Iran accused of shooting ukranian plane down .

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Re: Iran accused of shooting ukranian plane down .

Post by Damo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:26 am

The tinfoil hat brigade probably still dont believe Iran shot this plane out of the sky, even though they admitted it
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:40 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:21 pm
I rest my case...now reports coming out that it was a technical failure. Pictures of a 'missile' are unconfirmed and highly dubious it seems. It looks like we are now in a situation where every bad thing that happens in the area will now be blamed on the Iranians. It sickens me that a terrible thing happens but people want to jump on a bandwagon to make it something other than it was, a terrible accident.
Iran has admitted "unintentionally" shooting down a Ukrainian passenger jet, killing all 176 people on board.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:03 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:21 pm
I rest my case...now reports coming out that it was a technical failure. Pictures of a 'missile' are unconfirmed and highly dubious it seems. It looks like we are now in a situation where every bad thing that happens in the area will now be blamed on the Iranians. It sickens me that a terrible thing happens but people want to jump on a bandwagon to make it something other than it was, a terrible accident.
Perhaps in future you should ‘rest your case’ before you start posting. That way, you won’t look such a prick. It’s free advice so you can take it or leave it.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:27 pm

BennyD wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 pm
Accident? Bolloxcs.
Seems it was. And learn to spell.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1143 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:43 pm

Maybe they shot this board down as well

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:05 pm

houseboy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:27 pm
It was an accident regarding the shoot down, but not an accident regarding a technical problem as you pronounced. FWIW, I can spell perfectly well thank you, and well enough to beat the swear filter.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:25 pm

houseboy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:27 pm
Iran shot it out of the sky. Are you indenial Mullah boy?

Elbarad
Been Liked: 149 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by Elbarad » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:27 pm

Why admit you were wrong when you can point to a presumed spelling error to rest your case on?

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:17 pm

This might give some idea of the sort of conditions the Iranian missile crew had to deal with:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... ent-people

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:04 pm

Hipper wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:17 pm
This might give some idea of the sort of conditions the Iranian missile crew had to deal with:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... ent-people
That's an interesting article, and similar to a documentary on BBC iPlayer which looks at the shooting down of an Iranian airliner by a US destroyer in '87, insofar as those on the destroyer felt in danger of their lives, thinking they were dealing with an Iranian F14 Tomcat armed with Exocet missiles and then the aftermath where men were in tears at the consequences of their mistake.

The sabre rattling, and escalation of violence (on both sides) brought this awful thing about. Iran and the US should sit down and discuss their differences rather than fight proxy wars.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:46 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:25 pm
The plane from was clearly shot down by the inept Iranian military

Trump made the right decision killing the general and bringing out the Iranian rabble.

Iran has been interfering in the affairs of Middle Eastern countries and deserved their wings clipping and long may it continue

Lets hope Trump gets re elected then we can keep piece in the East
It's your third paragraph I have problems with. Most of the countries in the Middle East (and Iran is one of them) are interfering in the affairs of other Middle Eastern countries. Turkey, Israel, and Saudi Arabia are just as culpable as Iran in this. As was Syria, Libya, and Egypt in the past. The elephant in the room in all of this is our country and the US. We're the only countries to have invaded a country in the Middle East in the last twenty years. We can't cast judgement on other countries in the region without recognising our own shortcomings.

And as to Trump, who in 2011 tweeted many times that Obama would attack Iran in order to bolster his flagging ratings ahead of the election; killing a top Iranian general isn't going to bring about peace and reconciliation. In fact it legitimizes high level political assassination. Trump had a working deal with Iran when he took office, but perhaps because it was negotiated by Obama, he's chosen to repudiate it. If you want peace in the Middle East, then I doubt Trump is your man.
This user liked this post: Erasmus

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:20 am

Just got back and it’s late so: yes I was wrong about the missile. But at the time of posting there was no proof one way or the other so, with hindsight you have all had a go. It was, it appears, an accident but nevertheless a tragedy.
What I really like about all this is the almost religious verve some of you have with saying I told you so. Bet you couldn’t wait. We’ve all been wrong about things before but somehow the ones who shout loudest are the ones who are wrong most often.
Never mind eh.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 833 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:32 am

houseboy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:20 am
The ones who shout loudest are the ones who are wrong most often.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4186 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:46 am

I see good old Corbyn thinks it was a plane crash. That must be worth a few quid to his account from Iranian TV

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:06 am

The plane did crash and pretty much all news sources are describing it as a plane crash. On the other hand Johnson has described it as a tragic accident

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:05 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:06 am
The plane did crash and pretty much all news sources are describing it as a plane crash. On the other hand Johnson has described it as a tragic accident
Whatever you say. Or whatever you mean. Or whatever your obtuse point was. Or wasn't.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:32 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:46 pm
It's your third paragraph I have problems with. Most of the countries in the Middle East (and Iran is one of them) are interfering in the affairs of other Middle Eastern countries. Turkey, Israel, and Saudi Arabia are just as culpable as Iran in this. As was Syria, Libya, and Egypt in the past. The elephant in the room in all of this is our country and the US. We're the only countries to have invaded a country in the Middle East in the last twenty years. We can't cast judgement on other countries in the region without recognising our own shortcomings.

And as to Trump, who in 2011 tweeted many times that Obama would attack Iran in order to bolster his flagging ratings ahead of the election; killing a top Iranian general isn't going to bring about peace and reconciliation. In fact it legitimizes high level political assassination. Trump had a working deal with Iran when he took office, but perhaps because it was negotiated by Obama, he's chosen to repudiate it. If you want peace in the Middle East, then I doubt Trump is your man.
And of course we, the UK, were at the very instigation of the current Middle East set up post WW1, and the major issue at that time and since has been oil.

With global warming and the move to use less fossil fuels these countries, even the whole region, will not receive so much money and will be less important. How that pans out will be interesting.

There is a series on BBC World Service which tries to discus this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000d1yp

I have to say though that I wasn't impressed with the first episode which didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Maybe the next episodes will be more informative?

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:00 pm

Hipper wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:32 am
And of course we, the UK, were at the very instigation of the current Middle East set up post WW1, and the major issue at that time and since has been oil.

With global warming and the move to use less fossil fuels these countries, even the whole region, will not receive so much money and will be less important. How that pans out will be interesting.

There is a series on BBC World Service which tries to discus this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000d1yp

I have to say though that I wasn't impressed with the first episode which didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Maybe the next episodes will be more informative?
I'll have a listen.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:03 am
Remember there’s still a hell of a lot of people that think the whole 9/11 was a conspiracy and people that deny the Holocaust. I refuse to argue with that type of person
I’m not one for the conspiracies surrounding 9/11, but I will say this. I watched the BBC news report that WTC7 had collapsed when it was live (actually on TV in those days too) and then I watched the sky news cameras actually show the collapse half an hour later, also live. No one has explained that to any degree of satisfaction, and the BBC have destroyed the tapes (by accident, according to them). The point I am trying to make is there probably is a very good reason for what I saw, but it has not to this day been presented to me at all.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:38 am

Zlatan wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:17 pm
I’m not one for the conspiracies surrounding 9/11, but I will say this. I watched the BBC news report that WTC7 had collapsed when it was live (actually on TV in those days too) and then I watched the sky news cameras actually show the collapse half an hour later, also live. No one has explained that to any degree of satisfaction, and the BBC have destroyed the tapes (by accident, according to them). The point I am trying to make is there probably is a very good reason for what I saw, but it has not to this day been presented to me at all.
The BBC found the tapes well over a decade ago.

I love conspiracy theorists who can dream up the most convoluted, multi-agency, multi-governmental cover up theories involving thousands of people keeping it secret. Even though those same agencies and people who have kept it all but buried for 20 years couldn't co-ordinate the release of the information of their pre-planned destruction of WTC7.

But ask them to believe it might have all have been just a bit confusing that day and a rogue Reuters piece of information got passed along? Pffft! Who could believe that?

Remember, theorists; Jet fuel didn't kill Epstein.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 am

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:38 am
The BBC found the tapes well over a decade ago.
just done a quick search and found nothing - I dont suppose you could link something that confirms that. I'd like to see the tapes and see if it matches my recollection of the events.

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 am

https://youtu.be/A8FZKYobYGE

This is the reporter announcing WTC7 had collapsed while it is still standing behind her. It collapsed half an hour later. I'm no conspiracy theorist by the way, maybe the image behind her was a delayed feed?

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 am

SalouClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 am
https://youtu.be/A8FZKYobYGE

This is the reporter announcing WTC7 had collapsed while it is still standing behind her. It collapsed half an hour later. I'm no conspiracy theorist by the way, maybe the image behind her was a delayed feed?
No. They've admitted to getting it wrong. It came from a Reuters report that got passed on. I dunno... maybe it was a busy day on the news desk... I'm gonna go with that rather than standing in my tinfoil hat shouting "CONSPIRACY THEORY!"

Unless you just like believing this crap, it's almost literally beyond belief that these shadowy forces would put this thing together, kill 3,000 people, have the world's media there and then not only leak a visibly untrue detail that was part of your cunning master plan AND let the media stand in front of the evidence it was a lie.

Always ask, "Cui The Edge?"

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:59 am

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 am
just done a quick search and found nothing - I dont suppose you could link something that confirms that. I'd like to see the tapes and see if it matches my recollection of the events.
But it could just be something the BBC edited so it wouldn't be any kind of proof.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:25 am

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:59 am
But it could just be something the BBC edited so it wouldn't be any kind of proof.
indeed - I agree, which is why I am inclined to believe my own recollection of the event and what I saw that day from the live news feeds. I stated above that I'm no conspiracy theorist and I'm not. It has made me recall an episode of the more recent X-Files reboot where Fake News is used to hide the truth in plain sight ;)

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:37 am

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:25 am
indeed - I agree, which is why I am inclined to believe my own recollection of the event and what I saw that day from the live news feeds. I stated above that I'm no conspiracy theorist and I'm not. It has made me recall an episode of the more recent X-Files reboot where Fake News is used to hide the truth in plain sight ;)
Your recollection is demonstrably correct and has never been contradicted.