Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: Covid-19

Post by tiger76 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:16 pm

A good news story amongst all the doom.

Seriously ill woman in 'miracle' recovery from Covid-19 at care home where 11 died

Gail Macmillan's relatives prepared themselves for the worst after she contracted the illness at Whitehills Care Home.

The family of a bed-bound woman are celebrating her miraculous recovery from coronavirus.

Gail Macmillan's relatives believed she wouldn't "make it through the night" after becoming seriously ill at a care home were 11 others died.

The 57-year-old has suffered multiple underlying health conditions since suffering a massive brain haemorrhage in her 30s.

Sister-in-law Heather Macmillan revealed that the family prepared themselves for the worst when the heard the news.

And the worry only increased when her mum Wilma Thomson, 79, began to display symptoms at the same care home.

Heather told the East Kilbride News: "It is a miracle Gail is still alive after this, that's the only way to describe it.

"Gail is so very vulnerable and we were living in fear of it getting into the home.

"She was one of the first who tested positive and we all resigned ourselves to the fact this was the end for her - people a lot healthier than Gail have lost their fight against this disease."

Gail spent several years in Hairmyres Hospital and has been left bed bound and in need of constant care during her 15 years at Whitehills Care Home in East Kilbride.

Now, against all odds, both women are now recovering - and Heather says they are "beyond grateful" to the staff at Whitehills.

The news comes a week after a whistleblower raised concerns at management of the outbreak at the home.

The woman complained that staff were being put in harm's way without access to proper personal protection equipment and asked t pay for meals during grueling shifts.

But Heather said without the dedication of everyone at the care home, Gail would not be with them now.

She continued: "There have been so many times my husband and I have had calls saying Gail wasn't going to make it.

"When she became so ill this time medical staff stayed with her through the night. They monitored her continually and she has continued to improve."

Heather's mum moved into the home at the beginning of the year and carers at the home contacted the family immediately to advise that Wilma also had symptoms of coronavirus.

Heather, from East Mains, said: "She had the cough, but she was a heavy smoker for years and I've always known her to have a cough.

"She told us she generally felt like a wrung-out blanket and was in her bed for several days. The home treated her as if she was positive.

"She was put in isolation, all the procedures were followed and we were given daily updates on her condition and care - we couldn't fault Whitehills in any way."

Heather believes support for the care sector has been lacking during the coronavirus outbreak, saying it was "too slow in coming".

But she is hopeful the pandemic will have a silver lining, leading to improved care in the future.

She went on: "It is a vicious circle.

"There have been staff absences, and I don't know whether Whitehills has been harder hit than others, but I firmly believe it is in no way a reflection on the home, the staff or management.

"The support was too slow in coming for the care sector and who knows, maybe a positive that can come for all this is that lessons will be learned.

"My family have been among the lucky ones. We are so thankful for that."

Heather had specific praise for the staff at Whitehills Care Home who she said have gone "above and beyond" in caring for residents.

In particular, she praised their efforts to maintain healthy mental wellbeing, as well as their physical health.

She added: "It is such a worrying, distressing time for everyone - families, staff and residents but everyone has been phenomenal.

"Whitehills has had its issues in the past, but since the new management team came in and since my mum moved in at the beginning of the year, they have been amazing.

"Mum and the other residents are treated like family - it's much more than just a care home.

"One of the worst things is not being able to get in and see loved ones, but both my mum and Gail are on ground floor rooms so we go and wave through the window.

"Mum is coping far better than we expected. We though she would really struggle with the lack of contact but we gave her a mobile which she can call us on.

"My mother-in-law has COPD so she is in isolation herself in the 'at risk group'. She has been in absolute bits over Gail, it's been heartbreaking to see."

Lynne Mekshi manages Whitehills and said Gail and Wilma's recovery was "even more heartening at a time like this".

She said: "They're well-loved members of our community at Whitehills, so everyone is extremely glad to see them getting back to themselves."

aggi
Been Liked: 2122 times

Post by aggi » Mon May 11, 2020 5:37 pm

android wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:10 pm
She may have said that but I believe the rules in Scotland changed today so that you can go out and exercise as often as you like.
Arguably a mixed message from Sturgeon - "Stay at Home" but "go out as often as you like".
But just to be clear: Nicola Sturgeon is ace and Boris Johnson is bad.
The law never actually restriced how many times you could go out to exercise. I don't know about their guidance though.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon May 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:59 pm
Because they are an inept Government....Despite the Pandemic exercises in 2016 which showed shortfalls ....they did nothing except further enriching their donors.... Disgusting rabble!
Are you referring to Exercise Cygnus and if so can you quote from the leaked report that detailed PPE shortages?

I'm still waiting for the backlash from the media setting out significant failures in ignoring the recommendations of Exercise Cygnus.

As I said the other day a damp squib.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon May 11, 2020 6:13 pm

The Scottish policy is just more exercise....but no picnics. The same, but with more fitness!

Just listened to the Statement of the First Minister of Scotland, which was made to try and intercept the wish wash from the south.

Basically she said:

Dinnae listen tae tha bampot Boris. Get tae the shop, get yer cans and stay in and enjoy your bevvy. Gae fa a run tae work it aff. Still got a thick heed? It's ok tae go again. Get yerself some more cans while yer oot.
STAY IN STAY IN STAY IN STAY IN

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon May 11, 2020 7:35 pm

taio wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:12 pm
Are you referring to Exercise Cygnus and if so can you quote from the leaked report that detailed PPE shortages?

I'm still waiting for the backlash from the media setting out significant failures in ignoring the recommendations of Exercise Cygnus.

Waiting for a backlash from UK media against the government? For them to actually shine a light on government failings? Against the fella they've been boosting for years, and who they specifically avoid writing bad things about? I think you'll be waiting for a while.

But here's a link from the Telegraph when the story was just niche and small, in which they specifically refer to a shortage of PPE that occurs in the exercise (which I understand was a flu rather than animal to human virus): https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... overnment/

taio

Post by taio » Mon May 11, 2020 7:45 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:35 pm
Waiting for a backlash from UK media against the government? For them to actually shine a light on government failings? Against the fella they've been boosting for years, and who they specifically avoid writing bad things about? I think you'll be waiting for a while.

But here's a link from the Telegraph when the story was just niche and small, in which they specifically refer to a shortage of PPE that occurs in the exercise (which I understand was a flu rather than animal to human virus): https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... overnment/
That article was written before the report was leaked presumably based on speculation. However, I would suggest the failings referred to as being highlighted in the report haven't played out. Had that been the case we would have seen intense scrutiny and criticism by the media and those against the government at every juncture following the report being leaked, whereas the way it has played out has been very quiet.

Are you really suggesting the Exercise Cygnus report has clearly shown major failings and the media, including the Guardian, Independent and Mirror, have chosen not to report them, or could it be that the leaked report has not showed the major failings that you had a real thirst for? Have you read the leaked report that you posted the other day yet?
Last edited by taio on Mon May 11, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:47 pm

So the jocks welsh and Irish are saying they are staying home.... sounds just like the World Cup
This user liked this post: Volvoclaret

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon May 11, 2020 7:52 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:47 pm
So the jocks welsh and Irish are saying they are staying home.... sounds just like the World Cup
And England **** it up. It does sound like the World Cup.
These 4 users liked this post: Swizzlestick evensteadiereddie tiger76 Zlatan

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon May 11, 2020 7:57 pm

I dwell in east London, and today I saw more cars on the road than I've seen since the lockdown began. On the way back from the shops, there were people pouring out of the tube station. Many of them wore masks, but not all. I don't even want to imagine what it was like on the trains themselves. Social distancing simply isn't possible on London's public transport, given the number of people attempting to return to work.

This is the thing. Not everyone is financially covered, and this leads to desperation, and reckless behaviour. What I saw in terms of numbers of people, and close proximity was not what I understand the government were trying to promote yesterday. Workplace safety is probably a lucky dip right now too. If what I saw was replicated in other areas too, we're going to see more cases of the virus popping up, but unfortunately, until the government actually looks after everybody, we'll continue to see people - maybe even some who suspect they have it themselves - continuing to go to work, because poverty is a more pressing matter.

For the coterie that believe I only ever criticise the government: I like their cycle thing from the other day. :)

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon May 11, 2020 8:09 pm

taio wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:45 pm
That article was written before the report was leaked presumably based on speculation. However, I would suggest the failings referred to as being highlighted in the report haven't played out. Had that been the case we would have seen intense scrutiny and criticism by the media and those against the government at every juncture following the report being leaked, whereas the way it has played out has been very quiet.
For the Telegraph to write the article, at least some elements of the report must have been described. Someone with knowledge about the report told someone at the Telegraph about it. Can we agree that's a leak?

In the Tel article, they specifically mention PPE running out. In other articles they describe how the findings were never passed on to care home operators.

A digested version: We actually had a practice run at this, and we've still come out really badly considering. What did our government actually do about it?

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon May 11, 2020 8:14 pm

android wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:27 pm
Ok Grumps I take your point and perhaps blindingly obvious was over the top. But I think it is this. You might go to your relative's house with the intention of staying on the driveway. But you get there and it's raining and the temptation is to move inside. And you haven't seen your mum for 2 months and she wants to give you a hug. You get the picture - surely it's much more likely that a significant number of people (maybe not you or the other disciplined people) will a) end up indoors where the virus spreads many times more easily than outdoors and b) much more likely that people will end up in close proximity and facing each other rather than side by side.
Putting grumps to one side we've had Jaku doing a tour of the regions hardware stores but justifying it saying its ok so long as everyone uses common sense like him. And DSR who've gone to visit his family too.
So far it's only the government apologists admitting to breaking the rules deliberately?

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Mon May 11, 2020 8:18 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:57 pm
I dwell in east London, and today I saw more cars on the road than I've seen since the lockdown began. On the way back from the shops, there were people pouring out of the tube station. Many of them wore masks, but not all. I don't even want to imagine what it was like on the trains themselves. Social distancing simply isn't possible on London's public transport, given the number of people attempting to return to work.
They've put '2 meter apart' stickers on the floor of tube stations but then it's a free for all once inside the carriage, ridiculous half measures they know are only for show.
Even during the quietest of lockdown rush hour was still busy with key workers.

taio

Post by taio » Mon May 11, 2020 8:18 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:09 pm
For the Telegraph to write the article, at least some elements of the report must have been described. Someone with knowledge about the report told someone at the Telegraph about it. Can we agree that's a leak?

In the Tel article, they specifically mention PPE running out. In other articles they describe how the findings were never passed on to care home operators.

A digested version: We actually had a practice run at this, and we've still come out really badly considering. What did our government actually do about it?
Have you read the report?

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Mon May 11, 2020 8:25 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:11 pm
I went on cheap holiday.... Lie
I went away in march........ Lie
I was repatriated............... Lie
My resort was shut........... Lie

All repeated by you on several threads
All pointed out to you on many occasions, to be false, yet you continue to repeat them

I replied to a post you made saying all flights should have stopped in early March
I pointed out many people, including myself would have been stranded abroad, with no accommodation
Replying to a post is not trolling, in fact I don't think I've ever trolled anyone in my life.
You calling me delusional is not abuse?
Now you didn't stay away long last time you said goodbye, hopefully you'll try better this time.
Your cap fits superbly. I had no quibble with you, but you have been offensive and ill reasoned. Stay safe.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3110 times
Has Liked: 3828 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 11, 2020 9:05 pm

AndrewJB wrote:

This is the thing. Not everyone is financially covered, and this leads to desperation, and reckless behaviour. What I saw in terms of numbers of people, and close proximity was not what I understand the government were trying to promote yesterday. Workplace safety is probably a lucky dip right now too. If what I saw was replicated in other areas too, we're going to see more cases of the virus popping up, but unfortunately, until the government actually looks after everybody, we'll continue to see people - maybe even some who suspect they have it themselves - continuing to go to work, because poverty is a more pressing matter.

For the coterie that believe I only ever criticise the government: I like their cycle thing from the other day. :)
I knew you’d love that :D

Personally think it needs much more investment & I would cancel HS2 to fund it. First in major cities, then towns, then the suburbs that feed those towns.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 11, 2020 9:41 pm

Anyone know what’s happening in China now?

Seems to have gone very quiet over there?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon May 11, 2020 9:42 pm

Reported a small rise in new cases today I read.

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Mon May 11, 2020 9:56 pm

"People who cannot work from home" = People the government told to stop working, and introduced a furlough scheme for. They are sending folk back to work, and making it sound like a personal decision; like you were trying to be a scaffolder from home but it just wasn't happening.

Frankie Boyle nailing it.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 11, 2020 10:01 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:42 pm
Reported a small rise in new cases today I read.
Well dodgy, that. No way they just expunged it from their country in the blink of an eye.
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon May 11, 2020 10:07 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:01 pm
Well dodgy, that. No way they just expunged it from their country in the blink of an eye.
Also a rise in new cases in Germany since they relaxed their lockdown.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:12 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:56 pm
"People who cannot work from home" = People the government told to stop working, and introduced a furlough scheme for. They are sending folk back to work, and making it sound like a personal decision; like you were trying to be a scaffolder from home but it just wasn't happening.

Frankie Boyle nailing it.
I preferred the Matt Lucas take on that weird speech.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e111227 ... =10549024

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/matt-lucas-b ... 9743.html

I'm sorry but laughter is the only way to treat this nonsense.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:14 pm

Can play golf from Wednesday with one person from your family or one person from outside your family.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:23 pm

Italy's intensive care number drops below 1,000

Italy has announced a further 179 coronavirus-related deaths, a slight increase on Sunday's daily total, taking the overall death toll to 30,739.

However, more positively, the number of people in intensive care in the country (999) has fallen below 1,000 for the first time in two months, having reached 4,068 people at the peak of the crisis.

There are 744 new cases, a rise by a record low of 0.34% - although there has been a drop in the number of tests.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon May 11, 2020 10:24 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:14 pm
Can play golf from Wednesday with one person from your family or one person from outside your family.
Can you touch each other's balls, or is that a no go? Asking for a rightwing Brexit friend, of course.
These 2 users liked this post: NewClaret Taffy on the wing

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:24 pm

New York cases continue to fall

The rate of new cases has been dropping in New York, unlike many other parts of the US where the curve is climbing daily.

"We took the worst situation in the nation and changed the trajectory," says Governor Andrew Cuomo.

There were 207 new deaths reported in New York on Sunday, bringing the curve back to its 20 March level when roughly 520 new infections occurred.

Cuomo adds that protecting the elderly in nursing homes is "one of our top priorities” as parts of the economy begin to reopen.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon May 11, 2020 10:30 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:18 pm
They've put '2 meter apart' stickers on the floor of tube stations but then it's a free for all once inside the carriage, ridiculous half measures they know are only for show.
Even during the quietest of lockdown rush hour was still busy with key workers.
As long as it's poor people, it's building herd immunity. To protect the working class of the north - who the party support by "getting brexit done" (like that'll happen).

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:31 pm

AndrewJB wrote:

Boris Johnson: There will be spot inspections on businesses

Labour MP Chi Onwurah says the PM is telling those who cannot work from home to get back to work "without transport, childcare or proper PPE in place".

"We are going to insist that businesses are going to look after their workers," replies Boris Johnson.

"We will be having spot inspections to make sure businesses are keeping employees safe."

Good words,will they be matched by action?

I thought if you had symptoms,you weren't supposed to be going to work,or has that advice changed,if your referring to the furlough scheme,that was only ever going to be temporary.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 11, 2020 10:32 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:24 pm
Can you touch each other's balls, or is that a no go? Asking for a rightwing Brexit friend, of course.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:33 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:07 pm
So you’re perfectly happy with the rest of the clusterfuck then Sid? Good to know
Is that your word of the week, clusterfuck?
I haven't said I'm happy with anything, I just asked about the EU PPE plans which you failed to answer, probably because you don't know.

At least I got a sensible answer from Devil.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon May 11, 2020 10:36 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:33 pm
Is that your word of the week, clusterfuck?
I haven't said I'm happy with anything, I just asked about the EU PPE plans which you failed to answer, probably because you don't know.

At least I got a sensible answer from Devil.
Whatever...
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon May 11, 2020 10:37 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:05 pm
I knew you’d love that :D

Personally think it needs much more investment & I would cancel HS2 to fund it. First in major cities, then towns, then the suburbs that feed those towns.
So you're saying it won't happen? Don't get mad when I call it another Tory lie.

Okay - you have to live through the lie that is Brexit, but we all have to live through Tory incompetence until theyre gone.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon May 11, 2020 10:48 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:31 pm
Boris Johnson: There will be spot inspections on businesses

Labour MP Chi Onwurah says the PM is telling those who cannot work from home to get back to work "without transport, childcare or proper PPE in place".

"We are going to insist that businesses are going to look after their workers," replies Boris Johnson.

"We will be having spot inspections to make sure businesses are keeping employees safe."

Good words,will they be matched by action?

I thought if you had symptoms,you weren't supposed to be going to work,or has that advice changed,if your referring to the furlough scheme,that was only ever going to be temporary.
The government could more easily control public transport,than business, so from what I've seen, its a free for all.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon May 11, 2020 11:06 pm

I liked this :)
Attachments
Books.JPG
Books.JPG (36.74 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Mon May 11, 2020 11:10 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:14 pm
Putting grumps to one side we've had Jaku doing a tour of the regions hardware stores but justifying it saying its ok so long as everyone uses common sense like him. And DSR who've gone to visit his family too.
So far it's only the government apologists admitting to breaking the rules deliberately?
I have never gone to visit my family. You might be confusing "taking my mother out for a walk" with "going to visit my family", but they aren't the same thing.
Last edited by dsr on Mon May 11, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon May 11, 2020 11:11 pm

Newsnight just a minute ago. Emily Maitlis and Damian Green.

Emily Maitlis = "If you're a zero hours worker how would you feel about returning to work if you're employer has lack of adequate PPE"

Damian Green - "well only 3% of the workforce are on zero hours contracts"

Now, doesn't that just sum things up.
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank Swizzlestick evensteadiereddie

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 11, 2020 11:11 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:37 pm
So you're saying it won't happen? Don't get mad when I call it another Tory lie.

Okay - you have to live through the lie that is Brexit, but we all have to live through Tory incompetence until theyre gone.
No, I’m saying it needs a lot more than £2bn to make it happen nation wide. I know you Laaaardanars think the whole world revolves around you, and forget there’s civilisation outside of the M25, but after you’ve got your cycle lane from East Aaam to the City, there needs to be more than a few crumbs left for us Northerners.

If he does “get it done” though, I hope to see you wearing a blue “I heart Boris” t-shirt at your next green rally :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue May 12, 2020 1:35 am

taio wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Shortfalls in preparedness.........which were roundly ignored.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue May 12, 2020 5:11 am

taio wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:45 pm

Are you really suggesting the Exercise Cygnus report has clearly shown major failings and the media, including the Guardian, Independent and Mirror, have chosen not to report them, or could it be that the leaked report has not showed the major failings that you had a real thirst for? Have you read the leaked report that you posted the other day yet?
What would constitute a major failing for you?.......There's simply nothing your Boy-crush can do wrong!

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue May 12, 2020 8:03 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:11 pm
Newsnight just a minute ago. Emily Maitlis and Damian Green.

Emily Maitlis = "If you're a zero hours worker how would you feel about returning to work if you're employer has lack of adequate PPE"

Damian Green - "well only 3% of the workforce are on zero hours contracts"

Now, doesn't that just sum things up.
And when they were asked about security regarding the app, their reply was that it's voluntary.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue May 12, 2020 8:06 am

taio wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:18 pm
Have you read the report?
I can’t read what the government refuse to release. Hancock said some time back that his people assured him that all the proposals were implemented - so no reason to withhold publication. I can only talk about it in the knowledge it happened, and what it was about - which is similar to what we’re going through.

taio

Post by taio » Tue May 12, 2020 8:15 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:06 am
I can’t read what the government refuse to release. Hancock said some time back that his people assured him that all the proposals were implemented - so no reason to withhold publication. I can only talk about it in the knowledge it happened, and what it was about - which is similar to what we’re going through.
The report can be viewed and downloaded from the link that you posted the other day - I used your link to do the same.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2326 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:49 am

Time for the country to push for a ""Government of National Unity"".

The situation is now becoming critical, and it's now clear that only a very small number of dogmatc diehard Sun readers are happy with an imbecile at the helm.

Politics aside, Starmer has the look of someone able to sideline polical dogma and take an analytical calculated route through this swamp.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue May 12, 2020 8:54 am

fatboy47 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:49 am
Time for the country to push for a ""Government of National Unity"".

The situation is now becoming critical, and it's now clear that only a very small number of dogmatc diehard Sun readers are happy with an imbecile at the helm.

Politics aside, Starmer has the look of someone able to sideline polical dogma and take an analytical calculated route through this swamp.
I’m not sure it would be of benefit. I like the idea of it in theory, but reality would be difficult.

Too many voices will dilute the various messages and, not if, but when it all has gone t1ts up it will be blame game central

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 7571 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue May 12, 2020 9:01 am

Decent little sketch in The Guardian on the exasperating Boris.

Motor misfires as PM tries to steer away from car crash of night before

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... _clipboard
These 4 users liked this post: longsidepies evensteadiereddie Pimlico_Claret Taffy on the wing

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Tue May 12, 2020 11:39 am

Talk radio full of people confused or just making up their own rules, using 'common sense' etc.

"As I see it my kids are far less likely to get infected at their grandparents than in the park."

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue May 12, 2020 12:54 pm

Furlough scheme extended as is until end of July, then continues with additional ‘help’ from employers until October.

Interested to see the detail of the latter part, but fair play to the government on this one.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue May 12, 2020 12:58 pm

Yet to see the full details but the Govts update on the Furlough scheme delivered just now by Sunak looks a very good move and full credit for them to commit to further support business and workers financially through this tough period

This should give breathing space to business and employees to prepare properly to get back into work where possible and the idea of a more flexible scheme to support part time Furlough from August also makes sense

I look forward to seeing the deal but against all the criticism this for me is a real positive step to applaud

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue May 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:58 pm
Yet to see the full details but the Govts update on the Furlough scheme delivered just now by Sunak looks a very good move and full credit for them to commit to further support business and workers financially through this tough period

This should give breathing space to business and employees to prepare properly to get back into work where possible and the idea of a more flexible scheme to support part time Furlough from August also makes sense

I look forward to seeing the deal but against all the criticism this for me is a real positive step to applaud
Yep, a good move, should put people’s minds at rest.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue May 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Really good news for businesses and employees from Sunak, sure the finer details from august onwards will need scrutiny but this provides plenty of reassurance. If there's one success story from the government's pandemic response, it's this scheme.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue May 12, 2020 1:04 pm

German scientists 'not concerned' by rise in R value
Jenny Hill

BBC Berlin correspondent

The scientists who advise the German government say they are not concerned by an apparent rise in the reproduction rate of the coronavirus. The so-called R value has been calculated above a value of 1 since Saturday.

The vice president of the Robert Koch institute, Lars Schaade, said the figure reflects the situation in Germany a week and a half ago. It fluctuates - and the fewer infections there are, the greater the impact of an outbreak (like those recently reported in slaughterhouses) on the R value.

Schaade said he would only be concerned if R rose above 1.2 or 1.3 for several days in a row. He added that hospital capacity and the actual number of new infections were also important to look at.
This user liked this post: KateR