Jordon Ibe

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Jordon Ibe

Post by MACCA » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:12 pm

What's your thoughts on this lad?

Out of contract in the summer, still only 24 and Eddie is willing to let him go in January.

Plays attacking midfielder or winger, pacy direct and after showing great promise at Liverpool went to Bournemouth for 18m, so must be some quality in there.

Still relatively young so hasn't reached his peak yet so room to develop and improve.

Similarly Bournemouth are struggling and he isnt in the team, so doubt he can command ludicrous wages, or can expect much bigger club than ours to come calling.

Low to no fee, any wage hiccups could be offset my a signing on fee if he signs for no fee or a relatively low one.
Its an are we need to strengthen and ticks nearly all the boxes we should be looking at.

Thoughts?

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Re: Jordon Ibe

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:15 pm

Liverpool had Eddie's trousers down and we all laughed about it at the time. Your're right, they are struggling and yet he's not playing and they want shut. What does that tell you??

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:20 pm

There is a talent in there somewhere. He offers something completely different to anyone in our squad. Pace, can pass with both feet, can beat a Man.

We could probably get him for 5 million given his contract situation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NnRon9dOkH0

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:21 pm

Oh hell no!

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Recently in trouble for a driving incident wasn't he in Bromley allegedly, inconsistent winger who hasn't played much leads me to put this in the nightmare signing bracket.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Ibe surprised if we were interested in him tbh.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:28 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:15 pm
Liverpool had Eddie's trousers down and we all laughed about it at the time. Your're right, they are struggling and yet he's not playing and they want shut. What does that tell you??
Fair enough, but IMO with both Lennon and Hendrick OOC we are likely to be 2 players down in positions we are already short in.

This guy can play both positions, is pacy, is young, time to improve, could have decent sell on potential, is brittish based with premier league experience and relatively cheap.

Seems to tick more boxes than not, and I'm not having he's not at least as good as Lennon.

I get he isnt playing but Fraser, Brooks, King, Wilson and Stanislaus infront of him, its hardly surprising.

Our current RW cant get a game when all the other wingers are injured, which is quite often

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:30 pm

bodge wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:23 pm
Recently in trouble for a driving incident wasn't he in Bromley allegedly, inconsistent winger who hasn't played much leads me to put this in the nightmare signing bracket.
Fair point, although I'll await the alternative we opt for ( if infact we do ) before totally writing him off.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:42 pm

bodge wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:23 pm
....inconsistent winger who hasn't played much leads me to put this in the nightmare signing bracket.
JBG
Brady
Lennon

:lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:45 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:28 pm
Fair enough, but IMO with both Lennon and Hendrick OOC we are likely to be 2 players down in positions we are already short in.

This guy can play both positions, is pacy, is young, time to improve, could have decent sell on potential, is brittish based with premier league experience and relatively cheap.

Seems to tick more boxes than not, and I'm not having he's not at least as good as Lennon.

I get he isnt playing but Fraser, Brooks, King, Wilson and Stanislaus infront of him, its hardly surprising.

Our current RW cant get a game when all the other wingers are injured, which is quite often
I would have him on a loan deal until the end of the season with a view to permanent - but will never happen as not a dyche type player

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:55 pm

Like many players bought by Eddie over the last few years, he is more interested in very expensive motor cars. Not as bad as Max Gradel though. He used to swan about in a Rolls Royce and he is only a little fellow.

A definitive no.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:21 pm

Better than what we have, young, high potential and relatively affordable, of course the experts on here will deem him not good enough like Shaqiri, Maddison, Giroud and the rest.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:31 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:21 pm
Better than what we have, young, high potential and relatively affordable, of course the experts on here will deem him not good enough like Shaqiri, Maddison, Giroud and the rest.
Again you are talking utter sh-ite.
Those 3 you mentioned are clearly good enough for Burnley - but that’s why they play for 3 of the top clubs in the country and get paid twice as much as anyone at Burnley.

Ibe has failed to get in a team that has finished below us and who we regularly beat since he signed for them. If he can’t break into their team before Dan Gosling why would he be good enough for Burnley ?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:37 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:31 pm
Those 3 you mentioned are clearly good enough for Burnley - but that’s why they play for 3 of the top clubs in the country and get paid twice as much as anyone at Burnley.

Ibe has failed to get in a team that has finished below us and who we regularly beat since he signed for them. If he can’t break into their team before Dan Gosling why would he be good enough for Burnley ?
the only thing I would say to possibly counter that argument is that Mee and Trippier undoubtedly became better players under Dyche than they were under Howe

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:49 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:37 pm
the only thing I would say to possibly counter that argument is that Mee and Trippier undoubtedly became better players under Dyche than they were under Howe
That’s a valid point...but Howe did better with Stanislas than Dyche ever did.
I just think with Ibe he cost £16m four years ago - a big big fee and Bournemouth have not been the brilliant side throughout this period that the media would have you to believe and he still has failed to break into the side for any kind of sustained period.
Maybe Liverpool have just had Eddie’s pants down like Fergie used to so many times with his youngsters he deemed weren’t good enough but he got inflated prices for them purely because they played for United in the odd Carling cup game. It looks like Liverpool could have done the same again with the £20m they got for Solanke - though he could still could come good I suppose.

If Dyche thinks Ibe is good enough and can get him for a song fair enough - he will know better than me. But to put him in the same breath as Maddison, Giroud etc is just the usual guff from you know who.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Spike
Been Liked: 595 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:11 pm

If he is behind Junior then that tells you we shouldn’t be interested!

Cort was behind others for a fateful reason

Row Z
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:18 pm

TVC15 wrote:

We signed Heaton when he was relegated with record goals conceded, and we signed Arfield when he was released by Huddersfield..... its whether the player fits and can the coaching staff get the best from him.

IMO it would be a risk, but he has potential and as Macca says he has many attributes which our other wide players don't have.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:29 pm

TVC15 wrote:

Not sure why you said Dan gosling, that’s like saying Vydra can’t get in our side over Cork. I’m talking sh*^e but I’m agreeing with you, those 3 are good enough for us.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:31 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:20 pm
There is a talent in there somewhere. He offers something completely different to anyone in our squad. Pace, can pass with both feet, can beat a Man.

We could probably get him for 5 million given his contract situation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NnRon9dOkH0
Wow that is a bad highlights video. Posing and misplacing simple passes seem to be his main attributes.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:44 am

andyh wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:31 am
Wow that is a bad highlights video. Posing and misplacing simple passes seem to be his main attributes.
So too similar to what we have then?

did it show if he can chase channel balls, be a make shift 2nd right back of win headers from long diagonals?

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:52 am

MACCA wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:44 am
So too similar to what we have then?

did it show if he can chase channel balls, be a make shift 2nd right back or win headers from long diagonals?
Do we play channel balls - thought it was just punts up the middle

Could do with a new RB never mind makeshift 2nd

As for long diagonals, Tarks usually puts them in to the stand :D

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:06 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:52 am
Do we play channel balls - thought it was just punts up the middle

Could do with a new RB never mind makeshift 2nd

As for long diagonals, Tarks usually puts them in to the stand :D
Yes I've seen Wood attempt to chase a few down the channel.

To be fair on Tarky he's took a bit off them lately, not as many going into the Bob Lord.

Mee has been lifting a few too, so they're sharing the duty more.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:25 am

I can remember around 2 years ago this board discussing the merits of taking a punt on Adama Tratore, at t he time very inconsistent and playing in the Championship. He didn't turn out a bad gamble for Wolves.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:33 am

ashtonlongsider wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:25 am
I can remember around 2 years ago this board discussing the merits of taking a punt on Adama Tratore, at t he time very inconsistent and playing in the Championship. He didn't turn out a bad gamble for Wolves.
Do you think we have the fanbase to spend the best part of 20m on someone and wait 2 years for him to come good ?

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:36 am

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:12 pm
What's your thoughts on this lad?

Out of contract in the summer, still only 24 and Eddie is willing to let him go in January.

Plays attacking midfielder or winger, pacy direct and after showing great promise at Liverpool went to Bournemouth for 18m, so must be some quality in there.

Still relatively young so hasn't reached his peak yet so room to develop and improve.

Similarly Bournemouth are struggling and he isnt in the team, so doubt he can command ludicrous wages, or can expect much bigger club than ours to come calling.

Low to no fee, any wage hiccups could be offset my a signing on fee if he signs for no fee or a relatively low one.
Its an are we need to strengthen and ticks nearly all the boxes we should be looking at.

Thoughts?
You seem to be looking at this from a monetary point of view rather than if he is any good. You said yourself he can't get into a struggling team - why would we want him? Just wondering.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:52 am

houseboy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:36 am
You seem to be looking at this from a monetary point of view rather than if he is any good. You said yourself he can't get into a struggling team - why would we want him? Just wondering.
Because going off our usual aging, steady at best, can do a job types of recent windows I think he has something that none of our current players have, other than possibly McNeil.

I'd much rather sign a 24 year old player for a nominal fee that has a point to prove, time to develop and not even at his peak.
Let's just say I'd rather take a 2m , 35k a week gamble on a 24 year old Ibe , than say a 30/31 year old Lennon type, but that might just be me.

Also regards Bournemouth and the players he cant get in the side infront of, I think King, Wilson, Fraser, Brooks, Stanislaus ( and I've probably missed at least 1 more ) would all walk into our first 11 and improve us instantly.

They have some great wide men.

Remember that Arfield fella who was released and deemed not good enough for us as he couldnt get in a rubbish Huddersfield side?
He didnt turn out too badly.

Sometimes these little gambles, turn out to be a great decision and a head scratcher if they take off in new surroundings.
Like I mentioned above I'd rather us sign him than a 30+ aging old steady head.
Least we can see the plan and rationale behind it

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:27 am

Totally agree we need to be gambling somewhere for something otherwise we will just decay back to the Championship. I’m not sure Ibe is where I would put my chips.

We need to probably be looking younger and cheaper. Unfortunately that is where everyone else is looking.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:24 pm

I’d be willing to take a punt on him.

We have to try something a bit different, instead of constantly raiding the likes of Stoke for washed up has-beens.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:39 pm

andyh wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:27 am
Totally agree we need to be gambling somewhere for something otherwise we will just decay back to the Championship. I’m not sure Ibe is where I would put my chips.

We need to probably be looking younger and cheaper. Unfortunately that is where everyone else is looking.
Oh it would be your chips as you pit it, it'd be a chip in today's market.

I'm struggling to see where you'd get a wide man with his attributes with 50 championship games for under 10m these days.

With our squad down to its bare bones, 1 fit and decent enough wide man, we are crying out for pace and youth too.

I'd be taking a punt. What's the worst that can happen, he contributes as much as Lennon or Brady, yet for half the price?

Also would certainly be decent in the championship should we go down.

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:40 pm

MACCA wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:52 am
Because going off our usual aging, steady at best, can do a job types of recent windows I think he has something that none of our current players have, other than possibly McNeil.

I'd much rather sign a 24 year old player for a nominal fee that has a point to prove, time to develop and not even at his peak.
Let's just say I'd rather take a 2m , 35k a week gamble on a 24 year old Ibe , than say a 30/31 year old Lennon type, but that might just be me.

Also regards Bournemouth and the players he cant get in the side infront of, I think King, Wilson, Fraser, Brooks, Stanislaus ( and I've probably missed at least 1 more ) would all walk into our first 11 and improve us instantly.

They have some great wide men.

Remember that Arfield fella who was released and deemed not good enough for us as he couldnt get in a rubbish Huddersfield side?
He didnt turn out too badly.

Sometimes these little gambles, turn out to be a great decision and a head scratcher if they take off in new surroundings.
Like I mentioned above I'd rather us sign him than a 30+ aging old steady head.
Least we can see the plan and rationale behind it

They have better wide men than us thats why he cant get in. I think he is worth a punt.

We have McNeil who is class but will eventually go. JBG is great but injured a lot these days and Brady/Lennon who are inconstant. We have a much better defense than Bournemouth but they are better going forward so saying no because he cant displace Fraser/King/Brooks is a tad harsh and shortsighted. 24 with pace and still potential fits the bill for me

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:48 pm

claretcarrot93 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:40 pm
They have better wide men than us thats why he cant get in. I think he is worth a punt.

We have McNeil who is class but will eventually go. JBG is great but injured a lot these days and Brady/Lennon who are inconstant. We have a much better defense than Bournemouth but they are better going forward so saying no because he cant displace Fraser/King/Brooks is a tad harsh and shortsighted. 24 with pace and still potential fits the bill for me
I tjough similar

190 club appearances at 24, well over 100 in the premier league too.

The kind of age and player we should be taking punts on, I'd be far happier with his sort of low cost gamble/punt than the likes of Lennon, Walter's, Wells types that's for sure.

Least theres a rationale to an Ibe type signing

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:59 pm

Would he take a pay cut? I bet he's on a good rate at Bournemouth.

claretcarrot93

Post by claretcarrot93 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:59 pm

MACCA wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:48 pm
I tjough similar

190 club appearances at 24, well over 100 in the premier league too.

The kind of age and player we should be taking punts on, I'd be far happier with his sort of low cost gamble/punt than the likes of Lennon, Walter's, Wells types that's for sure.

Least theres a rationale to an Ibe type signing
It has not worked out for him and Bournemouth and people love an excuse to knock Howe on this message board for some reason, so people immediately think he is rubbish.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:05 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:59 pm
Would he take a pay cut? I bet he's on a good rate at Bournemouth.
He might have too, hes OOC in the summer.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:09 pm

claretcarrot93 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:59 pm
It has not worked out for him and Bournemouth and people love an excuse to knock Howe on this message board for some reason, so people immediately think he is rubbish.
Sometimes that's just the case, junior wasnt great here, done ok down there, King was average at Rovers, went there and has been talked about as a 25m man when he was on fire last season.

Sometimes a change, fresh start with the pressure off helps.
He went their young, for a huge fee and people expect instant success.
Look at Solanke too.

No manager has a 100% success record, especially when buying young talent to develop, but he's hardly been a total write off there he's played 76 times in 3 seasons, and represented England at U18, U19, U20 and U21

So he had/has something

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Had Dyche paid 15m for him and after 2 league goals in 3.5 seasons would people be saying get him signed up on another deal ?

claretcarrot93

Post by claretcarrot93 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:18 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:09 pm
Had Dyche paid 15m for him and after 2 league goals in 3.5 seasons would people be saying get him signed up on another deal ?
He has not performed as well he should but he is still young and has pace which we desperately lack and was behind Brooks and Fraser for last season, two of the standout wingers in the league,so for a small fee he might be an actual player who fits our budget and apparently they are not many.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:34 pm

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:09 pm
No, probably not.

But we aren't giving him another deal , we would be giving him a new deal, and a new start.

I'm bringing Lennon back up, but I'd rather go for Ibe that's "done nothing" in 3 seasons apart from 76 appearances and 2 goals, than a Lennon type who's made 67 appearances in 4 seasons with 1 goal

Probably very similar in terms of finance yet one player
1. Cant get much game time due to Brooks, king, Wilson, Fraser, Stanislaus in front of him
2. Is still only 24
3. Has time to develop and potentially sell on, so isnt dead money

The other is
1. Still struggling for game time even though his club has
mini injury crises
2. Has players played out of position at his expense
3. Signed at nearly 31, best years were way behind him, no chance development , bought as a stop gap and was dead money.

No one can predict the future but the former option type signing must surely be more advantageous to a club like ours than the latter, surely?

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:48 pm

Have Brooks Fraser & Stanislas played this season ? Wilson plays in a different position. His hype comes from him being at Liverpool same as Solanke.

I am not saying if you had the choice of signing either Lennon or Ibe today with an eye for the future the pick Lennon ( I haven't mentioned Lennon once) Ibe is the obvious one but you are ignoring everything about Ibe. Point still stands you would be hammering Dyche if he was our player saying what a waste of money he was.

Wembley09
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by Wembley09 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:58 pm

No thanks, I kind of look at it like signing Luke Chadwick or Chris Eagles for an inflated sum in this day and age.
Liverpool definitely did have Eddie's pants down like said above.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:05 pm

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:48 pm
Have Brooks Fraser & Stanislas played this season ? Wilson plays in a different position. His hype comes from him being at Liverpool same as Solanke.

I am not saying if you had the choice of signing either Lennon or Ibe today with an eye for the future the pick Lennon ( I haven't mentioned Lennon once) Ibe is the obvious one but you are ignoring everything about Ibe. Point still stands you would be hammering Dyche if he was our player saying what a waste of money he was.
Who knows, maybe Mr Dyche could get a player ticking that Eddie can't/couldn't and Visa versa, it's certainly been proven that can be the case.

As mentioned above, I'll hold my opinions to wait to see the chosen alternative.

Was just a suggestion, and 1 I think ticks more pro boxes than cons

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5004 times
Has Liked: 6722 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:23 pm

Not good enough for a relegation rival,dubious attitude, not really fit.... ideal for us.