Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Re: Covid-19

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:59 am

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:39 pm
You'd imagine same areas of London would be contenders for high instances of people having developed anti-bodies.

That was the early epicentre in the UK.
Blackpool, Barrow in Furness and the South Coast Brighton area also come to mind.

The government should be testing the general population for antibodies in these areas to see what the 'state of play' is. Will they? "Well uh ahh were working hard uhm".

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:50 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:59 am
Blackpool, Barrow in Furness and the South Coast Brighton area also come to mind.

The government should be testing the general population for antibodies in these areas to see what the 'state of play' is. Will they? "Well uh ahh were working hard uhm".
I must admit I've not been following the news as much over the past few days, but i thought that was meant to be the idea of the track & trace system, to pick up on any local outbreaks, and prevent them spreading, obviously we're aware that they can't antibody test the whole country, but small localised areas where there's the potential for clusters to form, should surely be manageable.

This is what worries me about our government's approach, i don't see any evidence of a concrete strategy, there may well be one, but if it exists then it's being kept mightily quiet.

Hancock was talking about perhaps implementing localised lockdowns about a week ago, but i don't see how that's viable, if they're not able to carry out a good number of antibody tests in specific locations.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:09 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:50 am
I must admit I've not been following the news as much over the past few days, but i thought that was meant to be the idea of the track & trace system, to pick up on any local outbreaks, and prevent them spreading, obviously we're aware that they can't antibody test the whole country, but small localised areas where there's the potential for clusters to form, should surely be manageable.

This is what worries me about our government's approach, i don't see any evidence of a concrete strategy, there may well be one, but if it exists then it's being kept mightily quiet.

Hancock was talking about perhaps implementing localised lockdowns about a week ago, but i don't see how that's viable, if they're not able to carry out a good number of antibody tests in specific locations.
The last that I heard was the system that will be used for local lockdown is not up and running yet. Like the 'track and trace system' it could be a few weeks away. Track and trace will use antigen tests rather than antibody tests.

You would think that they would be able to carry out an antibody test of a sample of the local population where an outbreak has been bad. The sample would need to be of the population in general - not just the one's who have had symptoms. This would then give a picture about how the virus is spreading.

For example, if the current 'official case figure' for the region is 8% and the antibody test shows up as 50%. This would indicate that a large part of the community had already contracted the virus (mild or no symptoms) and that the community was heading towards herd immunity.

Alternatively, if the antibodies only showed up in 15% it would indicate that the virus is not spreading as fast as anticipated.

This would then enable the government to build up a picture from which to implement policy.
This user liked this post: CombatClaret

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:37 pm

Much higher percentage of people infected in Bergamo than is being found in most places. Antibody tests are suggesting 57% have been infected which, theoretically, is around the herd immunity level. That came with a fatality rate of something like 3.5% though which is obviously very high.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:43 pm

aggi wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:37 pm
Much higher percentage of people infected in Bergamo than is being found in most places. Antibody tests are suggesting 57% have been infected which, theoretically, is around the herd immunity level. That came with a fatality rate of something like 3.5% though which is obviously very high.
If we had such data from our 'hot spot areas' we could perhaps work out how the virus is spreading.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:28 pm

Why Herd Immunity might not be a good thing
Early on in the pandemic, one of the UK scientists said that restricting the spread of the virus is not desirable at this time. It looked like the UK was going for 'Herd Immunity'.

I am listening to Chris Martenson's latest broadcast in which he is arguing that it is not a good thing to have had the virus - even if recovered and developed antibodies. He talks about the 'long term health implications' and other unknowns. He argues that it's just better not to catch it at all if you can avoid it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjyNw8qgkaw

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 46671.html
  • We don't know yet if it can be caught a second time.
  • If you can catch it again is the second time worst due to the antibody dependent enhancement?
  • We don't yet know whether the virus could become latent in the body at the time of recovery and then come back as something worst later in life E.G. Shingles after chickenpox.
  • It has become known that the virus can affect the lungs, nose, liver, kidney, blood vesseles, brain, eyes, heart, kidneys and intestines.
  • A number of people have not regained their 'sense of smell'.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:29 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:50 am
Antibodies can only be tested for 2 weeks after infection so they are not a usefully tool for tracking and containing current outbreaks which is the aim of T&T. I've not read any evidence that antibody tests will play any part in current T&T plans.
I'm amazed though there is not larger effort being put in to provide the public with antibody tests or at least a larger study to gain more data based on sampling.

I ordered a private antibody test performed by one of the two labs testing NHS antibody tests (Abbot & Roche) but the governments had banned them from carrying them out due to unexplained accuracy concerns over capillary blood. Both labs say there is no evidence that taking from blood from capillaries (finger prick) rather than a vein effects results by any statistical measure.
I think it's another case of the government trying to keep everything in house. I also think they're trying to manage optics, as it will be seen as a class thing that people with £75 to spare can get a test while people who don't will have to wait. And with NHS staff only just stating to have them imagine how long it will take to be able to offer it to the entire population, if ever.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:25 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:29 pm
Antibodies can only be tested for 2 weeks after infection so they are not a usefully tool for tracking and containing current outbreaks which is the aim of T&T. I've not read any evidence that antibody tests will play any part in current T&T plans.
I'm amazed though there is not larger effort being put in to provide the public with antibody tests or at least a larger study to gain more data based on sampling.

I ordered a private antibody test performed by one of the two labs testing NHS antibody tests (Abbot & Roche) but the governments had banned them from carrying them out due to unexplained accuracy concerns over capillary blood. Both labs say there is no evidence that taking from blood from capillaries (finger prick) rather than a vein effects results by any statistical measure.
I think it's another case of the government trying to keep everything in house. I also think they're trying to manage optics, as it will be seen as a class thing that people with £75 to spare can get a test while people who don't will have to wait. And with NHS staff only just stating to have them imagine how long it will take to be able to offer it to the entire population, if ever.
We will probably have a vaccine (private sector) before the government get their act together with their centralised public test & trace, regional lockdown and antibody testing.

It's scandalous that you couldn't purchase the antibody test. Maybe it's worth dropping a letter to your MP.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:48 pm

Texas reports two consecutive days of record coronavirus hospitalizations weeks after reopening
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/09/texas-r ... ening.html

Texas lockdown ended on 30th April. Business reopened on 1st May (five and a half weeks ago). COVID-19 cases have started to increase again to above their levels from before the lockdown.
Texas has reported two consecutive days of record-breaking Covid-19 hospitalizations as the state continues to open businesses and resume activities that were temporarily shuttered due to the coronavirus.
"Texas opened hair salons on May 8 under certain restrictions, such as maintaining six feet of distance between beauty stations. Gyms and exercise facilities, nonessential manufacturing plants and office buildings could reopen with 25% capacity and other social-distancing guidelines on May 18.

The state later allowed bars to reopen at 25% capacity and restaurants at 50% capacity. Infectious disease and public health experts warn that indoor settings where people may not be wearing a face covering and the air circulates less could increase the risk of the virus spreading".

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:55 pm

First I've heard of a Japan vaccine. First half of next year is also encouraging.
I still remain optimistic that there will be a vaccine towards the end of this year or early next year.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:00 pm

Let's hope this profs correct.

UK could see a day with zero coronavirus deaths within three weeks
"By the end of the month we could be in a position where we are observing no deaths."

The number of deaths each day from coronavirus in the UK could drop to zero with three weeks, according to a professor from Oxford University.

Professor Carl Heneghan has based his forecast on current trends, with falling 999 and 111 calls.

He told the Times: “The trend in the data is looking reassuring and there’s no reason it shouldn’t continue. By the end of the month we could be in a position where we are observing no deaths.”

He added: “Community transmission is low, admissions to hospitals are very low.

"We’ve been opening up society and it is reassuring that we’re going in the right direction. If we stay vigilant we should be able to continue opening up society... We’re seeing it across Europe — no bounce-back.”

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:02 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:29 pm

This is a statement from Abbott, manufacturer of one the antibody tests. https://www.abbott.co.uk/media-center/n ... -kits.html It looks like they're not keen on it being used for home testing. I suspect a substantial amount of extra testing may be required in order to see what difference the different method of blood extraction makes (if any).

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:03 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:00 pm
Let's hope this profs correct.

UK could see a day with zero coronavirus deaths within three weeks
"By the end of the month we could be in a position where we are observing no deaths."

The number of deaths each day from coronavirus in the UK could drop to zero with three weeks, according to a professor from Oxford University.

Professor Carl Heneghan has based his forecast on current trends, with falling 999 and 111 calls.

He told the Times: “The trend in the data is looking reassuring and there’s no reason it shouldn’t continue. By the end of the month we could be in a position where we are observing no deaths.”

He added: “Community transmission is low, admissions to hospitals are very low.

"We’ve been opening up society and it is reassuring that we’re going in the right direction. If we stay vigilant we should be able to continue opening up society... We’re seeing it across Europe — no bounce-back.”
Hope so. No resurgence in Europe so far.

The only two resurgences that I have heard about so far is the one that I posted a couple of posts back from Texas and also Iran. Both of these were amongst the first to release the lockdown.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... nfections

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3341 times
Has Liked: 1961 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Quite alarming evidence from Prof Ferguson this afternoon.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:22 pm

See this is precisely why protesting shouldn't be allowed during this pandemic, This is the result of reckless actions.

DC National Guards test positive for Covid after protests

Several members of the Washington, DC National Guard have tested positive for Covid-19 after being deployed to the Black Lives Matter protests sparked by the death of George Floyd, the military says.

The National Guard says it will not disclose the number of guardsmen infected due to "operational security".

The members were among the 1,300 troops sent to the US capital during mass demonstrations that began last weekend. They were joined by almost 4,000 additional National Guard troops from other states.

Meanwhile members of the White House coronavirus task force say they fear a spike in cases linked to nationwide civil unrest triggered by Floyd's death. Dr Deborah Birx advised state governors to ensure Covid tests are available in urban areas after 70 testing sites were destroyed in protests, US media report.

Bonkers that they destroyed testing sites FGS, shows how dumb these dim asses are.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:33 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:22 pm
See this is precisely why protesting shouldn't be allowed during this pandemic, This is the result of reckless actions.

DC National Guards test positive for Covid after protests

Several members of the Washington, DC National Guard have tested positive for Covid-19 after being deployed to the Black Lives Matter protests sparked by the death of George Floyd, the military says.

The National Guard says it will not disclose the number of guardsmen infected due to "operational security".

The members were among the 1,300 troops sent to the US capital during mass demonstrations that began last weekend. They were joined by almost 4,000 additional National Guard troops from other states.

Meanwhile members of the White House coronavirus task force say they fear a spike in cases linked to nationwide civil unrest triggered by Floyd's death. Dr Deborah Birx advised state governors to ensure Covid tests are available in urban areas after 70 testing sites were destroyed in protests, US media report.

Bonkers that they destroyed testing sites FGS, shows how dumb these dim asses are.
The Hong Kong protests soon ended (albeit temporary) when it was known that a pandemic was on the way. I don't think that many of us in the 'West' get it.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:36 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:05 pm
I assume you're referring to the lockdown being brought in late, i don't disagree, and this will be a major part of any future inquiry.

Of course all the government supporters will no doubt claim it's easy to criticise with the benefit of hindsight, but i'm sure that people were calling for lockdown measures to be introduced earlier than they ultimately were.

This item's linked.

Coronavirus came to UK 'at least 1,300 times'

Coronavirus was brought into the UK on at least 1,300 occasions, a major analysis of the genetics of the virus shows.

The study, by the Covid-19 Genomics UK consortium, quashes the idea that a single "patient zero" started the whole UK outbreak.

The analysis also finds China, where the pandemic started, had a negligible impact on cases in the UK and instead most cases came in from European countries.

The researchers analysed the genetic code of viral samples taken from more than 20,000 people infected with coronavirus in the UK.

We should have shut our borders ASAP as other countries did, and stopped the outbreak at source.

Any Britons abroad at that time could have been returned and then quarantined, these measures weren't rocket science, and yet our government faffed about chasing a herd immunity strategy, and the results are clear for all to see.

Not only do we have the worst, or one of the worst death tolls in Europe, we're also facing a bigger hit to our economy then every other European nation.

Great job Cummings and Johnson.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:47 pm

Good news to report. I enjoy posting good news.

No new coronavirus deaths in NI for fourth day in a row
Northern Ireland's Department of Health has reported no further deaths of people with coronavirus for a fourth day in a row.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:58 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:33 pm
The Hong Kong protests soon ended (albeit temporary) when it was known that a pandemic was on the way. I don't think that many of us in the 'West' get it.
Maybe we should pay more attention to the medical staff. This is a sobering account of their day to day life.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52985781

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:51 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Unforgivable the time we wasted when we had the evidence and the advise, tens of thousands of deaths at the hands of the government.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:20 pm

Recorded New Cases down to 1,003 today.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:21 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:51 pm
Unforgivable the time we wasted when we had the evidence and the advise, tens of thousands of deaths at the hands of the government.
But CC you should know by now that we can't criticise the government, until we have all the the available facts to hand.

How many excess deaths it takes before the message drops that we've handled this pandemic badly from all angles IDK.

You know. i know, everybody knows why we pontificated in the early weeks, we were following the strategy of the messiah Dominic Mckenzie Cummings, and all his scientific know how.

How many deaths could have been prevented it's impossible to be certain, but you probably won't be far out with your tens of thousands figure.

Claretincraven
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Claretincraven » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:22 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Professor Ferguson was a Government Adviser at the time we went into Lockdown. Perhaps hexwould have been better giving the advice then, rather than with perfect hindsight giving it now.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:25 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Did he say what his advice was at the time, being a member of sage?

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:28 pm

Claretincraven wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:22 pm
Professor Ferguson was a Government Adviser at the time we went into Lockdown. Perhaps hexwould have been better giving the advice then, rather than with perfect hindsight giving it now.
How do you know he didn't give the advice then, scientists don't male the political calls, that's down to the ministers.

Scientists can advice and recommend, but the final call is down to the government of the day.

Quite why Ferguson's getting so much air time is baffling, he hardly emerges from this episode with his reputation enhanced.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:33 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:28 pm
How do you know he didn't give the advice then, scientists don't male the political calls, that's down to the ministers.

Scientists can advice and recommend, but the final call is down to the government of the day.

Quite why Ferguson's getting so much air time is baffling, he hardly emerges from this episode with his reputation enhanced.
I’m fairly certain he’s the chap who broke the lockdown rules by getting his mistress to visit - if he is, his words now will appear as a bitter attack on the government how ever accurate they may be.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:41 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:33 pm
I’m fairly certain he’s the chap who broke the lockdown rules by getting his mistress to visit - if he is, his words now will appear as a bitter attack on the government how ever accurate they may be.
If he was a member of SAGE, which i'm pretty sure he was, then his words should be recorded, if that's the case he'd be daft to fabricate statements to the media.

Mind you he did breach the lockdown rules, for a bit of how's your father with his mistress, so maybe he's not the sharpest tool in the box.

chadders
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by chadders » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:48 pm

tbf it didn't need much hindsight to see how potetially devastating it could/would be - we just had to see what was happening in Italy etc. Scientists across the globe were raising the alarm early. By many accounts he is an extremely hard working and respected scientist-obvioulsy dropped one by seeing his mistress.

Good news if those numbers keep heading in the right direction. keep posting that good news tiger!

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:55 pm

10June covid.JPG
10June covid.JPG (52.84 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
7 day rolling average at 200 which is the lowest since March 29th. Fairly solid downward ramp in deaths and new cases (despite massively increased levels of testing) have the lowest 7 day average since March 27th. The guy from Oxford University mentioned a few posts ago stated in April that his team's projections suggested that the UK would be able to stop separate data recording and reporting of Covid19 deaths in mid to late July. His projections from that time are still almost exactly matched by reality!

Claretincraven
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Claretincraven » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:56 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:28 pm

I think we can be fairly certain he didn't give the advice at the time. Given his pronouncement today if he had he would be very quick to tell anyone that would listen.
What we currently have with the BBC is an organisation that will publish the opinion of anyone with the right qualifications that criticises the Government. In Ferguson however, as you say, they have picked someone with little credibility.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:04 pm

I think the bigger story will be Steven Riley's SPI-M lockdown paper on the 9th of March which as part of the govts own scientific advisory committee called for them to go in to lockdown a full 2 weeks before they did warning the mitigation strategy they were following at the time could lead to 1.7m deaths

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:05 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:25 pm
Did he say what his advice was at the time, being a member of sage?
He predicted half a million deaths if the UK persued an 'herd immunity policy'.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... -lockdown/

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:30 pm

Public health expert Professor John Ashton told James O'Brien in March that the government's coronavirus response was "appalling" and returned to LBC to reflect on the months following.
https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ ... fe-instea/

"Professor Ashton branded February as a "lost month" for the UK where no action was taken....The bottom line is we shouldn't be easing up until we've got the testing tracing and isolating properly secured and we still haven't," he responded, "these are all things that we really should have got bottomed before we move to any easing off. And I would say that's at the end of June before we should have done that."

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:41 pm

I think that the government are likely to save face if one, or both, of two things happen:
  • The virus transmutes into something less deadly and allows us to get back to our lives.
  • The Oxford/AstraZenica vaccine proves a winner and is available in large doses in the early Autumn.
We should have an idea of both of these by the end of next month. Results should be in for the vaccine that show whether it's likely to be successful, safe and available by the Autumn. If the cases don't flare up again following the protests, raves, seaside visits and release from the lockdown then it will look like it's fizzling out and the Governments current policies will be vindicated.

Whatever happens, I think that they will have a rough ride to the next election with the economic fallout from the pandemic.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:20 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:05 pm
He predicted half a million deaths if the UK persued an 'herd immunity policy'.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... -lockdown/
Two weeks after lockdown he was saying that SAGE were hoping to keep the number of fatalities below 20 thousand. The following is a short video interview
https://www.express.co.uk/videos/614719 ... death-toll

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1650 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:30 am

I would agree with Undersiege above. Any government in a pandemic would struggle to survive afterwards, and I suspect the economic damage will be the problem, damage that would have been lessened if SAGE had advised early in March to immediately implement a semi-lockdown (shutting pubs, work from home if possible, sensible social distancing - a bit like Hong Kong did).

The problem was that SAGE underestimated the volume of virus in the country (Ferguson admitted that yesterday) because loads had some in from ski resorts and spread all over the UK. They also underestimated the rate of transmission (doubling every 3-4 days not every 5-6 days). Finally, they underestimated severity - they thought that if they had enough ICU bed and ventilator capacity, most people using them would survive, it turns out not to have been the case.

Then you get the error that was NHS England writing to the care sector in mid March to ask them to take as many patients as possible so beds could be freed up.

The virus then became so prevalent that a total lengthy lockdown (which otherwise wouldn’t have been needed) was needed to suppress it.

None of those errors could be laid at the governments door (though they have made many more), and thus I suspect that the public sector scientists and chief medics will be the ones culpable in this. The reasons being a culture of being very brainy but slow to act, not very dynamic, too controlling (e.g. not expanding testing to private sector at an early stage) and too much done by committee. Something that in my career I’ve been frustrated with for 30 years.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:56 am

LBC's Nick Ferrari program this morning featured Denmark. They have done very well at controlling the pandemic. He interviewed a professor from Hong Kong who said that in both Denmark and Hong Kong their success has been due to effective 'track and trace systems' that have enabled them to quickly jump on any flare ups.

"The Danish government said it would allow the reopening of museums, cinemas, zoos and colleges from 1 June, and that a further easing of measures was expected in early August, which would include gyms, swimming pools and nightclubs".
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 54816.html

"The semi-autonomous city took the route that the World Health Organization recommends and embarked on a rigorous programme of testing everyone with symptoms. Those who tested positive were quarantined in hospital. All their contacts over recent days were traced and instructed to self-isolate".

"The UK and other European countries also implemented testing and contact tracing in the early weeks of their own epidemic. But as the numbers grew, testing and tracing was abandoned in favour of strict lockdown measures to keep people in their homes and prevent them mixing.

But Hong Kong has not had that sort of lockdown. Although people were not required to stay at home, they chose to change their behaviour, says the paper in the Lancet Public Health journal.

In a survey in March, 85% of respondents reported avoiding crowded places, and 99% reported wearing face masks when leaving home, which the authors say is an indication of their concern".
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-lockdown

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:30 am
I would agree with Undersiege above. Any government in a pandemic would struggle to survive afterwards, and I suspect the economic damage will be the problem, damage that would have been lessened if SAGE had advised early in March to immediately implement a semi-lockdown (shutting pubs, work from home if possible, sensible social distancing - a bit like Hong Kong did).

The problem was that SAGE underestimated the volume of virus in the country (Ferguson admitted that yesterday) because loads had some in from ski resorts and spread all over the UK. They also underestimated the rate of transmission (doubling every 3-4 days not every 5-6 days). Finally, they underestimated severity - they thought that if they had enough ICU bed and ventilator capacity, most people using them would survive, it turns out not to have been the case.

Then you get the error that was NHS England writing to the care sector in mid March to ask them to take as many patients as possible so beds could be freed up.

The virus then became so prevalent that a total lengthy lockdown (which otherwise wouldn’t have been needed) was needed to suppress it.

None of those errors could be laid at the governments door (though they have made many more), and thus I suspect that the public sector scientists and chief medics will be the ones culpable in this. The reasons being a culture of being very brainy but slow to act, not very dynamic, too controlling (e.g. not expanding testing to private sector at an early stage) and too much done by committee. Something that in my career I’ve been frustrated with for 30 years.
I agree. The Private Sector could have been much more involved. You would have thought that the economy still has enough manufacturing capability to produce PPI - which are just bits of plastics and plastic garments.

Endless bureaucracy and committee meetings was not required. The shutting down of Private Health Care and emptying NHS beds of patients with serious health needs was also a mistake.

I also wonder who is developing the App for contact tracing. Is this some sort of public sector effort? Why couldn't we just have used the software from another country and adapted it to our purposes or get the private sector to create an app? Perhaps that too is subject to endless meetings and controls and various checks and sign offs by anyone and everyone who thinks his or her job is to 'block progress' and 'stop things from happening'.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 am
I also wonder who is developing the App for contact tracing. Is this some sort of public sector effort? Why couldn't we just have used the software from another country and adapted it to our purposes or get the private sector to create an app? Perhaps that too is subject to endless meetings and controls and various checks and sign offs by anyone and everyone who thinks his or her job is to 'block progress' and 'stop things from happening'.
Its the private sector and more specifically the contracts have gone to Dominic Cummings friends and family. We could have just used an existing app but then the friends of the Tory's wouldn't have made millions and they wouldn't have been able to harvest our data
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:27 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am
Its the private sector and more specifically the contracts have gone to Dominic Cummings friends and family. We could have just used an existing app but then the friends of the Tory's wouldn't have made millions and they wouldn't have been able to harvest our data

Genuine question DA. Is that actually true? I've brought it up with people in conversation and they've dimissed it as a twitter rumour.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:31 am

Caballo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:27 am
Genuine question DA. Is that actually true? I've brought it up with people in conversation and they've dimissed it as a twitter rumour.
My moneys on it being wrong, not based on anything though.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:35 am

Caballo wrote:
The development will be being led by NHSX, the NHS’s IT arm, but they are working with private companies. Don’t know if they’re linked to Cummings though.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:57 am

Caballo wrote:
Yes, im on my work laptop so cant access the info about it all. One person is the brother of they guy who was part of the Cumming SAGE scandal and his mother is some kind of senior role (possible director) of one of the businesses awarded some of the contract

Will dig it out when i've got time later. Beats talking about statues any day of the week!!

Just to add it runs a lot deeper than just this tracing app as its all interlinked with a lot other govt data contracts that avoided the normal routes to tender

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:35 pm

The app's going well then :roll: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52995881

What words did the PM use, world-beating i believe, well i'd hardly describe our system as world-beating up to now.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:44 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:35 am
The development will be being led by NHSX, the NHS’s IT arm, but they are working with private companies. Don’t know if they’re linked to Cummings though.
This is correct. It is an NHS team (NHSX) that is building it in house according to the FT.
https://www.ft.com/content/446df516-4ec ... 89ea5f6f0b

It looks like it will be scrapping the first one that was tested on the Isle of Wight. It has started to develop a second one that is based on technology provided by Google and Apple. The first one ran into technical and ethical issues and is possibly in breach of Data Protection rules.

"With growing questions over that approach, it emerged that the Swiss-based consultancy Zühlke Engineering has been hired to undertake a two-week “technical spike” to investigate implementing Apple and Google’s system “within the existing proximity mobile application and platform”"https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ogle-model.

The first NHS App is apparently not compatible with IPhones which around 50% of UK smart phone users use. It also takes a lot of battery power on other phones. When tested on the Isle of Wight the app created a lot of 'false alerts' and was difficult to download.

There are also 'data protection difficulties' with the NHS app. It downloads all the data into a central database. There is a loophole in this which would enable local authorities to access detailed data about individuals once the pandemic is over.

"After repeated warnings that the UK will be an outlier if it insists on using its own centralised app rather than relying on Google and Apple’s technology, rights groups and MPs said on Thursday that the lack of privacy and data protections could mean that the app would be illegal". https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ogle-model

“The alternative to working with [Google and Apple] is to create a system that doesn’t work on iPhones, that leads to centralized databases that destroy trust, and that doesn’t work across borders and so won’t help open up international travel,” says Veale. “This is the British problem.” https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/5/21248 ... ple-google

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:52 pm

Trying to find some good news.

Thailand says it had no new virus infections or deaths over the past day - the first time in almost three weeks there were no new cases.

It's also been 17 days since a local transmission was recorded. All other recent cases had been imported by people returning from abroad.

The country's total stands at 3,125 confirmed infections, while 58 deaths have been linked to Covid-19.

New Zealand goes 20 days with no new cases

New Zealand has now gone 20 days with no new virus cases, even after the country lifted almost all of its restrictions.

The country is at Level 1, which allows all schools and workplaces to open. Weddings, funerals and public transport can resume without any restrictions. Social distancing is no longer required but is encouraged.

And following the recovery of an Auckland woman on Monday, the country has no known active cases of Covid-19.

New Zealand has recorded 1,154 confirmed cases and 22 deaths from Covid-19 since the virus arrived in late February.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Interestingly recent stats re Lancs. Only 3 new cases in Burnley in the last 2 weeks. East Lancashire generally good news. Well done everyone.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire- ... n=sharebar

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:02 pm

Also very few deaths at ELHCT hospitals in tge same period I think.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:21 pm

"Israeli scientists are on the cusp of developing the first vaccine against the novel coronavirus, according to Science and Technology Minister Ofir Akunis. If all goes as planned, the vaccine could be ready within a few weeks and available in 90 days". https://itrade.gov.il/ukraine/?p=2215