HAPPY BREXIT DAY EVERYONE!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Re: HAPPY BREXIT DAY EVERYONE!

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:18 pm

barba wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:14 pm
I still hold the view that the next global financial crisis to hit will be borne within the Eurozone and although we will be hit irrespective of leaving I for one will be glad of the opportunity Brexit gives to forge other relationships.

You just need to look at the macro data to see that things are not well:

- €2.6tn + in quantatative easing (QE) which they stopped in Jan 19 and had to restart in Nov 19 as growth sharply contracted.
- €4tn negative yielding European Government debt
- Inflation rate at half the target
- Interest rates at 0%
- Italy and France showing signs of contraction
- Deutsche Bank posting a €5bn loss
- ECB holding €4tn on their balance sheet equating to ~ 40% of Eurozone GDP
- Euro falling on loan growth data
- Trade wars affecting the predominately export led market.

As the Eurozone has unionised monetary policy but not fiscal policy then once pumping money in stops working they have little to no control of Governments to spend / cut tax in a coordinated fashion to stop the end of the economic cycle turning in to a full blown crisis.

And although we are not a member of the Eurozone the direction of travel is further political integration and if we remained members then we would slowly yield more power and control.

So I for one will be breaking dry January to raise a glass to Brexit at 11pm and hope that perhaps those perveyors of doom and gloom on our shores might release that the membership they so wish to maintain may not bring the future rewards then think it will.
A fine post.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:40 pm

Targetman wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:46 am
I remember similar things being quoted about closures and redundancies when the minimum wage was being brought in!
When we have left the EU, the government can scrap the minimum wage law so we will all be on £5 an hour again.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:42 pm

A new era... YAY...

https://youtu.be/bBq2kNse9l8

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3338 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:46 pm

A sacrifice worth taking for the country just to have my hero Ringo posting more.

I think Big Window might be seeing another £6 or £7 on top of their usual Friday income from him.
This user liked this post: TVC15

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:53 pm

Damo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:16 am
Just sent my mrs out to buy a new quilt. Not sure my continental one will work after midnight, and I've stocked up on croissants.
Cant wait
Tomorrow morning, you'll be able to call these 'Angry Insects' as you they're consumed, without any fear of reprisals from Brussels. 8-)
Last edited by Buxtonclaret on Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Damo

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:55 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:40 pm
When we have left the EU, the government can scrap the minimum wage law so we will all be on £5 an hour again.
The government could have scrapped the minimum wage anyway - the EU doesn't have a minimum wage. We have lost the automatic right to 14 weeks' maternity leave, though.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:21 pm

The one thing the EU are dreading most is the UK doing well after Brexit while their economy tanks. That as much as anything will bring about the end of the United States of Europe. That tedious oaf Jeremy Vine is blabbing on about Brexit and has invited people from both sides to appear; for the leavers he has Farage and some unknown economist and for the remainers he has Ken Clarke, Michael Heseltine and the Prince of Darkness (Mandelson). I can‘t think of 3 worse people I would want to represent any argument; 2 of the worst politicians ever to sully the Conservative party and a conniving, self important, money grabbing lowlife. Hopefully, after 11pm, all 3 will crawl back under the flat stones from which the BBC dug them out.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:26 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:40 pm
You use can and will in the same sentence, yet they have different meanings. So which is it? Make your mind up time. Or are you putting 2 and 2 together and coming up 6.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:38 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:48 am
And Europe will have no say in the decisions we make, result.

Nearly 4 years on from jumping off the cliff, and you are still preaching doom and gloom. Just how long do we have to wait for these wilting shoots of recession to appear. Will you still be saying in another 4 years time, recessions coming, any day now, you wait we will live to regret this..........

Now that the inevitable is upon us, all the forecasts indicate that GB will be the fastest growing market in Europe. But feel free to keep burying your head in a pipe dream, stick you fingers in your ears, don't listen to the positivity, and one day in 30 or 40 years time, you might wake up and be right.
Even Mandelson was saying today that the full (negative) effects of Brexit won’t be seen for years, yet during the campaign for a second referendum he was still banging on that we would ‘fall off the cliff’ as soon as we leave. Like a lot of them, he will be hoping and praying we end up in the sh!t just so he can say “I was right”. Personally, I hope we succeed and prosper so I can say “I was right”.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:47 pm

BennyD wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:38 pm
Even Mandelson was saying today that the full (negative) effects of Brexit won’t be seen for years, yet during the campaign for a second referendum he was still banging on that we would ‘fall off the cliff’ as soon as we leave. Like a lot of them, he will be hoping and praying we end up in the sh!t just so he can say “I was right”. Personally, I hope we succeed and prosper so I can say “I was right”.
On the flip side, we won't see a single improvement in the NHS despite leaving the EU!

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:57 pm

barba wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:14 pm

So I for one will be breaking dry January to raise a glass to Brexit at 11pm and hope that perhaps those perveyors of doom and gloom on our shores might release that the membership they so wish to maintain may not bring the future rewards they think it will.
If you skip over to France, you could have a brexit drink without breaking your January alcohol imbargo.
This user liked this post: barba

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:47 pm
On the flip side, we won't see a single improvement in the NHS despite leaving the EU!
According to who? How do you know the NHS isn't going to improve, as a fact?
Where are the promises that the NHS would have been any better, or any different, if we had voted to remain?

You are just doing what all the remainers are doing, looking for the negative, regardless of the state of play, you are determined that it will fail.
Believing in the EU is sad, but your right, wanting this country to fail is just pathetic.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:54 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 pm
Where are the promises that the NHS would have been any better, or any different, if we had voted to remain?

You are just doing what all the remainers are doing, looking for the negative, regardless of the state of play, you are determined that it will fail.
Believing in the EU is sad, but your right, wanting this country to fail is just pathetic.
Leave them to it, it’ll make succeeding without the EU all the sweeter. Their tantrums will have to finish eventually, or they’ll spend the rest of their lives being miserable w4nkers while the rest of us will be enjoying life.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4186 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:56 pm

Spijed wrote:
Is that due to it being so brilliant while in the EU ?

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:01 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:18 am
I for one, find that people who use the phrase "I For One" are generally obnoxious pricks.
It's just a phrase and it's a damned sight easier to say than 'I, along with a whole host of other like minded individuals'. :lol: :lol:

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:06 pm

I don't know who said it , but it feels true . The harder you work for something, the greater it feels when you achieve it .

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:11 pm

BennyD wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:38 pm
It's actually kinda sad that the remainers not only couldn't handle democracy in action but many are now wanting the people of this country to feel the force of some unknown evil so they can say I told you so. Why, now that it is over, does anyone feel the need to wish ill on the country they live in and were presumably born in and many of whose fathers or grandfathers died or were injured fighting for it, just so they can be proved in some way right? I know that not all remainers feel that way but many do and I feel it shows the depth to which their bitterness has fallen. When we (the no's) lost all those years ago we accepted it and got on with it, we didn't gripe or moan or want a re-run. The behaviour of the remainers has left a very bad taste in this mouth.
This user liked this post: BennyD

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:12 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 pm

It’s bound to improve now it’s getting £350 million extra a week :roll:

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:14 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:11 pm
It's actually kinda sad that the remainers not only couldn't handle democracy in action but many are now wanting the people of this country to feel the force of some unknown evil so they can say I told you so. Why, now that it is over, does anyone feel the need to wish ill on the country they live in and were presumably born in and many of whose fathers or grandfathers died or were injured fighting for it, just so they can be proved in some way right? I know that not all remainers feel that way but many do and I feel it shows the depth to which their bitterness has fallen. When we (the no's) lost all those years ago we accepted it and got on with it, we didn't gripe or moan or want a re-run. The behaviour of the remainers has left a very bad taste in this mouth.
We didn’t gripe or moan or want a re-run , quality irony :lol: :lol:

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:21 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:11 pm
If the remainers had won the referendum, I honestly don’t think the leavers would have kicked up anywhere near the fuss the remainers have over the last 3.5 years. The likes of Gina Miller, Ken Clarke, Heseltine, Blair, Major, Mandelson etc have divided the country as never before. It’s ironic that all those except Miller have spent their lives in democratic politics yet have done everything possible to thwart it. The problem of reintegrating with the rest of the country is now their’s and their’s alone. Personally, I would be overjoyed if I never heard their names ever again.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:21 pm

Spijed wrote:
One of things we have missed out on with leaving the EU is the opportunity to learn from some of their successful national health service arrangements - none of them follow our NHS model.

Maybe in time we will take a look and learn - and maybe then we will get the national health service that we deserve.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:26 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:21 pm
One of things we have missed out on with leaving the EU is the opportunity to learn from some of their successful national health service arrangements - none of them follow our NHS model.

Maybe in time we will take a look and learn - and maybe then we will get the national health service that we deserve.
Just in case you think otherwise, a steel shutter won’t come down at 11pm this evening. There is absolutely nothing stopping us from getting ideas and assistance from foreign organisations.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:29 pm

BennyD wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:38 am
I’m just on my way out to buy an effing big rocket which I’ll be letting off at 11pm. I’m going to aim it low so it goes off at the end of the garden of a neighbour of mine who is a rabid remainer. I really hope that re-establishes our friendship and that from now on, the only moaning he does is about how well we are doing despite his dire predictions. Happy Brexit day!!
Got one; forty quids worth of daylight and noise. An evening of watching football with lots of beer followed by fireworks; how could that possibly end badly? :lol:

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:31 pm

BennyD wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:26 pm
Just in case you think otherwise, a steel shutter won’t come down at 11pm this evening. There is absolutely nothing stopping us from getting ideas and assistance from foreign organisations.
Hi Benny, yes, I agree. I think it was someone on tv this morning mentioned EU getting involved with health services... or not, in the case of the NHS. Given half of the UK believe it is not possible to improve on the NHS model, it just needs more and more money to be perfect, then the prospect of the initiative coming from the UK taking a look at other health service models has moved further away, if the EU is no longer there to make us do it.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:33 pm

Anyway, my first trip to EU post Brexit is early March... the one after that will probably be in May - then once or twice more through the end of the year.

What are others plans for visiting our "neighbours and friends?"

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:43 pm

BennyD wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:21 pm
If the remainers had won the referendum, I honestly don’t think the leavers would have kicked up anywhere near the fuss the remainers have over the last 3.5 years. The likes of Gina Miller, Ken Clarke, Heseltine, Blair, Major, Mandelson etc have divided the country as never before. It’s ironic that all those except Miller have spent their lives in democratic politics yet have done everything possible to thwart it. The problem of reintegrating with the rest of the country is now their’s and their’s alone. Personally, I would be overjoyed if I never heard their names ever again.
Stop gloating!

You're the kind of uncaring, non-inclusive types that celebrates when the result goes your way arent you.

I bet you went as far as actually celebrating , when, after 30 odd years, we finally beat Blackburn. I bet you lorded it over any Man Utd fans that you know or work with , last week, after we stuffed em at old Trafford didn't you!?

Bet you couldn't care less, whether, after 3 and a half years of trying to overturn the largest single expression of democracy this nation has ever witnessed. The losing side, still, cant bring themselves to accepting they lost , couldn't you?

Me too!

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:17 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:33 pm
Anyway, my first trip to EU post Brexit is early March... the one after that will probably be in May - then once or twice more through the end of the year.

What are others plans for visiting our "neighbours and friends?"
I'll be off to Poland on Sunday. I'm assuming it's the last time I'll be seeing this:
Annotation 2020-01-31 161352.jpg
Annotation 2020-01-31 161352.jpg (49.42 KiB) Viewed 2779 times

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:29 pm

aggi wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:50 am
It's not as quite as clear cut as that but I like the idea that Germany will now amend its constitution if it causes a problem after the UK has left the EU.
Why would they amend their constitution, it doesn’t cause a problem for them? It’s the same with Austria and Slovenia. The UK have only applied for the extradition of 16 German citizens in the last 10 years.

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:42 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:29 pm
Why would they amend their constitution, it doesn’t cause a problem for them? It’s the same with Austria and Slovenia. The UK have only applied for the extradition of 16 German citizens in the last 10 years.
I said that they would amend their constitution IF it caused a problem. That's why they would amend their constitution, IF it became a problem.

It's perfectly possible, though I dare say unlikely, that some gang of German citizens starts raiding Swiss banks, physically or electronically, or planting Swiss bombs, or grooming Swiss children, and causing great embarrassment to the country. Then, they might change their laws to allow them to be extradited. If Germany finds itself providing a safe haven for criminals acting abroad - be it Switzerland, UK, or wherever - they will be able to change their laws.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1143 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:47 pm

Surely tomorrow should be named Independence Day and declared a public holiday ?

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1817 times
Has Liked: 1796 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:57 pm

GandalfsBeard wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:22 am
Fly, you fools!
It is, indeed, a Balrog.
This user liked this post: KateR

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3338 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:13 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:06 pm
I don't know who said it , but it feels true . The harder you work for something, the greater it feels when you achieve it .
You claimed you voted remain so you didn’t work that hard did you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:18 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:42 pm
I said that they would amend their constitution IF it caused a problem. That's why they would amend their constitution, IF it became a problem.

It's perfectly possible, though I dare say unlikely, that some gang of German citizens starts raiding Swiss banks, physically or electronically, or planting Swiss bombs, or grooming Swiss children, and causing great embarrassment to the country. Then, they might change their laws to allow them to be extradited. If Germany finds itself providing a safe haven for criminals acting abroad - be it Switzerland, UK, or wherever - they will be able to change their laws.
Their solution would be to prosecute the case in Germany. They aren’t going to change their constitution just because of Brexit, nor are Austria is Slovenia.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:25 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:31 pm
Hi Benny, yes, I agree. I think it was someone on tv this morning mentioned EU getting involved with health services... or not, in the case of the NHS. Given half of the UK believe it is not possible to improve on the NHS model, it just needs more and more money to be perfect, then the prospect of the initiative coming from the UK taking a look at other health service models has moved further away, if the EU is no longer there to make us do it.
The NHS, which don’t get me wrong is a fantastic institution, hasn’t evolved with the times and has become a massive sponge which will absorb as much money as you throw at it without the expected levels of improvement. It needs a root and branch overhaul to reduce the wastage that is an ever present. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians (this, for any Woke snowflakes amongst us, is an old saying, not a racial slur) is one of many expensive problems with it. However, there are too many left wingers that won’t countenance any worthwhile change without calling it a Tory plan to Privatise it.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:27 pm

I suppose the feeling for some today is like what people in America, India, Ireland and other parts of the old British Empire felt when they were given independence, which is all a bit ironic for those looking inwards and backwards to the glory days of yore.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:59 pm

5 more hours.

Democracy delivered!

The BBC has announced it will broadcast sombre music!
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:02 pm

duplicate
Last edited by HunterST_BFC on Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HunterST_BFC

Post by HunterST_BFC » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:02 pm

dupe
Last edited by HunterST_BFC on Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HunterST_BFC

Post by HunterST_BFC » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:03 pm

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1817 times
Has Liked: 1796 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:19 pm

So when does the drawbridge go up?

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:21 pm

Happy Brexit Day! Big party here with fireworks for the kids. Brilliant day! Thank you Boris and Sir Nigel

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:37 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:59 pm

The BBC has announced it will broadcast sombre music!
Why would they play

https://youtu.be/q-Rqdgna3Yw

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:47 pm

Happy Brexit day! We’re leaving the EU!*

*but following all their rules, but having no say in them until at least next year, probably the year after

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:16 pm

4 hours to go!

Alistair Campbell admitting on channel 4 news he will refuse to use the new 50 pence pieces that celebrate brexit!!

Watching sore loser Campbell making himself look like even more of a bitter and twisted curmudgeon than he was , already is a sight to behold!

If carlsberg did schadenfreude!!!!
This user liked this post: summitclaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:16 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:16 pm
4 hours to go!

Alistair Campbell admitting on channel 4 news he will refuse to use the new 50 pence pieces that celebrate brexit!!

Watching sore loser Campbell making himself look like even more of a bitter and twisted curmudgeon than he was , already is a sight to behold!

If carlsberg did schadenfreude!!!!
I’m absolutely delighted we’re out.

And I I voted remain, but the appalling behaviour of the remainers and their refusal to accept the will of the people turned me in to a staunch leaver.

Will be nice to untie ourselves from the undemocratic bureaucracy of Brussels and be able to hold our politicians fully to account.

Will be interesting to see if any of these so-called pro-EU parties campaign future GEs with a policy to rejoin.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:24 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:47 pm
Surely tomorrow should be named Independence Day and declared a public holiday ?
Typical brexiteer foresight that one. Tell us we get an extra public holiday and it's going to be on a Saturday.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:23 pm

Brexit parties all over England ..Especially down south.Wetherspoons are doing a roaring trade in babbies heads and chips.. :D

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:06 pm

Still a sore loser eh?

I think NewClaret puts your breed in their place.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:06 pm

As I suspected, the lights are still on, aircraft are still flying and all my food is still fresh. It’s a bit like Millenium eve and the internet crash that didn’t happen. Welcome to a brave new world. Yip- fuckin-pee and aboutfucking time.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:09 pm

Has anyone run out of medicine yet?