Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:17 am

Has Corona virus done to Ringo what a Trump presidency did to implodingturtle and jews did to bluelab?

Mala591
Been Liked: 684 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:18 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:05 am
Just about every Airline is going to ground around 75% of their fleets.

That’s me out of a job.

Just hope I can sort my pension out.
The country/world in now facing the ultimate Catch 22 situation.

Lock down and isolate vast numbers of economically active individuals and risk the complete collapse of the economy OR don't lock them down and risk the potential collapse of the NHS and numerous deaths but keep the economy going

If you were Prime Minister what would YOU do?

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:20 am

This is interesting. Don't just read the headline and laugh it off. These things do happen.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1182694.shtml

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:21 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am
Perhaps you are still clinging on to the video that was released very early after the the outbreak claiming to show a woman in Wuhan apparrently eating bat. That was actually filmed in 2014 by an American travel writer in the middle of the Pacific on the island of Palau.
Haven’t watched it. I have spoken to people who have eaten some of these items and seen it for myself. Just accept you were wrong to post what you did. That’s all.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:21 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:03 am
Who knows!!
Just glad there is the foe option.
There is another option available.

Stop being a stubborn, mutton headed person and simply admit your over reacted . You over reacted to my suggestion that border controls could help in slowing the spread and quarantining the virus, by branding me "racist"

I may be being criticised, even mocked, for persisting . However, you point blank refusal to hold your hand up is not a good look either.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3078 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:24 am

jedi_master wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:10 am
A 59 year old is the 'very elderly'?
Underlying health problems, did you not read it, or doesn't it suit your argument.....

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:24 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:17 am
You labelled me "racist" for making a suggestion ,that has subsequently, been adopted by countries all over Europe and the world.

Branding some one "racist" on a public forum is serious. I'm giving you the opportunity to either, back up your accusation, report me to the moderators and log my posts as a ",racist " hate crime. Or, stop letting your ego do the driving and put it on the back seat and apologise and retract those accusations.

Our borders should be manned better.

People recognise that UK is one of the best places for free healthcare.
People are still coming here for free healthcare when we cant fund it properly for those already here. Flight into Shannon then bussed into UK preferred route

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:28 am

Blackrod wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:21 am
Haven’t watched it. I have spoken to people who have eaten some of these items and seen it for myself. Just accept you were wrong to post what you did. That’s all.
No, I'm not wrong. Your post implied that the people of Wuhan caused this outbreak by eating bat. Bat wasn't sold on the Wuhan market where they think this outbreak began and bat is not a local delicacy in Wuhan either.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3078 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:28 am

thatdberight wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:02 am
While I come to the same conclusion as you, there's no science that supports your 99.5% figure. That's a huge overstatement.
It's a habit I have of trying to put a perspective on most issues, I hold my hand up, but the message is still the same. The number walking around with tin foil on their heads, when they have nothing to fear is ridiculous. If we spent our energy, and focussed resources at those at risk, we would be far better served and we wouldn't need to have this mass hysteria.
These 4 users liked this post: thatdberight Gordaleman Damo tiger76

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:29 am

Yet again. We're off with nonsense...

All sourced well away from the current hysteria.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anim ... -pangolin/
"...poaching and trafficking have left the Chinese pangolin critically endangered. Despite protections, in some parts of Asia, including China and Vietnam, pangolin meat is considered a delicacy"

2012: https://www.chinadialogue.net/article/s ... xtinction-
"Cantonese appetites are gobbling up endangered species including the pangolin, giant salamander, wild snakes and owls..."

2015 : https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.10 ... 25220-9_12
"North Asia. Bats are not specifically protected in China and many species are eaten, especially in southern China, where bats are found regularly in markets (Mickleburgh et al. 2009) (Table 12.1, Appendix). Requests from international agencies following the SARS outbreak, (which resulted in several hundred human deaths) that wildlife legislation be introduced in China prohibiting inter alia hunting and sale of bats have been ignored."

Ridiculous what some people will say on here.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6445 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:30 am

Just for a little balance and perspective... I spoke to my dad last night on FaceTime (like I have been every night for a while now), he's not been well and has only recently get back home after 3 months in hospital. He is 82 years old (83 in June) essentially bed bound and suffering with Parkinsons and chronic heart failure and at one point during his hospital stay we were taken into a room and discussed DNR with the doctors. He is also a retired Maths teacher and he does still understand mathematics to a high level even though his faculties are failing elsewhere. Here's the thing, he's been watching the news and seeing the panic on TV and his observation was sweetly put.

He said "If I get this virus you do realise that there's a 4 in 5 chance I'll survive..." and he smiled, knowing that I understood what he meant.

He was referring to when I had personal problems and he left me a simple note in my wallet all those years ago, it was simply "half full" written in his hand writing. A lot of people on here and outside in the big bad world need to take that lesson on board.

The vast majority of people need to realise that their odds are much better than my dad's and for most young healthy people it is a case of a 9,999 chance in ten thousand of surviving or better. If he can see the odds in a positive manner so should everyone else, yet they panic buy stuff and are worried by all the headlines. The panic will cause more deaths that this bloody virus if people keep worrying, and I am more worried about that than the virus.

Be well all
These 6 users liked this post: Gordaleman Colburn_Claret Damo KateR evensteadiereddie tiger76

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:39 am

paulatky wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:24 am
Our borders should be manned better.

People recognise that UK is one of the best places for free healthcare.
People are still coming here for free healthcare when we cant fund it properly for those already here. Flight into Shannon then bussed into UK preferred route
To be fair Paul, I agree with your arguement, but had I said the same I'd have been accused of bringing politics into the thread. Believe it or not, I was accused of just that when I made my suggestion that the border posts that have been allowed to fall into disrepair as part of the European union Free movement of people policy. Could have utilised in helping to slow the spread of the virus and quarantining! Even though it was a thread about the virus.

Your opinion that "Our borders should be manned better." Isn't a million miles away from what I said. I was branded by several posters as "racist".......

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:43 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:28 pm
Taiwan has stalled the infection by implementing some fairly mild restrictions.
Compulsory mask wearing outside of the house. Out Gov says it does nothin but their experience says otherwise. Temperature checks everywhere and hand sanitizer.

Perhaps we could learn from this?
Hi Lowbank, a number of East Asian countries follow the protocol of wearing a face mask if you have a cold or other illness. I understand it is intended to limit the spread of infection to others. The thought came to me, also, earlier this morning, whether "the west" will develop similar protocols going forward.

My understanding is that health authorities (not just "gov") says that wearing a face mask does not protect from getting infected - that's where washing hands is so important - and not touching your face.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:49 am

Mala591 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:18 am

Lock down and isolate vast numbers of economically active individuals and risk the complete collapse of the economy OR don't lock them down and risk the potential collapse of the NHS and numerous deaths but keep the economy going

Exactly what I said a few weeks ago.

Very difficult decision but from a personal point of view I would want a better future for my sons and grandchildren even if that means my wife and myself have to be sacrificed.
I have had a great life so no regrets.
This user liked this post: thatdberight

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:51 am

paulatky wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:49 am
Exactly what I said a few weeks ago.

Very difficult decision but from a personal point of view I would want a better future for my sons and grandchildren even if that means my wife and myself have to be sacrificed.
I have had a great life so no regrets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cdFuMgMkBM

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:57 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:43 am
Hi Lowbank, a number of East Asian countries follow the protocol of wearing a face mask if you have a cold or other illness. I understand it is intended to limit the spread of infection to others. The thought came to me, also, earlier this morning, whether "the west" will develop similar protocols going forward.

My understanding is that health authorities (not just "gov") says that wearing a face mask does not protect from getting infected - that's where washing hands is so important - and not touching your face.
I did learn when I went to China two years ago, I thought people were wearing masks for the pollution. I was educated that if you have a cold etc in China it’s compulsory to wear a mask when out in public.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:57 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:39 am
To be fair Paul, I agree with your arguement, but had I said the same I'd have been accused of bringing politics into the thread. Believe it or not, I was accused of just that when I made my suggestion that the border posts that have been allowed to fall into disrepair as part of the European union Free movement of people policy. Could have utilised in helping to slow the spread of the virus and quarantining! Even though it was a thread about the virus.

Your opinion that "Our borders should be manned better." Isn't a million miles away from what I said. I was branded by several posters as "racist".......
Even my own sons said the same to me when we discussed it as a family a few weeks ago.They implied I was a racist for suggesting it.

However I think you should let your argument with Lowbank rest.

Would be good if he could accept he shouldnt have used the term racist.

Lowbank has posted a lot of good stuff that has panned out to be what has actually happened.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:01 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:57 am
I did learn when I went to China two years ago, I thought people were wearing masks for the pollution. I was educated that if you have a cold etc in China it’s compulsory to wear a mask when out in public.
It just goes to show that these 'Funny foreigners' are way ahead of the west in many ways and that we still have some very old fashioned ideas about them.

Look at the Covid 19 figures. Most of the Far Eastern countries are dealing with it better than the west. They learned from SARS. We didn't.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:16 am
I'm sure that you are right and the practice of skinnining a snake is horrific in western eyes, but why is eating a particular animal frowned upon? Many people eat strange things including the Brits. The Cockneys love Jellied Eels. Some people eat sea slugs and sea cucumbers. Really, what's the difference?

My point is that this virus did NOT come fron a bat in Wuhan market, although an animal sold there may (And they don't know yet.) have been infected by a bat. If it hadn't been a bat, it could easily have been an animal people find more pleasant to relate to. A horse?
I am not horrified by it. I have killed, skinned many wild uk animals, that used to be legally allowed. I was just pointing out that I had seen it myself, cannot remember who said it was not happening in China.
They have banned it now, let’s hope it continues.

I am not sure how you can say it did not come from a bat or other animal in Wuhan.

I think the main difference here to there is health checks on food sold to the public.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:04 pm

I am not sure how you can say it did not come from a bat or other animal in Wuhan.
Because that's what the WHO says. They do not know where it came from although they 'Suspect' a wild bat (Not a market bat.) may have infected an animal that ended up on the market.

Some people on here are trying to deal in facts, not speculation. Occasionally, I might speculate, but when I do, I make it clear it is speculation but I never blame 'Jonny foreigner' just because he's foreign.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Just had an update on the Nurse I spoke about yesterday.
Today she is really poorly but still at home.
Her children and husband have stayed at home today.

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:17 pm

Ooh - Grizzly Adams - can’t understand why anyone can glory in killing many types of wild animals??? I’m a carnivore, but am happy to leave the demise of ‘farmed’ animals’ to professionals. Not acceptable - end of.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:18 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:12 pm
Because that's what the WHO says. They do not know where it came from although they 'Suspect' a wild bat (Not a market bat.) may have infected an animal that ended up on the market.

Some people on here are trying to deal in facts, not speculation. Occasionally, I might speculate, but when I do, I make it clear it is speculation but I never blame 'Jonny foreigner' just because he's foreign.
I agree that’s what I had read, they think it came from the market, but could not pin it onto a specific animal.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:18 pm

paulatky wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:57 am
Even my own sons said the same to me when we discussed it as a family a few weeks ago.They implied I was a racist for suggesting it.

However I think you should let your argument with Lowbank rest.

Would be good if he could accept he shouldnt have used the term racist.

Lowbank has posted a lot of good stuff that has panned out to be what has actually happened.
No.

He may posted a lot of good stuff that has panned out to be what has actually happened.

I suggested that border controls, border checks by functioning, manned staff could help. That's all I said. And low and behold, that's exactly what many many countries have done.

But I was branded "racist" by Lowbank and a group of others. Lowbank compared me to Adolf Hitler. I've met Lowbank personally TWICE. He knows a bit about me. He should know better to brand me "racist". He should be man enough to admit he over reacted. It's as simple as that.
This user liked this post: paulatky

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:19 pm

I’m sure that all of our prayers and thoughts are with her and her family.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:21 pm

More racism, this time from the WHO daring to suggest that improved hygiene in food markets will reduce future incidents (and therefore by definition would have made the current one less likely):

"strengthening food control and market hygiene activities in live food market will be essential to protect people from similar and other zoonotic diseases."

Just jumping on the anti-foreigner bandwagon, I'd say.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:22 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:18 pm
I agree that’s what I had read, they think it came from the market, but could not pin it onto a specific animal.
You compared me to Adolf Hitler. You branded me a racist for making a suggestion that has subsequently been adopted by nations all over the world.

Either report me to the police for a hate crime. Or grow a pair and admit you were as wrong , and a out of order as you could have been.

You're doing the equivalent of social media version of sticking your fingers in your ears, like a toddler, and going "waaaah! I cant hear you!"

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:18 am

Personally, I would be looking at other countries that appear to have this under control without lockdowns.
South Korea and Taiwan being two.
South Korea has tested 265,000 people and are concentrating on control using testing. We stopped testing.
Taiwan, it’s compulsory to wear masks outside of your home, sanitizer gel virtually every where. We are saying masks don’t work so don’t wear them. The simple objective evidence is perhaps it does.

If I was PM, I would send experts to go, look, see. Is it true?? You only know if you go look.

If they come back and say yes a particular strategy appears to be working. Then implement it.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:27 pm

Ringo struggling with the block function again.

Excellent.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank rob63

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:27 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:19 pm
I’m sure that all of our prayers and thoughts are with her and her family.
Thank you.

I am just hoping what we are being told means she will be fine in a couple of days.

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:31 pm

I may well be infected sooner or later, but I’m pretty sure that I’ll attempt to avoid contact with people whenever possible. I am sure that many of them are inconsiderate, unhygienic and a threat. That theory has been gleaned from 59 years and won’t be overturned in the foreseeable future.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:31 pm

Prefer David Bowie’s version of Hero’s

Ok Gordaleman what would your answer be.
You should say rather than just mocking me.
I know you are of a similar age and have health problems like me but I have been very honest in what I would do and I hope my family would take solace from the fact I had chosen that route

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:33 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:17 pm
Ooh - Grizzly Adams - can’t understand why anyone can glory in killing many types of wild animals??? I’m a carnivore, but am happy to leave the demise of ‘farmed’ animals’ to professionals. Not acceptable - end of.
I used to do a lot hunting in my youth. No point in trying to hide the fact.

Like many people who did that back then, I still shoot wildlife, just now I use a Nikon with 500mm lens instead of Browning rifle.

The last time I shot and killed anything other than a rat was 30 years ago.
Last edited by Lowbankclaret on Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:33 pm

If only there was a world record for derailing threads - where is Norris McWhirter when you need him ?!!

Plus purely on a point of detail and naming etiquette surely the middle name would be Adolf rather than Hitler ?

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:35 pm

Governmental strategy is one thing. I’ll opt for my own thanks. Keep your distance and refrain from licking things. Good luck to all xxx

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:36 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:33 pm
I used to do a lot hunting in my youth. No point in trying to hide the fact.

Like many people who did that back then, I still shoot wildlife, just now I use a Nikon with 500mm lens instead of Browning rifle.
Going back to your original offensive posts and deleting your unthinking, moronic and imbecilic claims!

That's as good as admitting you messed up.

And by having me in your "foe list" makes you look even more cowardly!!

In the meantime I'll leave you adopting the mature "waaaah! I cant hear you!" approach!

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:41 pm

paulatky wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:31 pm
Prefer David Bowie’s version of Hero’s

Ok Gordaleman what would your answer be.
You should say rather than just mocking me.
I know you are of a similar age and have health problems like me but I have been very honest in what I would do and I hope my family would take solace from the fact I had chosen that route
I wasn't mocking you mate, I just thought it was a bit of light relief from the usual stuff on here.

Sorry if you took offence.

Me? I'm just hunkering down as best I can. I've no known living relatives so help will be harder to find. Online shopping is easy but I wouldn't normally do that for 'Fresh' food. I like my fruit, so I guess I'll still have to go out to get it.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:46 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:02 am
Check your facts. They don't eat bats and probably not snakes or pangolins either.

Perhaps you are still clinging on to the video that was released very early after the the outbreak claiming to show a woman in Wuhan apparrently eating bat. That was actually filmed in 2014 by an American travel writer in the middle of the Pacific on the island of Palau.
You said they don’t eat Bats or Snakes. You are wrong. They do. Just accept it like a grown up.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:49 pm

Blackrod wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:46 pm
You said they don’t eat Bats or Snakes. You are wrong. They do. Just accept it like a grown up.
It's a waste of time. If you can't respond to what I actually wrote, there's no point in going further.

This is typical of the right wing press lying about what people they don't like are said to do.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nimal.html

This was claimed to be inWuhan when it wasn't even in China, it was in Palau in 2014 and it was an American travel writer.

Still what does the truth matter if it hurts 'Jonny foreigner'?
Last edited by Gordaleman on Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:51 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:36 pm
Going back to your original offensive posts and deleting your unthinking, moronic and imbecilic claims!

That's as good as admitting you messed up.

And by having me in your "foe list" makes you look even more cowardly!!

In the meantime I'll leave you adopting the mature "waaaah! I cant hear you!" approach!

:lol:

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:57 pm

Blackrod wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:46 pm
Welcome to my world. A world where a certain poster will claim previous statements that are still visible were not said or they didn't mean what they said or when you show that they were completely false, you're "nitpicking".

Although this poster did also say he had "... never knowingly told a lie since I was a kid."

So, since you appear to be dealing with the Son of God, I'd watch my step if I were you.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:02 pm

just a bit of rambling:
surely since we all seem to have our own (strong) opinions we will do what we think is right for ourselves and our families in this time of hardship and worry for many. The Gov. doing things is very important in terms of the masses but without full on curfew and staying home such as I have seen from parts of Italy then we make hopefully sensible decisions. Some of the other Gov. decisions also seem futile for me, curfews at a certain time seem odd, either shut it down fully or not at all, close all borders or not at all. Saw pictures at some of the US airports where arriving passengers were taking 6+ hours to get through, that is probably an extreme case but maybe not, is it all US citizens trying to get home now or others trying to get in while they still can. Why not ban US citizens from traveling out, because they will come back and might be carriers, yet I suppose if you cut down by a large percentage on arrivals then chances are reduced. I see some countries are closing borders, it seems sensible in terms of isolation and essentially what China did to large areas/population and it appears to have worked, but when do you relax it, when they do will it spike again? So many questions and even the scientific community can not totally agree, who should the PM listen to, his chief advisors or those who signed a petition, either way every leader will have issues coming out of the actions they take. To late, to little, when to react, what should we react to, it when a certain number are know to be infected yet I think everyone sees that the known number is a fraction of the real number, do the calls to the hot get counted and form part of the decision making, does testing really help prevent spread?

Of course am sure there will be young people just going about there business as normal, has anyone noticed a big change from there daily routines and behavior, I certainly have but I've changed my behavior so bound to see changes. Schools being off always meant less traffic on the roads for example so not sure that is a good indicator, I have not bought anything more than I normal buy food/drink wise but have certainly noticed empty shelves. Yet I was always well stocked in the pantry, fridge and freezer, perhaps others weren't and were merely stocking up causing the empty shelves, I do think supermarkets could introduce an early hour where older people could shop.

I hope everyone stays safe.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

dsr
Been Liked: 4571 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:19 pm

I can't believe this thread dropped out of the top ten!!!

(curses.)

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:46 pm

so the US going to do drive through testing, seems like the way to go to me although no idea how that works, has anyone heard similar in the UK, I have not?

In the US Starbucks closing it's doors to customers but all drive throughs will remain open, should be some lengthy queues there then. Is it panic or is it sensible, I'm all for restricting contact.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:51 pm

We had set up a drive through one in Wolverhampton I believe, but you still needed an appointment from 111.

But they have stopped all testing now apart from people in hospital.
This user liked this post: KateR

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:52 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:46 pm
so the US going to do drive through testing, seems like the way to go to me although no idea how that works, has anyone heard similar in the UK, I have not?

In the US Starbucks closing it's doors to customers but all drive throughs will remain open, should be some lengthy queues there then. Is it panic or is it sensible, I'm all for restricting contact.
I don't see a problem. But some will start crying because it will involve more people starting up their car engine.
This user liked this post: KateR

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:54 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:46 pm
If people are still paying $5 for a cup of coffee, I think we can assume we're some way off Armageddon. They could always put on a ******* kettle.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:56 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:51 pm
We had set up a drive through one in Wolverhampton I believe, but you still needed an appointment from 111.

But they have stopped all testing now apart from people in hospital.
Why would I need an appointment from NHS 111 to visit a drive through Starbucks?

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:02 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:56 pm
Why would I need an appointment from NHS 111 to visit a drive through Starbucks?
I think you know what I meant.
But to clarify, they set up a corona virus test drive through.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:03 pm

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/27/do ... han-virus/

Long article but worth a read if you want some facts.

Small extracts:

"But as it turns out, the market may not have been the cause of the outbreak at all. A new study shows that the early known victims had no contact with the market. And although the virus, at present, does seem to have originated in bats, it’s unclear how it made its way to humans. It’s quite likely no chowing down on the creatures of the night was involved."

"China’s conditions are not unique. It looks, in fact, a lot like the United States did in the past, before muckraking exposés led to the creation of modern regulation systems. Even today, the United States can lag behind best practices on such issues as antibiotics in feed, cattle slaughter, or poultry washing."

I'm sure a trade deal with America will probably bring those practices to Britain.