So what did we learn from today?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Re: So what did we learn from today?

Post by KlyBfc » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pm

What we have learnt we probably already knew.

Our team
needs to fully concentrate on its job
It needs to know the opposition inside out and prepare to combat their strengths
It needs to be at full throttle to compete
It needs to have atleast 9 of it best players and partnerships on the pitch
If we play In open games we generally get punished (unless the opposition is truly sub standard
It needs to play with an intensity

We have individual back ups that can come into the side to do a job however more than one especially in key partnership areas and we are in trouble.

4-4-2 does not remain as the answer to every game

Vydra is not and never will be good enough

Long had a stinker but has previously done ok

Lennon try’s hard is busy but does not produce in an attacking sense

Brady (despite I thought doing some ok things today offensively) struggles in a 4 man midfield

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:09 pm

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:45 pm
Also we need to find a way with ticketing that there are limited knuckle draggers/ morons from other stands allowed to have their cup final treat and sit in the Bob Lord.

I’d limit it to no more than 20.
:lol: ...I think

I was worried that it was getting stale so I decided to spice things up a bit today. I nervously climbed the stairs with a heightened state of expectancy about trying a new position. I nearly made a mess within 9 seconds. Ultimately I left red faced and feeling empty inside. Back to JHL for me next week.

UTC!
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

Row Z
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:10 pm

KlyBfc wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Lennon try’s hard is busy but does not produce in an attacking sense
I only watched via a stream today but saw Dyche quite clearly instructing Lennon to drive at their young full back.

Many posters have in the past suggested that Dyche has sucked the creativity out of Lennon, but he clearly wants this from him. I saw the same from our away game at Chelsea after he ran at and beat Azpilicueta (once), Dyche told him to drive at him each time he got the ball.

In neither game did he try, he runs until he is closed down and then turns to lay it back to the fullback.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:12 pm

We certainly found if we didn’t know already that some of our squad players fall well short of what is required. To be perfectly frank it was embarrassing to see how easily a second string Norwich team tore us apart time and time again. I shouldn’t be after the week we’ve had, however I’m disappointed as I had a feeling this could be our year for a good cup run. What a missed opportunity.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:12 pm

Row Z wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:10 pm
I only watched via a stream today but saw Dyche quite clearly instructing Lennon to drive at their young full back.

Many posters have in the past suggested that Dyche has sucked the creativity out of Lennon, but he clearly wants this from him. I saw the same from our away game at Chelsea after he ran at and beat Azpilicueta (once), Dyche told him to drive at him each time he got the ball.

In neither game did he try, he runs until he is closed down and then turns to lay it back to the fullback.
Saw exactly the same thing

The problem is Lennon knew he couldn't get past the young guy which was why he turned back
The manager was asking him to do things he knew he couldn't do
Lennon was in the right to turn back otherwise he would have just lost the ball
The problem with an ageing squad

Row Z

Post by Row Z » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:40 pm

Agreed, and it shows how much an overlapping RB would be beneficial to our attacking play, as Taylor is on the left.

The amount Trippier contributed to our attacking play took the onus off the winger to create.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:46 pm

Lennon was our best threat today.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:53 pm

we learnt that the team collectively doesn't give a """" about this poxy cup, and that only THE most naive and gullible fans think its a worthy cause in 2020....and it's a valuable lesson.
This user liked this post: superdimitri

Row Z

Post by Row Z » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:00 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:46 pm
Lennon was our best threat today.
Think that says more about the rest of the team!

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1748 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:00 am

Should we employ someone as as Cup Head Coach?

Dyche is obviously not interested, so let him take some time off and prepare for ‘more important things’ and bring in a coach to prepare the the team for the cup match. It will be a change of scenery for players, while fringe players are given a clean slate for the week.

Or, if it suits our management better, don’t enter at all. Save the bullshit.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:25 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:48 pm
Some “foreigner” from another stand treating himself to the Bob Lord today almost ejaculated when Vydra came on and clapped his every touch. Even though the majority of his touches lost the ball or bounced off him.
The threads I started suggesting we sign Chris Wood and Charlie Taylor, was purely down to watching them at Leeds, and with Vydra I just rated them. Vydra, was very much someone who scored tap-ins - in the right place at the right time - but could also carry the ball.

I still think he could do as well as Chris Wood, in the right team.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:59 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:25 am
The threads I started suggesting we sign Chris Wood and Charlie Taylor, was purely down to watching them at Leeds, and with Vydra I just rated them. Vydra, was very much someone who scored tap-ins - in the right place at the right time - but could also carry the ball.

I still think he could do as well as Chris Wood, in the right team.
The right team unfortunately isn’t Burnley. Some work out and some don’t but every time I see him play for us it looks like he doesn’t want to be here. Today was probably his worst.
I just don’t understand the cult/ hero status he has still with some fans.

Good call on Taylor and wood though!

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:06 am

We learnt that other teams can make a few changes and still look like a cohesive outfit, whereas when we do it our lads look like a group of strangers who've never seen each other before.
Is it down to our squad players just being rusty or not good enough, or a bit of both?

Billyblah
Been Liked: 165 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:27 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:49 pm
It's not SD that isn't interested in the FA Cup, it's the players.

From the sublime of beating Leicester and Manchester United, to the ridiculous of losing to (soon to be Championship) Norwich.

Some of our players today should be embarrassed at taking their wages for today's performance!
....and the club should be embarrassed in charging the fans for watching Cup games.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:47 am

Billyblah wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:27 am
....and the club should be embarrassed in charging the fans for watching Cup games.
As was suggested earlier, the ticket price is effectively a deterrent. A tax on the foolishly optimistic if you like...which includes me.

UTC!

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by claretgimmer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:48 pm

People seem quick to judge Vydra on 10/15 minute cameos in a team playing crap football, yet last year with game time he scored against Bournemouth, made one in the away game at Cardiff and then gets dropped so why not judge him off the back of two longer run outs and then you may think differently, but Dyche isn't being fair on the lad.

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:50 pm

I learnt today that it is exactly 100 miles from Rawtenstall centre to the M5 exit off the M6 North of Birmingham .