Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Zlatan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:03 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:48 pm
How have you coped in the past when you've been in contact with someone had the flu?
What chance do you think you have of catching this virus
What chance do you think you have of dying from it
Do you still handle cash?
Do you eat out?
Do you open letters delivered by someone else
Do you drink in pubs ?
Or do you stay at home, don't see anyone, don't buy food, because guess what , somebody's touched that before you
all relevant questions and for me highlights where the "experts" could go some way to research the time-to-die for different surface types etc for the virus. If we knew for certain that on hard surfaces it took 12 hours to die, we could have a different approach to cleaning - i.e. cleaning wipes near door handles etc, or disposable tissues to use when opening doors. One thing that strikes me is that we have a government picture explaining about hand washing that shows a hand touching the door handle which is "infected" - so whats the point in washing your hands...?

The irony for me is that it is displayed next to a door (inside a toilet) where you have to touch the handle to exit...!

toiletdoor.jpg
toiletdoor.jpg (440.47 KiB) Viewed 4122 times

Claret32yrs
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Claret32yrs » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:13 pm

They really should have hand sanitisers outside the bathroom too. Mentioned this to the powers that be at work. No point washing your hands then getting more germs on them as you open the door.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:42 pm
I see our resident expert paulatky has been quiet since he's failed to back up his arguments, and shown in an excellent post how wrong he was
If we could just stick to the facts and stopped making things up, we would all be happier. I know someone will jump on and say another 50 have been confirmed, a miniscule number, yet how many in the same time have been diagnosed with flu, a virus spread the same way, and with a higher death rate.

I have been quiet because I have had better things to do and seen the thread turn into a slanging match since Ringo joined in,

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:16 pm

Another scary thing I learned today, apart from Dorries being a health minister, is that Chris Grayling has been promoted to head the govt security committee.

Everything this deeply incompetent MP touches quickly turns to shite, but still, let's promote him to head one of the most important committees in the land.

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:20 pm

I am sure that it was clearly stated by one of the health professionals on BBC that the virus on surfaces after 48 hrs was of no harm. I was very recently on a flight, I found myself washing my hands as soon as I entered the loo, then again before exiting, to exit used a paper towel folded, held the door open with my shoe and disposed of said towel.

Once back in my seat I found myself wondering about my steps that day, left the hotel in the airport, did I touch the door, had breakfast in the airport alone, trying to get away from others, plates cups cutlery, brought by others, how clean, did I wipe them done, passport/ticket check at check in and immigration did I wipe them down, on the plane, sit down, did I wipe the seatbelt before fastening. Always when traveling get blocked nose, keep hands away from face, impossible I found, did I wash hands before touching face. Not panicking but all things I have never thought of doing before, always believed you needed things to build up your immune system particularly as a child or for my children.

given I have flown twice in the last 10 days, been to an office I have never been to before and shook hands with everyone, been in numerous pubs/bars and restaurants I am now evaluating whether I should stay in more and catch up on some TV, should I go and buy the paint and supplies such that he can do a little decorating if it comes to the self isolation. My son would love it, more time to play his video games which drives me mad at times.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:22 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:15 pm
Good idea.
I'm not being funny but if there's a likelihood of being quarantined for a few weeks due to an unpredictable virus then it makes sense to have the following things in your house...

1: Bog roll
2: Milk and frozen food
3: Strong handwashing soap

Buying stuff you'll probably need sooner rather than later isn't panic buying, it's common sense.
Thanks, I’ve just got home, stocked up, i use the wrights coal tar soap similar to the old style carbolic soap, regarding the toilet roll & milk I’ll get tonight with asda online & the milk will be UHT long life milk, how often would advise on washing hands? Time wise how often? I usually just wash after doing tasks like weeding in the garden & messing about in the shed & the toilet etc, lots of tasks like washing the car & windows you are using soap & water to start with, so seems pointless washing again, thanks.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:27 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:48 pm
How have you coped in the past when you've been in contact with someone had the flu?
What chance do you think you have of catching this virus
What chance do you think you have of dying from it
Do you still handle cash?
Do you eat out?
Do you open letters delivered by someone else
Do you drink in pubs ?
Or do you stay at home, don't see anyone, don't buy food, because guess what , somebody's touched that before you
I have the flu virus 3 times last year and had 4 weeks off work.

Today I am on my second round of flu this year having been sent home yesterday with flu symptoms.

Don’t handle cash anymore.
Yes eat out
No letters are always opened when I get home by the other half.
One pub before the match.

I don’t really have any fear of seasonal flu, I just know I have to try to protect my chest from getting infected.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:28 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:57 pm
Definition/source? (for the rate part of the statement)
Chief medical officer, average 9000 deaths a year from flu in UK, I think we are at 6? For Corona?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:30 pm

paulatky wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:14 pm
I have been quiet because I have had better things to do and seen the thread turn into a slanging match since Ringo joined in,
Ok. What about the questions asked of you before he joined in?

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:31 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:47 pm
Dare I ask where you work - sounds like they need sorting out and shaming publicly...
It’s a FTSE100 airplane engine manufacturer.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:32 pm

WHO now declare it’s a Pandemic.

Like we didn’t know that already.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:35 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:27 pm
I have the flu virus 3 times last year and had 4 weeks off work.

Today I am on my second round of flu this year having been sent home yesterday with flu symptoms.

Don’t handle cash anymore.
Yes eat out
No letters are always opened when I get home by the other half.
One pub before the match.

I don’t really have any fear of seasonal flu, I just know I have to try to protect my chest from getting infected.
Then just carry on as normal you'll be fine, just stop posting shite on here that we're all going to die. Though I doubt you're being honest when you say you don't handle cash!!

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:38 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:28 pm
Chief medical officer, average 9000 deaths a year from flu in UK, I think we are at 6? For Corona?
OK. Calling that "rate" is rather loose but I understand.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:43 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:42 pm
I see our resident expert paulatky has been quiet since he's failed to back up his arguments, and shown in an excellent post how wrong he was
If we could just stick to the facts and stopped making things up, we would all be happier. I know someone will jump on and say another 50 have been confirmed, a miniscule number, yet how many in the same time have been diagnosed with flu, a virus spread the same way, and with a higher death rate.
I wish we had the same amount of data for flu so we could really do a comparison.

I have had flu like issues twice now this year but it’s not going to get into any figures anywhere. I am sure that’s the case for many people.

If you have read any articles on what’s going in Italy’s hospitals and think this virus is like flu, then nothing anyone says will convince you otherwise.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:45 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:38 pm
OK. Calling that "rate" is rather loose but I understand.
It might increase,who knows? But dealing in facts it needs a massive jump in the next 48 weeks to match that.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:45 pm

KateR wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:14 pm
Do you think you personally will contact the virus, how in the area/country you live do you think you will get food/staples for you and your family to live on?
Been thinking this for a while, now backed up by Merkel's boffin in Germany. Almost everyone is going to get it at some point. Just accept that, it's happening. All these closures and 'lockdowns' are only a delaying tactic to flatten the curve. If China goes back to work, the virus comes back. You can't stay in your house forever.

Covid19 is now just another virus we'll have to live alongside. The at risk groups will hopefully have a vaccine although not in time for this first wave.

Personally, all those at Notts' Towers will probably only have mild symptoms but I'm more than happy to go along with any measures in place to help slow the spread, we've all got to make a few sacrifices.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:45 pm

paulatky wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:14 pm
Add him to your foe list.
Click on his name and select add foe.
His posts are hidden then, been much better since I remembered to do that.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:49 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:43 pm
I wish we had the same amount of data for flu so we could really do a comparison.

I have had flu like issues twice now this year but it’s not going to get into any figures anywhere. I am sure that’s the case for many people.

If you have read any articles on what’s going in Italy’s hospitals and think this virus is like flu, then nothing anyone says will convince you otherwise.
The virus is spread the same way as flu, human contact.i have never said it's the same as flu, only that it's spread in similar ways, and nobody bats an eyelid when 9000 people die each year in the UK with flu.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:50 pm

KateR wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:20 pm
I am sure that it was clearly stated by one of the health professionals on BBC that the virus on surfaces after 48 hrs was of no harm. I was very recently on a flight, I found myself washing my hands as soon as I entered the loo, then again before exiting, to exit used a paper towel folded, held the door open with my shoe and disposed of said towel.

Once back in my seat I found myself wondering about my steps that day, left the hotel in the airport, did I touch the door, had breakfast in the airport alone, trying to get away from others, plates cups cutlery, brought by others, how clean, did I wipe them done, passport/ticket check at check in and immigration did I wipe them down, on the plane, sit down, did I wipe the seatbelt before fastening. Always when traveling get blocked nose, keep hands away from face, impossible I found, did I wash hands before touching face. Not panicking but all things I have never thought of doing before, always believed you needed things to build up your immune system particularly as a child or for my children.

given I have flown twice in the last 10 days, been to an office I have never been to before and shook hands with everyone, been in numerous pubs/bars and restaurants I am now evaluating whether I should stay in more and catch up on some TV, should I go and buy the paint and supplies such that he can do a little decorating if it comes to the self isolation. My son would love it, more time to play his video games which drives me mad at times.
We take the hand gel on flights, wipe down the whole of the seat and table in front and the head rest and seat belt.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:49 pm
The virus is spread the same way as flu, human contact.i have never said it's the same as flu, only that it's spread in similar ways, and nobody bats an eyelid when 9000 people die each year in the UK with flu.
Hopefully we can agree that the vast majority of people who die with flu are already seriously ill. As Zlatan has already argued and I agree with him.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:50 pm
We take the hand gel on flights, wipe down the whole of the seat and table in front and the head rest and seat belt.
Do you hand over your boarding card and passport for checking, actually I know the answer to that is yes, you have to, so everything else you do is pointless .

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:56 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:54 pm
Hopefully we can agree that the vast majority of people who die with flu are already seriously ill. As Zlatan has already argued and I agree with him.
As are the people who have died in the UK from Corona virus, your point being?

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:02 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:45 pm
Been thinking this for a while, now backed up by Merkel's boffin in Germany. Almost everyone is going to get it at some point. Just accept that, it's happening. All these closures and 'lockdowns' are only a delaying tactic to flatten the curve. If China goes back to work, the virus comes back. You can't stay in your house forever.

Covid19 is now just another virus we'll have to live alongside. The at risk groups will hopefully have a vaccine although not in time for this first wave.

Personally, all those at Notts' Towers will probably only have mild symptoms but I'm more than happy to go along with any measures in place to help slow the spread, we've all got to make a few sacrifices.
I tried to explain before the reason they want to flatten the curve.
If they don’t they overload the NHS and death rate goes up due to not having intensive care beds for those that need it.

What becomes acceptable, 3% , 6% , 10% death rate??

Luckily 80% appear to have mild symptoms, let’s hope it does not mutate and get worse.
This user liked this post: paulatky

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:08 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:31 pm
It’s a FTSE100 airplane engine manufacturer.
BAe, RR, or Meggitt (never heard of them!) then. They should be ashamed by ignoring your requests

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:10 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:49 pm
This is where I don't understand the reference to the flu deaths number. Of course this year's flu toll (I actually make it 17,000 per annum averaged over 5 years) is much worse than what we've had so far from this virus. But because of immunity and vaccines, flu can't do much more damage than that.

This virus could. If you don't trust me, take Angela Merkel 's view and multiply it by the low end of the only data we have about likely outturn - between 0.5 and 1.0% fatality rate. Don't take the current 6% fatality rate or the 3% that gets bandied about. And if a group of scientists model a different estimated IFR, take that.

So, we take appropriate actions to minimise the impact and spread the timeline both to ensure medical services can cope and hoping that first the weather and then science bring other avenues.

This doesn't seem controversial or difficult from a data point of view and I haven't changed my view on the possible impact in terms of deaths. Because the scientists haven't and I'm in no position to second guess them.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:30 pm
What questions ?

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:15 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:56 pm
As are the people who have died in the UK from Corona virus, your point being?
Well that’s unfortunately where we cannot agree on the percentages.

No matter what’s posted or linked your not going to accept that this virus could a killing a magnitude higher than flu.

So no point debating it.

Italy’s close case percentage deaths is 38.5%. This will reduce over time.

Active case percentage is 6%.

Flu has never got anywhere near these numbers.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:15 pm

Thought it was time for a chloroquine update:

The Chinese are using it first line
The Koreans using it with or without Kaletra
The Dutch using it as first line (adding Kaletra in serious cases)
The Italians in combination with Kaletra as first line
The French are starting trials

It's clearly not a wonder drug (see Italy!), but it's ridiculously cheap, quick to make, relatively safe, and there's growing consensus that it at least helps. If they have not started already, it's time for it to be mass produced in the UK. (But still no randomized controlled trials confirming its success, mind.)

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:17 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:10 pm
This is where I don't understand the reference to the flu deaths number. Of course this year's flu toll (I actually make it 17,000 per annum averaged over 5 years) is much worse than what we've had so far from this virus. But because of immunity and vaccines, flu can't do much more damage than that.

This virus could. If you don't trust me, take Angela Merkel 's view and multiply it by the low end of the only data we have about likely outturn - between 0.5 and 1.0% fatality rate. Don't take the current 6% fatality rate or the 3% that gets bandied about. And if a group of scientists model a different estimated IFR, take that.

So, we take appropriate actions to minimise the impact and spread the timeline both to ensure medical services can cope and hoping that first the weather and then science bring other avenues.

This doesn't seem controversial or difficult from a data point of view and I haven't changed my view on the possible impact in terms of deaths. Because the scientists haven't and I'm in no position to second guess them.
You hit the nail on the head when you said this virus could be worse, by the same logic it might not be worse....we don't know, nobody knows,certainly not you, or me, but I'll stick to the current facts and not try to guess what might,or might not happen. If death rates hit the same as flu I might take more notice

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:30 pm
What questions ?

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 756 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 pm

My employer has been very good about it. Anybody with an underlying health issue has been ordered to work from home indefinitely.

Doesn't give me any guarantees but the the less exposure to packed trains and offices the better

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 pm

If it be your will wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:15 pm
Thought it was time for a chloroquine update:

The Chinese are using it first line
The Koreans using it with or without Kaletra
The Dutch using it as first line (adding Kaletra in serious cases)
The Italians in combination with Kaletra as first line
The French are starting trials

It's clearly not a wonder drug (see Italy!), but it's ridiculously cheap, quick to make, relatively safe, and there's growing consensus that it at least helps. If they have not started already, it's time for it to be mass produced in the UK. (But still no randomized controlled trials confirming its success, mind.)
Never had Chloroquine but used to be on a metabolite of it, Hydroxychloroquine.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:23 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:10 pm

Why would you not use data that’s out there.

There is now more than enough data for it to be statistically accurate and relevant.

The argument there are undetected cases is valid.
But it’s more valid for flu because who bothers the doctor with flu.

I have said all along this is not being treated seriously enough.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:24 pm

paulatky wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:12 pm
What questions ?
Let's just take the one I asked 3 times, why do you compare the UK outbreak to that in Italy, given the obvious lifestyle differences which make viruses spread by human contact far more likely in a country where bodily contact is the norm,to ours where it's frowned upon?

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:24 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:17 pm
You hit the nail on the head when you said this virus could be worse, by the same logic it might not be worse....we don't know, nobody knows,certainly not you, or me, but I'll stick to the current facts and not try to guess what might,or might not happen. If death rates hit the same as flu I might take more notice
You're right, people should not guess. I will continue to discuss the best available science being made available by those who have expertise

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:25 pm

Croydon Claret wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 pm
My employer has been very good about it. Anybody with an underlying health issue has been ordered to work from home indefinitely.

Doesn't give me any guarantees but the the less exposure to packed trains and offices the better
No football then?

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:26 pm

Grumps wrote:
Most of the hopes for thinking this would turn out less bad than flu (I listed them towards the start of this thread) have largely vanished. Chloroquine is pretty much the only hope left now, but even if it proves to work at all, it will likely only take the edge off.

From here, it will take an absolute miracle for this to kill less than flu in the year 2020, either in the UK or globally. I can't honestly see where the breakthrough might come from. (Any suggestions, anyone?)

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:26 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:23 pm
Why would you not use data that’s out there.

There is now more than enough data for it to be statistically accurate and relevant.

The argument there are undetected cases is valid.
But it’s more valid for flu because who bothers the doctor with flu.

I have said all along this is not being treated seriously enough.
I would not use data that experts warn is not a reliable measure. Because I know the limitations of my understanding. If they say it's not reliable, that'll do for me.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:28 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 pm
Never had Chloroquine but used to be on a metabolite of it, Hydroxychloroquine.
Interestingly enough, a recent in vitro study in China suggests Hydroxychloroquine might be more effective than chloroquine phosphate (so if you have any left in the back of the cupboard!).
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:28 pm
Interestingly enough, a recent in vitro study in China suggests Hydroxychloroquine might be more effective than chloroquine phosphate (so if you have any left in the back of the cupboard!).
I probably do have some knocking around somewhere. However, it can take weeks to start working.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:32 pm

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:26 pm
Most of the hopes for thinking this would turn out less bad than flu (I listed them towards the start of this thread) have largely vanished. Chloroquine is pretty much the only hope left now, but even if it proves to work at all, it will likely only take the edge off.

From here, it will take an absolute miracle for this to kill less than flu in the year 2020, either in the UK or globally. I can't honestly see where the breakthrough might come from. (Any suggestions, anyone?)
What do you base your theory on?

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:32 pm

"Your assumption that 60% of a population will get the virus is ridiculous".

That was said on here not long ago.

"Up to 70% of Germany could become infected", Angela Merkel 11th March...

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:35 pm

Grumps wrote:
I do really like how you can blindly ignore the stats in front of us.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:36 pm

With the common side effects & interactions that’ll only be suitable for some people even if it was successful, some high risk groups may consider the best option is to leave it well alone & let nature find a way.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/chloroquine
Last edited by Jakubclaret on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:25 pm
No football then?
After this weekend no one will be going to football.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:39 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:32 pm
You think it will be less severe. You may not want to commit to a figure but broadly how do you see this playing out? Do very few people get the virus because it's not as transmissible as thought? Do initial studies get superseded by later ones showing the fatality rate is much lower? Does it drop off in virulence with spring? Is there a vaccine/cure intervention? Genuinely interested to know how you're seeing this work through.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:39 pm

“As a NHS GP, I’m worried that what we are not doing enough to protect the country from the global COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. There are a number of steps the Government should undertake immediately to help slow the spread of the virus in the UK.
Those of us on the ground in the NHS are worried that the steps we are taking are too little too late. We are not in as strong a position as we were for the H5N1 bird flu outbreak in 2009. That’s why I’m calling for the Government do the following:
Suspend time-consuming reviews (appraisal and revalidation) for NHS doctors until the emergency is over in order to free up our time to attend to the sick and reduce the effects of the virus on public health and wider society.
Help bring former doctors and nurses out of retirement (including offering emergency indemnity coverage) to help with the scale of the crisis
Provide remote access for GPs to their systems to mitigate the quarantine”
Last edited by paulatky on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:39 pm

I think it will come, it’s just when!!!!

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:41 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:32 pm
c50% infection rate with a c2% mortality rate. That is (an average approximation) of the growing consensus of the current trajectory. This explains the dramatic interventions made by governments that are not made for seasonal flu.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:43 pm

Italy shuts down its postal system...