Well then, is that now another poor to average windows?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
burnley007
Been Liked: 639 times
Has Liked: 670 times

Re: Well then, is that now another poor to average windows?

Post by burnley007 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:17 am

Poor

Again

claret wizard
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:42 am

Damo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:43 pm
A young right back with pace would have been nice but I'm sure we will address that close season
Not read all the thread but we should be looking at Bogle, should have gone for him last summer.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:18 am

claret wizard wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:42 am
Not read all the thread but we should be looking at Bogle, should have gone for him last summer.
Scored a screamer tonight didnt he

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:35 am

All these poor to average transfer windows and we’re 13th in the Prem. Can’t wait to see where we end up once we finally have a good one.

Just a reminder there’s not a single club of our size in English football doing better than us right now. Who is it we’re aiming to be?
These 2 users liked this post: Holtyclaret LeadBelly

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:54 am

We have added depth to the squad which is all that is required at this point in time so very happy.

I don't think these Clubs/Managers that feel the need to recruit 5 or 6 players every window have any sort of strategy beyond the following weekend. :lol:
Last edited by JohnMac on Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1879 times
Has Liked: 837 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:55 am

NottsClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:35 am
All these poor to average transfer windows and we’re 13th in the Prem. Can’t wait to see where we end up once we finally have a good one.

Just a reminder there’s not a single club of our size in English football doing better than us right now. Who is it we’re aiming to be?
It’s all about going to the ‘next level’ Notts whatever that means.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:58 am

Restricted budget limits your options. Perhaps SD and MG have earmarked the summer for a re build with the contracts situation. We all know we have to ship some out in order to improve the squad. I'm sure SD wanted more in and will be fustrated but by the same token he knows exactly what the restrictions are. I'm happy with the addition and im happy with our choice of Manager. Lets hope our new recruit has a real impact for us.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:02 am

A right back would have been great, but I wasn't expecting us to get Brownhill in tbh so not too disappointed. Summer is massive though, as others have already pointed out. Signing players in January allows them to bed in gradually and get a full pre season in with us. We all know about "Dyche fit", if we sign players at the end of the summer window it's probably October/November before Dyche trusts them to play.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:09 am

I honestly don't see how there can be a 'next level' when Clubs with more wealth and resource have tumbled down the football pyramid.

Remaining in this league regardless of position is a huge task and everytime we achieve that must be regarded as a success.

We have reached a level that can't be bettered and winning a trophy isn't really the bee all and end all in the modern game.

Would I like to see us win the FA Cup or League Cup? Absolutely!

Will I lose sleep if we don't win anything? Will I 'eck!

I wish us continued success dining at the top table for as long as it is possible.
These 4 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm ClaretMov Holtyclaret bfcmik

bobinho
Been Liked: 4092 times
Has Liked: 6568 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:30 am

I’m happy enough with what we’ve done. Could I be happier? Yeah, course.... we all could. But we brought in a player who has OBVIOUSLY been a target, and that’s great because he’s been looked at for a while and for me there’s no doubt that when he eventually gets a start, he will slot right in.

I think I’m disappointed in losing wells now he’s starting to get a few, albeit at a slightly lower level, but with Vydra obviously being frozen out, I think I would’ve preferred losing him as opposed to wells.

Can’t say I’m going to use not losing McNeil as a plus regarding the window... for my money he hasn’t done enough to have people banging the door down. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan, really I am, but he’s not even close to being a player the big six would want. So that makes him a mid table PL player. And that’s right where he is right now, and he’s doing it with us.

Let’s see how we manage to get Brownhill into the team, that for me is the biggy.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1040 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:39 am

Imagine spending 18m + 7m in add ons to get a wide player in from Hull. Then realising at the match on Saturday that your two wide players are purchased from Hull and are likely to be your better two players and you allegedly tried to scupper a deal for midfielder going to Burnley.
Imposter syndrome.

Oh sorry anyway, January windows always difficult to get players in and a premium to be paid. Brownhill good addition, Wells to stay in the Championship and is off the books. Squad not weakened although one or two perhaps understandably unhappy players in Vydra and Gibson and nobody around us have really strengthened in comparison. So an ok window.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:47 am

Brilliant window because we didn't lose any of the starting xl

We brought in a very good midfielder with an eye for goal a leader on the field for not a lot of money in the modern game and at a good age, with all player's it's a gamble but for the money this one I feel is worth the risk.

Come the summer we need to move on player's like Lennon, Brady Lowton, Hart, Vydra, Gibson and possibly Hendrick if he doesn't sign a new deal but personally I'd keep him just because the positions he can cover, some of those player's could be used + cash to bring in player's like the winger at QPR.

This summer should see big changes to the team, 5 or 6 out and similar number's in to freshen up the team and to push the regular starting xI that almost picks itself.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:29 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:47 am
Brilliant window because we didn't lose any of the starting xl

We brought in a very good midfielder with an eye for goal a leader on the field for not a lot of money in the modern game and at a good age, with all player's it's a gamble but for the money this one I feel is worth the risk.

Come the summer we need to move on player's like Lennon, Brady Lowton, Hart, Vydra, Gibson and possibly Hendrick if he doesn't sign a new deal but personally I'd keep him just because the positions he can cover, some of those player's could be used + cash to bring in player's like the winger at QPR.

This summer should see big changes to the team, 5 or 6 out and similar number's in to freshen up the team and to push the regular starting xI that almost picks itself.
If Jeff doesn’t sign a contract we won’t be keeping him as he’s at the end of his contract in the summer - that was my understanding anyway.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5069 times
Has Liked: 6839 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:33 am

It was a quiet window all round. The Sky presenters must yearn for the days when Redknapp and co were greasing agents palms, allegedly.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:36 am

MrTopTier wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:39 am
Imagine spending 18m + 7m in add ons to get a wide player in from Hull. Then realising at the match on Saturday that your two wide players are purchased from Hull and are likely to be your better two players and you allegedly tried to scupper a deal for midfielder going to Burnley.
Imposter syndrome.
Not sure where signing players from Hull is an issue. They play at the level pretty much all of our signings always come from.

Bowen LOOKS to be an outstanding prospect. The price they’ve paid seems fair given what we played for a central midfielder who is older from the same level.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:10 am

"Bowen LOOKS to be an outstanding prospect. The price they’ve paid seems fair given what we played for a central midfielder who is older from the same level."

Older its not 5 or 6 years its almost 12 months to the day and that makes no difference at all

Personally I think we got the better deal when you compare price for price, I watched Bowen v Chelsea live in the fa cup and okay it's just one game but he looked lightweight, slow for being a prem winger and didn't really get past his marker much against prem opposition.

He put a few crosses in and almost all never found his man.

The money we paid for Brownhill is a gamble like all transfers. Bowen looks good week in week out in the championship but the step up is massive.The money paid for Bowen is stupid and one West Ham shouldn't really be paying looking at the money situation they are in.
Last edited by ClaretMov on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1006 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:23 am

Exactly so.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:25 am

A good window and the start of a gentle, gradual rebuild. Of course, we'll need to buy in the summer and discard a few , no doubt about that, but we can look forward to the last third of the season with confidence.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:32 am

It's been an ok window. We lost Drikwater and replaced him with the permanent signing of Brownhill. We also got some money for Wells (or used him in the deal) who has never really had a future at Burnley.

I agree that there are going to be a significant number of players leaving in the summer and a decent overhaul required. The wages we get off the wage bill will certainly create some room for incomings but I fear we may need to sell somebody (other than Gibson and Vydra) to fund the 4/5/6 players we need to come in.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:33 am

MACCA wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:29 pm
With the only arrival being Brownhill ( and I think it's a good purchase) has this window been another flop in terms of player recruitment and squad strengthening?

How many is that now that fans have been left a bit underwhelmed and the squad looking a little weak?
Without reading whole thread it’s fine. We filled the no.1 priority. The pressure is on a bit in Summer though so someone will have to pull their finger out then.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 520 times
Has Liked: 212 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:34 am

Decent January window unless you are an attention seeking UTC poster who thinks he could do a better job than Mike Garlick.
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:58 am

Decent window, happy enough.

Would have loved us to sign a, raw pacey right winger to work with in the latter half of the season, but assuming the January premium prevented that.

Would also have liked us to have made a loan move for Fosu Mensah at United. Can play RB and CDM, two areas we need to improve, so would have been good to take a look at before summer. Appreciate his loan moves didn’t go well but suspect he’s the type of player Dyche could polish.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:40 pm

Blackrod wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:33 am
Without reading whole thread it’s fine. We filled the no.1 priority. The pressure is on a bit in Summer though so someone will have to pull their finger out then.
Was merely asking for peoples thoughts.

Heard mixed views from various fans.

Think due to the scale of the summer rebuilding job the majority wanted at least 1 more in so they're here and up to speed for the summer

We cant be building a squad a week before the summer window shits that's for sure, and we arent known for acting swiftly and getting the squad in place for pre season are we.

Be interesting that's for sure
This user liked this post: rob63

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:56 pm

houseboy wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:15 am
Out of interest, and with respect, how long do you think you would be satisfied with that? Have you any other longer term aspirations? Serious question asked with genuine interest.
A long, long time.
For Burnley to be in the top flight and have survived multiple seasons without a sugar daddy is extraordinary.

Look at cup winners, there's a reason it's always the big teams because they can afford a deep squad. So not upset we can't challenge for a cup.
The league, it's the top few teams and everyone. So finishing 17th or 7th, I enjoyed the latter but I'm happy anywhere in that range.

We're in the conversations, podcasts praising JayRods goal, Match of the Day, Pope & Wood in fantasy teams , smart spending on academy infrastructure which will be there for a generation.
It's the dream for us and If fans can't see it because they are always chasing the next thing I feel quite sorry for them.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie bfcmik

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:07 pm

MrTopTier wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:39 am
Imposter syndrome.

Oh sorry anyway, January windows always difficult to get players in and a premium to be paid. Brownhill good addition, Wells to stay in the Championship and is off the books. Squad not weakened although one or two perhaps understandably unhappy players in Vydra and Gibson and nobody around us have really strengthened in comparison. So an ok window.

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:36 am
Not sure where signing players from Hull is an issue. They play at the level pretty much all of our signings always come from.

Bowen LOOKS to be an outstanding prospect. The price they’ve paid seems fair given what we played for a central midfielder who is older from the same level.
Well its a good job they had one of those Hull lads playing today!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:24 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:56 pm
A long, long time.
For Burnley to be in the top flight and have survived multiple seasons without a sugar daddy is extraordinary.

Look at cup winners, there's a reason it's always the big teams because they can afford a deep squad. So not upset we can't challenge for a cup.
The league, it's the top few teams and everyone. So finishing 17th or 7th, I enjoyed the latter but I'm happy anywhere in that range.

We're in the conversations, podcasts praising JayRods goal, Match of the Day, Pope & Wood in fantasy teams , smart spending on academy infrastructure which will be there for a generation.
It's the dream for us and If fans can't see it because they are always chasing the next thing I feel quite sorry for them.
Again with respect, why would you feel sorry for someone who doesn’t want what you want? Maybe, just possibly, others may feel sorry for you? I don’t but some might.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:42 pm

houseboy wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:24 pm
Again with respect, why would you feel sorry for someone who doesn’t want what you want? Maybe, just possibly, others may feel sorry for you? I don’t but some might.
To steal a song, You got to Stop and Smell the roses.

Or you'll never be happy.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 776 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:46 pm

Looks a good decision not to allow Gibson to go to Watford