Israel Folau

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Israel Folau

Post by Blackrod » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:35 am

Probably taking a fine line posting his views. The bushfires comment is strange. He’s entitled to his own view though even if others don’t agree with him or find his comments odd. He’s quoted the bible which condemns a whole host of people including Atheists. I haven’t heard any Atheists too up in arms or any radio programs with them phoning in objecting. (I don’t expect drunks or adulterers to come forward with their objections to his comments).

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: Israel Folau

Post by Sproggy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:41 am

There's not much point trying to argue with someone who's been brainwashed.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:45 am

Loony.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:02 am

It's only ever the anti-gays or racism which makes headlines. I think I'm guilty of 3 or 4 of those who should "repent" or whatever on his post yet I'm not the slightest bit bothered.

Same with this Woodward thing, you go throwing flares at someones house and making death threads and that's OK - barely even gets a mention, however, a player alleges they received racist abuse and you don't hear the end of it for weeks.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:39 am

We have the loony left protecting 'some' Muslims, standing on street corners, calling for Sharia Law, death to the infidels, because it's their right. Yet someone who because of his religious beliefs denounces homosexuality, he hasn't threatened anybody, is slated.
I don't believe Folau, anymore than I do the arseholes calling for Sharia Law, but I'm certain that he has the right to his opinion without being castigated for it.
It's not enough to be a liberal, for some reason 'we' have this need to be proactive on all things homophobic, Islamophobic, racist, and to be proactive requires throwing stones at anyone who doesn't share 'our' opinion. The left wing have really become far more extreme than the right wing, and far nastier.
Until he starts advocating burning gays at the stake, Folau should be allowed to share his beliefs without the risk of being sacked, or castigated by the media. Everyone has a right to ignore him on a personal level if you don't like his views.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:28 am

He's signed for Catalan Dragons for this coming RL season so he'll be seen around (bits of) northern England for the next 6 months+ in the Super League.
He's got a right to his beliefs but (like a lot of dedicated "believers") he would be more accepted if he didnt preach so hard about what his beliefs lead him to dislike/disdain. I can accept his beliefs and disagree with them without feeling offended but it does seem nowadays that people feel the need to demonstrate how "right on" they are by being overtly offended.

I hope he plays some good rugby this season, there's no doubt he's a talented athlete and great to watch on a rugby pitch (L or U).

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:30 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:39 am
Everyone has a right to ignore him on a personal level if you don't like his views.
We've lost that level of maturity. As far as I can see, Folau never advocated attacking anyone, excluding anyone, discriminating against anyone, depriving them of their right to earn a living. Whatever anyone feels about whether his views are reasonable or right, you'd think that the lack of threat to anyone else would be enough for people to simply shrug their shoulders if they disagree.

In the same way, anyone calling for Sharia law is simply calling for a change to the legal system - which is fine. Without that right, no change of any kind can happen. That's different than calling for harm to be done someone.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:41 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:02 am
It's only ever the anti-gays or racism which makes headlines. I think I'm guilty of 3 or 4 of those who should "repent" or whatever on his post yet I'm not the slightest bit bothered.

Same with this Woodward thing, you go throwing flares at someones house and making death threads and that's OK - barely even gets a mention, however, a player alleges they received racist abuse and you don't hear the end of it for weeks.
I wonder whether people actually believe it when they write ******** like this. Are they so brainwashed that it enables them to ignore reality?

Woodward's house being attacked has made the headlines pretty much everywhere and been roundly condemned but people will just clearly lie about that as it doesn't suit their weird view of the world.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:46 pm

Quite funny that Wigan have announced Gay Pride day when they play Catalan

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:52 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:39 am
We have the loony left protecting 'some' Muslims, standing on street corners, calling for Sharia Law, death to the infidels, because it's their right. Yet someone who because of his religious beliefs denounces homosexuality, he hasn't threatened anybody, is slated.
I don't believe Folau, anymore than I do the arseholes calling for Sharia Law, but I'm certain that he has the right to his opinion without being castigated for it.
It's not enough to be a liberal, for some reason 'we' have this need to be proactive on all things homophobic, Islamophobic, racist, and to be proactive requires throwing stones at anyone who doesn't share 'our' opinion. The left wing have really become far more extreme than the right wing, and far nastier.
Until he starts advocating burning gays at the stake, Folau should be allowed to share his beliefs without the risk of being sacked, or castigated by the media. Everyone has a right to ignore him on a personal level if you don't like his views.
I guess this partly defends on your definition of nastier. Personally I'd say murdering people, forming terrorist organisations, violence, etc seems far more prevalent amongst the right wing in the UK. Have a look at what the Tommy Robinson protests descended into for instance, or Owen Jones.

Do you have a specific example for the loony left protecting some Muslims or is it just another of those stories that everyone knows? The most recent example I remember was at the school in Birmingham where the Muslim parents were banned from protesting.

Folau is entitled to his free speech. Other people are entitled to castigate him for it. It's a two way street.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:33 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:

Makes light hearted comment on thread about the Woodward attack and gets upset when some woman on the radio gives her opinion on talking football in the workplace.

Consistency is obviously not your strong point

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4073 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:52 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:

Same with this Woodward thing, you go throwing flares at someones house and making death threads and that's OK - barely even gets a mention....
Been all over the news bulletins that ive seen all morning,
local and national.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:59 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:33 pm
Makes light hearted comment on thread about the Woodward attack and gets upset when some woman on the radio gives her opinion on talking football in the workplace.

Consistency is obviously not your strong point
Sorry turtle