pm
You post as though the team are cut adrift at the bottom of the league. rather than with a reasonable buffer above the trap door when you talk about maintaining the good times.

Clubs who go down, having been consistently battling to maintain their premier league status usually have a smaller base, as people, understandably become disillusioned with it, whilst the reality is that it's sometimes difficult to appreciate this is as good as it gets. It's nothing to do with stewardship - it's just reality.

As for building a legacy? We've a training ground that sets us up for the next 20 years, we've got community schemes that have embedded the club deeper into the community and the Youth Setup has been elevated to Cat 2 and will hopefully start to produce players. Looks like a legacy to me.
With respect, I dont think I do sound like the team are cut adrift at the bottom. I've not made any particular comment on the strength of the team currently. I'm not sure its helpful to misconstrue criticism of particular PR and a particular part of the club's strategy into a wider critique. The post you quoted actually made reference to the infrastructure improvements the club has made. They are real and the examples you cite are valid. Equally the size of the achievement in building this squad is easily underestimated - i don't think it will be relegated and I've said many times that its precisely because our recruitment in putting this squad together was so good that we find it difficult to improve it or refresh it now.

But - the point made at the outset stands regardless of that. The impression given by Garlick and Dyche's comments at the start of this window, together our record in the market in the last 18 months, gives a distinctly negative message to supporters. It smacks of a club merely existing on the pitch rather than looking to meet the challenge head on. You can educate supporters as to the fact of the challenge whilst reassuring them that you intend to meet it.

If you don't do the second bit - and we aren't- and the football on the pitch becomes functional, and the team itself begins to look like it's coming to the end, you've got a bad cocktail. So for both PR and football reasons I think we need to indicate a rather more proactive intent to maintaining the good times. Otherwise their early end will become a self fulfilling prophecy.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret Danieljwaterhouse

Vegas Claret
Posts: 15443
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 5029 times
Has Liked: 2310 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:51 pm

as regarding revenue streams etc hopefully the new CEO has got more about him to explore these areas. I don't have enough knowledge of the people the club employ in terms of qualificatory history but I would hope that we are going for the best available within the budget rather than the cheapest option - not that there is an indication of that I should add. I would be interested to know how much our revenue streams have developed over the last few years

Rileybobs
Posts: 6900
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm
Been Liked: 2941 times
Has Liked: 649 times
Location: Leeds

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:56 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:37 pm
Let's look at the example I know. Inter Milan. (Along with lads from Monchengladbach and Red Star Belgrade).

Why do they love burnley? Because we are underdogs. From a small industrial town. Outpunching and beating many city clubs. Including memorable against the odds wins against the reigning champions many times.

They already support some of the most successful and the biggest clubs in their own country. So what's the point in them following man utd or liverpool? In fact they are arguably in some cases rivals with those clubs. They want something different.

Then let's compare us to similar sized albeit wealthier clubs in our league from recent years. Leicester. Southampton. Swansea. Middlesbrough. They're all clubs with shiny new identical stadiums on industrial estates with no soul. We are different (as are Sheffield's utd and norwich).

Then location. We are less than an hour from 3 international airports. Close to amazing scenery and history. With our old fashioned stadium. We are accessible. We are in a beautiful part of the country. And it's cheap!!!

Worse case they can go and watch united, city, liverpool, everton... but then come and watch us the day before when we play Saturday they play Sunday. We can give them a more personal experience. The lads I know from Germany and Italy had personal ground tours. Not because it's on offer. But because our club were happy to see people coming from overseas to see our club. And WANTED to show them around. Then they went to where we train. And watched us train. With no problems. It's unlikely to get that personal touch anywhere else.

Finally there is the Helmand example. Dont personally know any of them. But the club hosted an event for over 400 of them after having them at the game that day.

We arent united, liverpool or chelsea. But not should we aim to be. Theres a market there for Burnley.
But with your example I’m presuming that you met these people, became friendly with them and introduced them to Burnley? So do they make trips over to meet up with you, go to the game, go out boozing etc? Because that’s a little different than trying to sell the brand of Burnley FC across the world. Unless we employed thousands of ambassadors like yourself to go around the world making friends with people and inviting them to games.
This user liked this post: CombatClaret

CombatClaret
Posts: 2939
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1350 times
Has Liked: 646 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:03 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:37 pm
Let's look at the example I know. Inter Milan. (Along with lads from Monchengladbach and Red Star Belgrade).

Why do they love burnley? Because we are underdogs. From a small industrial town. Outpunching and beating many city clubs. Including memorable against the odds wins against the reigning champions many times.

They already support some of the most successful and the biggest clubs in their own country. So what's the point in them following man utd or liverpool? In fact they are arguably in some cases rivals with those clubs. They want something different.

Then let's compare us to similar sized albeit wealthier clubs in our league from recent years. Leicester. Southampton. Swansea. Middlesbrough. They're all clubs with shiny new identical stadiums on industrial estates with no soul. We are different (as are Sheffield's utd and norwich).

Then location. We are less than an hour from 3 international airports. Close to amazing scenery and history. With our old fashioned stadium. We are accessible. We are in a beautiful part of the country. And it's cheap!!!

Worse case they can go and watch united, city, liverpool, everton... but then come and watch us the day before when we play Saturday they play Sunday. We can give them a more personal experience. The lads I know from Germany and Italy had personal ground tours. Not because it's on offer. But because our club were happy to see people coming from overseas to see our club. And WANTED to show them around. Then they went to where we train. And watched us train. With no problems. It's unlikely to get that personal touch anywhere else.

Finally there is the Helmand example. Dont personally know any of them. But the club hosted an event for over 400 of them after having them at the game that day.

We arent united, liverpool or chelsea. But not should we aim to be. Theres a market there for Burnley.
I love anecdotal evidence, it's the best kind. Your mates probably got a free personal ground tour because it's so rare anyone comes and give a sh1t. Arsenal have ground tours you can book and pay for because there is DEMAND, how does Burnely create demand, that's the problem not how close we are to an airport.

What you've described is a holiday for a handful of people you know and a fictional Burnley FC tourism brochure. How is the club meant to turn that into a profit making revenue stream? What is this "Market" of which you speak? How does the club exploit it, through international advertising? Online or in magazines? Should we run package tours?

If it was so obvious why has no one at the club done a single thing like it? We are obviously are just missing you, (to use your Nokia/iPhone example) our Steve Jobs to turn us into the worlds number one boutique football destination.

Give me strength.

CombatClaret
Posts: 2939
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1350 times
Has Liked: 646 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:56 pm
But with your example I’m presuming that you met these people, became friendly with them and introduced them to Burnley? So do they make trips over to meet up with you, go to the game, go out boozing etc? Because that’s a little different than trying to sell the brand of Burnley FC across the world. Unless we employed thousands of ambassadors like yourself to go around the world making friends with people and inviting them to games.
Don't ask the actual tough logistical questions. Just stand there shouting 'Oh Burn-eh-ley, is Won-Der-Ful' and If the club can't turn that into a global "market" then they're clearly idiots.

Danieljwaterhouse
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:55 pm
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:08 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06 pm
Don't ask the actual tough logistical questions. Just stand there shouting 'Oh Burn-eh-ley, is Won-Der-Ful' and If the club can't turn that into a global "market" then they're clearly idiots.
Still going kid? Jesus you’ve got some staying power!
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

CombatClaret
Posts: 2939
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1350 times
Has Liked: 646 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:12 pm

I'm off to New York in May, got tickets to see the Yankees

Somewhere there's a forum for the Brooklyn Cyclones where folk are saying 'Why can't the club create an international market? We've got so many unique attributes'

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18105
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6924 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:19 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:56 pm
But with your example I’m presuming that you met these people, became friendly with them and introduced them to Burnley? So do they make trips over to meet up with you, go to the game, go out boozing etc? Because that’s a little different than trying to sell the brand of Burnley FC across the world. Unless we employed thousands of ambassadors like yourself to go around the world making friends with people and inviting them to games.
Inter lads I met at a burnley game. They came over as tourists. Brentford. And fell in love with Burnley and our fans. And our story.

Monchengladbach i was the tourist. In the away end at Frankfurt. Similar story. In reverse. Gave them a burnley shirt at the game.

Belgrade. Met them through a mutual friend from Montenegro who came to many burnley games himself and told them the story.

So all word of mouth from one friendship. All those lads from those groups are now friends too.

If one person can spread the word (as is the case in the hellmond example) then why cant one club?

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18105
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6924 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:21 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:12 pm
I'm off to New York in May, got tickets to see the Yankees

Somewhere there's a forum for the Brooklyn Cyclones where folk are saying 'Why can't the club create an international market? We've got so many unique attributes'
Im off to the san siro this weekend. Im going to take them all a man utd shirt this time.

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18105
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6924 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:27 pm

Oh and forgot to add. 6 (yes i know its only bloody 6) lads we met at aberdeen are now avid clarets too and came down for the united game. Their second this year. Thats 6 new fans from one chance meeting between like minded fans. To add to the many from italy, germany, seebia, montenegro mentioned above.

If a small group of individuals can get a bit of interest im sure the club can if they want to.

After the palace game there was a big groupnof lads there from vegas who had come over with their football coach from france. Who had followed burnley for some time. He introduced burnley to them. And now theyre coming here.

CombatClaret
Posts: 2939
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1350 times
Has Liked: 646 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:29 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:19 pm
Inter lads I met at a burnley game. They came over as tourists. Brentford. And fell in love with Burnley and our fans. And our story.

Monchengladbach i was the tourist. In the away end at Frankfurt. Similar story. In reverse. Gave them a burnley shirt at the game.

Belgrade. Met them through a mutual friend from Montenegro who came to many burnley games himself amd told him the story.

So all word of mouth from one friendship. All those lads from those groups are now friends too.

If one person can spread the word (as is the case in the hellmond example) then why cant one club?
So there we have it, world of mouth advertising, the most expensive and hard to replicate form of advertising possible. To get a handful of people to visit the club a die hard fan had to interact with them on a one to one level, even giving out free shirts.

And because you were able to do that, somehow the club is meant to replicate it at mass market scale to which we can create a profit making enterprise...
Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:56 pm
That’s a little different than trying to sell the brand of Burnley FC across the world. Unless we employed thousands of ambassadors like yourself to go around the world making friends with people and inviting them to games.
Yes Rileybobs, that's how we need to do it apparently and the club are idiots for not thinking of it sooner. #cometoburnley

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18105
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6924 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:35 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:29 pm
So there we have it, world of mouth advertising, the most expensive and hard to replicate form of advertising possible. To get a handful of people to visit the club a die hard fan had to interact with them on a one to one level, even giving out free shirts.

And because you were able to do that, somehow the club is meant to replicate it at mass market scale to which we can create a profit making enterprise...



Yes Rileybobs, that's how we need to do it apparently and the club are idiots for not thinking of it sooner. #cometoburnley
Goodnight combat. Try not to dream big. Sweet dreams.
This user liked this post: WestMidsClaret

Vegas Claret
Posts: 15443
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 5029 times
Has Liked: 2310 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:52 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:25 pm
I would say that our strongest bench is;

Hart
Lowton
Gibson
Hendrick
Lennon
Brady
Rodriguez

The majority of them do get a game. Gibson and Vydra aside pretty much all of our squad are rotated or used from the bench throughout the season. Vydra has proven to be a poor signing, but Gibson’s lack of game time was due to an unfortunate injury and the fact that he’s competing with two very experienced PL centre backs who rarely miss a game due to injury.

Now we could sign weaker backup players for less money however I guarantee that the same people would criticise this approach.
'Therein lies a big problem, to progress we need to sign players that make some of our current starters the back up players. Zero point in signing back up players for our first 11, that's a backwards step in every which way.
These 2 users liked this post: WestMidsClaret cricketfieldclarets

Rileybobs
Posts: 6900
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm
Been Liked: 2941 times
Has Liked: 649 times
Location: Leeds

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:00 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:52 pm
'Therein lies a big problem, to progress we need to sign players that make some of our current starters the back up players. Zero point in signing back up players for our first 11, that's a backwards step in every which way.
I agree. Although it’s often sensible to sign a back up player, it’s unreasonable and unrealistic to think that every signing should be displacing one of our regular starters. The point I was making was that criticising the club for having valuable players on the bench isn’t really valid as at this level we really ought to have two players of a similar level for each position.

Jakubclaret
Posts: 2771
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:00 pm
I agree. Although it’s often sensible to sign a back up player, it’s unreasonable and unrealistic to think that every signing should be displacing one of our regular starters. The point I was making was that criticising the club for having valuable players on the bench isn’t really valid as at this level we really ought to have two players of a similar level for each position.
No but by that same token it’s not unreasonable nor unrealistic to be expecting any incoming signings to be at the least challenging for a starting berth, how else can you promote any sort of competitiveness within the squad.
This user liked this post: WestMidsClaret

Rileybobs
Posts: 6900
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm
Been Liked: 2941 times
Has Liked: 649 times
Location: Leeds

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:44 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 pm
No but by that same token it’s not unreasonable nor unrealistic to be expecting any incoming signings to be at the least challenging for a starting berth, how else can you promote any sort of competitiveness within the squad.
Totally agree. We need a couple of additions who are capable of stepping into the first 11 although I suspect we’ll wait until summer before doing most of our business.

Jakubclaret
Posts: 2771
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:55 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:44 pm
Totally agree. We need a couple of additions who are capable of stepping into the first 11 although I suspect we’ll wait until summer before doing most of our business.
Either ways a risky strategy to be honest, damned if you do or damned if you don’t, retaining the nucleus if championship bound is reassured with wood & vydra ect, cutting the mustard.

Vegas Claret
Posts: 15443
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 5029 times
Has Liked: 2310 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:52 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:55 pm
Either ways a risky strategy to be honest, damned if you do or damned if you don’t, retaining the nucleus if championship bound is reassured with wood & vydra ect, cutting the mustard.
zero chance Wood will stay if we go down, I would expect Sheff Utd, Palace, Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham etc to be interested in him. I suspect if we drop we will do well to keep Pope, Taylor, McNeil and Wood

jojomk1
Posts: 1255
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:20 am
Been Liked: 233 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:02 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:52 am
zero chance Wood will stay if we go down, I would expect Sheff Utd, Palace, Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham etc to be interested in him. I suspect if we drop we will do well to keep Pope, Taylor, McNeil and Wood
Add to that Tarks and Mee

Vegas Claret
Posts: 15443
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 5029 times
Has Liked: 2310 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:28 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:02 am
Add to that Tarks and Mee
I forgot about them, been a long day :lol:

Jakubclaret
Posts: 2771
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:37 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:52 am
zero chance Wood will stay if we go down, I would expect Sheff Utd, Palace, Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham etc to be interested in him. I suspect if we drop we will do well to keep Pope, Taylor, McNeil and Wood
Maybe, it's believable a odd 1 or 2 would get poached or a odd 1 or 2 would want to leave, it'd be down to the board's willingness to sell & the players willingness to stay, in my view the club is geared up to automatically bounce back in the event of relegation, its not unheard of when this happens with other clubs you usually get the next season with the same set of mainstays as a token of loyalty even more so if they are close knit happy bunch.

Father Jack
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:52 pm
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 1 time
Location: Leyland

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Father Jack » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:07 am

I think Dyche’s latest comments on Mike Rigg and transfers from the Burnley Express (Chris Boden) are pretty clear on why he doesn’t think we’ll sign players this window - 5/6 targets?! Described elsewhere as a postage stamp.



We’re looking for value on players, and if we can find that, we spend it, if we don’t, we leave it.”

Rigg’s task is to find the players who will improve Burnley, who want to come to the club, whose clubs are willing to sell, and whose fee and wages Burnley can afford.

And Dyche outlines that is proving harder than he maybe imagined: “What he’s learned is that you can have a list as long as your body - every scout, every recruiting department has a list as long as your arms, but you have to have the finance to back the lists.

“If there’s no finance to back the lists, there’s no point having the lists.

“The list then has to get crunched down and crunched down, until it’s a piece of paper with five or six names on it, then you’re going into the market for five or six names.


“How do you sign them? The other club says no, then you have to pay this, that and the other, then it goes back to finance.

“It’s a different model for him, and I think he’s learned that, that’s for sure, and a much different challenge than he’s had, certainly at places like Fulham, where it was slightly more open house financially.

“So he’s adapting to that and realising how tough it is to align and define the players that are needed, and then take it to the point of actually them signing.”

Premier League clubs are able to stockpile players, and even those not playing regularly can command astronomical fees, as Dyche noted: “I think the numbers at some clubs are unbelievable now, even the young players, they tend to hold onto them.

“They are so financially powerful now that even when you go for one of those young players, the fees they ask for are through the roof.

“They don’t need the money - if you’re a billionaire with 50 properties, you don’t need to sell any of them, so someone has to pay you a fortune to get them.

“It’s the same difference, a billionaire with a football club with loads of players - they might have a young player not in the team at the minute, but what’s £5/6/7m to them? It’s not worth it.

“So they say, ‘I want £20m.’ You say, ‘how can you ask for £20m?’ - because they can!

“The market has been blown out of the window for the last five years really, there is no reality to it, it’s just a fact, it’s not an opinion.”

And the bargain buys lower down the leagues, especially in the Championship, are getting harder to come by, despite clubs in that division skating a fine line around FFP: “It’s a strange thing in the Championship, there are 14 or so clubs really on the knife edge of financial fair play, but it’s the same argument, they just hold onto their players, they ask for astronomical fees, they don’t want to sell, until they get into a situation where almost the League say ‘we’re going to hit you’, and they have to sell.

“Even they tend to hold on.”

A case in point was when Burnley went in for Birmingham striker Che Adams last January, with the Blues unable to replace him due to a transfer embargo, and subsequently holding onto the player until the summer, when they received around £14m from Southampton.

Dyche added: “We saw that with Birmingham last year, waiting for a player until the end of the season, taking the points deduction and staying up, and getting more for the player.

“Even they have changed their thinking. The financial side of it is difficult, we’re a club who, often, don’t want to put the finances in that are always required, but we find a way, and we continue to do that.”

Dyche has managed to piece together over time what he feels is now his most competitive squad, and while Burnley are now struggling to add to that in this window, he doesn’t intend to lose any more senior players after Danny Drinkwater returned to parent club Chelsea after an unsuccessful loan spell: “We want a competitive squad - we managed to get one together after five years of trying, and there’s still more we can do, but it is a competitive in-house squad, so therefore we don’t want to start losing players and taking that away after working so hard to get there.

“But there still is a reality of the club, if the number hits a number, the chairman will probably want to sell the player, that’s just the way it has been through all my time here.

“The difference now is, as we’ve got stronger financially, we’re not under pressure to bring it in, so we can play that game that others play a little more.

“If someone comes in for our players, then it’s fair to say we don’t have to sell unless it gets to a level where it’s deemed appropriate.”

Last January, the club decided to cash in on Sam Vokes, who, after almost seven years’ service, went to Stoke for £10m, 40 times what Burnley paid - the same with Tom Heaton, who joined Aston Villa for £8m after six seasons, having signed on a free: "Now and again there is the perfect deal that makes to everyone.

"Sam had been a brilliant servant to us, he had done fantastically well, it was a very good fee at the time for that player all things being considered.

"We got Crouchy who did brilliant for us coming in this way, so that one worked for everyone, right for the players and right for the clubs at the time.

"Not many of those deals happen.

"It is unlikely that anything goes out of the building but it is not impossible.

"The club has a model and if a number hits a certain number then often the club say yes, but it is unlikely that anyone will go out of the building in terms of recognised first team players."

joey13
Posts: 4594
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:39 pm
Been Liked: 1068 times
Has Liked: 848 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by joey13 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:15 am

Operation lower expectations in full swing
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

Murger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:55 pm
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 502 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Murger » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:37 am

Maybe he should change his criteria for players. Like instead of signing Stoke rejects, he actually signs players that can improve the starting lineup.

jojomk1
Posts: 1255
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:20 am
Been Liked: 233 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:44 am

"Crouchy did brilliant for us"

6 sub appearances and no goals - it worked well for everyone ?

Chester Perry
Posts: 8477
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:06 am
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 356 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:39 pm

There are some valid points on here about expanding the fan base overseas, that small working class town whose club have a long history and tradition fighting with the big boys despite having no riches is a powerful message - I have occasionally argued on this board that we could be the Green Bay of the Premier League. As for CFC's suggestion - football tourism is a growing thing (while it may not necessarily bring riches to the club the economic benefit to the area is immense - Deloitte do an annual report on this (see Magic Money Tree Thread) - both Liverpool and Brighton have commissioned their own in recent years with Brighton reckoning they are bringing £220m a year into the local economy - Liverpool reckon their Champions League games alone brought £440m+ into the local economy in the 2017/18 season

and then there is this
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rest-owner
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Steddyman
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:45 pm
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 217 times

Re: The chairman’s comments on the transfer situation

Post by Steddyman » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:00 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:36 pm
I do wonder what we have to gain by attempting to expand into international markets. We are offering the same product as hundreds of other ‘clubs’ and an inferior one to many. What is unique about Burnley, why would there be any significant interest in our club internationally?
Is that you again Mike?

Post Reply