Fringe players

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Fringe players

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:54 am

Our fringe players are woefully short of game time - they are “ring-rusty” as demonstrated yesterday. Surely, with so many U23 players out on loan there is the opportunity to now include over-aged seniors into competitive games.

This would improve the U23 team, help to bring on the youngsters and sharpen up the fringe players both mentally and physically. How many competitive matches have the likes of Gibson, Vydra and (especially) Long had since they’ve been with us ?

The manager’s style has always to play a settled team and not to make changes unless injury forces things. Substitutes are rarely given more than 10 minutes to make an impact. Therefore squad players get little or no chance to show their skills and their footballing life revolves around keeping fit and the odd kick around in training I.e. no competitive football.

Why can’t some of the older pro’s play regularly alongside the development squad in competitive matches? I’m certain that the likes of Jimmy Dunne would develop dramatically if played regularly alongside internationals Gibson or Long. Similarly Vydra with the forwards.

What do you think? Would the older players regard it as an insult and prefer to stay in the wilderness or take the professional approach to keep themselves match fit?

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Re: Fringe players

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:12 pm

Might help get some silverware too - it’s what some other clubs do.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:24 pm

I’d sooner play that age group and develop the 17-23 years olds if it was up to me.

I see your point though, no harm in throwing the odd player in now and again but it’s not what these teams are for, like it was when clubs had reserve teams
This user liked this post: Im_not_Robbie_Blake

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:33 pm

U23 should be exactly like the old reserve team in the Central League days. A mixture of fringe and experienced players together with young up and coming players. This means that the fringe players are match fit when needed and the young players get the huge advantage of playing with experienced first team players. Just makes total sense to me. Imagine young Richardson getting to play with the likes of Bardsley or Pieters etc. Win win imo

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:37 pm

This is a player with a Fringe
images (1).jpeg
images (1).jpeg (3.75 KiB) Viewed 650 times
And this is a Fringe to forget....
images (2).jpeg
images (2).jpeg (3.96 KiB) Viewed 650 times
Here are some more