Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:28 pm

BennyD wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:33 pm
Blah, blah, blah, left wing drivel, blah, blah, blah. Rinse and repeat.
Well that's me told :roll:
This user liked this post: KateR

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Re: Covid-19

Post by KateR » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 pm

his typing is the equivalent of his lips are moving and he has the gall to call BJ a liar, can't live without his historical facts and most of those have proved wrong in political terms, but enough of that, this should be a serious thread but I should have known when he wanted the thread title changed so he could understand what it was about. Clearly showing he still has no idea what it is about.

My daughter in-law is a teacher and will therefore be home with both my young grandchildren as from Friday, goodness knows what they will do, a 2yr old and 4 yr old are a handful. Have to say I had forgotten just how much energy they have and need, dance, swimming and all there other activities canceled also. I guess Frozen and Ice Age will get worn out in no time, Pepper Pig on the majority of the day should induce insanity fairly quickly though! Fortunately my son can work from home a couple of days a week and probably will need to in order to give her some relief, but lots will be in worse positions than they will so wont be accepting any moaning from them, well maybe a little!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:37 pm

KateR wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:19 pm
yes yes, of course you did, we all believe you, sad little old man.

but do stay well
The infected poster...at last people are noticing..what's taken so Long.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:19 pm

This report confirms the numbers I and Lowbank first posted 3 weeks ago and got ridiculed for.

It also highlights what is the exit plan from lockdown - only way out is a vaccine or herd
immunity.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... =DM1220115

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:23 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:01 pm
Until a few days ago Johnson was willing to let half a million of us die - as per the modelling. That’s why while other countries were putting strict measures in place, we were not. Only when his insouciance became public did Johnson begin to take action. Now we could be well behind the curve.
Had the misfortune of skimming the last page on the Boris thread. Quoting the whole post on this more relevant thread to avoid accusations of lack of context.

But anybody who posts things like “Johnson was willing to let half a million of us die” must be so far removed from reality that it discredits every other post they have ever made. Crikey, this thing is really exposing some of us.

We were led by the science (which we are leaders in), and the science evolved as the numbers became clearer. That’s the kind of country we are. We could of course be like China, covering it up for 3 weeks with the cost of many lives worldwide, or like Russia, who aren’t open with case numbers. We could be like Hong Kong, South Korea or Japan who are all more autocratic and happier to accept social restrictions before the scientific evidence justifies it. But liberals hate that stuff, and it is hypocritical not to accept that our way is our way.

The scientists modelling all this are doing a great job. The leading guy at Imperial has now even got it himself. Let’s just stay behind them, do our bit to suppress this thing, and all be heroes. We will all have helped save lives. Every one of us. Not sure there has ever been a time in the history of our country we have said that.
These 8 users liked this post: Gordaleman thatdberight KateR rob63 Blackrod tiger76 Sproggy SussexDon1inIreland

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:32 pm

paulatky wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:19 pm
This report confirms the numbers I and Lowbank first posted 3 weeks ago and got ridiculed for.

It also highlights what is the exit plan from lockdown - only way out is a vaccine or herd
immunity.

I think they're the kind of numbers being discussed on pages 1, 2, 3 on this thread.

PS: Have you escaped from the imaginary blockade of Oxford Street yet?
Last edited by thatdberight on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:34 pm

paulatky wrote:

immunity.

Let’s make something clear, crystal clear. Any ridicule was deserved for posting absolute rubbish at times, and the persistence to continue posting rubbish was also ridiculed. You have, on occasion, posted something interesting and of value, but mostly self serving rubbish.
This user liked this post: Gordaleman

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2589 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:47 pm

paulatky wrote:
The numbers are big, in a nation of 65 million they’re always going to be big. Births, deaths.. accidents falling off ladders.

Last winter around 50,000 more folk than usual died for various reasons. 500,000 die every year. It rarely makes the papers, just old people shuffling off that mortal coil as we will soon enough.

If they do keep it to 20-25,000 with this outbreak, we’ll actually be down on last year due to a milder winter and a general improvement in hygiene causing less deaths from flu, hepatitis, pneumonia etc.

Strange isn’t it. It’ll undoubtedly be remembered for a lifetime but the stats will look odd in years to come. You’d think it was 2019 when the crisis occurred.
These 4 users liked this post: Zlatan Gordaleman SussexDon1inIreland Quicknick

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:57 pm

ZizkovClaret wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:55 pm
Latest from Czech Republic:

Its now illegal to be out and about without your mouth and nose covered by a mask, scarf, or similar.
Only allowed out for essential reasons like going to work or buying food.

I've been off sick with flu symptoms since early March (Czech sick leave is basically house arrest at the best of times, nevermind now) so to say im climbing the walls is an understatement.
Sorry to hear you're not well Zizkov, get well soon! Keep the Czech updates coming, always interesting to hear from another country's point of view.
These 3 users liked this post: KateR tiger76 SussexDon1inIreland

rob63

Post by rob63 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:56 pm
You make a very good point. I bet doctor's surgeries and NHS help lines are swamped by wimps with a cold.
Nothing new there then!

rob63

Post by rob63 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:04 pm

HieronymousBoschHobs wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:28 pm
Well that's me told :roll:
Yes, you can't beat a considered political point, well made :!:

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:07 pm

rob63 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 pm
Nothing new there then!
Nothing new at all and if the NHS is swamped, it will be their fault. Do they care? I doubt it.

I'm coughing for some reason tonight but I don't think it's Covid 19.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:09 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:47 pm
The numbers are big, in a nation of 65 million they’re always going to be big. Births, deaths.. accidents falling off ladders.

Last winter around 50,000 more folk than usual died for various reasons. 500,000 die every year. It rarely makes the papers, just old people shuffling off that mortal coil as we will soon enough.

If they do keep it to 20-25,000 with this outbreak, we’ll actually be down on last year due to a milder winter and a general improvement in hygiene causing less deaths from flu, hepatitis, pneumonia etc.

Strange isn’t it. It’ll undoubtedly be remembered for a lifetime but the stats will look odd in years to come. You’d think it was 2019 when the crisis occurred.
If we do get away with only 20,000 extra that will be a great result but when myself and Lowbank stated that potentially there could be upto 500,000 it was met with scorn on here.

Who would have thought that the UK might well be in lockdown for 18 months.

The world economy will be devasted and I fear the world that remains will not be a very pleasant place to be.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:16 pm

It was met with scorn because you both insisted that you were right but were in fact fundamentally and consistently wrong.

The large figures being quoted previously have always been at the extreme end of the scale, why can’t you just accept that? Also you fail to admit that people who are over 70 with heart defects are likely to die from a bad case of flu, but in this instance are dying from Covid-19 instead.

Only when this is all done and dusted can anyone say “ooh, you know what Andrew, I was right... get me for saying millions will die” and well done and a gold star will be yours along with the pride of being “right”

I still think you’re wrong though
These 3 users liked this post: Gordaleman FactualFrank Quicknick

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:19 pm

BBC Newsnight has just said that the government is considering using up to 20,000 troops in a purely logistical role. Transport and communications etc.. Not troops on the streets.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:24 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:16 pm
It was met with scorn because you both insisted that you were right but were in fact fundamentally and consistently wrong.

The large figures being quoted previously have always been at the extreme end of the scale, why can’t you just accept that? Also you fail to admit that people who are over 70 with heart defects are likely to die from a bad case of flu, but in this instance are dying from Covid-19 instead.

Only when this is all done and dusted can anyone say “ooh, you know what Andrew, I was right... get me for saying millions will die” and well done and a gold star will be yours along with the pride of being “right”

What's the outcome going to Be? What's you're gut feeling?

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 am

NottsClaret wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:47 pm

I heard a report on the radio, think it was this morning or maybe Tues: because lots of planes have stopped flying and a lot of industry has stopped pollution levels are down massively. As a result, there will be many times more people who don't die this year because of air pollution, than will die because of covid-19.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:15 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:19 pm
BBC Newsnight has just said that the government is considering using up to 20,000 troops in a purely logistical role. Transport and communications etc.. Not troops on the streets.
Why would they need troops? It surely can't be difficult, in the circumstances, to find 20,000 young people with driving licences and common sense to drive vans around, willing to get paid and risk coronavirus when the option is be out of work and stop at home. Finding drivers should not be a problem.

Lorry drivers would be harder, of course.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:23 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 am
I heard a report on the radio, think it was this morning or maybe Tues: because lots of planes have stopped flying and a lot of industry has stopped pollution levels are down massively. As a result, there will be many times more people who don't die this year because of air pollution, than will die because of covid-19.
It would be wonderful if through all the ugliness and tragedy of this pandemic, a demonstration of the real value of a cleaner planet focussed minds on environmental and climate concerns. Obviously, such a global shutdown as we're seeing is not at all practical as a solution to the climate crisis, but it might show folks that striving for it is worthwhile if people en masse are become healthier. It might burgeon political will. There are anecdotal stories of Chinese foreign nationals returning to China only to notice the minute they step off the plane that the air smells different.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:53 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:15 am
Why would they need troops? It surely can't be difficult, in the circumstances, to find 20,000 young people with driving licences and common sense to drive vans around, willing to get paid and risk coronavirus when the option is be out of work and stop at home. Finding drivers should not be a problem.

You only have to read his silly posts....The Army will be used for things 20,000 young people with driving licences aren't trained to deal with......and it's not Logistics. It will be Numbers.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Coronavirus / Covid-19

Post by HunterST_BFC » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:53 am

WHY OH WHY
Have we stopped any testing?

Being blind to the problem only makes things worse.
How can you deal with an issue like this if people can spread it for 2 weeks I don't understand.

The front line staff are not being given the kit.
Some will already be infected

Life has suddenly become even cheaper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Plus I really can't understand the idiocy of some of the public.

eg a pub near me - a hen night of 20+? and plenty of other people inside. I drove past.

Is this actually a Darwinism way to deal with this?
Everyone in that Pub will go home, to, in the most part to someone or with someone. Then carry on as normal with - kids, parents, work. friends etc... then it goes further... and further.

These people above will also include those who Fill Cars With hundreds of Loo Rolls and just about everything else.
So selfish and braindead.

BUT
Then they'll demand a 999 and immediate response when Gran / Dad / (you choose) has a cough. A bit of a temperature...
Demand shouting at A&E that their loved one deserves better care.

(and it also won't be long before the idiots will start also scathing about why there are fewer soap's (episodes not bars) and how their the life is being sapped from living...
With several wishing they were on Love Island, because it's sunny and at least if I get in I'll be a "Celeb"....

So it turns out - Less Soap is better for us and soaps can't cure this.

If people can't see or know they are probably / possibly infected - behaviour carries on.
Then not just the idiots are at risk. We all are.

If we all are all "more" at risk more people will die.

Darwinism unfortunately is happening but likely not focusing to take the idiot gene -... and probably by numbers - it will enforce the idiot gene further.

(sorry for my "minor" rant - don't kick me for stating my thoughts - Keep Safe All)
These 2 users liked this post: thatdberight tiger76

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:15 am

Just reporting what was said. Troops are fully trained in communications and if temporary hospials are set up. communications would be needed.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:18 am

Ok so after I posted I realised I knew a good person to answer this question and asked a friend who is a professor at Imperial (who are the establishment that did the modelling the government used that resulted in yesterday's change of tack. Link here if anyone is really a glutton for punishment
http://imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-co ... 3-2020.pdf
He didn't author or work on the report (hes doing other stuff related to NHS response)
His reply/ translation was that it's a bit of both ie that there is SOME evidence/ data behind the report's recommendations specifically
"It takes evidence from other studies, some assumptions.... and estimates... then models them to see what happens".
"Interesting but ******* scary" was how he categorised the report.
So I think we are left with an educated best guess

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:27 am

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:16 pm

Where were we wrong ?

The other thing I said was that the damage to the economy would be far greater than the damage to. The damage to world economies will be far far worse than even I imagined.

I also said there would be shortages and that has happened and can only get worse.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:41 am

tim_noone wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:24 pm
What's the outcome going to Be? What's you're gut feeling?
Tim, my gut feeling is that there will be "more people potentially dying before their time" as the PM put it, but not of the order of magnitude that the doomsayers on here are quoting. I think it would be wrong to put a figure on it, as I'll open myself up to criticism as those who have said 2M etc have done.

Initially I felt that it was all a massive over reaction (it may still be), but I am doing as per instructions to "do my bit". There is a sense of "Armageddon" about it all, and that's what I am uncomfortable with personally. I am in the high risk group (mentioned before) so I am "isolated" for 12 weeks, although I have driven the good lady for her to go shopping, which was almost pointless. Being a good lady she came back with 2 bottles of JD and some Vodka, but nothing worth eating...

When all is done and dusted I think the vast majority of those "gone before their time" will be people who would have normally been susceptible to the winter flu, and probably would have been at risk of dying without the vaccine for that. I also think that the positive effect on the climate will be a wake up call to all - showing everyone that all is not lost, but we will need to change.

I don't wish anyone dead, but the reality is that if some people die (including me) then so be it. As long as society and the governments learn from this the world will be a better place, don't you think? I'm am hopeful that lessons will be learnt of course... things like possibly forcing herd immunity for outbreaks like this (promote a spread across fit and healthy adults once initial testing is done - to volunteers of course) and putting healthcare before profits etc, but I don't want to politicise the thread, so happy to discuss that elsewhere.

Be well :)
These 2 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland Quicknick

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:45 am

paulatky wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:27 am
Where were we wrong ?

The other thing I said was that the damage to the economy would be far greater than the damage to. The damage to world economies will be far far worse than even I imagined.

I also said there would be shortages and that has happened and can only get worse.
I'm not going to trawl through the thread but I can recall having to point out that Lowbankclaret's calculations were consistently misinterpreted and your doom and gloom death rates along with his were wildly out, which you then extrapolated to incorrect values for total deaths. Your retort to this will be "well I said 60-80%" blah blah blah, and you'll see I agreed, but I also pointed out that that figure would be eventually and you both kept insisting that it was within weeks.

Look, it's getting scary out there, just take care and be well.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:01 am

Zlatan wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:41 am
Tim, my gut feeling is that there will be "more people potentially dying before their time" as the PM put it, but not of the order of magnitude that the doomsayers on here are quoting. I think it would be wrong to put a figure on it, as I'll open myself up to criticism as those who have said 2M etc have done.

Initially I felt that it was all a massive over reaction (it may still be), but I am doing as per instructions to "do my bit". There is a sense of "Armageddon" about it all, and that's what I am uncomfortable with personally. I am in the high risk group (mentioned before) so I am "isolated" for 12 weeks, although I have driven the good lady for her to go shopping, which was almost pointless. Being a good lady she came back with 2 bottles of JD and some Vodka, but nothing worth eating...

When all is done and dusted I think the vast majority of those "gone before their time" will be people who would have normally been susceptible to the winter flu, and probably would have been at risk of dying without the vaccine for that. I also think that the positive effect on the climate will be a wake up call to all - showing everyone that all is not lost, but we will need to change.

I don't wish anyone dead, but the reality is that if some people die (including me) then so be it. As long as society and the governments learn from this the world will be a better place, don't you think? I'm am hopeful that lessons will be learnt of course... things like possibly forcing herd immunity for outbreaks like this (promote a spread across fit and healthy adults once initial testing is done - to volunteers of course) and putting healthcare before profits etc, but I don't want to politicise the thread, so happy to discuss that elsewhere.

Be well :)
I'll go along with most of what you say there but as for future change, well? While we have people like Trump in the White House, the world will always be about bullying, ignoring climate change and making as much money as possible, regardless of the cost to the world.

On a nicer note, the local Labour party has just rung me to ask if I need any help. Now that's the kind of neighbourlyness we all need right now.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6899 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:07 am

All of this 'I told you so' rubbish is totally embarrassing. Get a grip you absolute halfwits.
These 4 users liked this post: martin_p KateR tiger76 rob63

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:32 am

Zlatan wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:45 am
I'm not going to trawl through the thread but I can recall having to point out that Lowbankclaret's calculations were consistently misinterpreted and your doom and gloom death rates along with his were wildly out, which you then extrapolated to incorrect values for total deaths. Your retort to this will be "well I said 60-80%" blah blah blah, and you'll see I agreed, but I also pointed out that that figure would be eventually and you both kept insisting that it was within weeks.

Look, it's getting scary out there, just take care and be well.
My timescales was always 12 months.

You getting scary now,i have been scared for 8 weeks thats why I posted to try to warn others.

If people had started buying extra essential goods earlier prehaps we could also have flattened that curve.

As for you saying it will be a better world aftet this you are right regards the polution issues but I fear for the future world as the damage to the economy will last for decades.

Good luck to everyone in getting through these times
Last edited by paulatky on Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:35 am

They think we are about a month away from a test to see if people have had the virus but none or virtually nil symptoms and I think this will be the game changer in that the modellers will be able to factor these in to their calculations. Going off the Diamond Princess cruise ship of the 700 or so that got diagnosed with Covid 19 around 300 or so had no symptoms. The guy in Brighton who was dubbed the “super spreader” had no symptoms.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:23 am

Dy1geo wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:35 am
They think we are about a month away from a test to see if people have had the virus but none or virtually nil symptoms and I think this will be the game changer in that the modellers will be able to factor these in to their calculations. Going off the Diamond Princess cruise ship of the 700 or so that got diagnosed with Covid 19 around 300 or so had no symptoms. The guy in Brighton who was dubbed the “super spreader” had no symptoms.
I mentioned this yesterday but got slated for it by the usual suspects. In yesterday's PMs statement, he didn't give an exact timescale but said PHE was working on it "Today" and that it was "Just down the road."

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:28 am

There are a lot of unknowns aren't there? 1) how many have had it with no symptoms 2) had it with mild symptoms 3) how many are there who cannot be infected by this virus and so are free from any risk? As an example about 20% of us cannot become infected by certain strains of norovirus due to our genetic make up.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:41 am

BBC news now has on it's Breaking News, '20,000 military personnel on standby to help police and NHS.'

Now where have I heard that before?

Update: Army to provide support in UK. Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has announced a new military force ready to support public services as required during the coronavirus crisis.

As part of the support the Army will provide during the pandemic, the number of troops at a heightened state of readiness will be doubled to 20,000 and Reserves will be placed on standby.

The Ministry of Defence is also planning to train 150 military personnel to drive oxygen tankers around the country to support the NHS.

Scientists from the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) will also help Public Health England’s effort to understand the virus and tackle the spread.
Last edited by Gordaleman on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:47 am

paulatky wrote:
Shortages of what?

People are unlikely to starve to death in the UK are they?

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:10 am

BP has just announced that it will provide 'Free fuel' to emergency services and free food deliveries to the elderly.

No details at this stage.

A bit of positive news for once.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2589 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:33 am

paulatky wrote:
Stop being such a baby. Just strolled into my town, market open and loads of stuff, more than usual. Everyone being sensible, standing apart etc, most with those gloves on. But yeah, the birds were still singing, people were cheerful despite the weirdness and it all seemed pretty positive.

You can cry on the internet all day about how the world is going to end, but it isn't. We'll have a tough couple of months, then some respite in the summer, hopefully a cure / vaccine by next winter and we can all learn something, enjoy the clear air and pure water and get back to life.
These 4 users liked this post: Zlatan Gordaleman FactualFrank KateR

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:10 am
BP has just announced that it will provide 'Free fuel' to emergency services and free food deliveries to the elderly.

No details at this stage.

A bit of positive news for once.
Interesting.. ..

There's another report I've read (Times) that oil prices may go negative: "Oversupply could force oil prices to go negative"

(I used to work for BP).

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:51 am

BBC: EU's chief Brexit negotiator tests positive for virus.

(No, let's not combine the two threads). :(

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:57 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:51 am
BBC: EU's chief Brexit negotiator tests positive for virus.

(No, let's not combine the two threads). :(
I don't think it will be long before we have a number of MPs and Lords testing positive. Everyone knows how close they sit next to each other, and that has only reduced in the last couple of days as fewer MPs / Lords have been entering the main chambers.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:00 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:57 am
I don't think it will be long before we have a number of MPs and Lords testing positive. Everyone knows how close they sit next to each other, and that has only reduced in the last couple of days as fewer MPs / Lords have been entering the main chambers.
Those in the house of lords should all cuddle up to each other and infect the lot of them....not one of them would be missed and maybe with what we save we can give women back their pensions at 60.....just thought.

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:23 am
It would be wonderful if through all the ugliness and tragedy of this pandemic, a demonstration of the real value of a cleaner planet focussed minds on environmental and climate concerns. Obviously, such a global shutdown as we're seeing is not at all practical as a solution to the climate crisis, but it might show folks that striving for it is worthwhile if people en masse are become healthier. It might burgeon political will. There are anecdotal stories of Chinese foreign nationals returning to China only to notice the minute they step off the plane that the air smells different.
I have been on conference calls a minimum of once a day for the last 10 working days, some people have obviously never really used conference calls for some reason and we have been trialing new apps, zoom, teams, plus old ones, Skype and WebEx. With 2 of the companies I have spoken to they have been really overworked in the IT departments setting up people to work from home as part of there business continuity strategy. As a result this last few days has resulted in multiple comments around how easy and effect this is and we should use it more often.

Therefore the trend could be much more video conferencing that travel cutting down on planes, trains and automobiles, which can only be a good thing, especially when these companies review there travel spending for the month or so and start to dictate that more conferencing and less physical travel. 2 weeks ago both companies restricted travel to "business essential" but no travel whatsoever to China S Korea and Italy, this week both companies have stated no travel unless absolutely needed. To go that route the individual must write formally for approval to the group President and the Senior VP HSE, they will make the decision, as of this morning not one request and can't see any for a while yet, either being requested and certainly not granted but there could be exceptions.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:40 pm

If the scenes in Asda and Tescos this morning were anything to go by, it seems that Dog food and Beer are this weeks toilet roll.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 999 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:43 pm

Therefore the trend could be much more video conferencing that travel cutting down on planes, trains and automobiles, which can only be a good thing, especially when these companies review there travel spending for the month or so and start to dictate that more conferencing and less physical travel.
Hopefully, working from home will become more accepted. I retired at 61 (about 9 years ago) because the daily commute of 90 minutes each way got pretty unbearable. The work I did could easily be done from home with maybe one day in for face-face stuff but my boss would only let me work home 1 day per week (I think because it seemed more macho to him to go into work and get yourself seen/heard).
I worked well at home and could put in a extra hour or two that still left me "in pocket" v the lost commute hours and in terms of saving travel expense.

Home working is being encouraged at the moment, hopefully "bosses" see that productivity doesnt suffer and the trend continues- saves workers travel-hassle and travel costs & lowers pollution etc.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:58 pm

KateR wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:18 pm
I have been on conference calls a minimum of once a day for the last 10 working days, some people have obviously never really used conference calls for some reason and we have been trialing new apps, zoom, teams, plus old ones, Skype and WebEx. With 2 of the companies I have spoken to they have been really overworked in the IT departments setting up people to work from home as part of there business continuity strategy. As a result this last few days has resulted in multiple comments around how easy and effect this is and we should use it more often.
I remember a second telephone line being installed at home as part of "business continuity plans" (I think it was then called "disaster recovery). That was late 1980s, when there was no internet and it was simply "dial-up modems" - but it was fantastic to be ready to do some work from home.

My company has now discovered that 6,000 staff all trying to access VPN at the same time "doesn't work."

And, the instruction has gone round "facebook and youtube" are probably best saved for your non-working time - and not via the company's vpn!

We can now use Teams (and Skype and Zoom) w/out going thru vpn. I also say that I'm not using video for these calls as it puts stress on the connections. (It's also good if I'm still in my dressing gown).
These 2 users liked this post: KateR Zlatan

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:04 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:58 pm
I remember a second telephone line being installed at home as part of "business continuity plans" (I think it was then called "disaster recovery). That was late 1980s, when there was no internet and it was simply "dial-up modems" - but it was fantastic to be ready to do some work from home.

My company has now discovered that 6,000 staff all trying to access VPN at the same time "doesn't work."

And, the instruction has gone round "facebook and youtube" are probably best saved for your non-working time - and not via the company's vpn!

We can now use Teams (and Skype and Zoom) w/out going thru vpn. I also say that I'm not using video for these calls as it puts stress on the connections. (It's also good if I'm still in my dressing gown).
Do you ever use Team Viewer? I've used that quite a lot in the past.

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:05 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:58 pm

I am just about to go on my second call of the day, the conference call company we use in the Netherlands is overloaded (just voice) so we are all moving to Skype, like you I rarely sue my video but do for select calls, I have never used any VPN for any calls/conferences. It's the way forward :)

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:15 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:04 pm
Do you ever use Team Viewer? I've used that quite a lot in the past.
Hi Frank, I had to look up "Team Viewer" - no, I've not used. We started using MS Teams sometime last year, moving across from Sykpe (which, of course, is also MS). I'm a "keep it simple" user. I'll learn how to use what I need to use. Anything else, I delegate to the younger members of my team to explore.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:37 pm

I was in the cafe about 15 minutes ago and briefly spotted in the paper, a method/device that as from next month will be able to check people to see if they've had the virus, just without realising (low/no symptoms).

It may have been mentioned on here, but with it being 80% buillsh1t posts and 80% being on my Foe list, I've probably missed it.

It looks promising though as it will at least allow those people who have had it, to go back to work.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:47 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:37 pm
I was in the cafe about 15 minutes ago and briefly spotted in the paper, a method/device that as from next month will be able to check people to see if they've had the virus, just without realising (low/no symptoms).

It may have been mentioned on here, but with it being 80% buillsh1t posts and 80% being on my Foe list, I've probably missed it.

It looks promising though as it will at least allow those people who have had it, to go back to work.
Post by Gordaleman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:23 am

Dy1geo wrote: ↑Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:35 am

I mentioned this yesterday but got slated for it by the usual suspects. In yesterday's PMs statement, he didn't give an exact timescale but said PHE was working on it "Today" and that it was "Just down the road."

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:33 pm

As I understand it , it’s a check for antibodies.
Not being medical no idea how it’s done now.

But I remember the TB check at school where they used some device to put 7 little scratches in a circle on your arm. If they came up you didn’t need the jab as you had natural immunity .
I was lucky as my mum had TB a couple of years before I was born, mine came up and I didn’t need the jab.

It will be a different process now, but it will be a massive step forward.