Transfer policy - built for the championship

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Transfer policy - built for the championship

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:06 pm

Looks like Brownhill is likely incoming. A decent player at that level at a decent club.

But I cant help but feel if we keep signing championship players we will end up in... well the championship! We signed the best Championship player from West Brom, Derby, Middlesbrough and none of them have improved the first 11.

The last player we signed from the Premier League was our reserve keeper. Who was the last regular first teamer we signed from a Premier League side?

People will say we cant afford to shop in the Premier League, but this is where we need to look at equivalent leagues outside of England. Injuries aside Defour was streets ahead of anything we have seen here in years.

The strategy of buying Championship players is one thats paying off less and less. So we cant even say they are 'better value' as Vydra, Wells, Gibson, Rodriguez, Crouch offer little to nothing anyway!

A marquee signing is needed for a number of reasons!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8427 times
Has Liked: 18096 times

Re: Transfer policy - built for the championship

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:08 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:06 pm
https://www.your-marquee.co.uk/?gclid=C ... OAQAvD_BwE

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:10 pm

Looks like Brownhill is likely incoming. A decent player at that level at a decent club.

But I cant help but feel if we keep signing championship players we will end up in... well the championship! We signed the best Championship player from West Brom, Derby, Middlesbrough and none of them have improved the first 11.

The last player we signed from the Premier League was our reserve keeper. Who was the last regular first teamer we signed from a Premier League side?

People will say we cant afford to shop in the Premier League, but this is where we need to look at equivalent leagues outside of England. Injuries aside Defour was streets ahead of anything we have seen here in years.

The strategy of buying Championship players is one thats paying off less and less. So we cant even say they are 'better value' as Vydra, Wells, Gibson, Rodriguez, Crouch offer little to nothing anyway!

It's a policy that has kept us in the Prem for four season, with a good chance of a fifth. Buying overseas players did the likes of Huddersfield a fat lot of good.
These 4 users liked this post: LeadBelly Bosscat Holtyclaret evensteadiereddie

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8427 times
Has Liked: 18096 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:14 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:10 pm
It's a policy that has kept us in the Prem for four season, with a good chance of a fifth. Buying overseas players did the likes of Huddersfield a fat lot of good.
And Fulham etc etc etc....

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:14 pm

I think there are a good number of Championship players who can make the step up if they are given the chance (e.g. Pope, JBG, Tarkowski).

Just hope we get some reinforcements in soon
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Bosscat

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:26 pm

Plenty of good players in the Championship who are more than capable of playing in the PL. Wasn't Grealish playing in their last season. Didn't Leicester sign Maddison from Norwich when they were in the Championship?
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank Bosscat JohnDearyMe

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 998 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:46 pm

We've already got a recent "We have been building for the Championship for a few seasons" thread; now a "Transfer policy- built for the championship" thread.

I'm proper looking forward to the "tactics- built for the Championship" and " Management structure building towards the Championship" variants. Let's maximise the griping opportunities, there aren't enough currently.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:49 pm

Makes sense then to buy a team of players from the qualifying rounds of the champions league
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank houseboy

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:02 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:49 pm
Makes sense then to buy a team of players from the qualifying rounds of the champions league
But Dundalk, New Saints and Linfield have all refused us permission.... what is plan c?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:04 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:02 pm
But Dundalk, New Saints and Linfield have all refused us permission.... what is plan c?
Then we move onto F91 Dudelange and their star midfielder :D

Fretters
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by Fretters » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:05 pm

Who was the last regular first teamer we signed from a Premier League side?
Jack Cork, I think?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:08 pm

just my opinion of course, but we are very much a Championship club that got extremely lucky to find a manager who some how managed to put together an ultra competitive team on a budget to not only win us promotion twice but has managed against all the odds to keep us in the PL.

We will go down at some point, quite probably this season, it doesn't bother me in the slightest what division we are in - I'd just like to see us play better football and if the best league for us to do that in is the Championship then so be it.
These 3 users liked this post: houseboy Burnley1989 claretfern

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Cork, Westwood, Lennon, Bardsley, Lowton, Hart.
All played in Premier league teams, the majority of other signings came from the Championship. Realistically lower end prem players, top to mid championship players and either youth on loan is always going to be how it is.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:24 pm

Let's offer West Ham £50m for Haller, only right they should expect a profit on their latest star striker.

What about Martial at Man Utd, he isn't a regular starter, probably be able to beat them down to £65m

Maybe take Dunk from Brighton, they only expect £60m for him.

What about Drinkwater from Chelsea.. ooh hang on
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:28 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:10 pm
I take your point but I don't think many believe that we have a 'good' chance of a 5th at the moment. CFC does have a point, it is what many have said before.

I'm not sure we need a marquee on the pitch though, it'll tend to get in the way a bit. (sorry CFC, couldn't resist).

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:32 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:14 pm
I think there are a good number of Championship players who can make the step up if they are given the chance (e.g. Pope, JBG, Tarkowski).

Just hope we get some reinforcements in soon
Of those three though only one really made the team fairly quickly. We need NOW players who can hit the ground running without having to face the dreaded Dyche fitness test (whatever that is).

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:39 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:08 pm
just my opinion of course, but we are very much a Championship club that got extremely lucky to find a manager who some how managed to put together an ultra competitive team on a budget to not only win us promotion twice but has managed against all the odds to keep us in the PL.

We will go down at some point, quite probably this season, it doesn't bother me in the slightest what division we are in - I'd just like to see us play better football and if the best league for us to do that in is the Championship then so be it.
Pretty much my belief too. I would like us to survive and play in the top division but the stuff we are playing to stay in it is pretty dire really. The only real entertainment is coming from the opposition and that ain't what I support the club for. One enjoyable game in ten is not great really.

Still what will be will be.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:48 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:28 pm
I take your point but I don't think many believe that we have a 'good' chance of a 5th at the moment. CFC does have a point, it is what many have said before.

I'm not sure we need a marquee on the pitch though, it'll tend to get in the way a bit. (sorry CFC, couldn't resist).
If our chance of stopping up isnt good what is your definition of a "good chance"?

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:05 pm

If we had signed Ollie Watkins from Exeter City would we have been building for League 2?

If Sheffield United steal Brownhill from under our noses are they building for the Championship?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:48 pm
If our chance of stopping up isnt good what is your definition of a "good chance"?
I suppose it would have to be not being in freefall when most of your rivals are picking up.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:41 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 pm
I suppose it would have to be not being in freefall when most of your rivals are picking up.
Aside from Watford which other teams are picking up points?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:47 pm

A marquee signing like who ?

You forgot to mention a few players we signed from the championship when you did your list. Funnily enough it’s the ones who have done well, some gone on to play for England and now worth a hell of a lot more than what paid for them. Guess it must have slipped your mind !

In all seriousness there is no wrong or right way - championship, foreign players, experienced premier league player, marquee signing etc

For every good example you give of any of these bought by us or any other team it’s very easy to counter the argument and give you bad examples - and vice versa.

So at the end of the day it comes down to what you are prepared to spend in whatever markets you choose to shop in on a player you think will improve your squad / team.

All sounds very simple - and we know it’s anything but !
This user liked this post: Bosscat

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:49 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:41 pm
Southampton. West Ham are more consistent than us just now. Not to mention Villa actually beating us...at home. In fact despite being tubbed by City at weekend Villa have won 2 out of their last 5. The only teams below us in the form table are the bottom two, Bournemouth and Norwich, so really just about every one of our rivals (and actually EVERY one outside the bottom two).

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:44 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:49 pm
Southampton. West Ham are more consistent than us just now. Not to mention Villa actually beating us...at home. In fact despite being tubbed by City at weekend Villa have won 2 out of their last 5. The only teams below us in the form table are the bottom two, Bournemouth and Norwich, so really just about every one of our rivals (and actually EVERY one outside the bottom two).
If you look at the current form guide (six matches tends to be the industry standard) as it reflects the most recent form then you see we are no better or worse than our current rivals for relegation.
Attachments
form.jpg
form.jpg (466.7 KiB) Viewed 2518 times

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:52 pm

MrTopTier wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:11 pm
Cork, Westwood, Lennon, Bardsley, Lowton, Hart.
All played in Premier league teams, the majority of other signings came from the Championship. Realistically lower end prem players, top to mid championship players and either youth on loan is always going to be how it is.
Cork. Westwood. Bardsley. All signed from the championship. Lennon and Hart backup squad players.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:52 pm

JohnMac wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:24 pm
Let's offer West Ham £50m for Haller, only right they should expect a profit on their latest star striker.

What about Martial at Man Utd, he isn't a regular starter, probably be able to beat them down to £65m

Maybe take Dunk from Brighton, they only expect £60m for him.

What about Drinkwater from Chelsea.. ooh hang on
Other top flight leagues are available.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:58 pm

Jack Cork certainly came from a PL side. Swansea went down the summer after they'd sold him to us.

If we do sign players from other PL teams they'll likely be older players, and their wages will be high. We're trying to lower our wage bill as we've got very little money available.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:04 pm

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:52 pm
Cork. Westwood. Bardsley. All signed from the championship.
You're not often right, but you're wrong again.

Swansea and Stoke were both relegated the season after we signed Cork and Bardsley from them.

Clarinetclaret
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Clarinetclaret » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:41 pm
Are you deliberately being thick? If you dont see our form as relegation form then you really need a brain transplant for one that actually works.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:27 pm

Clarinetclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 pm
Are you deliberately being thick? If you dont see our form as relegation form then you really need a brain transplant for one that actually works.
The point is it's no worse than Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham, Villa, Bournemouth or Norwich.

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by thomaspaine » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Policy worked out ok so far. More of the same please.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:53 am

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:44 pm
If you look at the current form guide (six matches tends to be the industry standard) as it reflects the most recent form then you see we are no better or worse than our current rivals for relegation.
I don't disagree we still have a good chance of survival, and we always fail to remember how quick things can turn around. But that form table does also show we're the only team to have lost 4 on the bounce, it's a while since we looked like a team with any sort of form. With our current run of fixtures as they are with a few injuries, it's reasonable to expect a lot of people will not be feeling great about our prospects.

But, this can so easily happen in the premier league and it's not the first time we've had similar runs of form. I'm still confident we'll find a way to accrue enough points.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:32 am

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:44 pm
I was looking at the official PL form table that counts the last 5 games and that puts us in the bottom 3 just above Norwich and Bournemouth and just behind West Ham on goal difference. And form is not just about the cold stats on a page, look at the performances, we have been absolutely awful with no sign at all of it ending. The low point (hopefully) was our loss to Villa - they outplayed us at home and fully deserved to win - and they are sh!te.

I don't want to argue the point overly bud and by nature I am generally up-beat about things, and only a couple of weeks ago I was still saying things will be fine, but now I am not so sure.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:25 pm

We've done pretty well from signing plyers released from the local big city clubs. These are not Championship players. I'm sure we must be looking at who the Manchester clubs and Liverpiol are releasing.