What did I miss - club for sale

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: What did I miss - club for sale

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:59 pm

I imagine a good owner would be a certain very succesful and well connected local businessman. And has been at more and more Burnley games of note. In the posh seats in the bob lord. But I imagine he’s more likely there on other business than getting involved in a takeover here.

That said being involved in premier league football isn’t the money pit it once was.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:01 pm

just my two penneth, but I think the amount of PL money will change very soon. Cable TV companies are actually starting to abandon ship from traditional TV as a whole and are going down the streaming route because the providers are charging too much money for content. That will have a knock on effect to things like the PL rights.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1463 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:12 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:59 pm
I imagine a good owner would be a certain very succesful and well connected local businessman. And has been at more and more Burnley games of note. In the posh seats in the bob lord. But I imagine he’s more likely there on other business than getting involved in a takeover here.

That said being involved in premier league football isn’t the money pit it once was.
Assuming you are talking about your former employer, has he not turned down advances from the club on several occasions due to his preference for the club we beat on Wednesday?

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:15 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:01 pm
just my two penneth, but I think the amount of PL money will change very soon. Cable TV companies are actually starting to abandon ship from traditional TV as a whole and are going down the streaming route because the providers are charging too much money for content. That will have a knock on effect to things like the PL rights.
In the revised deal from this season Overseas Broadcast Income has increased by 30%.

claretdj
Been Liked: 284 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by claretdj » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:22 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:30 am
I think Portsmouth had both. Is any Russian or Arab acceptable, or would you be slightly selective?
Well I'm thinking more of Chelsea n City types! Goodnight sir..
Last edited by claretdj on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:23 pm

Every club is for sale.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:14 pm
And which of the other none super clubs are doing well in the medium-long term

Sheffield Utd - first season in the Prem (doing great on the pitch - New owner (after legal battle) who has to stump up over a quarter of his wealth in the summer to buy the ground, training ground and other assets from the previous owner - and players wanting substantially bigger contracts than are being offered

Crystal Palace - huge debt and up for sale, American shareholders wanting to sell player assets to recover "investment"

Everton - owe the owner £350m before works and expenses begin on new ground - just published losses of £100m + clever scheme of selling a naming rights option to avoid FFP being investigated

Southampton - Previous owner was desperate to sell from moment her father died, - current owner (with links that make it look like club is ultimately managed by Chinese State) signed record sponsorship deal with a company that has never traded and still doesn't

Aston Villa - lots of debt, lots of loans right offs for equity that will never likely be returned on sale, being investigated over ground sale to themselves, possibly breach FFP on player purchases this season (being investigated - lurched from crises to crises under successive foreign owners

Bournemouth - huge debt, image wash for Russian owner

Watford - huge debt, football farming operation - had to borrow money to fund the £2m purchase of Keeper

cannot think of one of those scenarios I want our club to be part of
Would rather go down than be owned by a “wealthy” foreign owner. Or have anyone pump money in to the club and then treat it as their play thing.

Proud we’re not in debt, doing things differently with local owners. As it should be.

UTC

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:42 pm

Goobs wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:12 pm
Assuming you are talking about your former employer, has he not turned down advances from the club on several occasions due to his preference for the club we beat on Wednesday?
More likely because he isn’t that daft :lol:

He is a United fan but a Burnley supporter too. I know. I couldn’t be, but...

His brother (and family on the other hand is a huge Burnley fan. And comes to a lot of games with his lad with us.)

I can’t imagine he would get involved. But who knows? Must be a reason he comes on pretty much most games now and he sits where he does. Also seen him at away games.

One things for sure, if he was involved he is a top guy and as smart a businessman you could want to be involved.
This user liked this post: Goobs

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:07 pm

I for one would love a huge shake up not because the owners have done anything wrong but just for excitements sake, it’s incredibly dull and tedious hearing us cry every transfer window and targeting typical players.

I look at Leicester now, promoted when we were and have had an absolute rollercoaster last 5 years, now I’m certainly not suggesting we could ever win the Premier League like they did but steady progression with the fall of Arsenal and Man United suddenly 2 of those top 4 spots are right up for grabs for a number of years imo. Leicester look good to crack the top 4 again this year, Wolves could sneak in.

If we were able to stretch the finances at the time and sign Pereira, Neves and Maddison for the £60M combined I don’t think we would be too far off. Now it’s all wishful thinking but I just don’t see us as that much worse than Wolves, just without the funds to become better than them.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:08 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:15 pm
In the revised deal from this season Overseas Broadcast Income has increased by 30%.
aye that was sorted a while back, it's only this week that news has come out about some companies choosing not to buy in the future

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:10 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:07 pm
I for one would love a huge shake up not because the owners have done anything wrong but just for excitements sake, it’s incredibly dull and tedious hearing us cry every transfer window and targeting typical players.

I look at Leicester now, promoted when we were and have had an absolute rollercoaster last 5 years, now I’m certainly not suggesting we could ever win the Premier League like they did but steady progression with the fall of Arsenal and Man United suddenly 2 of those top 4 spots are right up for grabs for a number of years imo. Leicester look good to crack the top 4 again this year, Wolves could sneak in.

If we were able to stretch the finances at the time and sign Pereira, Neves and Maddison for the £60M combined I don’t think we would be too far off. Now it’s all wishful thinking but I just don’t see us as that much worse than Wolves, just without the funds to become better than them.
just wonder if you would go on in League two if it all went tits up ?

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:14 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:15 pm
and as you know Roy the way that is being distributed amongst the teams has changed to favour the big clubs and those are the same clubs that are always pushing for a greater share

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:23 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:10 pm
just wonder if you would go on in League two if it all went tits up ?
Well we weren’t in the Premier League when I was born a fan, the level we play at doesn’t determine whether I’m a fan or not, if that was the case I would’ve chose to “support” Man City.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:30 pm

There is no reason to invest in Burnley unless you are a rich fan. I think we have a Board managing the finances effectively.

We are lucky.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:33 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:28 am
I’ve heard a rumour that there is something happening.

Always makesMe laugh on here when foreign investment is mentioned. People immediately cite Portsmouth or Rovers and totally disregard the multiple success stories regarding foreign investment.
Spot on with this. Ultimately I don't doubt the current administration have our best interests at heart and would make the right call with regards to a sale. There are many different types of owners - Blackburn's made serious errors but they're not at all malicious, like the Oystons were, for example. And then you've got the likes of the Srivaddhanaprabha family and to a similar extent Fosun at Leicester and Wolves respectively who are focused on success and are the model example of foreign investment.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:35 am

If our owners are so good and so focussed on what’s best for us, if (when) they sell they will do their due diligence and make sure whoever they sell to be it the landlord of the miners or an Arab oil tycoon, they did what was best for the club first and foremost....

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:46 am
The club is obviously either for sale or looking for investment. You don’t post books like those year in year out for ego, you post them because the club needs to be in its most attractive state to go to market!

I’d say we will be gone in summer 2020 to a new owner. I’d suggest it’ll be an American investment that already has investment strategies in Lancashire.
These 2 users liked this post: clarethomer Vino blanco

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:06 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:49 pm
"books like those year in year out".

Books like what ?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:19 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:06 pm
"books like those year in year out".

Books like what ?
Never judge a book by its cover

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:19 pm
Never judge a book by its cover
In six out of the last ten financial years Burnley posted an Operating Loss.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:32 pm

How many years in PL have we posted a loss?

This poster back in January called a takeover, he called nationality and he called out that it was likely to be around summer.

Typical of this forum -

Ignore all the things that have shown that the poster had some insight into what going on and yet rather than focus on what they called out correctly - there is some question about a phrase used where there was no context to.

I would imagine to most people that they would read the point about regularly posting profits in the most recent years - where we have been posting regular profits rather than where we bet the ranch in the championship.

Really dispair at times at how easy people are wanting to pull other posters apart with stuff like this.
These 2 users liked this post: mill hill claret Turfytop

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:39 pm

Re: the “investment strategies in Lancashire”, do ALK have those?

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:40 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:32 pm
How many years in PL have we posted a loss?

This poster back in January called a takeover, he called nationality and he called out that it was likely to be around summer.

Typical of this forum - we miss all the things that have shown he had some insight into what going on and yet rather than focus on what they called out correctly - there is some question about a phrase used where there was no context but to most people you would read that as the recent years where we have been posting regular profits..

Really dispair at times

In the most recent results published we reported an Operating Loss. Only the profit on sale of Sam Vokes converted that loss into a Net Profit. Just an attempt to emphasise that all may not have been as this poster was suggesting.
This user liked this post: clarethomer

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:06 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:23 pm
In six out of the last ten financial years Burnley posted an Operating Loss.
Suppose I should have added a 😉 to avoid people taking my post seriously 🤣.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:18 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:32 pm
Really dispair at times at how easy people are wanting to pull other posters apart with stuff like this.
Continuing trend unfortunately. I wish people would think twice before posting and disregarding others opinions. They may not agree, but to pick off and bully others is just unacceptable imo. We should have mutual respect. We are all fans of the same club.
These 5 users liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse mill hill claret Turfytop mybloodisclaret KateR