Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Re: Covid-19

Post by dsr » Sat May 02, 2020 1:04 am

martin_p wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:01 am
I want to use the government supplied figure of people tested to represent the number of people tested. I was asked how many were actually tested and I supplied the figure of those actually tested. I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove here. How many do you think were tested in the last 24 hour period if it’s not 73k?
When do you count home tests posted out? When they are sent? When they are returned? Or, as you appear do be aiming for, not at all? You can argue that today's figures shouldn't include the home tests sent out today but should include those returned today. Trying to argue that home tests should never be counted at all? Doesn't work.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat May 02, 2020 1:06 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:57 am
I'm posting this again for you tory apologists
Yes, we know. 100,000 dead in Europe and it's all because of Boris.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat May 02, 2020 1:09 am

dsr wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:06 am
Yes, we know. 100,000 dead in Europe and it's all because of Boris.
Did you read any of it?........Do you ever read anything?.....i didn't say anything about Europe!

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat May 02, 2020 1:25 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:09 am
Did you read any of it?........Do you ever read anything?.....i didn't say anything about Europe!
Did you compare with South Korea because the UK is so very like South Korea and not at all like the rest of Europe? I suppose your point is that if someone else had been in charge, the UK would have been like South Korea and not like (say) everywhere in Europe. Who should have been in charge instead of Boris and what would they have done differently?

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat May 02, 2020 3:20 am

How about Germany or Denmark?......are they European enough....New Zealand?
The Koreans got it very early, and didn't have a successful template to follow..... unlike Boris and Co. They followed the protocols for dealing with a pandemic. TEST, TRACE and ISOLATE...Seoul almost 10 million people....2 deaths!
Boris et al chose to ignore Scientific advice and focus on the Economy.......which by the way will be disaster.
30,000 and counting are dead .....because of Tory incompetence!
Your defense of this Government is baseless & pathetic!
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan fatboy47

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat May 02, 2020 7:56 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:57 am
I'm posting this again for you tory apologists
I think when it gets to the point when you have to re quote your own posts to get the attention you crave, it's time to take the hint.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 1558 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 8:52 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:20 am
How about Germany or Denmark?......are they European enough....New Zealand?
The Koreans got it very early, and didn't have a successful template to follow..... unlike Boris and Co. They followed the protocols for dealing with a pandemic. TEST, TRACE and ISOLATE...Seoul almost 10 million people....2 deaths!
Boris et al chose to ignore Scientific advice and focus on the Economy.......which by the way will be disaster.
30,000 and counting are dead .....because of Tory incompetence!
Your defense of this Government is baseless & pathetic!

30,000 and counting are dead due to an unprecedented Global health crisis. It’s literally impossible to compare different countries at this stage which shows your misunderstanding and lack of knowledge.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat May 02, 2020 8:55 am

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:52 am
30,000 and counting are dead due to an unprecedented Global health crisis. It’s literally impossible to compare different countries at this stage which shows your misunderstanding and lack of knowledge.
The perception is that we haven't dealt with it as well as other countries in Europe.

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 9:03 am

In certain aspects we’ve been better than other European countries and in other aspects we’ve been worse. Our whole effort has been hampered by our lack of testing capacity within the uk, midway through the peak of the 1st wave this has been rectified for subsequent waves of this and future pandemics.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sat May 02, 2020 9:55 am

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:03 am
In certain aspects we’ve been better than other European countries and in other aspects we’ve been worse. Our whole effort has been hampered by our lack of testing capacity within the uk, midway through the peak of the 1st wave this has been rectified for subsequent waves of this and future pandemics.
Some aspects are more important than others, like the number of fatalities. Our whole effort was hampered by not taking action before the virus struck - because we have a Neville Chamberlain clown in charge, rather than a real Churchillian figure. Actually I'd compare Johnson more to Nero, because Chamberlain had better leadership qualities.

How often in life do you sit back after coming through a personal crisis, and consider how you'd do things differently. How, with the benefit of hindsight, you might have acted in a different way and mitigated part of the problem you've faced? We all do this. Our government had this very opportunity. They modelled this pandemic four years before it happened, and knew our weaknesses. Then they had many weeks after the virus emerged to remedy the weaknesses. This is not something that requires a special level of intelligence. A donkey would employ its knowledge of danger more fruitfully. They failed in the most basic element of governing - that of protecting people. I don't think the they're actually that stupid, but that they just don't care. I haven't heard any billionaire hedge fund managers complaining about government actions, because most of them have been selling the country short to make more money for themselves. They have their own personal doctors, and their families are safe - and these are the people the Tories represent. Look at Johnson's own words as to what he thinks of ordinary working people:

https://fullfact.org/online/Boris-Johnson-working-men/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 27941.html

How would you expect someone with such contempt for people to see this virus as anything other than a chance to rid the world of some of them?

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 10:23 am

What a load of (again) agenda fuelled nonsense that discredits anything you say because of your unbalanced view on events.

The government actually represents the nation that voted for it and that governments attempting to deal with an unprecedented global health emergency.
These 2 users liked this post: Hapag Lloyd tiger76

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Sat May 02, 2020 10:34 am

Andrew, it's funny you should mention Chamberlain and Churchill because the situation in 1939 and 1940 has been running through my mind as well. Britain was so unprepared for the crisis, cuts in expenditure had hamstrung the armed forces, and the response in Norway was a complete shambles.

I find it hard to criticise the government when we don't fully understand the facts of the situation, but the word shambles keeps popping into my mind. And perhaps the '100,000' tests is equivalent to the sinking of the Graf Spee, which was talked up at the time as if it was such a wonderful achievement that it would change the course of the war.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 02, 2020 10:39 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:55 am
Some aspects are more important than others, like the number of fatalities. Our whole effort was hampered by not taking action before the virus struck - because we have a Neville Chamberlain clown in charge, rather than a real Churchillian figure. Actually I'd compare Johnson more to Nero, because Chamberlain had better leadership qualities.

How often in life do you sit back after coming through a personal crisis, and consider how you'd do things differently. How, with the benefit of hindsight, you might have acted in a different way and mitigated part of the problem you've faced? We all do this. Our government had this very opportunity. They modelled this pandemic four years before it happened, and knew our weaknesses. Then they had many weeks after the virus emerged to remedy the weaknesses. This is not something that requires a special level of intelligence. A donkey would employ its knowledge of danger more fruitfully. They failed in the most basic element of governing - that of protecting people. I don't think the they're actually that stupid, but that they just don't care. I haven't heard any billionaire hedge fund managers complaining about government actions, because most of them have been selling the country short to make more money for themselves. They have their own personal doctors, and their families are safe - and these are the people the Tories represent. Look at Johnson's own words as to what he thinks of ordinary working people:

https://fullfact.org/online/Boris-Johnson-working-men/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 27941.html

How would you expect someone with such contempt for people to see this virus as anything other than a chance to rid the world of some of them?
Extremism is a very dangerous thing. Far better to think for yourself and realise, at some point, that those with views other than yours, do actually get some things right, rather than just go against those people, and governments, just because of what they stand for.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat May 02, 2020 10:52 am

73k tests is not even close to what we need a robust track and trace system. It's like attempting the moon landing and cheering because we've built a concrete launch pad.
Germany is up to a million test a week, has anyone talked about how we will approach this level? What the projected ceiling in this country given the machines and personnel, are we buying more testing hardware, are we recruiting new private labs?
In a two and a half weeks we've about tripled our capacity from 18k to 73k, we need to take this number and multiply it by well over 10 times to be effective tool.
Other countries are hopping round the moon playing golf and we're told the government is doing an amazing job because they've mastered fireworks.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat May 02, 2020 11:24 am

What's the opinion on here regarding this on Twitter?

twitter.jpg
twitter.jpg (64.86 KiB) Viewed 3434 times

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sat May 02, 2020 11:26 am

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:39 am
Extremism is a very dangerous thing. Far better to think for yourself and realise, at some point, that those with views other than yours, do actually get some things right, rather than just go against those people, and governments, just because of what they stand for.
Is it possible to be more extreme than governing a country for the benefit of one percent of its population?
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 11:39 am

CombatClaret wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:52 am
73k tests is not even close to what we need a robust track and trace system. It's like attempting the moon landing and cheering because we've built a concrete launch pad.
Germany is up to a million test a week, has anyone talked about how we will approach this level? What the projected ceiling in this country given the machines and personnel, are we buying more testing hardware, are we recruiting new private labs?
In a two and a half weeks we've about tripled our capacity from 18k to 73k, we need to take this number and multiply it by well over 10 times to be effective tool.
Other countries are hopping round the moon playing golf and we're told the government is doing an amazing job because they've mastered fireworks.
You literally have no clue what you’re talking about.

If you watch and listen to the daily briefing and subsequent questions every day you’d have all the answers you require.

Our testing capacity is over 100,00 per DAY (700,00 per week+) currently with another lighthouse ‘super lab’ opening Monday and others planned.

A contact tracing system is being put in place, ahead of time as it’s of maximum use when the r number is as low as possible and forms part of the lockdown easing measures. 18,000 tracers are being employed, this started a week or so ago. The app is a couple of weeks away which forms part of this system.

Germany was fortunate, like a few other countries that they already had labs operating in their countries. We had very few. It’s just the way our business/industry mix is.

We need a daily testing capacity of 730,000? Making it up as you go along.

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 11:41 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:26 am
Is it possible to be more extreme than governing a country for the benefit of one percent of its population?
Is it possible to be more extreme than peddling the same sh!te over and over and over again? Lunacy at its finest.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 02, 2020 11:46 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:26 am
I must be having a particularly thick day because I don't even know what that means, so cannot answer, sorry.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat May 02, 2020 11:48 am

CombatClaret wrote:
They have spent the whole of April talking about how they could get testing to 700,000 per week.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat May 02, 2020 11:49 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:24 am
What's the opinion on here regarding this on Twitter?

twitter.jpg
Sounds like another tedious ‘truther’. What ‘experts’? She doesn’t specify. Also the death toll is lower than worse case scenarios because countries locked down and enforced contact tracing, social distancing etc - something I imagine she’s against. And the cause of death is the cause of death -where is her evidence of fraudulent reporting? I would imagine she doesn’t have any. She strikes me as a dreadful person.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sat May 02, 2020 12:00 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:41 am
Is it possible to be more extreme than peddling the same sh!te over and over and over again? Lunacy at its finest.
"I'm unable to refute your argument, so I'll just insult you instead."

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sat May 02, 2020 12:10 pm

dsr wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:04 am
When do you count home tests posted out? When they are sent? When they are returned? Or, as you appear do be aiming for, not at all? You can argue that today's figures shouldn't include the home tests sent out today but should include those returned today. Trying to argue that home tests should never be counted at all? Doesn't work.
Where have I said home tests shouldn’t be counted. They should be counted when the have been returned and the test conducted in the lab. I’m really not sure what you’re arguing about, it’s the government that said 73k people were tested not me. Are you saying they’re lying?

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 12:30 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:00 pm
"I'm unable to refute your argument, so I'll just insult you instead."
Haha if only I could even understand your frothy mouthed, repetitive, boring and untrue brain farts you spout.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat May 02, 2020 12:30 pm

martin_p wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:10 pm
Where have I said home tests shouldn’t be counted. They should be counted when the have been returned and the test conducted in the lab. I’m really not sure what you’re arguing about, it’s the government that said 73k people were tested not me. Are you saying they’re lying?
There are three relevant numbers to yesterday.

1. test carried out on the spot = 73k
2. tests sent out via amazon or satellite = 49k
3. tests returned via amazon or satellite = unknown.

What the government is saying is that the number of tests should consist of those carried out on the spot plus those sent out. What you are saying is that is should be those carried out on the spot plus those returned.

You have already said that some were sent out earlier in the week; we can surely assume that some of them were returned. And yet you are adamant that the total of 73k plus the unknown number is still only 73k. Why are you so adamant that the returned tests do not count?
Last edited by dsr on Sat May 02, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 12:32 pm

martin_p wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:10 pm
They explained at yesterday’s briefing, extremely simply, how they are always counted.

Mala591
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 428 times

Post by Mala591 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:54 pm

Immediate 20% import tax (Covid reparation tax) on all Chinese goods and services to help pay for this medical and economic disaster?

No doubt our trade deficit with China is enormous so it would be a yes from me.
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sat May 02, 2020 1:16 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:30 pm
Haha if only I could even understand your frothy mouthed, repetitive, boring and untrue brain farts you spout.
I could try using smaller words, but if you're able to understand me sufficiently to think I'm wrong, then putting forward what you believe to be the real facts would best form the basis of a response.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat May 02, 2020 1:25 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:54 pm
Immediate 20% import tax (Covid reparation tax) on all Chinese goods and services to help pay for this medical and economic disaster?

Entirely agree that, at the right time (and probably after the govt have built some local manufacturing capability), some economic sanctions should be put in place.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat May 02, 2020 1:26 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
You've gone from saying the UK won't carry at out 100k tests (not people) a day by the end of the month to now saying there now needs to be over 5 million tests a week. Some absolute desperate stuff here and on other posts. The efforts of many people on the ground (this is much more than about government and their policy) to expand the testing to such an extent in the last few weeks has been brilliant and all you can do is try discredit them with such stupidity.
This user liked this post: Hapag Lloyd

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Sat May 02, 2020 1:27 pm

Mala591 wrote:

Admire the sentiment but doesn't that increase the price of some of the cheapest goods exactly at time when people's finances are shot to pieces?
It will also disproportional effect the poor as the rich can afford to buy more expensive products made elsewhere.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sat May 02, 2020 1:28 pm

This user liked this post: NewClaret

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Sat May 02, 2020 1:30 pm

taio wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:26 pm
You've gone from saying the UK won't carry at out 100k tests (not people) a day by the end of the month to now saying there now needs to be over 5 million tests a week. Some absolute desperate stuff here and on other posts. The efforts of many people on the ground (this is much more than about government and their policy) to expand the testing to such an extent in the last few weeks has been brilliant and all you can do is try discredit them with such stupidity.
Sorry I did mean closer to ten times the figure of a million per week, not by day.
I'm pointing out the government has got us all talking about an arbitrary figure and not about what number is actually useful to get us out of this, which is far, far greater than anything we're even close to.
Brilliant bit of distraction politics.
Last edited by CombatClaret on Sat May 02, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Sat May 02, 2020 1:31 pm

In terms of the testing and manipulating of the figures, consider this. You wouldn’t award an exam result if the test paper is in the post, only on satisfactory completion of the exam can the award be made.

The government did not test 100k in one day, but what they did achieve is still great because it is an improvement on the day before. I jus wish they’d stop trying to spin the data to make themselves look good, none of them will look good if they do that.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies THEWELLERNUT70

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Sat May 02, 2020 1:34 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:31 pm
In terms of the testing and manipulating of the figures, consider this. You wouldn’t award an exam result if the test paper is in the post, only on satisfactory completion of the exam can the award be made.

The government did not test 100k in one day, but what they did achieve is still great because it is an improvement on the day before. I jus wish they’d stop trying to spin the data to make themselves look good, none of them will look good if they do that.
This from the party of 40 'new' hospitals and 50,000 'new' nurses, it's in their DNA they can't stop trying to deceive with numbers and semantics.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 1:40 pm

Mala591 wrote:

They'd only offset it by raising the prices which would hit the consumer on some items we are overly reliant & can't source elsewhere. It's difficult to boycott when there's a monopoly on rare earths used to manufacture technology in the modern world we inhabit.

chadders
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by chadders » Sat May 02, 2020 1:41 pm

Yep, obviously 73k tested as of yesterday but good to get those tests out. Really important to use that data wisely. Test, trace isolate.

I know 5 people who have had this. 2 are dead 1 is still fighting for his life. Its highly unlikely they would have caught the virus if lockdown was a week earlier. 1 funeral was last week only 6 people could attend but folk lined the streets to pay their respects.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 02, 2020 2:17 pm

chadders wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:41 pm
Yep, obviously 73k tested as of yesterday but good to get those tests out. Really important to use that data wisely. Test, trace isolate.

I know 5 people who have had this. 2 are dead 1 is still fighting for his life. Its highly unlikely they would have caught the virus if lockdown was a week earlier. 1 funeral was last week only 6 people could attend but folk lined the streets to pay their respects.
Sorry for your loss, but would the public have accepted a lockdown a week earlier, how many cases at that point?

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 285 times
Has Liked: 423 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Sat May 02, 2020 2:34 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:34 pm
This from the party of 40 'new' hospitals and 50,000 'new' nurses, it's in their DNA they can't stop trying to deceive with numbers and semantics.
Not dissimilar to your good self a couple of posts ago.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 2:44 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:17 pm
Sorry for your loss, but would the public have accepted a lockdown a week earlier, how many cases at that point?
Don't think that'd be optional, bare facts exposed. A persuasive argument was in the offing.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 02, 2020 2:54 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:44 pm
Don't think that'd be optional, bare facts exposed. A persuasive argument was in the offing.
Not optional in what way?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:54 pm
Not optional in what way?
The public accepting it on the premise a week before or a week after, it made no difference really in that sense but a hell of a difference in a more sinister sense with the death toll & lack of PPE & testing kits, you can't really rationally argue against we was far too late to respond & sod benefit of hindsight overwhelming convincing evidence had already emerged of the viruses capabilities & deadly nature not to mention it's ability to spread at the drop of a hat.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 02, 2020 3:07 pm

Just my thoughts, but the the lockdown is being broken now, after 25k deaths, how strong would it have been after say, 30 deaths. Spain went into lockdown roughly a week before us, it was enforced by armed police and army. We don't have the benefit of that.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat May 02, 2020 3:11 pm

Frank - regarding the twitter comment you posted.

On the first point, I saw it reported during the week that care homes deaths could be counted as covid deaths without a test if that's what the home said caused the death. On that basis I think it could be argued that the twitter poster might have something.

The second point of more money being paid for covid deaths would need more evidence provided. I would say its unfounded at the moment.

The third point about the lethality of the virus is jumping the gun and again unfounded until a study is done of the 'excess deaths' figure, a long time into the future.

One of the things I find saddest about all this is that there is absolutely no doubt that thousands of people with underlying health issues will have had their lives tragically cut short. Something I think such twitterers should remember when they attempt to tell us all it is not as deadly as predicted.

android
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Sat May 02, 2020 3:15 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:31 pm

John Newton said that if the method used was to count the tests when they came back in, rather than when they went out, then the 100,000 tests target would still have been met on 30 April.

Disappointing for many (not necessarily you Zlatan) I know but there we are. Hancock met his target whether we like it or not.

chadders
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by chadders » Sat May 02, 2020 3:19 pm

Thanks Grumps. I can't speak for the public but if I was told we had to lockdown as it was a global emergency I think I could have been swayed. Some companies had already gone into lockdown. NI had banned large gatherings. Sadly its too late and we can't bring these folk back. Both deaths were male, fit and relatively young. One had some friends around who had just returned from holidaying in Northern Italy. Not clear how the other caught it. The third who is now on a ventilator 'thankfully' having just come off an ECMO after 4+weeks and multiple infections. They had some friends over the week before lockdown. One of the friends had a 'cold'.

You'll have to forgive me if I'm a little grumpy with our Gov's response. 7 days would have made a huge difference.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 02, 2020 3:19 pm

android wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:15 pm
John Newton said that if the method used was to count the tests when they came back in, rather than when they went out, then the 100,000 tests target would still have been met on 30 April.

Disappointing for many (not necessarily you Zlatan) I know but there we are. Hancock met his target whether we like it or not.
I'll give it about 5 mins before someone jumps on this saying they know different

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Sat May 02, 2020 3:23 pm

android wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:15 pm

It’s probably no secret that I’m no fan of Boris or the government, but on this issue the effort has been put in to make stuff happen - and it’s fair enough.

Personally I wish it could be devoid of spin etc, but I understand why that happens especially with a public who are “social media” informed.

Now to get a good stock of good face masks for the public to buy before they lift the lockdown so they can enforce masks in public - that would be my preferred route out of lockdown

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 02, 2020 3:25 pm

chadders wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:19 pm
Thanks Grumps. I can't speak for the public but if I was told we had to lockdown as it was a global emergency I think I could have been swayed. Some companies had already gone into lockdown. NI had banned large gatherings. Sadly its too late and we can't bring these folk back. Both deaths were male, fit and relatively young. One had some friends around who had just returned from holidaying in Northern Italy. Not clear how the other caught it. The third who is now on a ventilator 'thankfully' having just come off an ECMO after 4+weeks and multiple infections. They had some friends over the week before lockdown. One of the friends had a 'cold'.

You'll have to forgive me if I'm a little grumpy with our Gov's response. 7 days would have made a huge difference.
I don't think anyone is doubting 7 days would have made a difference, the point is could it have been enforced?
Stopping people coming back from Italy would also have helped, shutting down after the first case in Europe would have, but nobody would have accepted it, hence it wouldn't have had the outcome you think it might have.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat May 02, 2020 3:32 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:19 pm
I'll give it about 5 mins before someone jumps on this saying they know different
Iv listened to his interview on Radio 4 and if thats what is being referred to the its far from clear that he made that specific claim. If he's stated it more directly somewhere else then fair enough.

Out of interest have you seen his comments or listened to the interview or do you not have a clue what he did or did not say?