Ben Mee

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Re: Ben Mee

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:25 pm

Right_winger wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:15 pm
Clearly... he’s horribly limited and always worth at least 1 big mistake a game. A bombscare of a player.
That's well over the top. Yes, he has the occasional blip, if he didn't he wouldn't be at BFC. On the plus side, he's a fantastically committed performer for us.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:18 pm
I know it's fashionable among a certain type of supporter, at all clubs, to pick a player to hate and boo no matter what he does. But Ben Mee? Really?
He's no where near the "boo boy".
Jeff, Lowton, and Brady to name just a few are way ahead if him if you're trying to push that tag

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1512 times

Post by Goodclaret » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:13 pm
But it's all academic as he'll never be dropped because Dyche doesn't want to, and doesn't fancy Gibson anyway.
Isn't it as simple as Dyche thinking Mee is a better player? I have a feeling SD has more of an idea of the pros and cons of Mee and Gibson than a fan who has barely seen Gibson play?! It's a bit like Vydra, thinking he's the best player ever although we haven't seen any evidence of it at all?

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:29 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:24 pm
So you believe Ben Mee has been in that good a form , hes never once been below par enough for Ben Gibson to be given a chance?

So either
A. You dont attend games and haven't see Ben Mre have a dip in form
B. You lack football knowledge

Either way I respect your opinion.
Youd be hard pressed to find a fan that thinks either

A Ben Mee has been in far to greater form to be dropped
B. Ben Gibson hasnt deserved a chance in the side.
I have no idea whether Ben Gibson deserves a place in the side, because I don't watch training at all. Presumably you do. How is he training? Or at least, how was he training before his injury?
This user liked this post: TVC15

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:31 pm

I hope Mee stays with us until he retires if I’m honest, yes I’d like an improvement one day but Ben Mee is someone you always want around your squad.

He’s been one of the best centre half’s we’ve had in the last 40 years I’d say
This user liked this post: Bosscat

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:31 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 pm
Isn't it as simple as Dyche thinking Mee is a better player? I have a feeling SD has more of an idea of the pros and cons of Mee and Gibson than a fan who has barely seen Gibson play?! It's a bit like Vydra, thinking he's the best player ever although we haven't seen any evidence of it at all?
Player hits poor form and is dropped for other player (who is actually the joint record signing, so you'd assume is at least capable of playing)

It's not really all that controversial when you think about it, is it?

Dyche makes the decisions and then we can discuss it. Again, not really that controversial.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:36 pm

We have some proper melts supporting our club.
We beat a top 3 team with more resources than we can dream of....bringing off their bench today a £40m midfielder and a £25m striker....and still we have fans who feel the need to start or contribute to threads criticising one of our players.

So Ben Mee got out paced for the first goal - which should have been a foul on Cork and then got beat for pace by one of the leading strikers in Europe this season. He made our goal and captained a winning team.
Anybody who thinks we win that game without him is talking utter sh-ite. Based on what evidence in the last 3 years do they think Gibson would fair better ?
These 4 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie tiger76 spadesclaret longsidepies

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:37 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:29 pm
I have no idea whether Ben Gibson deserves a place in the side, because I don't watch training at all. Presumably you do. How is he training? Or at least, how was he training before his injury?
You presumed wrong.
I dont know.

But on a side note, he doesnt even deserve a chance because Ben Mee has been in such fine form for 18 months.

Thank goodness Ben Mee was eventually moved from LB even though he was evidently playing so well.... no one even so he was out of position until it happened..... oh wait

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:38 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:36 pm
We beat a top 3 team with more resources than we can dream of....bringing off their bench today a £40m midfielder and a £25m striker....and still we have fans who feel the need to start or contribute to threads criticising one of our players.

So Ben Mee got out paced for the first goal - which should have been a foul on Cork and then got beat for pace by one of the leading strikers in Europe this season. He made our goal and captained a winning team.
Anybody who thinks we win that game without him is talking utter sh-ite. Based on what evidence in the last 3 years do they think Gibson would fair better ?
Spot on!
Nail on head

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:39 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:29 pm
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dyche makes decisions and then fans discuss those decisions. It's what occurs on forums for football fans, both in pubs and on internet forums.

If you don't agree stick up for Ben Mee's performances, but don't start sarcastically having a go at people for not having seen training. It doesn't add anything to the debate.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:39 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:31 pm
Player hits poor form and is dropped for other player (who is actually the joint record signing, so you'd assume is at least capable of playing)

Dyche makes the decisions and then we can discuss it. Again, not really that controversial.
Or you can assume that someone who has been injured and hardly played in 2 years is not as good as the person who he decides to make his captain....

Goodclaret

Post by Goodclaret » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:39 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:31 pm

No, not controversial at all. All I'm saying is Dyche must think Mee is the better of the two players. Joint record signing is irrelevant - yes I'm sure Gibson isn't an awful player but he has to be much better than Mee to get him out of the team. Mee has made some mistakes this season but he also gives so much to our team and, clearly, Dyche thinks Gibson wouldn't add more to us. Again, WE don't really know how good Gibson is but SD works with him every day so I trust his opinion.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:39 pm
No, not controversial at all. All I'm saying is Dyche must think Mee is the better of the two players. Joint record signing is irrelevant - yes I'm sure Gibson isn't an awful player but he has to be much better than Mee to get him out of the team. Mee has made some mistakes this season but he also gives so much to our team and, clearly, Dyche thinks Gibson wouldn't add more to us. Again, WE don't really know how good Gibson is but SD works with him every day so I trust his opinion.
Fully agree. I just don't go in for all this 'Dyche knows best so don't question anything' rubbish that has crept in to this thread. One of the best things about football is the difference of opinions. If the manager it always seen to know best and anyone saying otherwise is arrogant you miss out on that.
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:45 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:39 pm
He also thought he was a better LB than Ward for way too long.
What happened when he was all but forced to give Ward a chance.

He doesnt get everything right 100% of the time you know...

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:49 pm

TVC15 wrote:

Just because we won doesn't mean players Carnt be criticised, brilliant win, but, some players were better than others, it's always been that way, for every team. Mee was poor today, so I'll say so, he might be fantastic on Wednesday, if he is, I'll say so, is that OK?

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:50 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:37 pm
You presumed wrong.
I dont know.

But on a side note, he doesnt even deserve a chance because Ben Mee has been in such fine form for 18 months.

Thank goodness Ben Mee was eventually moved from LB even though he was evidently playing so well.... no one even so he was out of position until it happened..... oh wait
It just seems a bit like the Drinkwater thing. Plenty of people on here were saying that Drinkwater should be in the side ahead of Cork and/or Westwell because he was clearly the better player and that Dyche should be picking him. Now, Dyche hadn't seen any more of Drinkwater playing first team football over the last 2+ seasons than any of us. But what he had seen in training led him to believe that Drinkwater did not deserve a place in the team. Was he wrong? Drinkwater's form for Villa isn't proving him wrong at present.

It's the same with Gibson. He played well for Middlesbrough a couple of years back, so I'm told. Is that enough to mean he should play now? Is it enough to prove beyond doubt that he should play now?

The sum of your posts on this thread amount to "I haven't seen Gibson play, but from what I haven't seen I know that he is so very very good that Sean Dyche agrees with me, and the only reason Dyche doesn't pick him is because he's a coward." To have strong opinions like that should be based on a bit more than "he was good two years ago".

claret10
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by claret10 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:02 pm

I always find it funny when certain players get picked up for things that others don't.

Yes Ben Mee has his limitiations...he wouldn't have stayed with us for so long if he didn't....but he makes a lot less "mistakes" than the guy directly to the right of him who often lets runners go (for Mee who is a better defender to try and cover)

Goodclaret

Post by Goodclaret » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:02 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:45 pm
He also thought he was a better LB than Ward for way too long.
What happened when he was all but forced to give Ward a chance.

He doesnt get everything right 100% of the time you know...
Absolutely MACCA. I don't want to come across as that, saying SD gets it all right all of the time. I just feel Mee has proved he is an extremely competent PL defender and some of the attacks on him in this thread are way off target. Gibson mustn't have shown anything, in all the training sessions, to indicate he could perform better than Mee. Who knows eh? :)

Anyway, I ain't arguing on a day we've just beaten a top team. Have a good evening fella!

Boydesque
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Boydesque » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:02 pm

Someone would give cork the captaincy
He shouldn’t be even playing
This user liked this post: Greeny

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2216 times
Has Liked: 2204 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:09 pm

Wasn't it Tarkowski who people were saying should be dropped last week?

Some real belmtards on here!
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:10 pm

Ben Mee has been very consistent over the years. If he’s done for pace the odd time or has the odd poor game I’d still prefer him in the side generally. Course he has limitations but makes up for it in other ways. Very committed player. A fine servant and one player who deserves a bit more respect maybe.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:11 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:50 pm
It just seems a bit like the Drinkwater thing. Plenty of people on here were saying that Drinkwater should be in the side ahead of Cork and/or Westwell because he was clearly the better player and that Dyche should be picking him. Now, Dyche hadn't seen any more of Drinkwater playing first team football over the last 2+ seasons than any of us. But what he had seen in training led him to believe that Drinkwater did not deserve a place in the team. Was he wrong? Drinkwater's form for Villa isn't proving him wrong at present.

It's the same with Gibson. He played well for Middlesbrough a couple of years back, so I'm told. Is that enough to mean he should play now? Is it enough to prove beyond doubt that he should play now?

The sum of your posts on this thread amount to "I haven't seen Gibson play, but from what I haven't seen I know that he is so very very good that Sean Dyche agrees with me, and the only reason Dyche doesn't pick him is because he's a coward." To have strong opinions like that should be based on a bit more than "he was good two years ago".
Maybe some people take an interest in football outside of Burnley FC and saw how good he was for Boro? And I don't think anyone is asking for him to come in and play every week, just that it might be worth giving him a chance?

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:12 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:09 pm
Wasn't it Tarkowski who people were saying should be dropped last week?

Some real belmtards on here!
Let's try and keep this as a debate between adults. No need for childish insults.

If you look carefully there are some considered comments both for and against.

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 251 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:13 pm

My opinion - he has one mistake a game in him

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:14 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:12 pm
Let's try and keep this as a debate between adults. No need for childish insults.

If you look carefully there are some considered comments both for and against.
Yes, I'm aware of that, Mr. Pooby pants.

:P

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:15 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:49 pm
Just because we won doesn't mean players Carnt be criticised, brilliant win, but, some players were better than others, it's always been that way, for every team. Mee was poor today, so I'll say so, he might be fantastic on Wednesday, if he is, I'll say so, is that OK?
Yep you do what you want - and I’ll say what I want about it....is that ok ?

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Eloise Laws wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:13 pm
My opinion - he has one mistake a game in him
Like every player in the world, then?

:roll:

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:19 pm

Don’t really think people understand how quick the likes of Barnes and Vardy are. It was more rapid good play from them than particularly poor from Ben.

The goal is when we are essentially 2 on 2 from a foul and the pen is pure speed from Barnes. I’m sure Ben will be disappointed but some of the comments on here are embarrassing. He has had a good season and is one of the two best centre backs in the squad.

Sozturf7
Been Liked: 89 times

Post by Sozturf7 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:26 pm

Some of the negative comments on here are unbelievable. But I suppose I should understand that some of the comments are from people that know ablolutely nothing about football.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:09 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:50 pm

Think you've quoted the wrong person...

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:27 pm

Ben Mee will still be starting for us even when he's 46. Get used to it!

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 773 times
Has Liked: 1427 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:32 pm

Love Ben Mee, an absolute warrior for Burnley.

However, and by no means is this a deal breaker for me but I do feel that the armband adds a bit of pressure to his game, not just this season. I also like a captain that hands out a few bollockings during a game- I don’t see this from Ben.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:39 pm

Our result of the season and someone dives in instantly with this comment. Vardy & Barnes have caused most defences problems this season. Lets rejoice in an unexpected and welcomed 3 points
This user liked this post: longsidepies

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:47 am

MACCA wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:09 pm
Think you've quoted the wrong person...
No, it was definitely you who said that Dyche isn't a brave manager.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:50 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:11 pm
Maybe some people take an interest in football outside of Burnley FC and saw how good he was for Boro? And I don't think anyone is asking for him to come in and play every week, just that it might be worth giving him a chance?
Dyche didn't pick Drinkwater on the strength of his performances for Leicester, and he won't pick Gibson on the strength of his performances for Middlesbrough.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:59 am

Midfield is more pressing, given we were caught in possession and gave away a sloppy goal again.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:37 am

The usual we are a small club pinching a live our weigh and we should be happy to have a club brigade as per usual sniping at people who can see things how they are. Take
You claret tinted specs off. Ben Mee wouldn’t get a start at any other premier league club. He’s too slow and not comfortable on the ball.. that in this day and age pretty much makes him not up to it especially at this level.

The game is all about speed and being comfortable with the ball in tight areas being able to stay composed under pressure and thread the ball to a team mate. Even without pressure his passes are hopeful hoofs.

Committed and aggressive in the challenge, yes. That’s all he has. Reminds me of Gary Caldwell, very similar player.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:02 am

Right_winger wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:37 am
The usual we are a small club pinching a live our weigh and we should be happy to have a club brigade as per usual sniping at people who can see things how they are. Take
You claret tinted specs off. Ben Mee wouldn’t get a start at any other premier league club. He’s too slow and not comfortable on the ball.. that in this day and age pretty much makes him not up to it especially at this level.

The game is all about speed and being comfortable with the ball in tight areas being able to stay composed under pressure and thread the ball to a team mate. Even without pressure his passes are hopeful hoofs.

Committed and aggressive in the challenge, yes. That’s all he has. Reminds me of Gary Caldwell, very similar player.
to be honest, there are only two PL CD's that are in that "top class can do everything" category and even in that there is one who is head and shoulders above the other. Your description of Mee could be applied to pretty much the majority of the rest, all bang average, some good games and some not so.

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:36 am

mikeS wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:47 pm
Thought Ben had a good game today.
What!

Goodclaret

Post by Goodclaret » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:45 am

Bloody hell. Has Ben Mee slept with Right_wingers wife/husband? I've never seen so much hatred to such a fantastic player?!
These 2 users liked this post: deanothedino Bosscat

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1881 times
Has Liked: 839 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:08 am

Right_winger wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:37 am

Odd how the stats don’t back up your theory of him ‘not being good enough for this level’. Have you spoken to the other managers at this level about him not getting a start at any other club?

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:22 am

Richardsbfc wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:16 pm
Been a liability for sometime now. Today proved how far off the pace he is.

The captaincy looks to seriously affect him (last season as well as this).

Time to give Gibson a run out? Certainly couldnt do any worse than Mee today.
Yes, he looked incredibly affected by the captaincy when he lead us to Europe.

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:24 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:08 am
Odd how the stats don’t back up your theory of him ‘not being good enough for this level’. Have you spoken to the other managers at this level about him not getting a start at any other club?
Ben - Sorry gaffer i'm not signing a new contract think i'll try my luck elsewhere.
Sean - But nobody else wants you.
Ben - Pass me the pen gaffer.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 am

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:59 am
Midfield is more pressing, given we were caught in possession and gave away a sloppy goal again.
Ignoring the fact he was hacked down obviously

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:02 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:47 am
No, it was definitely you who said that Dyche isn't a brave manager.
You quoted someone saying they thought SD was a "coward" I didnt say that, so you've either made something up or quoted the wrong person.

But for ease I'll say you're opinion is the right one and you are correct.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:39 am

Ben Mee could easily have cost us the game yesterday had it not been for a penalty save from Pope and VAR somehow missing a very clear handball. Let's not pretend he or the performance was wonderful.

We were much better than we have been and got that little bit of luck that you need to help get out of a slump sometimes.

I wouldn't drop Mee yet but he should be looking over his shoulder as should any other player when they aren't performing. More important for me would be dropping / signing a replacement for Jack Cork who is way below his best at the moment and putting more pressure on Mee than is needed by getting caught in possession, giving it away with sloppy passing and not having the pace to get back / cover the defence as he should be.

ClaretRock
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by ClaretRock » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:53 am

deanothedino wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 am
Think alot of things are being ignored for this to even be a thread :roll:

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18204 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:59 am

TVC15 wrote:

/\ what TVC said /\

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:24 pm

deanothedino wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 am
That's irrelevant, he shouldn't be in a position where an opposing player can make that challenge in our half. Him and Westwood have cost us goals from those positions.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Ben Mee is nothing more than an old fashioned stopper, he's a limited player who has to be fair served us well.

The problem that Ben Mee has is that when he stops stopping, he becomes a liability and far too often in the last 18 months that has been the case.

I would have liked to have seen Gibson given a go but it seems that may not happen. As pointed out above, when we moved Mee from left back to centre half things improved dramatically, what's to say the same won't happen should we replace him with Gibson?