Vydra's Suitors

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Vydra's Suitors

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:57 am

Matej Vydra’s agent Ondrej Chovanec has spoken to the Russian press and claimed Rangers and Aston Villa had bids rejected for the Burnley striker during the January transfer window.

There’s been claims in the UK media that Vydra was close to signing for Rangers as Steven Gerrard looked to strengthen his squad, but a move to Ibrox collapsed.

With Rangers in the title race and Aston Villa in a relegation battle, both Gerrard and Dean Smith were looking to bring in players.

Speaking about the matter to Sport24, Chovanec said offers were rejected from Rangers and Aston Villa for his client: “Russian clubs are showing interest in Matej. But he also had offers from Rangers, Aston Villa and one major Ukrainian club. However, Burnley decided to keep him in the squad. They are short of strikers and that was the reason.”

He added: “He still wants to leave. He wants to move to a club where he can show his qualities. He wants to play regularly ahead of Euro 2020.”

Vydra has been a bit-part player for Sean Dyche this season, making just six Premier League appearances, scoring one goal.

With Euro 2020 just around the corner the attacker will want to be playing regular football in order to get selected for the Czech squad, but his situation at Turf Moor could hamper this.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/agent-confirm ... -rejected/

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Re: Vydra's Suitors

Post by superdimitri » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:39 am

His agent is a bit of a gobby ******* isn't he. Someone should tell him about Google translate.

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:00 am

Leeds fans thought they were after him

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:13 am

Alanstevensonsgloves wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:00 am
Leeds fans thought they were after him
Google translate isn’t as good as it could be

He actually said “one major Yorkshire club”
These 3 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Alanstevensonsgloves Leisure

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:45 am

I can well understand why Villa was never, ever going to be goer as we'd have been bonkers to help a potential relegation rival, whatever the price offered, but Rangers would have been a good move tbh.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:45 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:45 am
I can well understand why Villa was never, ever going to be goer as we'd have been bonkers to help a potential relegation rival, whatever the price offered, but Rangers would have been a good move tbh.
Rangers would have been good move for him but not for us.
We couldn’t risk letting both Vydra & Wells leave, especially with Barnes currently out. It would have left us with only 2 forwards

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:50 am

Where’s this goal he scored?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4186 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:52 am

Hibsclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:50 am
Where’s this goal he scored?
Port Vale away pre season friendly :D

His agent said they all count

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:14 am

'It would have left us with only two forwards'.

Effectively we are at that stage now. Unusual situation to be in.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:15 am

Just let him go as Dyche would rather play 4-5-1 than play him and we can now.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:40 am

If he is so unhappy at not getting game time (and confident that he will be able to find another 'more suitable' employer) then why doesn't he hand in his notice (4 weeks?) and become a free agent?

That's what I would do in his situation.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:48 am

Mala591 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:40 am
If he is so unhappy at not getting game time (and confident that he will be able to find another 'more suitable' employer) then why doesn't he hand in his notice (4 weeks?) and become a free agent?

You'd look pretty daft then
This user liked this post: rob63

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:54 am

As much as I love the club I do think that Vydra has been treated, at least on the face of it, very shabbilly. Okay Wood can't be dropped now, that would be ridiculous, and JR seems to be finding his feet nicely, but Barnes has been hit and miss this season (more miss than hit really) and Vydra still couldn't get a game. If he really wants to leave (and why wouldn't he) why don't we just let the lad go to where he will get a game? I don't care what anyone says a 20-odd goal striker, albeit in the Championship, is not a bad player, how can he be? Give him a game or let him go - he must hate Dyche by now.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:58 am

If we get another win before the Russian window closes I can see us letting him go. Dyche didn’t even start him v Norwich ffs

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7179 times

Post by Quicknick » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:10 am

wilks_bfc wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:13 am

B.P.A?

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:07 pm

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:54 am
As much as I love the club I do think that Vydra has been treated, at least on the face of it, very shabbilly. Okay Wood can't be dropped now, that would be ridiculous, and JR seems to be finding his feet nicely, but Barnes has been hit and miss this season (more miss than hit really) and Vydra still couldn't get a game. If he really wants to leave (and why wouldn't he) why don't we just let the lad go to where he will get a game? I don't care what anyone says a 20-odd goal striker, albeit in the Championship, is not a bad player, how can he be? Give him a game or let him go - he must hate Dyche by now.
I think the truth here is that if we have 4 senior strikers, one is always going to struggle for sufficient football unless we have extended cup runs (which can never be guaranteed), and so will feel badly treated.

Vydra will go in the summer, and we don't specifically need to replace him, we just need to make sure that we have enough players capable operating centrally in an emergency, or be comfortable that there's a lad in the development squad who we think is capable of stepping up to the squad in that emergency. I think we might have learned that 22 senior outfield players is a couple too many to keep happy.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:54 pm

claretspice wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:07 pm
I think the truth here is that if we have 4 senior strikers, one is always going to struggle for sufficient football unless we have extended cup runs (which can never be guaranteed), and so will feel badly treated.

Vydra will go in the summer, and we don't specifically need to replace him, we just need to make sure that we have enough players capable operating centrally in an emergency, or be comfortable that there's a lad in the development squad who we think is capable of stepping up to the squad in that emergency. I think we might have learned that 22 senior outfield players is a couple too many to keep happy.
I agree with what you are saying but also find it very frustrating that our 4th choice striker is not really an option - especially for a team which operates with two up front. A team that plays with two strikers should find it very useful to have 4 strikers, each of whom can bring something to the table rather than just a pecking order. As you say, whoever comes in to replace Vydra (whether that's another striker or a forward thinking midfielder) needs to be a serious contender for the starting XI and not just a reserve who is constantly on standby but never plays.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:03 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:54 pm
I agree with what you are saying but also find it very frustrating that our 4th choice striker is not really an option - especially for a team which operates with two up front. A team that plays with two strikers should find it very useful to have 4 strikers, each of whom can bring something to the table rather than just a pecking order. As you say, whoever comes in to replace Vydra (whether that's another striker or a forward thinking midfielder) needs to be a serious contender for the starting XI and not just a reserve who is constantly on standby but never plays.
I understand the argument for 4 strikers, but I'm far from convinced. Spurs play one up front, and they have one out and out striker on their books. United arguably had none till last week - because all of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood can play out wide, and at least 2 of them prefer it. Chelsea are essentially reliant on Abraham this season. Burnley need 4 striking options but not 4 strikers.

It's all very well wanting options who are different - but that creates selection headaches, results in players not getting the run of games they need to get up to speed, and potentially a lack of understanding because no two players play enough. Much more realistic to have 3 out and out strikers plus one or two others who can play up front or off a striker if needed.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm

claretspice wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:07 pm

Agreed. He will have to go in Summer as it is obvioous he has no future in Dyche's plans. I just wonder about the logic of keeping him even in this window. I know we needed cover with Barnes injured but no matter what has happened this season Vydra has not got a game. So even with Barnes injured would he even figure if Wood or JR were injured/suspended? What have we got in development?

I was thinking about this recently and I have been a Burnley fan all my life and been watching them for over 50 years and I cannot think of a single situation like this in all that time. It is indeed a mystery as to why he hasn't been used, especially since he didn't cost peanuts. I keep coming back to the conclusion that it is something personal between him and Dyche, I can think of no other explanation why a striker of proven ability (Championship) who cost circa £11m is not being used, even when existiung strikers were not exactly breaking pots.

I'm going to start a campaign - FREE VYDRA. :lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: Giftonsnoidea

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:12 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:13 am

At the moment that would Sheffield United then?

Incidentally wouldn't you be somewhat ashamed as a Yorkshireman that the biggest county in the country has only one club in the PL?

Oh how we laughed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatsupdoc
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by Whatsupdoc » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Houseboy cannot remember a similar situation in 50 years . What about VDS? I suspect there is a good reason that may come out sometime

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:27 pm

Kevin Long got on before him, he’s finished here, the sooner he leaves the better off everyone will be , Dyche obv doesn’t like him or rate him. It’s all about recouping the money now, loan or sale.

If he’s really bored he can come and join our 5 a side team :shock:

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:35 pm

best to let him go for the sake of the player and the team.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32420 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:47 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:40 am

4 weeks notice? :D - he’s under contract until the end of next season at least. Even then, we have a further year’s option if we wanted to exercise it.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:51 pm

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm
I was thinking about this recently and I have been a Burnley fan all my life and been watching them for over 50 years and I cannot think of a single situation like this in all that time.
Off the top of my head

Gentile
Peel
Helliwell
Van der Schaaf
Penny
Wells
Gibson
These 2 users liked this post: fidelcastro CatonClaret

CatonClaret
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by CatonClaret » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:51 pm
Off the top of my head

Gentile
Peel
Helliwell
Van der Schaaf
Penny
Wells
Gibson
Could be the beginning of a fun little game... Besart Berisha (yes he was injured a lot but even still)

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:03 pm

CatonClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Could be the beginning of a fun little game... Besart Berisha (yes he was injured a lot but even still)
Richard Eckersley... although I think we all knew he wasn't good enough from the limited time we saw him.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Off the top of my head

Gentile
Peel
Helliwell
Van der Schaaf
Penny
Wells
Gibson
But none of these (Gibson excepted) cost the equivalent of 11m and as far as I am aware didn't come with his reputation. I'm sure there are lots of players who never made it for one reason or another but Vydra was supposed to be a major signing for us. As for Gibson he has had some game time and he has two players in front of him that, by and large, are extremely consistant, the same can't be said of Barnes for instance.

I'm not having a go at anyone here and my only point is that it is a mystery all things considered. My theory about it being personal is as good as it gets being as how no-one has come up with anything better. Even if it is a personal thing no-one is to blame for that - some people don't get on and no amount of 'professionalism' can change that. Everyone is human.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:21 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Off the top of my head

Gentile
Peel
Helliwell
Van der Schaaf
Penny
Wells
Gibson
Only difference is that Vydra and Gibson have cost us a hell of a lot of money and maybe Wells - the rest were peanuts

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:21 pm

CatonClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Could be but if you keep it to players with big transfer fees and good reputations I think it will be a list of one. :lol:

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Am I missing something here?

There are 4 strikers and 11 players that can start a game therefore one striker is always going to be 4th choice. In Vydra's time at the club there have more in form strikers than him. Not sure why Dyche comes into question here, strange how some on here indicate they know more about vydra than dyche.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:27 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:21 pm
Only difference is that Vydra and Gibson have cost us a hell of a lot of money and maybe Wells - the rest were peanuts
Most of that list I'd forgotten existed. Some were only there for a fleeting moment it seems. And I don't think anyone considered Penny to be anything like 'major'. Wells arrived injured at a time he was signed in desperation. I haven't stood (or sat) there with a stopwatch but I wouldn't mind betting that Gibson has had a lot more gametime than Vydra and usually starts cup games - Vydra struggles to even do that.

FREE VYDRA! :lol:
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:40 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:23 pm
Am I missing something here?

There are 4 strikers and 11 players that can start a game therefore one striker is always going to be 4th choice. In Vydra's time at the club there have more in form strikers than him. Not sure why Dyche comes into question here, strange how some on here indicate they know more about vydra than dyche.
Read back mate, I haven't called Dyche into question at any time, I have simply said that it is:
A. a mystery
B. possibly personal
Vydra couldn't get into the team when Barnes was not playing well and we couldn't score and yet he is a proven goalscorer at a high level. If Dyche doesn't like him then it is understandable that he may be loathe to play him. Dyche, contrary to popular belief on here it seems, is human, with human frailties. We don't know what goes on, we can only surmise, and that is all I am doing, in the absence of any other explanation. I am simply putting myself in the position of Vydra and saying that if I were a top quality player (certainly at Championship level) and I made a big (ish) money transfer to a club I'd be seriously p!ssed off if I couldn't get a game in an area where a team was, at one point, struggling.
I'm not making definitive statements and I am not having a go at Dyche, I don't like some people and if I don't then I won't do them any favours - simple.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:47 pm

My guess is he's too much of a luxury player for us to carry in the premier league. I don't think he works hard enough and is simply a goalscorer.

We usually don't make many chances in games so strikers have to bring a lot more than only being able to score goals. For instance, we play for set pieces and it set pieces he offers nothing for the floated balls into the box we play.

So that paired with his attitude probably hasn't pleased Dyche.

He'll get his chance though, there's no way with two strikers we won't use him the rest of the season.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:56 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Off the top of my head

Gentile
Peel
Helliwell
Van der Schaaf
Penny
Wells
Gibson
To be fair the cost to the club is all relative to the period we were going through.
Of course it looks like Gibson and Vydra cost the club a lot more than the others - and in absolute terms they did. But in terms of where we were from a revenue, transfer budget and total salaries point of view some of the above list will be in a similar category to Vydra and Gibson.
Van Der Schaaf for example was on a well reported £10k a week plus a big signing on fee given his previous pedigree - as a fraction of our total income and wage bill at the time this would be significant. The £400k we spent on Diego Penny and his contract / wages would again not to be too dissimilar to Joe Hart in terms of relative terms to our total budgets.

All this proves is that all clubs and managers in whatever era have transfers that don’t work out and ultimately you are judged on the overall record on and off the pitch which for SD is very good indeed.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:57 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:47 pm
My guess is he's too much of a luxury player for us to carry in the premier league. I don't think he works hard enough and is simply a goalscorer.

We usually don't make many chances in games so strikers have to bring a lot more than only being able to score goals. For instance, we play for set pieces and it set pieces he offers nothing for the floated balls into the box we play.

He'll get his chance though, there's no way with two strikers we won't use him the rest of the season.
You're probably onto something there but the question then is why did we buy him? Surely he was watched? He must have been scouted for some time to invest somewhere around 11 million in him. If you're spending that kind of money then surely someone somewhere should have noticed a glaring hole in his work rate? As I said a mystery.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:00 pm

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm
But none of these (Gibson excepted) cost the equivalent of 11m and as far as I am aware didn't come with his reputation. I'm sure there are lots of players who never made it for one reason or another but Vydra was supposed to be a major signing for us. As for Gibson he has had some game time and he has two players in front of him that, by and large, are extremely consistant, the same can't be said of Barnes for instance.

I'm not having a go at anyone here and my only point is that it is a mystery all things considered. My theory about it being personal is as good as it gets being as how no-one has come up with anything better. Even if it is a personal thing no-one is to blame for that - some people don't get on and no amount of 'professionalism' can change that. Everyone is human.
At the end of the day, Vydra had scored goals in the Championship. I wouldn't think you could call him a major signing and I don't think anyone expected him to be a regular starter in the team. And Vydra has had far more game time than Gibson.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:03 pm

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:57 pm
You're probably onto something there but the question then is why did we buy him? Surely he was watched? He must have been scouted for some time to invest somewhere around 11 million in him. If you're spending that kind of money then surely someone somewhere should have noticed a glaring hole in his work rate? As I said a mystery.
Well we know he wasn’t the first choice transfer target for a start but I can’t believe for one minute we would not have watched him and done our research.
None of us are ever likely to know the full truth but for me it’s just a lot more of a logical explanation to think that Dyche and his team thought they could develop Vydra into a player good enough for the Premier League including improving his work rate and for whatever reason they and Vydra have not achieved that improvement.
And based on his previous record in the Premier League with Watford and WBA improvement was needed.
Dyche has improved lots of players under his period in charge and many have enjoyed easily the best spells of their careers under him so it was by no means an unreasonable thing for them to assume they could do this with Vydra.
Last edited by TVC15 on Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:04 pm

Well Vydra said himself that when Dyche signed him he wanted him because he offered something different to the team. So that's clearly why he signed.

The problem isn't so much with Vydra, but more that we haven't created a system that seems to suit playing with him.

I expect Dyche had in mind big man little man but discovered that big man big man actually works pretty well for us.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:00 pm
At the end of the day, Vydra had scored goals in the Championship. I wouldn't think you could call him a major signing and I don't think anyone expected him to be a regular starter in the team. And Vydra has had far more game time than Gibson.
Come on Tony, 11 million for us is a major signing and 20-odd goals in the Championship had us thinking Andre Gray was going to set the PL alight.

The game time thing has shocked me bud but I bow to your superior knowledge on those stats. Are you counting ALL games or just PL?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:16 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:03 pm
Well we know he wasn’t the first choice transfer target for a start but I can’t believe for one minute we would not have watched him and done our research.
None of us are ever likely to know the full truth but for me it’s just a lot more of a logical explanation to think that Dyche and his team thought they could develop Vydra into a player good enough for the Premier League including improving his work rate and for whatever reason they and Vydra have not achieved that improvement.
And based on his previous record in the Premier League with Watford and WBA improvement was needed.
Dyche has improved lots of players under his period in charge and many have enjoyed easily the best spells of their careers under him so it was by no means an unreasonable thing for them to assume they could do this with Vydra.
Fair points bud - fair points.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:25 pm

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:14 pm
Come on Tony, 11 million for us is a major signing and 20-odd goals in the Championship had us thinking Andre Gray was going to set the PL alight.

The game time thing has shocked me bud but I bow to your superior knowledge on those stats. Are you counting ALL games or just PL?
Since signing last summer, Vydra has played 411 minutes in the Premier League and Gibson has played 63. In all games, Vydra has played 790 minutes while Gibson has played 532.

Vydra has started three Premier League games for us. He played well in the home win against Bournemouth but at Cardiff and West Ham he was dreadful. From what I can see, it's not worked out, I've not seen anything to suggest he's good enough to be honest. It might be the way we play, it might be Dyche, it might be him, but I wouldn't want to see him being named in the team any time soon.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:32 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:47 pm

Just to be contrary if he is 'simply a goalscorer' then he would seem ideal in a side that ' don't make many chances' but I know it's not as simple as that.
However, I'm not too sure we will see much, if anything, of him for the rest.of the season. When Kevin Long came on at Everton I was convinced we'd seen the last.of him. We haven't but the amount of game time afforded him since tells me that we would have to be in an extremely difficult situation to see him entering the field of play for us again.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:32 pm

A 4th striker for a club our size should come out of the U23s when needed.

I can only think Rangers and Villa didn't offer anywhere near enough cash or it's poor business?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:35 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:25 pm
Since signing last summer, Vydra has played 411 minutes in the Premier League and Gibson has played 63. In all games, Vydra has played 790 minutes while Gibson has played 532.

Vydra has started three Premier League games for us. He played well in the home win against Bournemouth but at Cardiff and West Ham he was dreadful. From what I can see, it's not worked out, I've not seen anything to suggest he's good enough to be honest. It might be the way we play, it might be Dyche, it might be him, but I wouldn't want to see him being named in the team any time soon.
Well, you learn something every day. I did say I hadn't kept count. Thanks for that buddy.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:49 pm

Matej's agent represents Matej and therefore wont always say or do things that Burnley fans agree with.

On a personal level he's a good bloke, and i don't fault his actions. I would actually have expected a transfer request to go in on 1st January and Matej to have been far more active in agitating for a move. That he hasn't is to his credit imho

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:28 pm

VDS was on £7k/week increased to £14k when we got promoted for the 09-10 season
So that was £1.4 million over 3 years when a million bought a lot more than today

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Must say I'm totally perplexed that Vydra didn't go out somewhere on loan somewhere. Surely it would have benefited all parties. I'd be surprised if he got any quality game time again this season with us, barring injuries of catastrophic proportions. Personally think the lads got a lot to offer but for some reason or other he's never been given a real chance.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:52 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:32 pm
Just to be contrary if he is 'simply a goalscorer' then he would seem ideal in a side that ' don't make many chances' but I know it's not as simple as that.
However, I'm not too sure we will see much, if anything, of him for the rest.of the season. When Kevin Long came on at Everton I was convinced we'd seen the last.of him. We haven't but the amount of game time afforded him since tells me that we would have to be in an extremely difficult situation to see him entering the field of play for us again.
True, but I put that down to Vydra not being on the bench more than anything.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:46 pm

Dont think its that uncommon for a 4th striker to not get a lot of game time but where the situation seemed a little strange to me was how reluctant Dyche seemed to put him on the bench

Substitutions in professional football predominantly involve bringing on a forward and/or an attacking midfielder. Dyche however has often had 3 midfielders or even 3 defenders on the bench rather than include Vydra as a second striker.