Things not well at the club?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Re: Things not well at the club?

Post by claretandy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:24 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:53 pm
At a earlier Q and A session we were told we missed two targets who choose to go to champ clubs due to them paying higher wages. Think one could have been the striker Assombalonga.
Could be wrong about him but SD definitely said BFC target went to champ clubs. That’s was maybe 18-2 years ago.

That is true, but it was 2 years ago, nobody is spending that kind of money in the Championship now.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:33 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:10 pm
I’ve said before that, to me, the chase and capture of the Premier League has been better than trying to stop it escaping again. Without outside investment we are trapped in a paradox. We can’t compete in the Premier League, even with the PL Money, but we also can’t compete in the Championship over the long term because of the lack of the PL Money. Staying in the PL for as long as possible, by any means necessary is probably the best we can hope for, but boy is it going to be **** to watch at times.
We've been promoted 3 times from the Championship. No reason we couldn't do it again

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:47 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:10 pm
I’ve said before that, to me, the chase and capture of the Premier League has been better than trying to stop it escaping again. Without outside investment we are trapped in a paradox. We can’t compete in the Premier League, even with the PL Money, but we also can’t compete in the Championship over the long term because of the lack of the PL Money. Staying in the PL for as long as possible, by any means necessary is probably the best we can hope for, but boy is it going to be **** to watch at times.
Competing in the PL is without doubt difficult for us, but by no means impossible. We are likely to continue with our unique way of operating and I see no evidence whatsoever of an inclination from the Board to relinquish control of the Club via outside investment. They have built the Club from it's very foundations and will be most reluctant to hand over the reins to non-Burnley fans.

Going back to being able to compete, remember that the financial landscape in the PL is forever changing. Who might have envisaged back in 2014/15 in our first PL season under Dyche with a Wage bill of £29.4m, that within four seasons that Wage bill had increased to £81.6m. We could only do that because Broadcast Income increased from £66.6m to £121.5m. Now that the likes of Amazon Prime have become involved who knows how the same figures will look in another four years time. Lord Beamish is correct in that we have to stay in this league for as long as possible but I'm not convinced the appetite to do so, from the seven people that matter, is quite as strong as even four years ago. Interesting time ahead, for sure.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:02 pm

Can't we just get Frank McPartland back?

He seemed on top of the job.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:30 pm

Chip Harrison wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:23 pm
And there's me thinking we lost that game. Please tell me the last time Pope saved a shot with his hands instead of his feet. Tell me how good his kicking and distribution is. Also please tell me how vocal he is. I used to hear Heaton from the upper JH. I haven't heard Pope once.

I also want to now from the other posters that continue to bleat that we should be picking up cheap, hungry bargains fro lower leagues. Who are these guys? Is there a chance that only Burnley will see them, or do they not exist?

And what a marvellous point that people are saying we should be like Sheff. Utd, when 90% of people on here were rioting at the thought of signing Norwood. Also Mooy is mentioned as a missed opportunity. None of you wanted him!
You are very wrong re Mooy.