Men's mental helath

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Re: Men's mental helath

Post by BennyD » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:59 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:10 pm
Absolute ********.
C&J, I bow to your expertise on the subject of ********, you spout so much of it you must truly be a world authority.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:12 am

BennyD wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:59 am
C&J, I bow to your expertise on the subject of ********, you spout so much of it you must truly be a world authority.
Thanks gorgeous x

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:42 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:41 pm
It seems only the really big clubs, who don’t need it, are prepared to not accept gambling sponsorship. I know that some people at our club are uncomfortable with it but clubs like ours cannot get anything like the same financial level of sponsorship from non betting companies.
I get what you are saying Tony but another way of looking at could be that we take a smaller amount and make a stand whilst we are financially capable of doing so.
I don’t know how much the current deal is but let’s say it’s £2m a year.
We are going to lose 19% of that in corporation tax given the overall profits we continue to make...so that’s nearly £400k.
If we took a non betting company sponsorship of say a million a year - again we lose 19% of that...so £200k.

So the difference between the deals end up being only £800k a year....which given the overall revenue / profits we are generating is not massive in the scheme of things.

Personally for me it’s a stance worth taking by the club and would be something I’d fully support - happy for season tickets to go up by 10% to help fund the difference too.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:52 am

Most people can gamble responsibly but the club should pander to the few that can’t and forgo hundreds of thousands of pounds ? It would be nice if we could just have Farmhouse Biscuits on the shirts but football has moved on.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:54 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:28 pm
i get that, but its a dilemma for a modern day club that they want to reach out to the local community with many worthy schemes, but at the same time are virtually forced to back beers and betting to enhance the brand. not a good look in an era where health and enticing younger fans is a priority.
It's not though is it?
Money is the main priority, always is with our club.

Current fans and future fans are a long way down on Burnley Football Clubs list of priorities.

Other clubs maybe, Burnley definitely not

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:57 am

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:42 am
I get what you are saying Tony but another way of looking at could be that we take a smaller amount and make a stand whilst we are financially capable of doing so.
I don’t know how much the current deal is but let’s say it’s £2m a year.
We are going to lose 19% of that in corporation tax given the overall profits we continue to make...so that’s nearly £400k.
If we took a non betting company sponsorship of say a million a year - again we lose 19% of that...so £200k.

So the difference between the deals end up being only £800k a year....which given the overall revenue / profits we are generating is not massive in the scheme of things.

Personally for me it’s a stance worth taking by the club and would be something I’d fully support - happy for season tickets to go up by 10% to help fund the difference too.
We started charging for the Childrens Christmas party, and still have a premium phone lines
Every £1 matters, never mind 400k.

Are you mad?!

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:57 am

Blackrod wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:52 am
Most people can gamble responsibly but the club should pander to the few that can’t and forgo hundreds of thousands of pounds ? It would be nice if we could just have Farmhouse Biscuits on the shirts but football has moved on.
What about all the 15/16 year olds who go on the Turf who are too young to really know any better? Is it right to normalise gambling/ram it down their throats every home game? Gambling is a serious addiction which causes just as much damage as alcohol/drug addiction.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2272 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:02 am

I remember when I was about 10, I used to love it when a ground had a bookies on the concourse because it meant my Dad would put a £1 bet on Payton 5v0 for me :lol:

Pie, programme, sweets & a bet... :lol:

HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:14 am

Really agree with the main thrust of this post which is that there is a lot of nastiness on this forum, in fact, I think the general tone brings out the worst in people. This is true of the internet generally to be fair, not just here: guarantee if everyone who had posted in this thread were sat in a room together, the conversation would be very different to what's happened so far. I'm no saint myself, but it would be good if everyone did make a bit of effort to just think 'would I say that to this person's face' before posting.

I also think the politics, O/T stuff should go in a different place: I'll lose my rag over politics in a way I wouldn't over football or something innocuous (probably worse IRL than I am on the internet!) it's too tempting to click and get drawn in.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:17 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:57 am
What about all the 15/16 year olds who go on the Turf who are too young to really know any better? Is it right to normalise gambling/ram it down their throats every home game? Gambling is a serious addiction which causes just as much damage as alcohol/drug addiction.
Often making a mistake is the only true way of learning & not to repeat the same mistake, 15/16 year olds when they've lost a few quid & when it becomes tiresome chasing the losses they soon learn, odd exceptions a few may split through the net, sometimes you just need to have a go for yourself & experiment, as kids we've (most) drunk booze in the parks or smoked grass ect, most people in later life don't become alcoholics or heroin addicts, negative experiences can be beneficial in learning what you like or dislike.

Blackrod

Post by Blackrod » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:28 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:57 am
Maybe you would like to see the beer bottles in the concourse kiosks behind closed screens for people that can’t control their drinking ? Where will it stop ?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:44 am

Blackrod wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:28 am
Maybe you would like to see the beer bottles in the concourse kiosks behind closed screens for people that can’t control their drinking ? Where will it stop ?
I get what you're saying, but people have said yesterday there were people from Ladbrokes going round the concourse tapping people on the shoulder actively encouraging them to bet. Surely that's going too far?

HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:46 am

BennyD wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:07 pm
And while we’re at it no fun, banter or humour just in case someone feels offended for not getting the jokes. The fact that we are always pandering to the lowest common denominator is making our society virtually untenable; like the ethical vegans who are now allowed to complain about anything with the backing of the law. Technically you can now be accused of harassment for going to work wearing leather shoes. Society is crumbling because we are making allowances for everything instead of saying “bolloxcs, just get on with it”. Still, I suppose it keeps you in a job.

This isn't directed at you in particular BennyD but your post and the response it received did get me thinking.

Part of the problem I have with initiatives in football and so on to raise awareness about mental health - well-meaning as they are - is that I worry they tend to trivialise the issue which gives rise to responses of this kind. It becomes just another string on the bow of political correctness or identity politics, and a lot of people - rightly or wrongly - do not have time for that outlook on life.

But mental illness can be an incredibly debilitating condition, and just as none of us would mock someone for being unable to walk, we should not mock people who suffer from psychological disorders. They are hidden illnesses, and people who have had them, especially when they are chronic (i.e. lifelong), know that this is both a blessing and a curse: on the one hand there's outwardly nothing wrong with you, so no need for a wheel chair ramp or special accommodations in a museum for instance, but on the other, since it is still restricts you, or at least holds you back, you can't do the same things as other people, and since it is hidden, and something you may not particularly want to share for fear of what people might think or because they often don't understand, you have to watch as others succeed where you can't - and not for lack of trying in many cases - and try to come up with excuses, or, what is more common, simply isolate yourself, in a way you wouldn't if what ailed you was more obvious to anyone you might meet.

Bear in mind, in the old days, if you were really severe, you'd be put on a ward or in an asylum. The funds and facilities aren't there anymore, but there are some sufferers who would prefer to be institutionalised. It can be deeply unpleasant, frightening and at times something you may not even wish on your worst enemy.

Yard with Lunatics -  Goya c. 1794
Yard with Lunatics - Goya c. 1794
Courtyard_with_Lunatics_by_Goya_1794.jpg (286.77 KiB) Viewed 921 times
This user liked this post: cricketfield73

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:23 pm

Wow well done guys! Class acts.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Blackrod

Post by Blackrod » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:38 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:44 am
I get what you're saying, but people have said yesterday there were people from Ladbrokes going round the concourse tapping people on the shoulder actively encouraging them to bet. Surely that's going too far?
Yes it probably is and particularly if impressionable teenagers.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:30 pm

BennyD wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:53 am
So please, take your crass attempts at psychoanalysis elsewhere and don’t try to explain me with them. Thanks.
I'm not psychoanalysing, but in a discussion about mental health it's perhaps inevitable that we'd wade into the realms of psychology. Intuitive, not academic, it has to be said. I'll put it plainly: On this thread, of all places, how do you square the circle of claiming to care for people, while also making arguments tantamount to "everybody is soft"?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:29 am

Burtonwoodclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:37 pm
We had a brief reminder before todays game to take care of our Mental Health. My experience as a counsellor has shown me that low self-esteem lies behind many mental health problems. Believing in oneself and building emotional resilience is a valuable and important task for everyone of us . However we also should take responsibility for the emotional well being of others. Putting people down, either in person or on line is often very destructive. This message board seems to have some posters who seem to delight in what can only be described as cyber-bullying.
Can we possibly make this a board where we exercise zero tolerance to cyber bullying and hurtful comments about people who can't defend themselves.
Just wanted to nudge this up. Nice sentiments. But even from those who jumped on this, feel it’s acceptable to jump on a thread targeted at a poster last night.

The double standards is hilarious.