Thanks to those who didn't go

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Thanks to those who didn't go

Post by Grumps » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:52 pm

... For making it easier to park, book better seats, no moaners sat near, easy access to toilets, easy to leave after game....please can you all stay away next round :D :D
These 5 users liked this post: Bin Ont Turf Bosscat KateR k90bfc thomaspaine

Greeny
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Re: Thanks to those who didn't go

Post by Greeny » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:07 pm

You are welcome pal. Glad you enjoyed the freedom of Turf Moor.

With an attendance today of just over 8,000 including 1,600 from Peterborough, it shows how many of the rest of us have been bored to tears for a long time by hoof ball.

I think some of our players found their true level today playing well against the mighty Posh. Worryingly quite a few of today’s team will be on the pitch at Stamford Bridge next week. Let’s see if they turn up then?
These 3 users liked this post: cockneyclaret ClaretMov claretfern

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:13 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:52 pm
... For making it easier to park, book better seats, no moaners sat near, easy access to toilets, easy to leave after game....please can you all stay away next round :D :D
I don’t for one minute think you actually mean that
This user liked this post: 2510

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:17 pm

Grumps wrote:
Well if that's your criteria for attending football matches, may I suggest Padiham? ;) :lol:

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:18 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:13 pm
I don’t for one minute think you actually mean that
The smilies should give you a clue
This user liked this post: k90bfc

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:31 pm

Packed where we sit but with a lot of different faces around us than there are for league games. A lot quicker getting home though.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:33 pm

Sounds a good experience for all concerned, long may it continue ....all the way to Wembley.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:36 pm

Oh how grand , can't wait to get back to the good old days of the lower leagues and less fans. Let's bring the hooligan element back while we are at it and drop all the bans. Let's get the beehole back to terracing.
Oh how grand eh.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:37 pm

CleggHall wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:33 pm
Sounds a good experience for all concerned, long may it continue ....all the way to Wembley.
Wembley Cleggy ? Are they having play offs for the relegation spots. :D

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:39 pm

Grumps wrote:
Ha ha ha

Narked a few with that :D
This user liked this post: Leisure

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2176 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Some have stayed away, presumably to whinge, whine and snipe on here... anyway, l was in the family stand today, and I'm just glad that I'm not sat near the daft woman every week, who screams "shoooot" every time we get within thirty yards of goal!
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:47 pm

Shame the idiots abusing Joe Hart went on.

There was only about 10 in the bee hole end as well.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:50 pm

Greeny wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:07 pm

With an attendance today of just over 8,000 including 1,600 from Peterborough, it shows how many of the rest of us have been bored to tears for a long time by hoof ball.

I think some of our players found their true level today playing well against the mighty Posh. Worryingly quite a few of today’s team will be on the pitch at Stamford Bridge next week. Let’s see if they turn up then?
Bullshit, absolute bullshit.
These 7 users liked this post: fidelcastro Claret Leisure jjclaret k90bfc simonclaret Stayingup

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:58 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:50 pm
Bullshit, absolute bullshit.
For all his faults and limitations, it's posts like the one from Greeny, that have me thinking that Brian Laws was spot on, when he said in his book that the premier league had created a new breed of fan.

:(
This user liked this post: Claret

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:11 pm

Greeny wrote:

Presume that you won't be there?

Greeny

Post by Greeny » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:12 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:58 pm
For all his faults and limitations, it's posts like the one from Greeny, that have me thinking that Brian Laws was spot on, when he said in his book that the premier league had created a new breed of fan.

Been a clarets fan for 50+ years fella. Travelled up + down the country watching what will always be my team. Listening to Garlick + SD go on about our inability to compete, despite earning a few quid from the PL years and at the same time watching what is being played out by our first 11 on a regular basis, has me worried that the idiots are running the asylum.

Even when as a club we didn’t have a pot to p*ss in financially we still managed to play football. We are pulling a lot of money in these days giving the club a firm financial footing but we are incapable of adding any additional capability to the team during each transfer window.

Not on about splurging billions on Messi and risking everything. Just looking for the club management to get organised + bring in some players who can pass + move with a bit of pace. Not just lump it forward on a boringly regular basis.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:16 pm

Greeny wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:12 pm
Been a clarets fan for 50+ years fella. Travelled up + down the country watching what will always be my team. Listening to Garlick + SD go on about our inability to compete, despite earning a few quid from the PL years and at the same time watching what is being played out by our first 11 on a regular basis, has me worried that the idiots are running the asylum.

Even when as a club we didn’t have a pot to p*ss in financially we still managed to play football. We are pulling a lot of money in these days giving the club a firm financial footing but we are incapable of adding any additional capability to the team during each transfer window.

Not on about splurging billions on Messi and risking everything. Just looking for the club management to get organised + bring in some players who can pass + move with a bit of pace. Not just lump it forward on a boringly regular basis.
[/quote

Just go shopping on Saturday's pal, you'll be much happier. :D

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:16 pm

I applaud those who went on today but you simply cannot blame any Burnley fan for not wanting to attend, given the absolute dross we have served up in both cup competitions under Dyche’s tenure.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:18 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:16 pm
I applaud those who went on today but you simply cannot blame any Burnley fan for not wanting to attend, given the absolute dross we have served up in both cup competitions under Dyche’s tenure.
We always do alright in the FA cup, Lincoln aside.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:18 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Part-timers. :D

Greeny

Post by Greeny » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:30 pm

Leisure wrote:
I am as keen as anyone on here for BFC to stay/succeed in the PL. Like most things in life it’s about taking your opportunities when they come along. With the right approach we are well placed to do that. Concerned that as a club we will miss the boat by playing the “Little Old Burnley” card on a regular basis,

I have no issues with the people on here who will stick with Sean/Garlick through thick + thin. Plus I fully acknowledge and agree with “be careful what you wish for”. Despite you happy clappers things do need looking at. I am not in the SD Out category (yet) but he needs to give his head a shake and develop a Plan B on the pitch and Garlick, a Transfer Plan (A, B or C would be welcome).

Shopping worked today Leisure, thanks very much.
These 3 users liked this post: Long Time Lurker claretfern DomBFC1882

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:34 pm

There was only a few of us where I sit in JHU and it seemed to make it much colder with wind blowing straight at us.

ICL
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by ICL » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:39 pm

I was also in JHU, which was much more sparsely populated than normal. It was freezing, I blame the corner stands :D
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:48 pm

Really enjoyed it today for lots of reasons. It was great to see us pass it on the deck as we were given a lot more possession than usual obviously.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:49 pm

Greeny wrote:
I didn’t know Jack Cork posted on here

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:49 pm

Grumps wrote:
I had full WiFi today, something I have never experienced at TM before.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:51 pm

What about the home supporters that didn't watch?

It would have been easy for me to sit down, click on the play buttom of the stream and watch the full game. However, I made the conscious decision to restrict my viewing to the second half of the game only.

That's right, some people couldn't summon the passion and enthusiasm to watch the match in person. I couldn't summon the passion and enthusiasm to click on a play button.

If the club are happy to sit back and let the recruitment team get away with doing half a job then I'm happy to restrict my cup viewing to half a game.

Call it my futile little protest of one, but I felt better for it.

Some of the recent comments coming out of the club beggar belief. Everything leading up to the current window has been self depricating and defeatist tosh. A bunch of pre-emptive excuses without any practical information about what is being done to change things so we can surmount the difficulties we are faced with.

When you find yourself making the same excuses over and over again the problem isn't the situation it is you and your inability to adapt to it. Or you have employed a Technical Director with a long standing history of deliberately avoiding the need to do anything in the Winter window ( apart from loan signings and selling players to bring in cash that can be used to make operating in the Summer window easier ).

How can we expect the players to go out and fight for every inch of turf when the powers that be are happy to let the non playing staff hoist the white flag of surrender, because the Winter window is too tough and devoid of opportunities for a club like us ( which it most certainly isn't ). It could all be a very elaborate smoke screen, but given Riggs previous reluctance to work for his money in the Winter I'm inclined to think that it isn't.

When we hear key figures adopting a laisez faire attitude to the concerns of the supporters with statements that border on " if you don't like it you know where the door is " we are in real trouble. Surely the political events of recent years is enough to drive a very obvious message home, namely " you don't treat your long term supporters with contempt " whatever the current circumstances might be.

The eye of the tiger has been replaced by the beak of the cowardly chicken.

It is very clear that things are changing behind the scenes and we are starting to follow a path that diverges from our true identity. Lose that and we could easily lose everything, because in terms of all that we have achieved so far it is the vital ingredient. Money doesn't buy automatic success in the football world, character and ability do.

We might be up against it on the pitch at the moment, but I have a very unsettling feeling that our most important fight is happening elsewhere and it is being lost on our behalf. In every respect we are looking less and less Burnley with each and every passing week. The character of the club seems to be shifting away from the character of the town.

I am happy to support the club through thick and thin, to celebrate the ups and stick by it through the downs, but I find myself feeling increasingly alienated from it. All of our recent successes were built through the endeavours of proud and courageous warriors, fueled by honesty and virtue, but over the last year the club appears to have started leaning more towards the world of vapid corporate chameleons and **** talking snake oil salesmen.

I miss the underdog fighting spirit that saw us rise up to conquer the challenges before us, instead of shirking away from them and sugar coating our castrated impotence with empty platitudes.
This user liked this post: Dannyh1882

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:46 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:51 pm

It would have been easy for me to sit down, click on the play buttom of the stream and watch the full game. However, I made the conscious decision to restrict my viewing to the second half of the game only.

That's right, some people couldn't summon the passion and enthusiasm to watch the match in person. I couldn't summon the passion and enthusiasm to click on a play button.

If the club are happy to sit back and let the recruitment team get away with doing half a job then I'm happy to restrict my cup viewing to half a game.

Some of the recent comments coming out of the club beggar belief. Everything leading up to the current window has been self depricating and defeatist tosh. A bunch of pre-emptive excuses without any practical information about what is being done to change things so we can surmount the difficulties we are faced with.

When you find yourself making the same excuses over and over again the problem isn't the situation it is you and your inability to adapt to it. Or you have employed a Technical Director with a long standing history of deliberately avoiding the need to do anything in the Winter window ( apart from loan signings and selling players to bring in cash that can be used to make operating in the Summer window easier ).

How can we expect the players to go out and fight for every inch of turf when the powers that be are happy to let the non playing staff hoist the white flag of surrender, because the Winter window is too tough and devoid of opportunities for a club like us ( which it most certainly isn't ). It could all be a very elaborate smoke screen, but given Riggs previous reluctance to work for his money in the Winter I'm inclined to think that it isn't.

When we hear key figures adopting a laisez faire attitude to the concerns of the supporters with statements that border on " if you don't like it you know where the door is " we are in real trouble. Surely the political events of recent years is enough to drive a very obvious message home, namely " you don't treat your long term supporters with contempt " whatever the current circumstances might be.

It is very clear that things are changing behind the scenes and we are starting to follow a path that diverges from our true identity. Lose that and we could easily lose everything, because in terms of all that we have achieved so far it is the vital ingredient. Money doesn't buy automatic success in the football world, character and ability do.

We might be up against it on the pitch at the moment, but I have a very unsettling feeling that our most important fight is happening elsewhere and it is being lost on our behalf. In every respect we are looking less and less Burnley with each and every passing week. The character of the club seems to be shifting away from the character of the town.

I am happy to support the club through thick and thin, to celebrate the ups and stick by it through the downs, but I find myself feeling increasingly alienated from it. All of our recent successes were built through the endeavours of proud and courageous warriors, fueled by honesty and virtue, but over the last year the club appears to have started leaning more towards the world of vapid corporate chameleons and **** talking snake oil salesmen.

I miss the underdog fighting spirit that saw us rise up to conquer the challenges before us, instead of shirking away from them and sugar coating our castrated impotence with empty platitudes.
Worryingly I find myself agreeing with some of the sentiments of this post.
I didn't see the Bentley tweet, but from what I've heard he needs educating what he should, and shouldn't tweet, his Andre grey one comes to mind
I hope, with nearly 60 years of watching behind me, iam right when I think we will actually sign some players this month, otherwise I might be agreeing with even more of the post.
This user liked this post: Dannyh1882

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 pm

Great post Grumps flushed out lots of non Clarets.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:56 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Really? Suupport your club!

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:00 pm

Long Time Lurker - If the club are happy to sit back and let the recruitment team get away with doing half a job then I'm happy to restrict my cup viewing to half a game.

Good for you! I'll bet that the club are really gutted that you only watched half the game.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:09 pm

main reason for lack of crowd is simply because its become a rancid, pointless competition. ruined by clubs constantly having to sling in the lesser players to keep their teams strong for league competition.
The magic of the cup is a thing from maybe 30 years ago.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:17 pm

I thought today was an reanactment of the shite days of the fourth division
Small crowd & two shite teams trying to entertain and failing.

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by thomaspaine » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:34 pm

Grumps wrote:
... For making it easier to park, book better seats, no moaners sat near, easy access to toilets, easy to leave after game....please can you all stay away next round .

I too enjoyed the game. Helps when your team wins of course. Good luck to those who stayed away and not really interested what they got up to. We had a good day out watching our football team... and all for a tenner each. What's not to like?

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:37 pm

Just spotted another.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:40 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:17 pm
You weren't entertained by six goals in a game?

Would you have preferred a 0-0?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:00 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Way to go. You show them!!! If only more people would be so principled and wait until we’ve scored 3 goals before streaming the rest of the match.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:05 pm

Wow - that really is the stuff of the Tolpuddle Martyrs, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Greta Thunberg, etc

Long Tim Lurker - may the force be with you.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:09 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:05 pm
Wow - that really is the stuff of the Tolpuddle Martyrs, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Greta Thunberg, etc

Long Tim Lurker - may the force be with you.
I can’t believe that it’s not parody.

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:15 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:58 pm

Brian Laws had to write something though and it wasn't going to be about his glorious achievements as a manager.

Laws ever being appointed is on the scale of getting 6 lucky numbers. If he was referring to Burnley fans at the time the statement is totally out of context. We may as well have given Andy Payton the job.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
You’re easy to please :D

Longsidebogs
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by Longsidebogs » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:23 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:

^^^^^^^This.
I could not agree more!

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:40 pm

Longsidebogs wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:23 pm
^^^^^^^This.
I could not agree more!
Each to his own - personally I think it’s the usual sh-ite and nonsense he comes out with.
Meaningless tosh.
At least with Boysie’s criticism it’s succinct !!

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:05 pm

Traditionally the 3rd round has attracted a reduced attendance and that's as long as I can remember. Possible exceptions City (under Casper) and Derby (under Mullen). My dad used to say some season ticket holders won't pay to watch the early rounds of the cup, we are talking 30 odd years ago. We were season ticket holders in the CFS in the late 70s / early 80s but whenever it was the cup they'd take us on the Bee Hole as they had to pay. It's not changed over time, seem to remember a pretty sparse crowd under the good times of Stan's regime against Canvey Island.

Nothing's really changed has it? It gives some UTC posters though, the opportunity to enhance their agenda of hoofball and bored to tears etc.

I only read a couple of words of long time lurkers post.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:43 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
You weren't entertained by a 4-2 win? Well you wouldn't be seeing as you weren't there! :D

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:58 pm

Thanks for those who didn't go

(In the style of who's line is it anyway)

For letting all us gormless goons have space around us where we won't be judged by the normals and can clap one instance and verbally abuse Joe Hart the next.

Very fitting day.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:18 pm

For all those fans fed up of watching Burnley you might want to check out the quality of football they have to put up with down the road

https://twitter.com/ldnlongside/status/ ... 38432?s=19

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:22 pm

Today was ok. I’m glad I saw a Burnley team win 4-2. I’m happy that Sean didn’t make wholesale changes. Pope, Mee and Tarks all needed a rest so two out of three isn’t bad. Our 4 full backs are pretty much interchangeable. He rested Westwood and gave game time to JBG, Joe, Aaron, Jeff, Kevin and Jay. I personally would have given Vydra more minutes and given the last few minutes to Ali K. Jeff Hendrick is probably disappointed that he didn’t put in a more impressive performance. Seemed to cover a lot of ground but his touch and passsing was below his usual standard. In the hat for Round 4, had a bit of a confidence booster and a few players got more minutes into their legs. Now back to the bread and butter.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:40 am

Myself and six other family members made the trip yesterday and we all enjoyed a great day out. Lots of good football played by Burnley, Lennon in particular, and some great goals as well. Sometimes it gets a bit dull, like Barnsley last year, but yesterday was a really entertaining match, a chance to catch up with family members, and a great day out all round. Would have hated to have missed it.
These 3 users liked this post: Stayingup Leisure Bosscat

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:54 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:

Agree with a lot of what you say. Have you got writers cramp yet?