Thanks to those who didn't go

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Re: Thanks to those who didn't go

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:06 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:18 pm
For all those fans fed up of watching Burnley you might want to check out the quality of football they have to put up with down the road

https://twitter.com/ldnlongside/status/ ... 38432?s=19
👍😎👍🤣🤣🤣🤣

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:10 pm

I enjoyed a cracking walk over the tops between Cornholme an Hebden Bridge, with a friend who was visiting home, and my dog Rosie, taking in the New Delight at Jack Bridge, and then the White Lion at Heptonstall(where we checked the score on the BBC app and then watched the goals), before heading down the hill to the Fox & Goose before catching the bus home.
My friend, who was a ST holder until she moved to Coventry, and I decided that this was a better way to spend our afternoon, and overall I think we made the right choice.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:13 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:10 pm
I enjoyed a cracking walk over the tops between Cornholme an Hebden Bridge, with a friend who was visiting home, and my dog Rosie, taking in the New Delight at Jack Bridge, and then the White Lion at Heptonstall(where we checked the score on the BBC app and then watched the goals), before heading down the hill to the Fox & Goose before catching the bus home.
My friend, who was a ST holder until she moved to Coventry, and I decided that this was a better way to spend our afternoon, and overall I think we made the right choice.
Depends how much you like football I guess. I hate to miss home games, only holidays, illness or weddings get in the way. I could have a walk and a drink any other day.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:19 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:13 pm
Depends how much you like football I guess. I hate to miss home games, only holidays, illness or weddings get in the way. I could have a walk and a drink any other day.
Exactly.... 👍😎👍

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:47 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:13 pm
We’re not seeing much football at the Turf, these days.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:52 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:47 pm
We’re not seeing much football at the Turf, these days.
As a burnley fan you must have missed a lot of seasons if it's good, exciting football you will only watch

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:58 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:52 pm
As a burnley fan you must have missed a lot of seasons if it's good, exciting football you will only watch
I find it easier to accept crappy football when there is an excuse for it. In the past we were mainly broke and that could justify some of the turgid crap we had to endure. On to of that it was much cheaper to attend and the atmosphere and camaraderie were far better. Now it costs a fortune to get on, it’s largely sterile atmosphere-wise, and, in spite of being funded in a way we could only have dreamed of back in the ‘80s and ‘90s, far too often we are served up drab and spiritless football that would shame even Steve Cotterill.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:16 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:58 pm
I find it easier to accept crappy football when there is an excuse for it. In the past we were mainly broke and that could justify some of the turgid crap we had to endure. On to of that it was much cheaper to attend and the atmosphere and camaraderie were far better. Now it costs a fortune to get on, it’s largely sterile atmosphere-wise, and, in spite of being funded in a way we could only have dreamed of back in the ‘80s and ‘90s, far too often we are served up drab and spiritless football that would shame even Steve Cotterill.
I don't think you could use cost as an excuse yesterday
I love seeing burnley in the top division, something I didn't think my children or grandchildren would ever see, fortunately they can, and do. I will put up with any style of football which keeps us there, because realistically we will be out of it at some stage.
I agree we need investment in the team, and I will be as critical of the board as others should it not happen. But either way I'll still be there next season and hopefully that won't change.
It's only a personal opinion, but if you support a club, you support through good times, and more importantly through bad times.
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

Targetman
Been Liked: 502 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:58 pm
I don't mean this to be sarcastic in any way but when things Burnley/Turf Moor related seem to upset or anger you so much wouldn't it be better to cut your ties completely.

If you did then surely it would prevent your current bitterness towards the club from seemingly upsetting you so much. Give it say 5 years without concerning yourself with anything claret, stop reading about the club, stop watching any live games or tv highlights of Burnley.

After the 5 years were up you would know then whether you even cared about Burnley FC any more.

It just seems strange to me that you feel it necessary to have to justify not going to Turf Moor. Just don't go any more, no need really to come on the message board to tell people you won't be going, do your own thing and go about it quietly. Seems straightforward to me but I realise everyone doesn't think the same.

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:26 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:16 pm
I don't think you could use cost as an excuse yesterday
I love seeing burnley in the top division, something I didn't think my children or grandchildren would ever see, fortunately they can, and do. I will put up with any style of football which keeps us there, because realistically we will be out of it at some stage.
I agree we need investment in the team, and I will be as critical of the board as others should it not happen. But either way I'll still be there next season and hopefully that won't change.
It's only a personal opinion, but if you support a club, you support through good times, and more importantly through bad times.
Cost wasn’t my beef yeasterday, as the Club priced fairly. My beef was bourne of apathy at the general quality of the football on show; added to the usual **** poor approach to Cup games against lower League opposition.
As for putting up with the style because we’ll be out of it one day anyway, I can’t help but feel you’ve got that arse backwards. If we’re gonna get relegated eventually anyway, why not try to have a go at developing our game? Yeah, we’ll go down eventually, but why does it have to be like a death of a thousand cuts?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:32 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:26 pm
Cost wasn’t my beef yeasterday, as the Club priced fairly. My beef was bourne of apathy at the general quality of the football on show; added to the usual **** poor approach to Cup games against lower League opposition.
As for putting up with the style because we’ll be out of it one day anyway, I can’t help but feel you’ve got that arse backwards. If we’re gonna get relegated eventually anyway, why not try to have a go at developing our game? Yeah, we’ll go down eventually, but why does it have to be like a death of a thousand cuts?
If we did it any other way we'd be out of it already

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:54 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:32 pm
If we did it any other way we'd be out of it already
If we’d have started that way, yes. What we haven’t really done(though I’ll concede that we’ve half-heartedly tried) is tried to develop our game. That ended with the long term injury to Defour.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:56 pm

I understand Lord Beamish is saying he has a life outside of football, which is great. Some like Grumps live and breath it which is great (each to their own)

Grumps is saying, you don’t need to tell everyone why you didn’t go on, nobody cares.

In summary, probably shouldn’t have started this topic then

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:08 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:26 pm
Because the manager obviously feels that the best way of staying up is to play the way he does.
If he thought that trying to develop our football was the best way that’s what he would do.
Look what happened to Stoke as soon as they moved away from the style of play they were used to. Their team was full of players who were bought because their attributes suited the style of play - does not matter what you do in training they aren’t going to start playing like Barca just because you change a few things in training and bring in the odd ex Barca player like Bojan. What happened at Stoke was they would play the odd great game where Bojan would play a blinder and all the pundits would start lauding Mark Hughes for “developing” their style of play when what was really happening was that they were losing more and more games.
Whether this would happen with us I don’t know. But Dyche obviously thinks it would.
I would rather see us play nice football too - I don’t know any supporters who wouldn’t but at the moment I would rather stay up and I don’t really care how. If we started kicking the living sh-ite out of opposition teams and became the new Wimbledon I would not care a jot if it kept us up....why bother about what other people think ? They’ll still show the dark satanic mills and say that we are a dirty long ball team who only score from set pieces and say that Bournemouth play the beautiful game under the next England manager - as Bournemouth sit below us in the table and have scored more set pieces than any other team in the league !!!!

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:19 pm

Targetman wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:25 pm
I don't mean this to be sarcastic in any way but when things Burnley/Turf Moor related seem to upset or anger you so much wouldn't it be better to cut your ties completely.

If you did then surely it would prevent your current bitterness towards the club from seemingly upsetting you so much. Give it say 5 years without concerning yourself with anything claret, stop reading about the club, stop watching any live games or tv highlights of Burnley.

After the 5 years were up you would know then whether you even cared about Burnley FC any more.

It just seems strange to me that you feel it necessary to have to justify not going to Turf Moor. Just don't go any more, no need really to come on the message board to tell people you won't be going, do your own thing and go about it quietly. Seems straightforward to me but I realise everyone doesn't think the same.
Purely and simply because I don’t want to. I want to get back to enjoying my time on the Turf, and my time, like yours, is precious.
Watching that first half against Aston Villa put me in mind of how I felt watching us play Portsmouth on the Turf, ten years ago; utterly exasperated that we could just not turn up for half a game, at home, against a relegation rival. It truly was Lawsian in its ineptitude, and the blame for that lies squarely at the door of Sean Dyche.

I won’t have to wait five years. Dyche won’t be here by then. Hell, he might even be gone in summer.
No, I’ll just bide my time until either Dyche changes his approach to one that’s a little less attritional, or we have a new broom at the Club who’d like to play some more entertaining football.

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:26 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:08 pm
Because the manager obviously feels that the best way of staying up is to play the way he does.
If he thought that trying to develop our football was the best way that’s what he would do.
Look what happened to Stoke as soon as they moved away from the style of play they were used to. Their team was full of players who were bought because their attributes suited the style of play - does not matter what you do in training they aren’t going to start playing like Barca just because you change a few things in training and bring in the odd ex Barca player like Bojan. What happened at Stoke was they would play the odd great game where Bojan would play a blinder and all the pundits would start lauding Mark Hughes for “developing” their style of play when what was really happening was that they were losing more and more games.
Whether this would happen with us I don’t know. But Dyche obviously thinks it would.
I would rather see us play nice football too - I don’t know any supporters who wouldn’t but at the moment I would rather stay up and I don’t really care how. If we started kicking the living sh-ite out of opposition teams and became the new Wimbledon I would not care a jot if it kept us up....why bother about what other people think ? They’ll still show the dark satanic mills and say that we are a dirty long ball team who only score from set pieces and say that Bournemouth play the beautiful game under the next England manager - as Bournemouth sit below us in the table and have scored more set pieces than any other team in the league !!!!
If dull and attritional football and tales of what will happen if we try to move away from it(Hughes led Stoke to three 9th place finishes, btw) are all we have to see us through each winter, then that’s a pretty poor outlook for us as fans.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:29 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:56 pm
I understand Lord Beamish is saying he has a life outside of football, which is great. Some like Grumps live and breath it which is great (each to their own)

Grumps is saying, you don’t need to tell everyone why you didn’t go on, nobody cares.

In summary, probably shouldn’t have started this topic then
Thanks for saying what I do, and what I think, shame you got it wrong
If doing something once a fortnight, 9 months a year is living and breathing it god help us
If you read the opening post you'll see it was said tougue in cheek. What beamish and myself are doing is having a conversation with differing views, it's what grown ups do.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Of course it is, really grown up thread

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:26 pm
If dull and attritional football and tales of what will happen if we try to move away from it(Hughes led Stoke to three 9th place finishes, btw) are all we have to see us through each winter, then that’s a pretty poor outlook for us as fans.
Not by playing good football he didn’t.
When you say “us fans” you are still talking about the minority. For most of us it’s more than just focusing on the first half of the Villa game or any other time we are playing poorly. There has been far far more good times than bad times under Dyche but even when it’s poor for me and others there is still plenty to enjoy about going on the games.
It’s only opinions and I don’t mind anyone who wants to stay away - I’d rather not know why or have to read thread after thread about why they think Dyche is ruining “their” football team. But maybe I just stop reading the messageboard !! There are also a few fans who choose to constantly whine about these things at the game - would be great if they stopped attending and come back when Pep starts managing us.

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:02 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:46 pm
Not by playing good football he didn’t.
When you say “us fans” you are still talking about the minority. For most of us it’s more than just focusing on the first half of the Villa game or any other time we are playing poorly. There has been far far more good times than bad times under Dyche but even when it’s poor for me and others there is still plenty to enjoy about going on the games.
It’s only opinions and I don’t mind anyone who wants to stay away - I’d rather not know why or have to read thread after thread about why they think Dyche is ruining “their” football team. But maybe I just stop reading the messageboard !! There are also a few fans who choose to constantly whine about these things at the game - would be great if they stopped attending and come back when Pep starts managing us.
I’m not sure if it was “great football” but it was an improvement on the Pulisball that the Stoke fans were tiring of.
The first half of Villa is important, though, because it wasn’t in isolation. It was part of a string of poor results with matching performances to suit. That was a game we could and should’ve won. It was beyond us before we even woke up and realised there was a game on. Let’s hope that swing in points isn’t to important at the business end of the season.

As for the Pep comment, I will say only that it was inexpensive.

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1460 times

Post by levraiclaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:05 pm

You're welcome.

I didn't go because I can't drive atm, but I listened on ClaretsPlayer and when the TM finishes I will watch the full match on ClaretsPlayer.

Once my vision recovers enough to drive I will resume supporting in person.