What's your second sport?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Re: What's your second sport?

Post by houseboy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:40 am

edison wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:12 am
Baseball is my first sport. Football my second
I know that American life blood includes baseball, it seems to run throught the very fabric of society there and it has seen some great movies with it included (not least one of the finest films ever made - Field of Dreams) but I've tried to watch it and, well, I just don't understand it. At one time I used to think it was a masculine version of rounders but it is obviously far more than that. Last time I tried to watch it the pitcher was throwing the ball at the batsman and the latter just appeared to be pleasing himself if he hits it or not. The bloke behind the batsman catches the ball, throws it back to the pitcher and it all starts again. This happened on a number of occasions. Sometimes the batsman hits the ball but nothing happens and sometimes he hits the ball and then he, and all the guys on the bases start to run round the diamond. I don't even know for sure how it is scored. It has fascinated me for years but it is as incomprehensible to me as quantum mechanics, in fact I think I know more about quabtum mecanics.

Any brief explanation would be welcome (if that is even possible).

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:48 pm

Ball has to be pitched over the plate between knee and shoulder (the strike zone) otherwise it's a ball. 4 balls and the batter walks to first.

Batter swings and misses and it's a strike. So it's a cat and mouse waiting for a pitch that he either can hit well or is in the strike zone and he has to hit it.

If the batter hits and it isnt in play (to either side of the diamond extending across the field (and stands) then iys foul and counts as a strike.

3 strikes and he is out.

If he is on 2 strikes he can't be out if he hits it foul (unless someone catches it).

3 outs and the inning is over for the batting team.

Batter can be caught out, struck out or tagged between bases (tagging is either tagging the base by holding the ball and contact with base and feilder - eg foot - or tagging man with the ball in hand before he is safely on base - ie in contact).

9 innings each. Keep circulating batter through all (min) 27 at bats. Winner is the one who scores most - if a tie keep playing extra innings until one wins

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:53 pm

Ps. Either cricket or baseball is my 2nd sport.

Love baseball - of course it helps to have a team to follow (I'm a massive Blue Jays fan)

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:53 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:53 pm
Ps. Either cricket or baseball is my 2nd sport.

Love baseball - of course it helps to have a team to follow (I'm a massive Blue Jays fan)

I’m a big baseball fan as well, Blue Jays are also my team, not surprising considering I’m in SW Ontario and Blue Jays are the only Canadian team. We did have Montreal Expos until they moved to Washington DC, much to the chagrin of Quebecers! Jays have had some success since their inception in ’77, won World Series back to back in ’93 and ’94 and had a good chance of making the WS a few years back, we’re currently in a rebuilding phase, in other words….we suck! Jays are at a disadvantage as far as attracting top line players, taxes are far higher in Canada and players don’t relish clearing customs time after time. Jays are third in the pecking order behind Raptors and Maple Leafs, when the on field product is good, the stadium is typically full-ish, when it sucks, attendance drops to less than 15k. Ownership, Rogers Communications, tend to be cheap, not wanting to shell out for top players.

Fun game to watch though, a boring game can turn into an excellent contest at the drop of the proverbial hat. I used to go to many games when living in Toronto, now I watch on telly, all games are broadcast live.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:24 pm

Football.. boxing is number 1.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:43 pm

exilecanada wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:53 pm
I’m a big baseball fan as well, Blue Jays are also my team, not surprising considering I’m in SW Ontario and Blue Jays are the only Canadian team. We did have Montreal Expos until they moved to Washington DC, much to the chagrin of Quebecers! Jays have had some success since their inception in ’77, won World Series back to back in ’93 and ’94 and had a good chance of making the WS a few years back, we’re currently in a rebuilding phase, in other words….we suck! Jays are at a disadvantage as far as attracting top line players, taxes are far higher in Canada and players don’t relish clearing customs time after time. Jays are third in the pecking order behind Raptors and Maple Leafs, when the on field product is good, the stadium is typically full-ish, when it sucks, attendance drops to less than 15k. Ownership, Rogers Communications, tend to be cheap, not wanting to shell out for top players.

Fun game to watch though, a boring game can turn into an excellent contest at the drop of the proverbial hat. I used to go to many games when living in Toronto, now I watch on telly, all games are broadcast live.
I was gutted when we lost to the Royals in 2015. Was watching all those playoff games live on BT and also watched the two bacl to back series in the early 90s. Now that was a good team. Still have a jays t shirt with Cito on the back 😁
Keep an eye on how we are doing but don't watch much live as its a late do!!!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32372 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:22 pm

I went once to a baseball game - was San Francisco Giants at home to Montreal at the old Candlestick Park. After 9 inning each it ended 1-1 and then we had extra inning, after extra inning, after extra inning before Montreal won. It went on to nearly 1 o'clock in the morning and I was freezing cold. I don't think it is on my list of popular sports, but I've not played it as much as edison, in fact I've not played it at all.

I have been inspired by edison to watch one sport though - I love hurling.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 pm

I`ll raise you on the baseball match !

I've been a few times to watch The Blue Jays including in the season they won the world series for the first time and I did quite enjoy it. The last time I went was 3 or 4 years ago and it ended up breaking records for the longest match....and it was painfully boring.
It went on to around the 23rd innings before one of the teams won. Bearing in mind you have already been there for about 4 hours to see the normal length of innings - which is probably 3 hours too long....you cannot imagine how boring this game was !!
We left after about the 12th or 13th innings then spent 2 or 3 hours getting out of Toronto centre and back to where we were staying...turned the TV on and it was still going on ! Could not even tell you who won....it put me off baseball for life !!

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:49 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 pm
I`ll raise you on the baseball match !

I've been a few times to watch The Blue Jays including in the season they won the world series for the first time and I did quite enjoy it. The last time I went was 3 or 4 years ago and it ended up breaking records for the longest match....and it was painfully boring.
It went on to around the 23rd innings before one of the teams won. Bearing in mind you have already been there for about 4 hours to see the normal length of innings - which is probably 3 hours too long....you cannot imagine how boring this game was !!
We left after about the 12th or 13th innings then spent 2 or 3 hours getting out of Toronto centre and back to where we were staying...turned the TV on and it was still going on ! Could not even tell you who won....it put me off baseball for life !!

There’s no question baseball is an acquired taste, as is cricket, I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying both sports. I would imagine many would consider a 5 day test match a snore fest, as is a baseball game lasting multiple extra innings, where as a 20 over match as all action, all the time. I can almost guarantee a baseball fan watching cricket for the first time would wonder what the hell is going on!

One of the beauties about baseball is a boring game can turn into a slug fest at the blink of an eye. An old NY Yankee catcher by the name of ‘Yogi’ Bearra, famous for his quirky quotes, once said “It’s never over until it’s over”.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:54 pm

Rugby Union. Cricket and boxing pushed it close.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:17 pm

exilecanada wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:49 pm
There’s no question baseball is an acquired taste, as is cricket, I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying both sports. I would imagine many would consider a 5 day test match a snore fest, as is a baseball game lasting multiple extra innings, where as a 20 over match as all action, all the time. I can almost guarantee a baseball fan watching cricket for the first time would wonder what the hell is going on!

One of the beauties about baseball is a boring game can turn into a slug fest at the blink of an eye. An old NY Yankee catcher by the name of ‘Yogi’ Bearra, famous for his quirky quotes, once said “It’s never over until it’s over”.
Yep you are spot on....and I love watching cricket but the North Americans would find it very strange a game can last 5 days and still be a draw !!
I don’t mind baseball to be honest - I’ve watched all the main American / Canadian sports in my visits - NBA, Canadian football and been to an MLS game too. The only one that I have never been able to get a ticket for is the ice hockey and I think that would probably be my favourite.

harpers_perm
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by harpers_perm » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:51 pm

I'll be specific here:

1. Bullfighting
2. Boxing
3. Golf (Play it quite badly but obsessed with it)
4. Fishing (For fresh air and to get away from family)
5. Cricket (20 overs only)
6. Darts (Have Dart board in hallway, best 501 check out 74 darts)
7. Snooker (Highest break 14)
8. Baseball (Family in Toronto so Blue Jays)
9. Womens Beach Volleyball (Great armchair viewing when everyone is out of the house and the curtains are drawn)
10. Womens Trampolining (Great armchair viewing when everyone is out and the curtains are drawn)

Sports I cannot abide.

1. The Pole Vault (Difficult to watch)
2. Ice Hockey (Can never see the puck so cant tell what's happening)
3. Mens Tennis (Dull)
4. Rowing (Cant see the point)
5. Archery (Not very exciting)
6. Weightlifting (Weird to watch)
7. Badminton (To much squeaking noises when viewing)
8. Table Tennis (Strange serving actions puts me off watching)
9. Wrestling (Dont trust people who find it entertaining)
10. Venezuelan University Paraplaegic Mud Wrestling (Dont get the scoring system)

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:54 pm

Cricket, boxing. Enjoy the NFL Show after Match of the Day as well in fairness.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 213 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:55 am

Watching - Rugby league

Participating in - Running (my first sport for doing, too many fines and aches for football

atlantalad
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by atlantalad » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:33 am

Tying me kangaroo down.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:04 am

F1 I always take a nap around 2 PM on a Sunday for a few hrs.