Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Re: Covid-19

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:40 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:29 am
Well if one GP thinks this it must be true. Why are we bothering with all these experts and politicians to make decisions when mdd2 could just wheel out his GP and sort out this mess once and for all

Whats his football knowledge like cos if England struggle we could sack off Southgate and get him in charge?
Two Professors of Public Health, one from Oxford and one from Edinburgh, were saying much the same thing on Newsnight.

They analysed triangulated data relating to deaths, new infections and hospital admissions and concluded that the peak of deaths was around 8th April. Crucially, they plotted the death toll as date of death, rather than date of reporting of death. This strengthened their conclusion. They were then able to suggest that peak infection might have been some three weeks before.

All very interesting, and the overall consensus now seems to be a definite flattening of this curve we hear so much about. I think the direction of travel will now surely be a move towards how we release the lockdown measures in 3 weeks time.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:06 am

Maybe I spoke to soon and owe mdd2 and his GP an apology. Sounds interesting and will have a look at it tomorrow in a bit more detail

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:08 am

dsr wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:24 am
How many people with trivial illnesses go to A&E knowing they have trivial illnesses? That's the problem. If everyone in the Uk was a qualified medical professional, they would mostly know whether they need to see a doctor or not. But those who are not medical professionals have a choice between waiting days (or even weeks) to see a doctor, or else going to A&E.

I went to A&E with a trivial illness that we are told not to go with - stomach ache. I was on a drip within an hour and in hospital 9 days.
A&E stands for accident and emergency and well over 50% of attendances are neither accidents nor emergencies. The reduction in A/E attendances is pretty self explanatory and as I said was predictable by those working in A&E

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:13 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:06 am
Maybe I spoke to soon and owe mdd2 and his GP an apology. Sounds interesting and will have a look at it tomorrow in a bit more detail
Accepted D_A but the man on TV is not my GP- but do look up James Mackenzie, the Post Grad department at Burnley General is named after him. Of course like many who pass through Burnley he went on to better things including becoming an FRS for his pioneering observational work, much of which was done in Burnley

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:20 am

mdd2 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:13 am
Accepted D_A but the man on TV is not my GP- but do look up James Mackenzie, the Post Grad department at Burnley General is named after him. Of course like many who pass through Burnley he went on to better things including becoming an FRS for his pioneering observational work, much of which was done in Burnley
I know was being at bit facetious which wasn't really needed. To be fair the way the post is written it can read like I just heard some random GP bloke say this idea and I found that notion a bit comedic

Anyhow after KSR's futher elaboration I foolishly jumped the gun and it sounds an interesting take which I will look into a bit more tomorrow

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:41 am

Zlatan wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:28 pm
I was agreeing with you, and demonstrated with a reference to a previous post
I know, but last time I copied a post of page 1, it didn’t quite go as I planned it to. I went back to copy it and then decided not to.

Could this be the real reason Government has been saying all along masks don’t work, when all the evidence from lots of other countries is that they do. Lead story on the sky news app this morning.
Telling people just in London to wear masks would leave the NHS short.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:47 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:41 am
I know, but last time I copied a post of page 1, it didn’t quite go as I planned it to. I went back to copy it and then decided not to.

Could this be the real reason Government has been saying all along masks don’t work, when all the evidence from lots of other countries is that they do. Lead story on the sky news app this morning.
Telling people just in London to wear masks would leave the NHS short.
I think you’re right, and I agree. If it was stated a couple of months back that wearing a mask was compulsory, the impact of that on the NHS would have been devastating and it would have decimated the health workers. It was simply a decision based on supply limitations IMO and the effect would have been like people were buying bog roll.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:51 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:00 pm
Millions of pieces of PPE are being shipped from Britain to Europe despite NHS shortages.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... e-despite/

Spot the brain cell.
That is sad, crazy and complete madness but could well be true.
One thing that just makes me ask for caution, as some will know I have been helping a group supply Face Shields. Some of those people we helped were trying to source large amounts of PPE and had the funds to buy but just could not source PPE in the UK. Two in particular had large funds but could not buy in the UK, one told me she had found a supplier in China for Face Shields but she has to order a million and pay half up front.

So if companies had PPE for sale, a couple of quick mentions on morning TV and it would all have been bought.

In my humble opinion.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:59 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:06 pm
Agreed. I thought we’d rue the lockdown light and should’ve been stricter. There’s time yet, but looking a good call by the Government so far (although we’ll never know whether we’d have plateaued sooner with a stricter lockdown).
Agreed,
Also if we had been slicker at collecting death data like NeW York, Yes the death toll would be higher (which we know it is anyway, just not how high). We might have seen the plateau earlier and only we were on reducing phase.
Today and tomorrow’s death figures will be fairly key figures I think. They are normally higher than Sunday and Monday , lets hope they are a significant sum lower than last weeks Tues and Weds figures.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:47 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:51 am
That is sad, crazy and complete madness but could well be true.
One thing that just makes me ask for caution, as some will know I have been helping a group supply Face Shields. Some of those people we helped were trying to source large amounts of PPE and had the funds to buy but just could not source PPE in the UK. Two in particular had large funds but could not buy in the UK, one told me she had found a supplier in China for Face Shields but she has to order a million and pay half up front.

So if companies had PPE for sale, a couple of quick mentions on morning TV and it would all have been bought.

In my humble opinion.
Having said all that, I have now watched Piers Morgan, I have to retract what I said.
It’s true , PPE is being shipped to the EU, mental.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:59 am

Latest figures show 16.8% of deaths in care home attributed to Covid-19, I thought it might have been higher reading some posts on here

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:06 am

Who’s latest figures??
Do you have a link?

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:13 am

Sky news breaking!

ONS state that real death figures are 41% higher than released in early April.

The reason it’s important is, this lag means the lockdown remains longer as the data is not up to date. We all want out of this lockdown and the death data being correct is a major factor in that decision.

If that data was correct, perhaps in a couple of weeks time some releasing of measures could start.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:23 am

Grumps wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:59 am
Latest figures show 16.8% of deaths in care home attributed to Covid-19, I thought it might have been higher reading some posts on here
I have just seen it on Sky news, the only thing I would say, that’s on 10th April. I was couple of days into trying to help with PPE, at that date. Many care homes around here were not telling me they had cases back then, that did start a little later when they started contacting us stating they had cases and could they have more PPE.
Obviously I could not ask about deaths, that would have been inappropriate.

We will have to wait a while to see if that’s reflected in later figures or not.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:33 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:23 am
I have just seen it on Sky news, the only thing I would say, that’s on 10th April. I was couple of days into trying to help with PPE, at that date. Many care homes around here were not telling me they had cases back then, that did start a little later when they started contacting us stating they had cases and could they have more PPE.
Obviously I could not ask about deaths, that would have been inappropriate.

We will have to wait a while to see if that’s reflected in later figures or not.
The ones I know in East lancs still have no cases, and plenty PPE, let's hope it stays that way

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:33 am

Following on from the brief exchanges I had with mdd2 and KRS last night I've been reading up on Carl Henegham's views and looking for the discussions around it.

Decent critique and support seems to be missing at this stage apart from a lot of libertarian right thinkers who love this view and as of yet it just seems another debatable theory which Im sure will be discussed more alongside other ideas as more info becomes available

One thing I did come across as part of my reading was the below article by John Rentoul. I found it a really interesting take and a good summary of how we all see things through our own lens and tend to interpret data and info in a way that supports our own view

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/co ... 72176.html
This user liked this post: mdd2

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:08 pm

Turns out the only way to stop people dying is to kill them...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52361519

Despite histrionics above, more evidence that we need to get out of this phase sooner rather than later. Both for economic and social reasons but perhaps the medical counterbalance is more nuanced than the shrill voices of hysteria would have us believe.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:11 pm

Masks:
"The World Health Organization (WHO) has said that only two groups of people should wear protective masks, those who are:

sick and showing symptoms
caring for people suspected to have coronavirus"

And this from the BBC who are leading the charge for this latest meaningless restriction of our freedoms to placate the mice among us.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2589 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:16 pm

I honestly can't say I remember that week in January 2000 when more people died than at the peak of this Covid19 outbreak. Can't even remember it being on the news?
This user liked this post: thatdberight

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:37 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:16 pm
I honestly can't say I remember that week in January 2000 when more people died than at the peak of this Covid19 outbreak. Can't even remember it being on the news?
According to Wikipedia, that month's big events in the UK were:
Japanese carmaker Nissan adds a third model to its factory near Sunderland
1 January – The Millennium Dome in London is officially opened by HM The Queen
4 January – Catherine Hartley and Fiona Thornewill become the first British women to reach the South Pole
10 January – Cherie Blair is fined for not having a valid train ticket
11 January – The Solway Harvester, sinks in the Irish Sea, killing seven sailors
12 January – Indictment and arrest of Augusto Pinochet
22 January – The Rugby league 2000 World Club Challenge is won by Melbourne Storm who defeat St. Helens
31 January – Dr. Harold Shipman is sentenced to life imprisonment.

Against such world-shattering events as "game of rugby league played", you'd have thought it would have made the cut.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:50 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:37 pm
4 January – Catherine Hartley and Fiona Thornewill become the first British women to reach the South Pole
11 January – The Solway Harvester, sinks in the Irish Sea, killing seven sailors
22 January – The Rugby league 2000 World Club Challenge is won by Melbourne Storm who defeat St. Helens

Against such world-shattering events as "game of rugby league played", you'd have thought it would have made the cut.
The month that one of the UK's most immoral and opportunistic offenders was brought to justice. Shipman was sent to prison too.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:01 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:50 pm
The month that one of the UK's most immoral and opportunistic offenders was brought to justice. Shipman was sent to prison too.
I imagine you're here all week.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:14 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:08 pm

Despite histrionics above, more evidence that we need to get out of this phase sooner rather than later. Both for economic and social reasons but perhaps the medical counterbalance is more nuanced than the shrill voices of hysteria would have us believe.
Until there are suitable treatments and a vaccine we can't just go back to normal though. We'll have to keep our distance wherever possible for quite a while yet.

The one thing to come out of all this is the mistaken belief that it's just like seasonal flu. You don't get fit, healthy people who get a bout of flu needing to go to hospital with breathing difficulties.
This user liked this post: paulatky

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:36 pm

Surprised there has not been more comments about the oil price going negative yesterday.
At one point yesterday oil producers were having to pay $43 a barrel for people to take it away.
As many economies rely oil revenues that is going to cause huge ramifications across the world,especially in the USA

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:40 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:14 pm
Until there are suitable treatments and a vaccine we can't just go back to normal though. We'll have to keep our distance wherever possible for quite a while yet.

The one thing to come out of all this is the mistaken belief that it's just like seasonal flu. You don't get fit, healthy people who get a bout of flu needing to go to hospital with breathing difficulties.
There was one person on here (long disappeared) who said that it was like the flu.

What coming out of lockdown looks like and what the balance is between "normal" and "more people dying" I don't know.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:41 pm

Can I just say, it's nice to have paulatky back on this thread. A proven liar on so many levels, we've missed all of his IDs posting their drivel on this topic.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:45 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:41 pm
Can I just say, it's nice to have paulatky back on this thread. A proven liar on so many levels, we've missed all of his IDs posting their drivel on this topic.
Drivel that in tbe main has turned out corret.
If anything the bad news I underestimated

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:45 pm

You do get fit and healthy people dying as a result of flu but I know where you are coming from. It has taken a while for many to realise the dangers that come with a new virus.
The way antibodies work differently in different people is very complex

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:46 pm

paulatky wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:36 pm
Surprised there has not been more comments about the oil price going negative yesterday.
At one point yesterday oil producers were having to pay $43 a barrel for people to take it away.
As many economies rely oil revenues that is going to cause huge ramifications across the world,especially in the USA
Typical that the oil price falls to it's lowest level in nearly 2 decades,and yet nobody is driving anywhere.

It will have an impact on the US,but it's the Middle East where it'll be felt more,Saudi in particular,

Brief extract from the Telegraph below,the rest is paywalled,but it gives you the gist.

Covid-19 crept up on a world economy already in the grip of an oil price war between Saudi Arabia and Russia. Moscow and Riyadh boosted output in the first weeks of 2020 to reckless levels while prices fell dizzyingly. Then lockdown across the West, not least in the USA, kicked in and collapsed energy prices.

President Trump initially celebrated cheap gas, but he has since come to see the negative impact not just on US shale production but on America’s key allies. High energy prices can cause a recession in the West but giveaway prices can cause global upheaval.

1986 was when oil prices were last so low. It was also the year of Chernobyl. That disaster symbolised Soviet incompetence. But it was also the year Ronald Reagan got the Saudis to boost oil production, slashing the Soviet Union’s income from its energy exports. Moscow could no longer afford its intervention in Afghanistan and its subsidy to the “socialist commonwealth”, from Cuba to North Korea....

It's always going to be a danger for any nation to rely heavily on one specific export,and the Saudi's might just be about to find that out first hand,on the plus side it might stop them gobbling up EPL clubs.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:49 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:01 pm
I imagine you're here all week.
Probably longer.
This user liked this post: thatdberight

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:50 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:08 pm

Agreed we do need to get out of this phase soon,which is why we'd better hope the cabinet has a strategy to exit the lockdown,given their erratic performance so far i have my doubts,even worse there's rumours that a split is emerging,that's the last thing the country needs at this critical point.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:59 pm

paulatky wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:36 pm
Hi paul, the negative price on WTI May-2020 futures contract is all to do with the expiry of the May contract and the people who were long May contracts either having to "close out" or be prepared to take delivery of the crude oil in May. Crude oil storage is pretty much at "tank tops" (i.e. full) so nowhere to put it - and lots of the people who trade WTI are not in any way set up to take physical delivery.

Of course, the oil world is in this position because covid-19 has reduced demand by around 30%, then, for a time Saudi upped it's production and now OPEC+Russia have agreed to cut production by 10% - but only starting in May. So, too much oil and all the storage is full.

Is "low price" for oil a good thing or a bad thing? Producers, obviously, like higher prices. But, flip it around, consumers obviously like lower prices. US is a big producer - so, this is hurting the US oil producers - but, US is also a big consumer, so lot's of other parts of US economy will "love" low oil prices.

Environmentally, Greta may be confused: demand for oil down 30% is great for the environment, but, will low oil prices encourage more demand for oil when (if) the world emerges from covid-19 downturn?

North Sea/Dated Brent was around mid-$20s yesterday. That's the world's benchmark price for crude oil these days. That's the more important one to watch.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:08 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:46 pm
Typical that the oil price falls to it's lowest level in nearly 2 decades,and yet nobody is driving anywhere.

It will have an impact on the US,but it's the Middle East where it'll be felt more,Saudi in particular,

Brief extract from the Telegraph below,the rest is paywalled,but it gives you the gist.

Covid-19 crept up on a world economy already in the grip of an oil price war between Saudi Arabia and Russia. Moscow and Riyadh boosted output in the first weeks of 2020 to reckless levels while prices fell dizzyingly. Then lockdown across the West, not least in the USA, kicked in and collapsed energy prices.

President Trump initially celebrated cheap gas, but he has since come to see the negative impact not just on US shale production but on America’s key allies. High energy prices can cause a recession in the West but giveaway prices can cause global upheaval.

1986 was when oil prices were last so low. It was also the year of Chernobyl. That disaster symbolised Soviet incompetence. But it was also the year Ronald Reagan got the Saudis to boost oil production, slashing the Soviet Union’s income from its energy exports. Moscow could no longer afford its intervention in Afghanistan and its subsidy to the “socialist commonwealth”, from Cuba to North Korea....

It's always going to be a danger for any nation to rely heavily on one specific export,and the Saudi's might just be about to find that out first hand,on the plus side it might stop them gobbling up EPL clubs.
The Telegraph has got their first bit back-to-front: the "oil price war between Saudi Arabia and Russia" started because Russia initially refused to cut oil production when Saudi/OPEC felt they needed to cut after coronavirus had resulted in fall in demand for oil in Asia. Saudi/OPEC was originally aiming to stabilise oil prices around mid-$50s/b (mid-$60s/b would have been better...).

I was introduced to oil trading world in 1987, while the oil market was still getting trying to understand what had happened in 1986. Happy days! :)

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:18 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:50 pm
Agreed we do need to get out of this phase soon,which is why we'd better hope the cabinet has a strategy to exit the lockdown,given their erratic performance so far i have my doubts,even worse there's rumours that a split is emerging,that's the last thing the country needs at this critical point.
How could there not be a split? What it needs is a huge split, a discussion, an agreement and moving forward together. Better that than going along with the first thing somebody says. I know that's not what you meant but media BS about a "split" is predictable. Of course there'll be different views. The same data is informing it but they're still humans with different priorities and approaches

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:18 pm

paulatky wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:45 pm
Drivel that in tbe main has turned out corret.
If anything the bad news I underestimated
What about uptheclarets? What has he got to say about it?

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:58 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:18 pm
What about uptheclarets? What has he got to say about it?
My wife often agrees with me but she doesnt understand the economy.

Talking further about the oil price crash we are I believe entering the “deflationary” period (where things get cheaper temporarily) that always occurs before hyperinflation.

If we enter hyperinflation, you really don’t want to be holding any cash savings, because they will very quickly become worthless.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:00 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:37 pm

Wow!......you can use Google too.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:16 pm

paulatky wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:58 pm
...she doesnt understand the economy.
She's found her match.

(Pitiful attempt to justify the multiple IDs after a week by the way .... but at least you tried)
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:00 pm
Wow!......you can use Google too.
No. Wikipedia. That's why I said "According to Wikipedia". ****, you're another thick one.

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:19 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:17 pm
No. Wikipedia. That's why I said "According to Wikipedia". ****, you're another thick one.
And how did you get to Wikipedia?........get a life!

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:19 pm
And how did you get to Wikipedia?........get a life!
You see the bar at the top that says "www.uptheclarets.com...."

We call that the "address bar".

I clicked on that and then keyed "wiki"

Because I've used wikipedia before, it offered me en/www.wikipedia.org as an option. I clicked on that.

I hope this helps you.

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:24 pm

YAWN.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:41 pm

BREAKING
UK hospital death toll rises by 828
A further 828 people have died in hospitals across the UK in a day, taking the total to 17,337 - latest government figures show.

The number of cases has also increased by 4,301 in 24 hours, bringing the total of 129,044.

Meanwhile, 18,206 tests were carried out on Monday, the government said. Ministers have set a target of 100,000 tests a day by the end of April.

The latest death figures do not include those in the community, in places such as care homes. There is a longer time lag in that data but you can find the latest here.

Health officials have previously warned against over-interpreting daily figures of people dying, with many hard-pressed hospitals understandably not reporting deaths over a weekend until the middle of the following week.

So as expected a steep rise in fatalities after the weekend drop,and testing's gone down,i really can't see how we're going to hit anywhere near 100,000 a day by the end of the month,that will require a massive expansion.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:56 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:41 pm
BREAKING
UK hospital death toll rises by 828
A further 828 people have died in hospitals across the UK in a day, taking the total to 17,337 - latest government figures show.

The number of cases has also increased by 4,301 in 24 hours, bringing the total of 129,044.

Meanwhile, 18,206 tests were carried out on Monday, the government said. Ministers have set a target of 100,000 tests a day by the end of April.

The latest death figures do not include those in the community, in places such as care homes. There is a longer time lag in that data but you can find the latest here.

Health officials have previously warned against over-interpreting daily figures of people dying, with many hard-pressed hospitals understandably not reporting deaths over a weekend until the middle of the following week.

So as expected a steep rise in fatalities after the weekend drop,and testing's gone down,i really can't see how we're going to hit anywhere near 100,000 a day by the end of the month,that will require a massive expansion.
The one positive we can take is that is our numbers have plateaued over the last two weeks.

The question now remains, does lockdown light also give us a downward reducing phase, or do we stay on a plateau.

Only time will tell us that.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:58 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:24 pm
YAWN.
abbreviation for You're A W..... Now...???

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:15 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:58 pm
abbreviation for You're A W..... Now...???
See whatever you like!....I'm just bored.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:17 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:11 pm
Masks:
"The World Health Organization (WHO) has said that only two groups of people should wear protective masks, those who are:

sick and showing symptoms
caring for people suspected to have coronavirus"
The fact that some people are carriers and show no symptoms means that they meet the criteria for being sick. Extend that logic and you don't know who is sick and who isn't; therefore everybody should wear a mask according the the WHO. If everybody wore a mask it would be of benefit to society, surely - especially whilst we get this disease under control.
thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:11 pm
And this from the BBC who are leading the charge for this latest meaningless restriction of our freedoms to placate the mice among us.
I dont know nor understand what you mean by this

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:17 pm
The fact that some people are carriers and show no symptoms means that they meet the criteria for being sick. Extend that logic and you don't know who is sick and who isn't; therefore everybody should wear a mask according the the WHO.
So when the WHO say that only people who are sick and showing symptoms should wear a mask, you've decided they meant everybody?

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:25 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:20 pm
So when the WHO say that only people who are sick and showing symptoms should wear a mask, you've decided they meant everybody?
No, read it again. I have deduced using logic that they should mean everybody based on the fact that some people are carriers and can be sick, but show no symptoms - ergo, should be wearing a mask. Logic states that in order to include that group, then all people should wear a mask.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:26 pm

Today’s U.K. figures inc deaths dating back to March 23rd ish . Monday’s ( only Monday ) deaths were running “ very low” compared to recent stats pretty close to the 11.15am cut off reporting time