ARTICLE: Drinkwater back in claret and blue

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Re: ARTICLE: Drinkwater back in claret and blue

Post by NewClaret » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:01 am

If Villa are paying £110k people for him, I’ll be staggered. I’d have thought they need a striker and a keeper first.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:02 am

Isn’t McGinn out for a while?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:08 am

DCWat wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:02 am
About 3 months according to reports.so i'd expect DD to get a fair amount of gametime.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:12 am

DCWat wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:02 am
Good point. Had forgotten about him.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:27 am

It's interesting that the majority of posts put all their reasons for him not playing for us at Drinkwaters door, so theirs no blame attached to Burnley then?
This user liked this post: snapcrackleandpop

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:37 am

Seems happier in that one photo than in the photo when he joined us and any subsequent photo or interview seemed throughly ******-off at Burnley

Cant help feeling angry at DD using us for a wage

UTC

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:39 am

SussexDon1inIreland wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:37 am
Seems happier in that one photo than in the photo when he joined us and any subsequent photo or interview seemed throughly ******-off at Burnley

Cant help feeling angry at DD using us for a wage

UTC
Dread to think what your feelings are towards Mike Rigg then :o

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:31 am

Goobs wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:56 pm
We did.
He was $h!t.
We move on.

Quoted the wrong person. :lol:
So we have a player and never give him a game until the best midfield in the world come to town. Understandably he struggles. Therefore he is ****?
Football fans are thick. QED.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1463 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:37 am

corporal jones wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:31 am
So we have a player and never give him a game until the best midfield in the world come to town. Understandably he struggles. Therefore he is ****?
Football fans are thick. QED.
18 Dobson
8 McGeouch
13 O'Nien Substituted for Power at 87'minutes
17 Embleton

There you have it ladies and gents. The best midfield in the world according to the all knowledgeable Corporal Jones. Don't panic if like me you thought that this title may have gone to a team slightly better than a team halfway down league one.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:57 pm

beddie wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:27 am
It's interesting that the majority of posts put all their reasons for him not playing for us at Drinkwaters door, so theirs no blame attached to Burnley then?
IMO opinion there's plenty of blame attached to the club here. DD was INITIALLY very much at fault due to the night club fiasco, but once we'd agreed he could stay and we worked to get him sorted out mentally and physically, why the hell didn't we play him!!? If you're not going to, then simply send him packing after the fight!! And surely a fit and firing DD would be an upgrade on an ageing and extremely slow Cork. The people with the last laugh here could well be Villa. We get the guy fit to play and one of our closest rivals profits from it when they're in a bit of a hole after losing arguably their second best player. I know we don't know all the facts and I really don't like to criticise SD or the club, but we do look more than a bit daft I feel.

corporal jones

Post by corporal jones » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:06 pm

Goobs wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:37 am
18 Dobson
8 McGeouch
17 Embleton

There you have it ladies and gents. The best midfield in the world according to the all knowledgeable Corporal Jones. Don't panic if like me you thought that this title may have gone to a team slightly better than a team halfway down league one.
clearly I was referring to man citys midfield and your response has just proved my point again. QED.

corporal jones

Post by corporal jones » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Goobs wrote:
18 Dobson
8 McGeouch
17 Embleton

clearly I was referring to man citys midfield and your response has just proved my point again. QED.

corporal jones

Goobs wrote:
18 Dobson
8 McGeouch
17 Embleton

corporal jones

Goobs wrote:
18 Dobson
8 McGeouch
17 Embleton

Goobs
Been Liked: 1463 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:35 pm

corporal jones wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:07 pm
Alright calm down petal no need to wind yourself up into such a frenzy that you get stuck on repeat.

dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:21 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:57 pm
IMO opinion there's plenty of blame attached to the club here. DD was INITIALLY very much at fault due to the night club fiasco, but once we'd agreed he could stay and we worked to get him sorted out mentally and physically, why the hell didn't we play him!!? If you're not going to, then simply send him packing after the fight!! And surely a fit and firing DD would be an upgrade on an ageing and extremely slow Cork. The people with the last laugh here could well be Villa. We get the guy fit to play and one of our closest rivals profits from it when they're in a bit of a hole after losing arguably their second best player. I know we don't know all the facts and I really don't like to criticise SD or the club, but we do look more than a bit daft I feel.
How did he look in training? Obviously Sean Dyche thought for various reasons, but especially his performance in training, that Cork was the better option. Did you see something that Dyche didn't?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:30 pm

I don't know about you lot but I thought Drinkwater was non existent tonight for Villa, like he wasn't even playing.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:18 am

I think Villa will be in bigger trouble than it looks. They may have beat us and looked good too, but they lost Heaton and Wesley. The addition of Drinkwater is just another risk for them and one that could easily go against them.

It's all rosy when things are going your way but I wouldn't expect Drinkwater is the kind of player you want around when things aren't going well.

For all his faults Dyche is a good judge of character so you can bet there's good reason he didn't get a chance and my guess is it's something to do with ego or arrogance.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:54 am

dsr wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:21 pm
How did he look in training? Obviously Sean Dyche thought for various reasons, but especially his performance in training, that Cork was the better option. Did you see something that Dyche didn't?
I appreciate what you're saying and no, of course I didn't, but all I'm saying is that rather than spend time and money getting him fit after the night club scrap, we should just have got rid. At the time I had no issue with us keeping him as I thought he'd get sorted, play some games and give us something extra, but we didn't even try him, so would have been better all round just sending him back. That's all.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:55 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:54 am
I appreciate what you're saying and no, of course I didn't, but all I'm saying is that rather than spend time and money getting him fit after the night club scrap, we should just have got rid. At the time I had no issue with us keeping him as I thought he'd get sorted, play some games and give us something extra, but we didn't even try him, so would have been better all round just sending him back. That's all.
But we’d entered into a contract to take the player on loan. What makes you think we could just send him back?

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:01 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:55 am
But we’d entered into a contract to take the player on loan. What makes you think we could just send him back?
I definitely thought that after the night club incident the club (SD?) strongly implied that they could have pulled the plug because of it, but decided not to and to work with DD. (Which as mentioned, I didn't have any problem with, but if he then was NEVER going to play, why bother?) I may be wrong of course.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:06 pm

If Villa get Drinkwater firing on all cylinders, they really are going to make Dyche look like a right Charlie

dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:50 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:06 pm
If Villa get Drinkwater firing on all cylinders, they really are going to make Dyche look like a right Charlie
That's true of all players. How would it have looked if Jutkiewicz had scored 30 goals and then torn it up in the Premier League? You have to take that risk when you let players go.

(And I reckon the likelihood of Drinkwater proving himself worthy of his vast salary, is remote.)

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:31 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:01 am
If Villa are paying £110k people for him, I’ll be staggered. I’d have thought they need a striker and a keeper first.
The reporting I've seen says that Villa refused to pick up the full wage bill and it's nearer the ~50% that we were meant to be paying.

I guess Chelsea thought there was no harm in trying it on but obviously no-one bit.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:21 pm

A professional player desperate to get game time and give their manager something to think about should be 100% fit and firing, pulling out all the stops to impress.

Drinkwater was happily coasting along at Chelsea, trotting out on the training pitch and picking up a big wage. If he had been pulling out all the stops to claim a place in the managers thinking he should have been ready to hit the ground running when he came to us. The fact that he was some way off being 100% in terms of his general fitness ( never mind sharpness ) is a clear indication of his casual disregard for putting in the effort.

As we all know he had has hiccup almost as soon as he arrived. That required more downtime and in the game against Man City he didn't look like he had a full 90 minutes in him. Neither did he look all that sharp in terms of his playing contribution. Finally, we get his Villa interview in which he talks about watching the Villa game from our bench and wishing he was playing for them.

No fitness, no commitment, happy to coast given the option, didn't look that good against city and taking our money while wanting to play elsewhere. Not the type of player you want to be reliant on when you are up against it as we very well could be in the remainder of this season.

Happy to be rid of him, we gave him a golden chance to resurrect his flagging career and he threw it back in our face, complete cock and we did well to show him the door.

Did I mention that he sat on our bench taking our money while harbouring a drooling desire to play for an opposing team ( in our own ******* stadium ). Oh, I did mention that, well I'm not deleting it because thinking about it pisses me off. In fact I'm tempted to write it again and highlight it in bold.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:21 pm
A professional player desperate to get game time and give their manager something to think about should be 100% fit and firing, pulling out all the stops to impress.

Drinkwater was happily coasting along at Chelsea, trotting out on the training pitch and picking up a big wage. If he had been pulling out all the stops to claim a place in the managers thinking he should have been ready to hit the ground running when he came to us. The fact that he was some way off being 100% in terms of his general fitness ( never mind sharpness ) is a clear indication of his casual disregard for putting in the effort.

As we all know he had has hiccup almost as soon as he arrived. That required more downtime and in the game against Man City he didn't look like he had a full 90 minutes in him. Neither did he look all that sharp in terms of his playing contribution. Finally, we get his Villa interview in which he talks about watching the Villa game from our bench and wishing he was playing for them.

No fitness, no commitment, happy to coast given the option, didn't look that good against city and taking our money while wanting to play elsewhere. Not the type of player you want to be reliant on when you are up against it as we very well could be in the remainder of this season.

Happy to be rid of him, we gave him a golden chance to resurrect his flagging career and he threw it back in our face, complete cock and we did well to show him the door.

Did I mention that he sat on our bench taking our money while harbouring a drooling desire to play for an opposing team ( in our own ******* stadium ). Oh, I did mention that, well I'm not deleting it because thinking about it pisses me off. In fact I'm tempted to write it again and highlight it in bold.
Or maybe he realised no matter what he did Dyche was never gonna drop his blue eyed boys Cork and Westwood so he was wasting his time with us?

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:52 pm

he also played a full part in Chelsea pre-season before being loaned to us - which suggests he had reached on-field fitness

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:31 pm

claretblue wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:52 pm
he also played a full part in Chelsea pre-season before being loaned to us - which suggests he had reached on-field fitness
He really wasn’t. I remember a couple of weeks before he signed for us he had just played a in a pre season tournament game in the USA, I think it was, and the radio commentator remarked on how out of shape he looked.