Dyche interview

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11048 times
Has Liked: 5657 times

Dyche interview

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:25 pm

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/cla ... ary-window

apparently he still isn't clear in what is available in terms of money to spend this January - how the **** is that the case ????

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Re: Dyche interview

Post by Corky » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:30 pm

It's probably not the truth, but you just get bullshit from the guy now. His interviews, such as they are, frankly, aren't worth watching anymore.
These 3 users liked this post: cockneyclaret Greeny claretfern

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 979 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Obviously Dyche isn't as closely involved with everything going on at Turf Moor as others would have us believe or he's telling porkies.

Perhaps Garlick is waiting to see if we beat Norwich on 25 January to give him the money for progressing beyond the 4th round. :x

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Oh I see, were you expecting him the tell the media, the world and his wife that he has shed loads to spend?
These 7 users liked this post: Guitargeorge JohnDearyMe deanothedino LeadBelly gawthorpe_view MG70 KateR

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:39 pm

Really don’t see why you expect Dyche to say “I know exactly what we have available to spend” given it is blatantly obvious that the club works in a way where they will make something happen when all the ducks line up in terms of availability of player, type of player, character of player, age and potential of player etc etc. For this reason there will probably not be a time when Dyche knows exactly what is available to spend and it will always be a case of let’s make it happen...he is being factual by saying he doesn’t have the exact amount in mind...

However, it does give people the stick to beat the club with even if they can’t grasp what he has said...
This user liked this post: deanothedino

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:44 pm

Hes just waiting for final confirmation if he has virtually nothing or precious little.

MarkGreen
Been Liked: 479 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Post by MarkGreen » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Journalist at 15:48 in that video - "Is this because of your experience and what you've done here at Barnsley"

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:56 pm

I could see how that might be true to an extent.

Dyche was heavily involved in our transfers prior to the arrival of Rigg. One of the main reason given for employing Rigg was to take some of the weight / workload off Dyche so that he could focus on managing the players instead of other things.

He tells Rigg what he needs, Rigg puts together his list, and then Garlick / Dyche / Baldwin say yay or nay to the players on that list. Although the last part is all a bit irreleavant if the players on the list are far too expensive, unlikely to leave their current team or they don't want to join us.

The upshot being, if Rigg is doing his job and shouldering the weight of our transfer strategy, Dyche could be a bit out of the loop in terms of exactly what we have to spend.

However, given the poor peformance by Rigg in the last two windows ( and possibly this one ) Dyche should really be stepping back into our transfer dealings. 10 months planning and we get the shower of **** that was the last window, 14 months at the club and he doesn't know the financial world we live in or the state of the market ( selling our players to cheaply and chasing after players we can't afford ) the guy obviously needs help.

Then again, what did we expect ?

We took Drinkwater on loan and found out that he wasn't ready to play an immediate role, because he had been on the side lines for 2 years. We picked up Rigg from the outer fringes of the football world. After screwing up at Fulham he took a job with SRi as a global football advisor ( whatever that is ), which means he hasn't been an active participant in the transfer market for 2 years.

No wonder he is finding it tough. We should have hired a Technical Director who was ready to contribute from the get go, not an out of touch under achiever who needs 2 years to get back to the lower threshold of mediocrity that marked the pinnacle of his past performances.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:06 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a manager tell a journalist how much money is available in any given transfer window and there's a good reason why this is the case. It's not hard to suss out why, is it.
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3806 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:16 pm

I doubt any Premier League Managers are the one's holding the purse strings and spending the money nowadays so it's slightly irrelevant.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 979 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:22 pm

I saw an interview on SSN recently with Chris Wilder when the January window opened, and Chris said that he was in communication constantly with the person overseeing transfers, ringing him several times a day, to check on what progress was being made to secure his targets.

Whilst I accept that Dyche would not be holding the purse strings he should surely be playing a very active role in the transfer process.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:22 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:56 pm
selling our players to cheaply
Who? And how is that Rigg's fault? He won't be the only person signing off on a sale.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:30 pm

Maybe , just maybe a lot is to do with who goes out and for what.
Also theres wages to factor into incoming too.

All the deals get lined up then it's a domino effect.

If we get x amount, we can spend x on him, then so on and so forth between several clubs and players

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:13 pm

Down_Rover wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:33 pm
Oh I see, were you expecting him the tell the media, the world and his wife that he has shed loads to spend?
no, I expect him to say nothing about it whatsoever, he's clearly having another dig at the board.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:34 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:13 pm
no, I expect him to say nothing about it whatsoever, he's clearly having another dig at the board.
You could have guessed right but I don’t think it is clear at all, you are just thinking too hard

He simply does not want to advertise how much is available

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by levraiclaret » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:44 pm

MarkGreen wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm
Journalist at 15:48 in that video - "Is this because of your experience and what you've done here at Barnsley"
Yes I heard that, must be from the BBC ;)

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:45 pm

I just thought SD was open honest and quite detailed in explaining the situation ie the player has to be “ straight out the box quality “ and the terms /agents /fee etc etc has to be all in alignment . Ultimately we’re an unattractive club who don’t pay much .

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:46 pm

Down_Rover wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:34 pm
You could have guessed right but I don’t think it is clear at all, you are just thinking too hard

He simply does not want to advertise how much is available
my opinion differs to yours, nobody knows who is correct - either way it was an unnecessary comment imho

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:36 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:30 pm
Maybe , just maybe a lot is to do with who goes out and for what.
Also theres wages to factor into incoming too.

All the deals get lined up then it's a domino effect.

If we get x amount, we can spend x on him, then so on and so forth between several clubs and players
This is a very sensible overview,but it won't stop the moaners whinging about us not signing players ASAP,we don't have the financial clout to get deals over the line quickly,frustrating as that maybe,that's just reality i'm afraid,so we have to offload before we can recruit,and if our fringe players won't move for whatever reason,then it makes it harder to juggle the plates,and yes wages will always be an issue for clubs like Burnley.

I haven't been following the transfer window in depth,but most teams seem to be holding fire so far,my guess is the last week in January will see more movement,and then hopefully we'll be able to get one or two over the line,but we need the planets to align for deals to go through.

Row Z
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:23 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:36 pm
This is a very sensible overview,but it won't stop the moaners whinging about us not signing players ASAP,we don't have the financial clout to get deals over the line quickly,frustrating as that maybe,that's just reality i'm afraid,so we have to offload before we can recruit,and if our fringe players won't move for whatever reason,then it makes it harder to juggle the plates,and yes wages will always be an issue for clubs like Burnley.

I haven't been following the transfer window in depth,but most teams seem to be holding fire so far,my guess is the last week in January will see more movement,and then hopefully we'll be able to get one or two over the line,but we need the planets to align for deals to go through.
Sounds like you've bought the story the club churns out every transfer window......

I don't buy that we have no money available... yes wages may be high given some of the earners stuck on the books, but drinkwater has just gone back, so his wage is now available. Not only that, but we have not spent any money for a good few windows so this should be available now? If we had record bids in for Philips at Leeds recently, these funds surely are still there to invest?

I understand the separate debate on targets, personalities, dressing room harmony, wages, age etc... but purely on funds and wages I don't see why we would be lacking.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:27 am

With JBG's and Barnes injury problems and Drinkwater going to Villa surely we have to sign a couple of back up players at least. I can't believe money is that tight and SD so picky about the types of players we sign that we can't bring in anyone. If we get any injuries or suspensions to a couple of our starting 11 then we really would be up a creek without a paddle. I think other teams have worked us out and we don't have any alternatives to change the way we play.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1749 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:03 am

Down_Rover wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:33 pm
Er..no. He could just have said he’s working with the appropriate colleagues within our budget constraints.

Whether it’s true that he doesn’t know how much there is to spend on not, it doesn’t make things sound particularly joined-up.