HAPPY BREXIT DAY EVERYONE!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Re: HAPPY BREXIT DAY EVERYONE!

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:56 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:38 am
I made a joke. And, surprise surprise, someone who'd had a sense of humourectony seized upon it , took the opportunity to silence me.

No foul and abusive language, no personal abuse, just a joke. But hey, it was Ringo.....

I've clearly got under the skin of a handful havent I

Hey-ho ......

Ah, the old "It was just banter, honest." crap. :lol:
Bit ironic - and hypocritical -you being banned, though, what with you always bleating about being the victim, silenced even :roll:

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:34 pm

dermotdermot wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:31 pm
We elect a government to make decisions. To entrust such a monumental decision to the populace with well below average intelligence is not at all wise. This is demonstrated quite clearly by the fellow in the first clip who, like probably about 99% of leavers, think that by voting the way they did, they would limit muslim immigration. He was okay about Europeans coming here but just didn’t want anymore Muslims. That is why he voted to leave Europe.

Oh, and by the way, you spell ‘whether’ with an ‘h’ and, not as you have done, ‘wether’, without.
Surely the populace has average intelligence.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:49 pm

Anyone run out of insulin yet?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:06 pm

The people crowing about how nothing has changed the day after we have left the EU aren’t exactly dispelling the myths regarding lack of intelligence.
These 4 users liked this post: Burnley Ace Siddo nil_desperandum BFCmaj

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:17 pm

Fairly sure I remember seeing lots of comments on here regarding huge tailbacks at ports and airports the moment we leave the EU. Resulting in food and medicine shortages.
The amount of things some of you remainers have got wrong proves there are thickos on both sides
This user liked this post: BennyD

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1883 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:18 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:00 pm
You're probably right to be fair.

But, when I do it, I've enough self awareness and objectivity to realise that there's a gaggle of posters that I've clearly needled since the referendum result.

Sad really.
Did you actually get to celebrate your special day? Just you seemed to have spent the majority of yesterday posting on here what a great day you were planning on having!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:21 pm

Damo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:17 pm
Fairly sure I remember seeing lots of comments on here regarding huge tailbacks at ports and airports the moment we leave the EU. Resulting in food and medicine shortages.
The amount of things some of you remainers have got wrong proves there are thickos on both sides
If people thought that would happen immediately after leaving the EU whilst in a transition period then I agree that they are thick. Cant remember seeing anybody claiming such a thing on here though.

Your goading of the remainers after finally getting what you wanted makes you look extremely childish. We’ve left the EU - move on.
This user liked this post: Siddo

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:21 pm

Damo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:17 pm
Are you deliberately being stupid? What is it you don’t understand about what’s happened yesterday? We are still in the single market so why would there be tailbacks?

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:36 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:21 pm
If people thought that would happen immediately after leaving the EU whilst in a transition period then I agree that they are thick. Cant remember seeing anybody claiming such a thing on here though.

Your goading of the remainers after finally getting what you wanted makes you look extremely childish. We’ve left the EU - move on.
One of your previous posts, was one insinuating people who voted brexit are of low intelligence
Seems a bit contradictory you being offended by a few silly comments poking fun at the failure of some remainers predictions.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:40 pm

Damo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:36 pm
One of your previous posts, was one insinuating people who voted brexit are of low intelligence
Seems a bit contradictory you being offended by a few silly comments poking fun at the failure of some remainers predictions.
I didn’t insinuate people who voted to leave the EU are of low intelligence so don’t make things up.

And I’m not offended by any of your silly comments - I’m just pointing out how stupid they are and how your baiting of remainers after finally leaving the EU is making you look childish.

Move on.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:43 pm

To be fair all the remainers predictions on here about these kind of events were based on us crashing out of the EU with no deal.

I'd guess one bit of common ground we all share (but for the real bat sh*t crazy loons) is that this hasn't happened.....yet!!

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:49 pm

BennyD wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:25 pm
The NHS, which don’t get me wrong is a fantastic institution, hasn’t evolved with the times and has become a massive sponge which will absorb as much money as you throw at it without the expected levels of improvement. It needs a root and branch overhaul to reduce the wastage that is an ever present. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians (this, for any Woke snowflakes amongst us, is an old saying, not a racial slur) is one of many expensive problems with it. However, there are too many left wingers that won’t countenance any worthwhile change without calling it a Tory plan to Privatise it.
The NHS has a number of great hospitals and many of the doctors, nurses and other staff are dedicated, hard workers, great carers and the best professionals you'd ever want to be looked after by.

The problem with the NHS is that it is "state owned" and, funded by government decisions on how to spend taxpayer money. That why it's a "massive sponge" as you describe it - and, that's not a recent issue, it's been like that from "day one." A "root and branch" overhaul will tackle the way it is funded. Change it so that "the patient pays" and immediately the health service will adjust to provide what the patient needs - and not what the government decided 12, 18 or 24 months earlier (and even longer when government decided how many doctors and nurses to train). Of course, for the patient to have the money to pay, all of us, except the very wealthy will require health insurance - so, implement compulsory health insurance, the way they do in Netherlands, Germany, France (I think) and other major EU countries - and charge a little extra to those that can afford, so that those on "no/very" low income get their health insurance provided from free.

That's why I say it's a pity the EU didn't mandate a better national health service for all members...

Oh, and yes, we might have spent more than the UK does, so better health outcomes, also. What's not to like?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Its quite amazing how many people want to be governed and dictated to by an undemocratic bureaucratic sclerotic and downright unpleasant, unaccountable, offshore power. Each to their own I suppose.

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:59 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:43 pm
To be fair all the remainers predictions on here about these kind of events were based on us crashing out of the EU with no deal.
Which was always extremely unlikely.
It didnt stop people posting about food and medicine shortages on Brexit thread after Brexit thread though.
Anyway, given some of the absolute tosh posted about brexiteers and remainers over the past few years, I cant help but laugh at people getting so worked up about the jokey comments about nothing changing today.

Some real sensitive souls on here sometimes

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:02 pm

Damo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:59 pm
It didnt stop people posting about food and medicine shortages on Brexit thread after Brexit thread though.
Anyway, given some of the absolute tosh posted about brexiteers and remainers over the past few years, I cant help but laugh at people getting so worked up about the jokey comments about nothing changing today.

I hardly contributed to the brexit threads so you’re mistaken if you think I’m getting worked up about the jokey comments. I tried to do you a favour by pointing out how daft you’re making yourself look, but by all means carry on.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:32 pm

dermotdermot wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:31 pm
We elect a government to make decisions. To entrust such a monumental decision to the populace with well below average intelligence is not at all wise. This is demonstrated quite clearly by the fellow in the first clip who, like probably about 99% of leavers, think that by voting the way they did, they would limit muslim immigration. He was okay about Europeans coming here but just didn’t want anymore Muslims. That is why he voted to leave Europe.

Oh, and by the way, you spell ‘whether’ with an ‘h’ and, not as you have done, ‘wether’, without.
So, above what IQ should we allow people to vote? It doesn’t matter wHether you agree with his decision, or how he reached it, is irrelevant, his vote counts just as much as your’s. It could be that you have an IQ below the threshold and, therefore, wouldn’t be allowed to vote either. Ps; thanks for the lesson in spelling. :roll:

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:38 pm

"your’s." and "either. Ps;"

You've still a bit of work to do, Biggles. ;)

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:39 pm

Damo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:59 pm

No problem with you having your fun, i've had my fair share of it myself. Whether it was likely or not the claims were made in the context of discussion with the Brexit fruitcakes who were backing a No Deal and boasting how good it would be

As for sensitive souls on here the bulk of them seems to be right leaning people who get themselves in a tiz about women on the radio who don't like football or child activists etc

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:23 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:50 am
Job opportunities for Brexiteers when the economy goes tits up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGex0kLgNok

And to think this was an absurd comedy sketch just 20 years ago
Is that the economy thats forecast to be the fastest growing in Europe?

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:41 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:23 pm
Is that the economy thats forecast to be the fastest growing in Europe?
By who?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:48 pm

Perhaps the people who want us to stay in or rejoin should set an example and personally chip in to bail out the failing economies we used to subsidise .
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brexit-hangov ... 29890.html

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:55 pm

Heathclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:41 pm
By who?
I think he's referring to the recent IMF report that has forecasted the UK to have better growth than the Eurozone.

The report comes with key caveats and dependencies around an orderly exit and a gradual transition towards a new economic relationship. Not impossible but the noises coming out of downing st, especially around divergence, means its unlikely we'll meet the caveats the IMF report assumes.

I doubt Colburn has bothered to read the article and understand it in relation to the govt plans (or clear lack of them) and has just seen a headline that sounds good. Brexit in a nutshell I guess
These 2 users liked this post: Heathclaret Lord Beamish

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:58 pm

BennyD wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:32 pm
So, above what IQ should we allow people to vote? It doesn’t matter wHether you agree with his decision, or how he reached it, is irrelevant, his vote counts just as much as your’s. It could be that you have an IQ below the threshold and, therefore, wouldn’t be allowed to vote either. Ps; thanks for the lesson in spelling. :roll:
Don't mention it.

Thanks for your concern about my IQ. It is, in fact, way above the threshold. Where does yours rank?

Dixie Normous
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Dixie Normous » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:29 pm

Now that’s all done and dusted how about we stop all these posts as it’s got f all to do with football

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:44 pm

#thick is trending on twitter
Mostly due to people like Rileybobs and Burnley Ace, angrily responding to jokes by explaining that we are still in the transitional period :lol:

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:54 pm

Damo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:44 pm
Mostly due to people like Rileybobs and Burnley Ace, angrily responding to jokes by explaining that we are still in the transitional period :lol:
From the limited posts I’ve see on twitter tagged with #thick it seems to be clips of extremely unintelligent Brexiteers. Not sure how people like Burnley Ace and I, who haven’t responded to anything angrily, have got anything to do with it trending.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:54 pm
From the limited posts I’ve see on twitter tagged with #thick it seems to be clips of extremely unintelligent Brexiteers. Not sure how people like Burnley Ace and I, who haven’t responded to anything angrily, have got anything to do with it trending.
Contrary to the only singular post I've seen, talking about shooting yourself into the foot, the thicko video clip I watch earlier was a woman escaping a parking penalty fine & she was supposed to be stupid, I'm absolutely astounded DA chose to post that clip reinforcing a stance, it's highly debatable who's stupid & who's clever, I know where my money is going.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:16 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:13 pm
Contrary to the only singular post I've seen, talking about shooting yourself into the foot, the thicko video clip I watch earlier was a woman escaping a parking penalty fine & she was supposed to be stupid, I'm absolutely astounded DA chose to post that clip reinforcing a stance, it's highly debatable who's stupid & who's clever, I know where my money is going.
I think somehow you have entirely misunderstood what you watched.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:21 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:16 pm
I think somehow you have entirely misunderstood what you watched.
Clear as crystal, the finishing line was just take the car & no money was exchanged prior, you couldn't make it up, the woman was supposed to be stupid but somehow she ended up dodging paying the fine & the car was waiting scot free.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:24 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:21 pm
Clear as crystal, the finishing line was just take the car & no money was exchanged prior, you couldn't make it up, the woman was supposed to be stupid but somehow she ended up dodging paying the fine & the car was waiting scot free.
Yes, but she was still stupid.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 833 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:25 pm

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:26 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:24 pm
Yes, but she was still stupid.
How exactly? She was on offer for paying a fine but she didn't, she played dumb chanced her arm & ended up fooling the guy, she was 1 smart cookie in my opinion.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:28 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:26 pm
How exactly? She was on offer for paying a fine but she didn't, she played dumb chanced her arm & ended up fooling the guy, she was 1 smart cookie in my opinion.
She didn’t play dumb. She was dumb. It wasn’t real.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:32 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:28 pm
She didn’t play dumb. She was dumb. It wasn’t real.
Of course I know that, but portraying a dumb person & surely outfoxing a person & getting away with the crime isn't the best portrayal, fair enough had they cuffed her & led away to the cells that's fair game, but no this lady walked away without paying the fine & the car was waiting.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:34 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:32 pm
Of course I know that, but portraying a dumb person & surely outfoxing a person & getting away with the crime isn't the best portrayal, fair enough had they cuffed her & led away to the cells that's fair game, but no this lady walked away without paying the fine & the car was waiting.
Yes - the entire point of the clip was showing that stupid people can be useful because they don’t know they’ve lost the argument.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:38 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:34 pm
Yes - the entire point of the clip was showing that stupid people can be useful because they don’t know they’ve lost the argument.
Well maybe I'm dumb & the cap fits, like I said the portrayal was a dumb lady but somehow the end result ended up with this lady walking away without paying the fine, in my view she was 1 smart lady by the end result, she escaped punishment & any expenses.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:41 pm

Jakub thinks its the 'Parable of the Stupid Woman' first seen in The New Testament Matthew 13:3-8

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:45 pm

Damo wrote:
Oh they were jokes? Given the general stupidity of many of your comments it’s almost impossible to differentiate. Unfortunately many really don’t understand what the translation period I presumed you were one of them. It’s not like we have had to spend the last 3 years trying to explain some really basic concepts to people like you.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 833 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:47 pm

Damo wrote:
I didn't know #thick was trending until you pointed it out.

It seems to be because they've interviewed some Brexiters or Leavers or whatever you want to call them, #thick is the most accurate.

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:16 pm

BennyD wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:32 pm
The point is, Benny, that a whole lot of former Remainers (who are of course no longer remainers, because there are no remainers now - though there might be some rejoiners) determine intelligence by which way they voted. Their definition of "people who are stupid" means "people who voted for Brexit", and therefore if stupid people are excluded from voting then the Brexit votewould have been roundly defeated. By 100%, in fact.

And the worst of it is, they don't see this as an affront to democracy. There are people out there who quite genuinely don't see that overturning the referendum result would have been an affront to democracy. They say we have a parliamentary sovereignty and the MPs should decide. But then when the MPs decide to have a referendum, they say that the MPs are wrong and we shouldn't have a referendum because in a parliamentary sovereignty the MPs shouldn't decide that. (Well, mostly they said that after the result went the wrong way.) So they don't like referendums because they're anti-democratic, and they don't like parliamentary sovereignty because it's anti-democratic, and in fact the obvious conclusion is that they don't like democracy. Not because it's anti-democratic, but because it allows them to be overruled by people who hold the "wrong" opinion.
This user liked this post: BennyD

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:21 pm

dsr wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:16 pm
The point is, Benny, that a whole lot of former Remainers (who are of course no longer remainers, because there are no remainers now - though there might be some rejoiners) determine intelligence by which way they voted. Their definition of "people who are stupid" means "people who voted for Brexit", and therefore if stupid people are excluded from voting then the Brexit votewould have been roundly defeated. By 100%, in fact.

And the worst of it is, they don't see this as an affront to democracy. There are people out there who quite genuinely don't see that overturning the referendum result would have been an affront to democracy. They say we have a parliamentary sovereignty and the MPs should decide. But then when the MPs decide to have a referendum, they say that the MPs are wrong and we shouldn't have a referendum because in a parliamentary sovereignty the MPs shouldn't decide that. (Well, mostly they said that after the result went the wrong way.) So they don't like referendums because they're anti-democratic, and they don't like parliamentary sovereignty because it's anti-democratic, and in fact the obvious conclusion is that they don't like democracy. Not because it's anti-democratic, but because it allows them to be overruled by people who hold the "wrong" opinion.
I think people have just had enough of experts haven't they dsr.

Or rather, just the experts who hold the "wrong opinion". Experts who hold the right opinion are fine aren't they dsr.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:24 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:21 pm
I think people have just had enough of experts haven't they dsr.

Or rather, just the experts who hold the "wrong opinion". Experts who hold the right opinion are fine aren't they dsr.
You can either let the "experts" decide, or you can have democracy. You can't have both. The only expert in the question "do you want to be in the EU" is the person filling in the voting slip. No expert can tell me what I want, no expert can tell you what you want.

These people that don't like referendums because it leads to Brexit, and that don't like parliamentary sovereignty because it leads to referendums - what system of government would they put in place that is designed to stop the public having their say, but could still be called democracy? Or would they say sod it, we don't want democracy anyway?

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:35 pm

dsr wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:24 pm
You can either let the "experts" decide, or you can have democracy. You can't have both. The only expert in the question "do you want to be in the EU" is the person filling in the voting slip. No expert can tell me what I want, no expert can tell you what you want.

These people that don't like referendums because it leads to Brexit, and that don't like parliamentary sovereignty because it leads to referendums - what system of government would they put in place that is designed to stop the public having their say, but could still be called democracy? Or would they say sod it, we don't want democracy anyway?
Just pointing out that it's pointless to criticise people for liking things that agree with their beliefs, and not liking things that contradict their beliefs.

Everyone does it, and the example of the side of the 'brexiters' is their disregard for experts who say things they don't like, followed by their attentiveness to experts who say things they do like.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:37 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:35 pm
Just pointing out that it's pointless to criticise people for liking things that agree with their beliefs, and not liking things that contradict their beliefs.

Everyone does it, and the example of the side of the 'brexiters' is their disregard for experts who say things they don't like, followed by their attentiveness to experts who say things they do like.
Specifically what I am criticising is people who are opposed to democracy. I don't think that is ever pointless.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:48 pm

dsr wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:37 pm
Specifically what I am criticising is people who are opposed to democracy. I don't think that is ever pointless.
They opposed the result of one democratic question, not democracy as a principle. I think it's worth trying to appreciate that small but not insignificant difference.

I opposed the result of the general election the other month. I don't want a dictator to rule over us though.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:10 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:48 pm
They opposed the result of one democratic question, not democracy as a principle. I think it's worth trying to appreciate that small but not insignificant difference.

I opposed the result of the general election the other month. I don't want a dictator to rule over us though.
You're confusing "disapproved of" and "opposed". If you don't like the result but you accept it, that's democracy. If you don't like the result so you work to see that the result is ignored, that is not democracy.

It isn't possible to be a democrat if you won't accept a democratic vote. If you only support democracy when it gets the right result, then you aren't supporting democracy. Democracy is all or nothing.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:19 pm

dsr wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:10 pm
You're confusing "disapproved of" and "opposed". If you don't like the result but you accept it, that's democracy. If you don't like the result so you work to see that the result is ignored, that is not democracy.

It isn't possible to be a democrat if you won't accept a democratic vote. If you only support democracy when it gets the right result, then you aren't supporting democracy. Democracy is all or nothing.
I can certainly see why you think that, and indeed have some sympathy for your view here.

I think if you'd have said to someone like Jo Swinson though, who was one of the few who opposed the result and wanted it overturned, that you can cancel Brexit but must then cancel all forms of democracy and accept a dictatorship, she would have opted for Brexit. It wasn't a legally binding result at the time, and I'm not sure how much democracy as we know it was ever really under threat.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:54 pm

Must admit as a 'remoaner' I put my x in the wrong box 3 and a half years ago, I've been giddy today celebrating all the sovereignty and control I never realized was missing from my life for the past 50 years.

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:54 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:47 pm
I didn't know #thick was trending until you pointed it out.

It seems to be because they've interviewed some Brexiters or Leavers or whatever you want to call them, #thick is the most accurate.
Yes, I saw one where they interviewed a disabled guy who voted to leave.
https://twitter.com/MarieAnnUK/status/1 ... 19938?s=19
I'm not sure all the thickos are on the same side if I'm honest

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:55 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:45 pm
Oh they were jokes? Given the general stupidity of many of your comments it’s almost impossible to differentiate. Unfortunately many really don’t understand what the translation period I presumed you were one of them. It’s not like we have had to spend the last 3 years trying to explain some really basic concepts to people like you.
People like me?
What? All 17.4 million of us?