Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mapinchina
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:23 pm
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by mapinchina » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:56 am

I live in Hongshan District, Wuhan, Hubei Province, China....where the Coronavirus / COVID-19 alledgedly began.
I can assure you that the situation is very serious.
Hubei Province amongst others is "Locked down"....the srteets/roads are deserted, completely.
As for the face masks, I am forbidden to leave my apartment without wearing one.
And....the only reason I leave my apartment is to go to the communty gate to collect any food that is available, usually biscuits and crisps.
For those who doubt my account of the situation, I suggest that you TRY to come here and see for yourself....

Longsider
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:03 pm
Been Liked: 314 times
Has Liked: 408 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Longsider » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:15 am

mapinchina wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:56 am
I live in Hongshan District, Wuhan, Hubei Province, China....where the Coronavirus / COVID-19 alledgedly began.
I can assure you that the situation is very serious.
Hubei Province amongst others is "Locked down"....the srteets/roads are deserted, completely.
As for the face masks, I am forbidden to leave my apartment without wearing one.
And....the only reason I leave my apartment is to go to the communty gate to collect any food that is available, usually biscuits and crisps.
For those who doubt my account of the situation, I suggest that you TRY to come here and see for yourself....
We are being told that China has broken the back of this. Is there any sense things are starting to change? Good luck, although I think we all need a bit of luck now.

mapinchina
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:23 pm
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by mapinchina » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:10 am

Yes, the situation has improved here in Wuhan, Hubei Province.
The "Lock down" appears to be working.
In fact it's being reported that Wuhan is now the safest place !
I do think that you will need luck as I cannot imagine people in the UK or Europe abiding to a "Lock down" for long....until people start being infected or dieing.
Good luck to all.

morpheus2
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 am
Been Liked: 457 times
Has Liked: 1281 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by morpheus2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:22 am

Sophie Trudeau tests positive.

damo_whitehead
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:02 pm
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 105 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by damo_whitehead » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:27 am

I think we can all be certain that the government number of confirmed cases is nowhere near actual

thatdberight
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:29 am

damo_whitehead wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:27 am
I think we can all be certain that the government number of confirmed cases is nowhere near actual
Well, seeing as the Prime Minister said so himself yesterday, that seems to be a safe bet. Still, well done for mentioning it.

Hibsclaret
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 641 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:30 am

I’m no expert but when you have Merkel banging on about 70% of the German population getting the virus it is a big worry. However, if China have broken the back of it how can those German estimates be true...

There’s a whole lot of conjecture being spouted and we really need to learn quickly from what China have done to slow this down as Italy, whatever they are doing, seems out of control, certainly in terms of numbers dying vs actual cases (currently 6.7%)

damo_whitehead
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:02 pm
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 105 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by damo_whitehead » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:32 am

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:29 am
Well, seeing as the Prime Minister said so himself yesterday, that seems to be a safe bet. Still, well done for mentioning it.
Thank you, rare to get a nice comment on here :)

Bfcboyo
Posts: 1723
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:30 pm
Been Liked: 362 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:40 am

mapinchina wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:10 am
Yes, the situation has improved here in Wuhan, Hubei Province.
The "Lock down" appears to be working.
In fact it's being reported that Wuhan is now the safest place !
I do think that you will need luck as I cannot imagine people in the UK or Europe abiding to a "Lock down" for long....until people start being infected or dieing.
Good luck to all.
What is the noise coming out of China as to what the actual source or cause of the virus may have been?
How restrictive has travel been , can people move between towns ? Or is it restricted further to areas ?

Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 6422
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 2048 times
Has Liked: 1175 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:40 am

damo_whitehead wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:27 am
I think we can all be certain that the government number of confirmed cases is nowhere near actual
Hopefully the number of people who have had it so far will be much much higher than the “official” number.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Lowbankclaret
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:42 pm
Been Liked: 619 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:49 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:31 pm
Haven’t most recovered and been given the all clear. Or have I misunderstood that?
If you go on the Worldometer site. All the data is there.
You can look at it and draw your own conclusions

Bfcboyo
Posts: 1723
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:30 pm
Been Liked: 362 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:49 am

Screenshot_20200313-074155_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200313-074155_Samsung Internet.jpg (166.77 KiB) Viewed 768 times
I find some of the new daily case numbers to be very suspicious. Poster above is right let's get it build up immunity and isolate the most at risk. Surely government spending on local task forces that helped isolate the vulnerable whilst delivering food and caring for them would cause less deaths , speed up the virus life cycle until more people are resistant and probably cost less than eventually doing an Italy or a China.

As I technically employ myself I certainly won't be isolating from work at the first sign of a temp. I will however avoid the over 60's where possible.

thatdberight
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:52 am

Bfcboyo wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:49 am
Screenshot_20200313-074155_Samsung Internet.jpg

I find some of the new daily case numbers to be very suspicious.
What do you mean by this?

Bfcboyo
Posts: 1723
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:30 pm
Been Liked: 362 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:11 am

They seem absurdly low showing either nobody is being tested hardly or people covering up true numbers.

thatdberight
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:16 am

Bfcboyo wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:11 am
They seem absurdly low showing either nobody is being tested hardly or people covering up true numbers.
Because why? Which ones?

paulatky
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 am
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by paulatky » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:46 am

HunterST_BFC wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:33 am
For anyone who wants a half hour read.
Much is explained
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca
Reading through that report is really frightening.

Concludes that overall death rate will be 3.8%

Zlatan
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:06 pm
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 987 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Zlatan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:52 am

paulatky wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:46 am
Reading through that report is really frightening.

Concludes that overall death rate will be 3.8%
you do realise that the person writing that article is not an expert at all (at least not a medical expert), he's just a "Joe Public" who has become popular because of a social media spread - his article has gone "viral" (ironically) because its pretty. His info is also being misinterpreted (IMO) and I have highlighted one issue previously (regarding South Korea).

So to infer that the death rate will be 3.8% is f#cking absurd and you should stop doing it, even if you read it on something that looks official (because it's not!) Please check the sources of your info before repeating rubbish that can cause others to worry unnecessarily (again!).

Here's his linked In profile https://www.linkedin.com/in/tomaspueyo/
These 2 users liked this post: Grumps Gordaleman

paulatky
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 am
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by paulatky » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:04 am

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:52 am
you do realise that the person writing that article is not an expert at all (at least not a medical expert), he's just a "Joe Public" who has become popular because of a social media spread - his article has gone "viral" (ironically) because its pretty. His info is also being misinterpreted (IMO) and I have highlighted one issue previously (regarding South Korea).

So to infer that the death rate will be 3.8% is f#cking absurd and you should stop doing it, even if you read it on something that looks official (because it's not!) Please check the sources of your info before repeating rubbish that can cause others to worry unnecessarily (again!).

Here's his linked In profile https://www.linkedin.com/in/tomaspueyo/
We will only know the true rate in say 9-12 months time.

As I have said before I hope I am absolutely wrong.

What do you disagree with in that article.

It all made perfect sense to me.

Zlatan
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:06 pm
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 987 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Zlatan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:10 am

paulatky wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:04 am
We will only know the true rate in say 9-12 months time.

As I have said before I hope I am absolutely wrong.

What do you disagree with in that article.

It all made perfect sense to me.
In my previous reply to you when you first posted the link but ignored my reply...
Zlatan wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:31 pm
Thanks for the link Paulatky - I notice the author highlights South Korea as somewhere the virus "cases have exploded" - yet the deaths for South Korea are at a rate of 0.8% which is significantly lower than the rest of the world. Interesting that isn't it?

I think the reason is that the South Korean's are actively testing and promoting testing as opposed to testing only those who show symptoms, so they are "catching" an amount of the hidden population numbers that are being missed worldwide - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51836898

I believe that this approach is a good approach to fighting this, and it is going a long way to show that it isn't as deadly as the media are currently reporting. Serious, yes, Armageddon, no.
I’ll maintain that the actual death rate for this when it’s all done and dusted will be lower than it currently is in South Korea (0.8%) because as I have previously stated, the denominator for the rate is currently unknown but can only be larger than already known - which means the rate will be lower.

Lowbankclaret
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:42 pm
Been Liked: 619 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:19 am

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:10 am
In my previous reply to you when you first posted the link but ignored my reply...



I’ll maintain that the actual death rate for this when it’s all done and dusted will be lower than it currently is in South Korea (0.8%) because as I have previously stated, the denominator for the rate is currently unknown but can only be larger than already known - which means the rate will be lower.
I don’t want to enter old arguments but we could both select countries stats that support our arguments.
Perhaps we could add some balance by quoting a country with low stats and one with high.

thatdberight
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:21 am

paulatky wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:46 am
Reading through that report is really frightening.

Concludes that overall death rate will be 3.8%
To be fair, you were pretty frightened already

Caballo
Posts: 767
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 am
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Caballo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:22 am

Just been outside to check, the sky is still there!
Last edited by Caballo on Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulatky
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 am
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by paulatky » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:24 am

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:21 am
To be fair, you were pretty frightened already
Thats true, at least we agree on something.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Gordaleman
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:04 pm
Been Liked: 209 times
Has Liked: 223 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am

HunterST_BFC wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:33 am
For anyone who wants a half hour read.
Much is explained
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca
Interesting article written by someone who is not an expert but has obviously done a lot of work.

Three points that I picked out.

1. The far east have reacted to this virus much faster, and in a better way than the west. (The US response appears to have been particularly bad.) So maybe some people on here could learn that not all foreigners are stupid? Blaming an entire nation for something they had little or no control over is a bit xenophobic. A similar virus could just as easily spread from an infected pig in Britain.

2. According to at least one graph, Britain's rate of infection seems to be much the same as other countries, even though we are tackling it in a different way.

3. Social distancing seems to work and because of my underlying health condition I will be leaviing home only when I really need to.
This user liked this post: paulatky

jackmiggins
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:29 pm
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by jackmiggins » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:28 am

Apologies if the sceptic in me has lead me down the wrong path. I’m a little surprised that our friend in China last posted in December, on a completely different subject? Especially as he/she has had little to do, but pick biscuits up from the gates??

paulatky
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 am
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by paulatky » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:31 am

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:10 am
In my previous reply to you when you first posted the link but ignored my reply...



I didnt post the link it was someone called Hunters

Lowbankclaret
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:42 pm
Been Liked: 619 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:33 am

In the interest of balance, I hope anyway!

Zlatan quoted South Korea. Latest data works out at 0.97% fatality rate.
B9A29EFC-536A-4033-B370-EFD6305B3C5D.png
B9A29EFC-536A-4033-B370-EFD6305B3C5D.png (324.23 KiB) Viewed 475 times
At the other end of the scale we have Italy, same calcs, Latest data works out at 8.69%.


846A5BB5-1A49-45FF-A32C-6BEEE42D46DB.png
846A5BB5-1A49-45FF-A32C-6BEEE42D46DB.png (244.36 KiB) Viewed 475 times

Now I have no idea where we are going to end up with all this, but the data shows at least to me why the Italians are reacting the way they are.
Currently we here are not in the same place as Italy and hopefully we don’t get there either.

Let’s hope we are more like SK.

FactualFrank
Posts: 19652
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5537 times
Has Liked: 9392 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Coronavirus

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:35 am

Without anybody replying, mentioning any poster in a derogatory way, in fact not mentioning any other poster at all because it's annoying the rest of us...

I read that the virus can live on surfaces for up to 3 days (although I've also read 9) and that people who are infected, can still pass it on within 14 days (although I also read nearer double this), then if the country was in total lock down for 1 month, wouldn't that go a long way to controlling it, at least in this country?

I ask, because I've heard 4 months being mentioned.

paulatky
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 am
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by paulatky » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:35 am

Everton squad now all self isolating

Gordaleman
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:04 pm
Been Liked: 209 times
Has Liked: 223 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:35 am

Everton squad in lockdown as 1st team player reports symptoms.

Can't see the PL carrying on.

Lowbankclaret
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:42 pm
Been Liked: 619 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:39 am

jackmiggins wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:28 am
Apologies if the sceptic in me has lead me down the wrong path. I’m a little surprised that our friend in China last posted in December, on a completely different subject? Especially as he/she has had little to do, but pick biscuits up from the gates??
I was going to post some questions for them to answer as I to was a little sceptical.

The one thing I do know, up the clarets was the only website I could access when I was in China. Burnley football club was blocked as was just 95% of normal sites I use.

Perhaps he could post some photos of his surroundings.

jackmiggins
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:29 pm
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by jackmiggins » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:41 am

Shouldn’t only confirmed cases be noted? 5 days, with no improvement seems to be the advised time to be tested. Until then, it is most likely to be a cold.

Gordaleman
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:04 pm
Been Liked: 209 times
Has Liked: 223 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:44 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:35 am
Without anybody replying, mentioning any poster in a derogatory way, in fact not mentioning any other poster at all because it's annoying the rest of us...

I read that the virus can live on surfaces for up to 3 days (although I've also read 9) and that people who are infected, can still pass it on within 14 days (although I also read nearer double this), then if the country was in total lock down for 1 month, wouldn't that go a long way to controlling it, at least in this country?

I ask, because I've heard 4 months being mentioned.
The stats are very surprising. I would have thought that droplets on surfaces would dry out very, very quickly and that that would also dry out and kill the virus. After all it's water based, just like every other living thing.

Zlatan
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:06 pm
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 987 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Zlatan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:45 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:33 am
In the interest of balance, I hope anyway!

Zlatan quoted South Korea. Latest data works out at 0.97% fatality rate.

B9A29EFC-536A-4033-B370-EFD6305B3C5D.png

At the other end of the scale we have Italy, same calcs, Latest data works out at 8.69%.



846A5BB5-1A49-45FF-A32C-6BEEE42D46DB.png


Now I have no idea where we are going to end up with all this, but the data shows at least to me why the Italians are reacting the way they are.
Currently we here are not in the same place as Italy and hopefully we don’t get there either.

Let’s hope we are more like SK.
I highlighted SK for a reason, and explained my reason. They are testing far more of the population so have a much more accurate denominator - they don’t just have results from people affected but also those who are not affected.
Last edited by Zlatan on Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

thatdberight
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:45 am

jackmiggins wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:41 am
Shouldn’t only confirmed cases be noted? 5 days, with no improvement seems to be the advised time to be tested. Until then, it is most likely to be a cold.
Where are unconfirmed cases being noted? I don't understand your point.

Lowbankclaret
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:42 pm
Been Liked: 619 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:47 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:35 am
Without anybody replying, mentioning any poster in a derogatory way, in fact not mentioning any other poster at all because it's annoying the rest of us...

I read that the virus can live on surfaces for up to 3 days (although I've also read 9) and that people who are infected, can still pass it on within 14 days (although I also read nearer double this), then if the country was in total lock down for 1 month, wouldn't that go a long way to controlling it, at least in this country?

I ask, because I've heard 4 months being mentioned.
I agree the data out there is so confusing.
I have read the same stuff as you.
I have heard Dr Hilary on TV say 5 days on hard surfaces.
I read a study done in China found people who have recovered are still spreading the virus up to 5 weeks after becoming well.

I found this study yesterday, seems to have done some testing on the virus.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20033217v1
60918275-1D77-4DBA-8704-F2E64F5C4325.png
60918275-1D77-4DBA-8704-F2E64F5C4325.png (452.55 KiB) Viewed 403 times

Lowbankclaret
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:42 pm
Been Liked: 619 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:52 am

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:45 am
I highlighted SK for a reason, and explained my reason. They are testing far more of the population so have a much more accurate denominator - they don’t just have results from people affected but also those who are not affected.
I agree, that can certainly be a massive variable in the data.

I also don’t understand the UK strategy of just reducing testing and letting people get ill.

It’s back to the days of sending kids to play with their ill friends like my mum did with mumps.
I never got it even after being around two different kids who were really ill with it.

Erasmus
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 1:46 pm
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Erasmus » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:54 am

The most accurate figure for mortality rates might well be provided by the cruise ship, Diamond Princess. That was a closed environment in which everyone was tested. In that case there were about 700 confirmed cases of whom 7 have since died. Of course, others may die in the future but that was a couple of weeks ago now. These figures would suggest that the actual mortality rate is about 1% although cruise ships may have a disproportionate number of older people as passengers.

It seems likely that the very high mortality rate in Italy is due to the fact that they have not been testing a lot of people so the number of actual cases is probably much higher. Interesting that the medical authorities in the UK are suggesting that the number of actual cases is probably ten or even twenty times higher than confirmed cases, suggesting again that mortality rates might be lower.
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan cricketfieldclarets

jackmiggins
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:29 pm
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by jackmiggins » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:54 am

thatdberight- Self isolation is not confirmation that a test has been carried out.

FactualFrank
Posts: 19652
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5537 times
Has Liked: 9392 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Coronavirus

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:56 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:47 am
I agree the data out there is so confusing.
I have read the same stuff as you.
I have heard Dr Hilary on TV say 5 days on hard surfaces.
I read a study done in China found people who have recovered are still spreading the virus up to 5 weeks after becoming well.
Ok, so if we go to the max on both: 5 days for the virus to remain on surfaces + 35 days people can still spread it + the 7 days being ill + 5 days for people to have it, but not yet have started any symptoms... that comes out at around 52 days.
Last edited by FactualFrank on Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zlatan
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:06 pm
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 987 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Zlatan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:56 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:35 am
Without anybody replying, mentioning any poster in a derogatory way, in fact not mentioning any other poster at all because it's annoying the rest of us...

I read that the virus can live on surfaces for up to 3 days (although I've also read 9) and that people who are infected, can still pass it on within 14 days (although I also read nearer double this), then if the country was in total lock down for 1 month, wouldn't that go a long way to controlling it, at least in this country?

I ask, because I've heard 4 months being mentioned.
valid points Frank, and I think that this subject in relation to the virus is where I would put some research money if I was in charge.

It is important to understand the methods of infection and the durability of the virus over a time-frame. My understanding of any virus that is outside the body (all viruses require a living host to survive) is that the potency of the virus is diminished over that timeframe. I.e. the suggestion is that the same virus on a surface (door handle for example) will lose potency over time.

Contracting the virus when it is in a lower state of potency may affect your outcome, it may not though and I am no expert in this. Hence my suggestion for the research. I am sure that this research has already be done for other viruses and they can probably extrapolate the data for Coronavirus, but again they wont be certain until the empirically test for this.

Hope that makes sense...

Gordaleman
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:04 pm
Been Liked: 209 times
Has Liked: 223 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:58 am

Not exactly a Steve Bruce fan but he's right here.

Newcastle manager Steve Bruce: “We’ve prepared for the game and people talk about it being behind closed doors but if we play football it’s for one thing – the supporters.

"For me, suspend it, shut it down and rearrange it for another date when the situation is clearer.”

Imagine if the Liverpool derby is played behind closed doors on Monday. Thousands of fans will still turn up at the ground to try and create an atmosphere, so they might as well be inside.

thatdberight
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:00 am

jackmiggins wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:54 am
thatdberight- Self isolation is not confirmation that a test has been carried out.
OK. You're right. I haven't seen (and certainly haven't used) any such stats.

FactualFrank
Posts: 19652
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5537 times
Has Liked: 9392 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Coronavirus

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:03 am

So, if China are in 'lock down' for 52 days, when they do come out to start working again...

1. Those who had it will have either recovered or passed away.
2. Any surface that had the virus on it, will no longer.
3. Those who have recovered won't be able to pass it on to someone who hasn't yet had it.

But as you mention Zlatan, one would think the scientists will already know all of this. But maybe that's why China are doing what they are doing. And why Social Distancing + washing hands / not touching face, as simple as it sounds, is possibly the best method going forward.

CrosspoolClarets
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:00 pm
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 223 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:04 am

The chap above from Wuhan makes interesting posts.

I read a epidemiologist report on Wuhan on Twitter last night and this guy suggested that 95% of the residents remain vulnerable to catching it once restrictions are lifted.

Basically, sooner or later, it will go through the whole planet like a dose of salts. That seems to be the conclusion our government has reached, and so they want immunity building up now. Not sure the Chinese approach should be praised just yet.

Paul Waine
Posts: 6042
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:28 pm
Been Liked: 1388 times
Has Liked: 1692 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:04 am

Ok, I think all we know is that we don't know.

Some may remember I mentioned I was skiing in Austria. And, as imagined by one poster I met some Italians carrying a gondola up the slopes (I also smiled at the image).

Yesterday, I was taken off the slopes by the medics, after a fall and concussion. I've enjoyed the care of Austrian hospital. Now waiting for my discharge papers.

Let's all enjoy life. Let's try not to get "over excited" about someone posting something you don't agree with. Maybe you do know better, or maybe the other poster does. More likely we are all speculating and trying to make sense of something that we haven't experienced before.

Take care, everyone.

And UTC when the Premier League gets going again.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Zlatan

jackmiggins
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:29 pm
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by jackmiggins » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:06 am

I was only responding to the post regarding Everton in ‘lockdown’

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18280
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 7022 times
Has Liked: 9861 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:06 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:33 am
In the interest of balance, I hope anyway!

Zlatan quoted South Korea. Latest data works out at 0.97% fatality rate.

B9A29EFC-536A-4033-B370-EFD6305B3C5D.png

At the other end of the scale we have Italy, same calcs, Latest data works out at 8.69%.



846A5BB5-1A49-45FF-A32C-6BEEE42D46DB.png


Now I have no idea where we are going to end up with all this, but the data shows at least to me why the Italians are reacting the way they are.
Currently we here are not in the same place as Italy and hopefully we don’t get there either.

Let’s hope we are more like SK.
My friends in italy have been panicking hugely about this for over a month. And constantly telling us not to take it as lightly as we are.

I dont know why its seemingly so much worse there. Or why they predicted as such weeks ago. But I imagine it could be the aging population and less ability to manage it.

boatshed bill
Posts: 5502
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 2594 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:07 am

Some common sense
Newcastle manager Steve Bruce: “We’ve prepared for the game and people talk about it being behind closed doors but if we play football it’s for one thing – the supporters.

"For me, suspend it, shut it down and rearrange it for another date when the situation is clearer.”

Gordaleman
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:04 pm
Been Liked: 209 times
Has Liked: 223 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:11 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:07 am
Some common sense
Newcastle manager Steve Bruce: “We’ve prepared for the game and people talk about it being behind closed doors but if we play football it’s for one thing – the supporters.

"For me, suspend it, shut it down and rearrange it for another date when the situation is clearer.”
I posted that earlier and agree with you.

Champion's League now suspended.
Last edited by Gordaleman on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply