M65

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Post Reply
Hopey1786
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:02 am
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 10 times

M65

Post by Hopey1786 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:31 pm

Currently stuck near blackburn towards burnley

Standstill for 40 mins so far. Anybody know whats happend other than the obvious

Darthlaw
Posts: 1957
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:08 pm
Been Liked: 837 times
Has Liked: 303 times
Location: Death Star, Dark Side Row S Seat 666

Re: M65

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:34 pm

Standard nightly crash, no doubt.

Jokes aside, that’s the second this week so far.

tim_noone
Posts: 14764
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3801 times
Has Liked: 13087 times

Re: M65

Post by tim_noone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:35 pm

Light a Hamlet...and chill.

Billy Balfour
Posts: 1748
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 3:00 pm
Been Liked: 716 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Re: M65

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:36 pm

Minor collision and ambulance on its way.

Nonayforever
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:15 pm
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Re: M65

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:43 pm

Massive jam on there yesterday. It must have been about a 3 mile tailback.

bfcjg
Posts: 6425
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 pm
Been Liked: 2466 times
Has Liked: 2416 times

Re: M65

Post by bfcjg » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:51 pm

Idiots driving to fast ridiculous lighting making junctions dangerous and traffic backing up from the network 65 junction is the perfect recipe for all these crashes. I was stuck in last night's 4 cars and all caused by the last car smashing into the car in front.

dougcollins
Posts: 2436
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 am
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 664 times
Location: Yarkshire

Re: M65

Post by dougcollins » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:01 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:51 pm
Idiots driving to fast ridiculous lighting making junctions dangerous and traffic backing up from the network 65 junction is the perfect recipe for all these crashes. I was stuck in last night's 4 cars and all caused by the last car smashing into the car in front.
What you on about, turning the lights off has saved loads.

Hasn't it?

Hopey1786
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:02 am
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Re: M65

Post by Hopey1786 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:07 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:36 pm
Minor collision and ambulance on its way.
Minor..

3 cars were smashed to bits!

wilks_bfc
Posts: 6113
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:33 pm
Been Liked: 1806 times
Has Liked: 901 times
Contact:

Re: M65

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:18 pm

Hopey1786 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:07 pm
Minor..

3 cars were smashed to bits!

Tbf the report from highways agency says minor

ClaretAndJew
Posts: 6827
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 463 times
Location: Earth

Re: M65

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:26 pm

I was In a 4 car pile up in November 2017 including a Fiat 500 who's boot was half way up the car.

The lass driving got out uninjured.

Van driver who caused it flipped his vehicle and had to break out through his windscreen.

Classed as a minor collision.

Spike
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:07 pm
Been Liked: 379 times
Has Liked: 810 times

Re: M65

Post by Spike » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:30 pm

Hopey1786 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:31 pm
Currently stuck near blackburn towards burnley

Standstill for 40 mins so far. Anybody know whats happend other than the obvious
It’s a place of misery

Hopey1786
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:02 am
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Re: M65

Post by Hopey1786 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:30 am

Its a disaster again this morning

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 19362
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 7540 times
Has Liked: 10412 times

Re: M65

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:25 am

It’s in the news about putting the lights back on. We can only hope.

Blackrod
Posts: 5139
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:41 pm
Been Liked: 1347 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Re: M65

Post by Blackrod » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:28 am

It’s a struggle to see on there at night. Don’t know how the cars speeding and tailgating with heavily tinted windows manage.

houseboy
Posts: 5583
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1651 times
Has Liked: 1283 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: M65

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:43 am

Not helped by fog last night and this morning. The county council should be forced to put the lights back on - accidents are becoming a regular occurence. I know it's the driver's fault ultimately but not everyone in an accident is to blame, it only takes one.

karatekid
Posts: 2081
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:22 pm
Been Liked: 783 times
Has Liked: 231 times

Re: M65

Post by karatekid » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:06 am

The lights haven't just been switched off, they have been taken down. To put them back up would cost a fortune, so no chance.

I can't see why they couldn't leave them up and just switch them off, say, between midnight and 5am when it is quieter to save money.

Zlatan
Posts: 2044
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:06 pm
Been Liked: 704 times
Has Liked: 1795 times

Re: M65

Post by Zlatan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:10 am

houseboy wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:43 am
Not helped by fog last night and this morning. The county council should be forced to put the lights back on - accidents are becoming a regular occurence. I know it's the driver's fault ultimately but not everyone in an accident is to blame, it only takes one.
You've highlighted the exact issue. If I am driving as safely as I can and within the rules and guidelines highlighted previously by the self righteous posters who have commented on this issue previously I can still be hit by someone else who is not driving as safely as I am. The increase in accidents is reason enough to get the lighting switched back on.

Zlatan
Posts: 2044
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:06 pm
Been Liked: 704 times
Has Liked: 1795 times

Re: M65

Post by Zlatan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:11 am

karatekid wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:06 am
The lights haven't just been switched off, they have been taken down. To put them back up would cost a fortune, so no chance.

I can't see why they couldn't leave them up and just switch them off, say, between midnight and 5am when it is quieter to save money.
I am certain that it would be possible to replace them with low energy equivalents fairly easily - they wont have ripped out the infrastructure when they took the lights down, and if they did then someone should swing for it.

dougcollins
Posts: 2436
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 am
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 664 times
Location: Yarkshire

Re: M65

Post by dougcollins » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:17 am

Saving money in one area (turning off the lights) costing more in another - Emergency services, NHS etc, not to mention the human cost.
The area that is saving money by switching out the lights isn't concerned about the other part.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Darthlaw
Posts: 1957
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:08 pm
Been Liked: 837 times
Has Liked: 303 times
Location: Death Star, Dark Side Row S Seat 666

Re: M65

Post by Darthlaw » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:23 am

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:11 am
I am certain that it would be possible to replace them with low energy equivalents fairly easily - they wont have ripped out the infrastructure when they took the lights down, and if they did then someone should swing for it.
Might be wrong but I'm sure that I heard the infrastructure is in a state of disrepair since they switched the lights off however long ago. In essence, the cabling wasn't maintained and now the costs to reestablish the lighting would be ridiculous.

Lord Beamish
Posts: 4845
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 3295 times
Has Liked: 2452 times

Re: M65

Post by Lord Beamish » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:31 am

Darthlaw wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:23 am
Might be wrong but I'm sure that I heard the infrastructure is in a state of disrepair since they switched the lights off however long ago. In essence, the cabling wasn't maintained and now the costs to reestablish the lighting would be ridiculous.
I’d be surpried if the cabling was even there in some places. Large sections of the Central reservations were dug up and replaced with those concrete barriers. Unless new ducting was put in place to “future-proof” the road, I think that re-establishing lighting is going to be ridiculously expensive and disruptive.

Hopey1786
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:02 am
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Re: M65

Post by Hopey1786 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:36 am

If i was going old trafford id be setting off well before tea time

Zlatan
Posts: 2044
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:06 pm
Been Liked: 704 times
Has Liked: 1795 times

Re: M65

Post by Zlatan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:42 am

Darthlaw wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:23 am
Might be wrong but I'm sure that I heard the infrastructure is in a state of disrepair since they switched the lights off however long ago. In essence, the cabling wasn't maintained and now the costs to reestablish the lighting would be ridiculous.
then someone needs to swing for it

Billy Balfour
Posts: 1748
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 3:00 pm
Been Liked: 716 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Re: M65

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:40 pm

Hopey1786 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:07 pm
Minor..

3 cars were smashed to bits!
You asked what was happening so I looked at Highways Agency Twitter account and searched for an update on the M65 and passed on the relivant info to you. So sorry I wasn't there in person to give you a running commentary.

Billy Balfour
Posts: 1748
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 3:00 pm
Been Liked: 716 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Re: M65

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:41 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:18 pm
Tbf the report from highways agency says minor
Yep. Cheers, Wilks.

Belial
Posts: 995
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 pm
Been Liked: 251 times
Has Liked: 152 times
Location: On a crazy train

Re: M65

Post by Belial » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:45 pm

Blackrod wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:28 am
It’s a struggle to see on there at night. Don’t know how the cars speeding and tailgating with heavily tinted windows manage.
Luck probably

CoolClaret
Posts: 1150
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 7:39 pm
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 486 times

Re: M65

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:47 pm

Yup dreadful this morning & always has ramifications on other areas - the Grane road was backed up all the way to the turn off for it on the A56, also approaching Guide if you try to join the '65 via the back roads from Haslingden...

Absolute nightmare

houseboy
Posts: 5583
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1651 times
Has Liked: 1283 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: M65

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:12 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:17 am
Saving money in one area (turning off the lights) costing more in another - Emergency services, NHS etc, not to mention the human cost.
The area that is saving money by switching out the lights isn't concerned about the other part.
Good point. Absolutely true.

Hopey1786
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:02 am
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Re: M65

Post by Hopey1786 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:26 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:40 pm
You asked what was happening so I looked at Highways Agency Twitter account and searched for an update on the M65 and passed on the relivant info to you. So sorry I wasn't there in person to give you a running commentary.
Your reply is minor
I saw it

FulledgeClaret
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:25 pm
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 73 times

Re: M65

Post by FulledgeClaret » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Somebody I know who was stuck in this said the accident happened where the motorway is lit.
still no getting away from the fact it was a stupid idea to take the lights out completely and while they were at it make a mess of the drainage which has been scheduled to be improved. surely it would have been better and cheaper to leave the lights in situ and just have every other one lit say dusk until 10 then knock it down to every 3rd light lit 10pm-dawn.

Post Reply