Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Re: Covid-19

Post by jackmiggins » Sat May 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Cummings must be goings - end of.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat May 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:56 pm
Isn't that the general way of the liberal left these days? Politics in this country is utterly toxic at present.

I'm no Cummings fan..far from it and a large part of me wants to see him go but in this case i think he did what he thought as a father would be for the best. Moved his family group in a private car to another private house where he locked down with outside support from his family in case they were needed to help with his child. If he decided to get out for a Ginsters or a McDs at a service station then that would be an entirely different situation. No evidence he did. Lets not kid ourselves here this is more about political point scoring and his opponents seeking blood rather than caring about the nations health.
It is nothing more than a witch hunt. It may have a positive outcome though.
Can you answer this question I posted a few minutes ago:

What's the point on travelling 260 miles to be near family - how could they provide child care without risk of catching and spreading the virus?

It's a genuine question and I'm not trying to be a smart arse - haven't seen this covered elsewhere so I've probably got the wrong end of the stick.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat May 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:54 pm
What are you on about?

Don’t you get what’s happening here?

Basically every single parent now who becomes symptomatic has the green light to leave the house and potentially spread the disease through society.

It’s an utter ludicrous situation and flys in the face of the previous messaging from public health England
I suggest you read the exact piece in the government guidance in relation to looking after children where people are isolating in the household

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:08 pm

Johnson will be rinsed at the next PMQs by Starmer if Cummings isnt sacked.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat May 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Presumably there is a family feud with his wife’s brother who lives in London?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat May 23, 2020 5:10 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:08 pm
Johnson will be rinsed at the next PMQs by Starmer if Cummings isnt sacked.
Johnson will be rinsed at the next PMQs by Starmer if Cummings is sacked.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 23, 2020 5:12 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:55 pm
"Everyone in your household must stay at home if one of you shows symptoms" - Obey = not a good parent.

"If you think you MIGHT fall ill because one of you has symptoms, travel as far as you want to be near friends and family." = Good parent

Grumps up to his usual slavish best to defend anything coming out of No10.
Read my previous posts, I've clearly said he should be sacked if he's broken the guidelines

If you read them, specifically the part regarding children, then you'll see there is an argument that what he did wasn't against the guidelines

Or you could just do what you and others are doing, it's someone who's not well liked, just sack him.
This user liked this post: Somethingfishy

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 pm

taio wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:05 pm
Can you answer this question I posted a few minutes ago:

What's the point on travelling 260 miles to be near family - how could they provide child care without risk of catching and spreading the virus?

It's a genuine question and I'm not trying to be a smart arse - haven't seen this covered elsewhere so I've probably got the wrong end of the stick.
I presume to provide food and medicine if both parents are unable to leave the house having the virus. The questions arise on whether he didnt trust his neighbours to help and even his brother in law. He obviously decided to trust his Durham family. Nobody knows the ins and outs of his family life. He hasn't broken the guidelines if you take the common sense to safeguarding into account. Jenny Harries was quite clear in this.
As i said it is nothing more than his opponents sniffing blood. I wouldn't be too disappointed if he got the boot or resigned. Just seems a harsh way to do it.

taio

Post by taio » Sat May 23, 2020 5:16 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 pm
I presume to provide food and medicine if both parents are unable to leave the house having the virus. The questions arise on whether he didnt trust his neighbours to help and even his brother in law. He obviously decided to trust his Durham family. Nobody knows the ins and outs of his family life. He hasn't broken the guidelines if you take the common sense to safeguarding into account. Jenny Harries was quite clear in this.
As i said it is nothing more than his opponents sniffing blood. I wouldn't be too disappointed if he got the boot or resigned. Just seems a harsh way to do it.
Cummings will be well aware that there are community hubs throughout the country providing food and medicines where people cannot get those supplies themselves.

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Sat May 23, 2020 5:18 pm

‘Do not leave home if you, or anyone in your household shows symptoms’. Seems pretty clear to me - where is there any possible loophole in this???

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat May 23, 2020 5:18 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 pm
They are two of the most well connected people in London so again the idea they needed to go to Durham to get support and that not to do so posed a serious risk to life for the child is just absurd

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat May 23, 2020 5:24 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:07 pm
I suggest you read the exact piece in the government guidance in relation to looking after children where people are isolating in the household
Seems a strong case he breached regulation 6 of the The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 as they stood at the time.
The defense used by Cummings was that he had a reasonable excuse (not listed). This then leads to the question was no childcare available closer that 250 miles away, answer yes there probably was given proximity of other family and other resources. And since he was not showing symptoms at the time why could he not provide the childcare while his wife self isolated in their home.

Also if it was reasonable given his prominent role, why didn’t he open up about it before being forced to? This includes several articles and radio interviews from him and his wife as well as Downing Street statement all saying that Cummings was quaranted in London. If it’s “reasonable” why go to great lengths to hide it?
EYs3s4VWAAAQXpk.jpg
EYs3s4VWAAAQXpk.jpg (208.36 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
Last edited by CombatClaret on Sat May 23, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:27 pm

Let's look at the current guidance. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -infection

At the point where they drove to Durham our understanding is that his wife was ill but he wasn't. So Dominic should have been looking at this

"if you live with others and you are the first in the household to have symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), then you must stay at home for at least 7 days, but all other household members who remain well must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill."

So his wife had to stay home for 7 days and he had to for 14.

His defence has to be the following paragraph.

"If you are living with children

Keep following this advice to the best of your ability, however, we are aware that not all these measures will be possible.

What we have seen so far is that children with coronavirus (COVID-19) appear to be less severely affected. It is nevertheless important to do your best to follow this guidance."

Given that he personally was not ill when they set off then I really don't see how he was doing his best to follow the guidance. (Conversely if he was ill then why was he setting off on such a long drive).

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 23, 2020 5:46 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:24 pm
Seems a strong case he breached regulation 6 of the The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 as they stood at the time.
The defense used by Cummings was that he had a reasonable excuse (not listed). This then leads to the question was no childcare available closer that 250 miles away, answer yes there probably was given proximity of other family and other resources. And since he was not showing symptoms at the time why could he not provide the childcare while his wife self isolated in their home.

Also if it was reasonable given his prominent role, why didn’t he open up about it before being forced to? This includes several articles and radio interviews from him and his wife as well as Downing Street statement all saying that Cummings was quaranted in London. If it’s “reasonable” why go to great lengths to hide it?

EYs3s4VWAAAQXpk.jpg
And if you read the official gov advice, on self isolating, after it tells you what you cannot do, there's the bit about children, which states not all these rules can be abided by.
How do you possibly know who was available closer to home, and even if there was, what their commitments were that might not have allowed looking after a 4yr old.
If he'd stayed at home, and both parents became so ill, their 4yr old year child could not be looked after, what would have happened then, taken into care?

Anything that's happened, or not happened since is a different matter.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sat May 23, 2020 5:46 pm

Needs to go if the government want to preserve credibility with what they are telling people to do.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sat May 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:46 pm
And if you read the official gov advice, on self isolating, after it tells you what you cannot do, there's the bit about children, which states not all these rules can be abided by.
How do you possibly know who was available closer to home, and even if there was, what their commitments were that might not have allowed looking after a 4yr old.
If he'd stayed at home, and both parents became so ill, their 4yr old year child could not be looked after, what would have happened then, taken into care?

Became so ill that they could travel to Durham?

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:50 pm

Grumps wrote:

"It is nevertheless important to do your best to follow this guidance."

His wife was ill, he wasn't. Was he doing his best to follow the guidance? I would say not.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 23, 2020 5:52 pm

nyclaret wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:47 pm
Became so ill that they could travel to Durham?
Not sure what you're saying, but the could both have been hospitalised, very quickly looking at others. So he was protecting his child,not a bad thing to do

If it turns out he was doing something else then deal with him accordingly

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Sat May 23, 2020 5:54 pm

Grumps wrote:
Guidance was also clear as laid out by Keith above. As Cummings was not showing symptons at the time he could have perfectly easily have followed the advice already given and stayed put.

Also guidance is just that, the above was regulation which effectively has the same force as law. So the guidance should be followed within those regulations set out. There was nothing in the guidance about being allowed to breach regulations.
Last edited by CombatClaret on Sat May 23, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Sat May 23, 2020 5:55 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:52 pm
Not sure what you're saying, but the could both have been hospitalised, very quickly looking at others. So he was protecting his child,not a bad thing to do

You’re particularly grumpy today - chill (as I’m usually advised by the minions).

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 23, 2020 5:55 pm

keith1879 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:50 pm
"It is nevertheless important to do your best to follow this guidance."

His wife was ill, he wasn't. Was he doing his best to follow the guidance? I would say not.
If he's telling the truth, he was protecting his son in case he did get ill.
I don't have a problem with that, even if it's pushing the boundaries of the advice, I would do whatever it took to protect my 4yr old in those circumstances. Sorry if that offends

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Sat May 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:55 pm
I don't have a problem with that, even if it's pushing the boundaries of the advice, I would do whatever it took to protect my 4yr old in those circumstances. Sorry if that offends
So you've gone from, 'he was obeying the rules' to, 'I've got no problem morally if he broke them'.
It was quite clear you were just flailing to defend him whatever, I just want to be clear on the u-turn.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat May 23, 2020 5:58 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:56 pm
Isn't that the general way of the liberal left these days? Politics in this country is utterly toxic at present.

I'm no Cummings fan..far from it and a large part of me wants to see him go but in this case i think he did what he thought as a father would be for the best. Moved his family group in a private car to another private house where he locked down with outside support from his family in case they were needed to help with his child. If he decided to get out for a Ginsters or a McDs at a service station then that would be an entirely different situation. No evidence he did. Lets not kid ourselves here this is more about political point scoring and his opponents seeking blood rather than caring about the nations health.
It is nothing more than a witch hunt. It may have a positive outcome though.
Precisely, Somethingfishy.

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Sat May 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Grumps wrote:
But he either took his child (possibly infected) to his elderly parents, or to another house to, again, be isolated with him and his wife. I’m afraid any argument is indefensible.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat May 23, 2020 6:00 pm

Grumps wrote:
A better way to protect his son would have been to isolate him from his ill wife, not stick them in a confined space together for 5-6 hours.
These 3 users liked this post: jackmiggins joey13 tiger76

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 23, 2020 6:05 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:57 pm
So you've gone from, 'he was obeying the rules' to, 'I've got no problem morally if he broke them'.
It was quite clear you were just flailing to defend him whatever, I just want to be clear on the u-turn.
I've never said that.. I've always pointed out the advice which allows someone to do what he did, even if it's the boundary of said advice

taio

Post by taio » Sat May 23, 2020 6:05 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:00 pm
A better way to protect his son would have been to isolate him from his ill wife, not stick them in a confined space together for 5-6 hours.
Exactly. If they needed child care support it should have come to them. In fact putting a child in a car for 6 hours with someone who has symptoms of Covid could be seen as a potential safeguarding issue.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Was he protecting his child ?

BurningBeard
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 158 times

Post by BurningBeard » Sat May 23, 2020 6:09 pm

If he'd been stopped and questioned by police within the first, let's say, 100 miles of this journey, do we think they'd have turned him round and sent him home? I'm going with yes.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 23, 2020 6:11 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:59 pm
But he either took his child (possibly infected) to his elderly parents, or to another house to, again, be isolated with him and his wife. I’m afraid any argument is indefensible.
To a house where he and his wife and son could self isolate, close to his sister and niece, both younger, who could assist with childcare. Not to a house occupied by anyone else

I've no great feeling towards Cummings, but I like the truth, not made up stories
Like I said before, and after this iam off, if he broke the rules, sack him, no problem. But like I said hours ago, there is a get out of jail card within the advice, which the secretary of state referred to in his briefing.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 23, 2020 6:14 pm

joey13 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:05 pm
Was he protecting his child ?
Had both parents become ill and unable to look after him, yes he was......

taio

Post by taio » Sat May 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:11 pm
To a house where he and his wife and son could self isolate, close to his sister and niece, both younger, who could assist with childcare. Not to a house occupied by anyone else

I've no great feeling towards Cummings, but I like the truth, not made up stories
Like I said before, and after this iam off, if he broke the rules, sack him, no problem. But like I said hours ago, there is a get out of jail card within the advice, which the secretary of state referred to in his briefing.
Only someone with blind loyalty to the government would think the rules cover the circumstances as reported.

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Sat May 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:11 pm

Taking a child that is probably infected to his Sister’s house, with Niece??? Get real.

taio

Post by taio » Sat May 23, 2020 6:16 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:14 pm
Putting a child in a car for six hours with someone who is symptomatic isn't protective.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat May 23, 2020 6:20 pm

The Spectator who employ his wife have published an article saying he must go. See how the Sunday Mail view it tomorrow.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 23, 2020 6:27 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Taking a child that is probably infected to his Sister’s house, with Niece??? Get real.
Another, separate house, just the 3 of them.... Sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Sat May 23, 2020 6:28 pm

Can't make his wife's account on R4 fit his story at all. Perhaps Grumps can explain the exact timeline of the story and why he was in close proximity to his child whilst in bed collapsed receiving Ribvena drinks from him ?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 pm

taio wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:16 pm
Putting a child in a car for six hours with someone who is symptomatic isn't protective.
As the CMO said at the briefing, no more risk than staying at home with them, which is what you wanted them to do.

BurningBeard
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 158 times

Post by BurningBeard » Sat May 23, 2020 6:30 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:20 pm
The Spectator who employ his wife have published an article saying he must go. See how the Sunday Mail view it tomorrow.
She could find herself out of that gig if it transpires she's been telling porkies or economical with the truth in their name.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 23, 2020 6:32 pm

cblantfanclub wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:28 pm
Can't make his wife's account on R4 fit his story at all. Perhaps Grumps can explain the exact timeline of the story and why he was in close proximity to his child whilst in bed collapsed receiving Ribvena drinks from him ?
Wouldn't know, haven't heard it.... But what I've said many times, if the story isn't the truth, and he broke the rules..... Sack him!!!!

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:32 pm

Grumps wrote:
Surely his son should have been kept apart from his wife ?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat May 23, 2020 6:32 pm

BurningBeard wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:30 pm
She could find herself out of that gig if it transpires she's been telling porkies or economical with the truth in their name.
Or the editor could if he knew they’d been to Durham and published her article a few weeks ago which failed to mention that part!

taio

Post by taio » Sat May 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 pm
As the CMO said at the briefing, no more risk than staying at home with them, which is what you wanted them to do.
What did you hear Jenny Harries specifically say? From what I heard she made a point of not commenting on the specific case of Cummings.

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Sat May 23, 2020 6:42 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:27 pm
Another, separate house, just the 3 of them.... Sorry if it wasn't clear enough.
Totally clear, but you’re getting confoduddled by your own interpretation AGAIN.

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Sat May 23, 2020 6:44 pm

taio wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:33 pm
What did you hear Jenny Harries specifically say? From what I heard she made a point of not commenting on the specific case of Cummings.
She attempted to shimmy, very uncomfortably.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat May 23, 2020 6:44 pm

I refuse to think Dominic Cummings has done anything wrong, unless it turns out that his parents’ farm is a donkey sanctuary worth £10m.
These 3 users liked this post: tiger76 Steve-Harpers-perm jackmiggins

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:47 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:44 pm
I refuse to think Dominic Cummings has done anything wrong, unless it turns out that his parents’ farm is a donkey sanctuary worth £10m.
:lol:

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 23, 2020 6:50 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:42 pm
Totally clear, but you’re getting confoduddled by your own interpretation AGAIN.
Below is what you replied to, suggesting I'd said they were stopping in the same house as his sister, now which one of us is confoduddled

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Sat May 23, 2020 6:54 pm

How could they ‘assist’ with childcare from a different building? Think before posting!

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Sat May 23, 2020 6:56 pm

Having my tea shortly-or should I say No 49 are going to have it??