Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Re: Covid-19

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:38 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:07 pm
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/moderna-picks ... 38593.html
I think the world's governments are confident of a vaccine before winter hence the easing.
You could be spot on there.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:59 pm

It looks like it is effecting the US more than Europe at the moment. It would be best for you to avoid social interaction as much as possible over there in Texas and make use of a face covering. Stay safe.

Chris Martenson's broadcast on Tuesday covered Texas. It was a bit of a depressing video since he talked about a 'D614G mutation that is more infectious. However, in yesterdays video he was saying that many of the hot spots in the US are possibly going to hit 'herd immunity' soon and that the worst may be over.
Many US states are still in their first waves, especially those in the South and West seeing re-surging infections. The battle there remains focused on preventing things from getting out of control and overwhelming the medical system.

But it's possible that previously hard hit areas like New York, Italy and Spain may now have sufficient immunity to avoid a second wave. It's too soon to know for certain, but if true, this will be very welcome news.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B-rk5VUcLo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAoJnu7-sw

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:35 pm

We had an interesting experience this week with and interaction with our GP. Mrs Zlatan called up for an issue with a pulled muscle in her neck (she is a site agent for a school, and does physical graft), it wasn't easing as much as it should have so she called the GP for an appointment. Our GP insisted that she needed a Covid-19 test, despite protestations from Mrs Zlatan that none of us had any symptoms.

The GP's response "well you're asymptomatic so you may have it and we need you to do a test"

I thought I'd play along, and called up because 'my knee was aching' (which is does from time to time since surgery) and low and behold, the same GP advised a Covid-19 test because I may be asymptomatic!

Neither of our issues were anything whatsoever to do with Covid-19 or the symptoms, yet we have been instructed to take a test. Is this going to be the 'Norm' now for calls to your GP?

Anyway, we have done the tests as instructed by our GP (the whole household) and it will be interesting to see if any of us come back positive - especially our sons as whilst we tried to swab him he was not complying much so if his is positive there's certainly something dodgy about the testing.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:08 pm

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:12 pm

KateR wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:08 pm
seems good news to me:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53192532
Ive avoided this thread since March But yes thats positive. Because its not just the numbers dropping, its the percentages.

Hoping things continue to improve despite recent mass gatherings and the like.

Also with improved testing, more awareness, more research, more hospitals, new treatments etc etc We should be able to ease off a little.

There is more and more evidence as well that MOST of us will be just fine...
This user liked this post: KateR

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:47 pm

The virus clearly isn't as potent as it was.

Restrictions have been relaxed, social distancing is largely ignored and there have been numerous mass gatherings yet the death rates and number of positive tests is falling.

The 3 months Boris claimed we needed to get on top of it seems about right.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:09 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:47 pm
The virus clearly isn't as potent as it was.

Restrictions have been relaxed, social distancing is largely ignored and there have been numerous mass gatherings yet the death rates and number of positive tests is falling.

The 3 months Boris claimed we needed to get on top of it seems about right.
Attachments
8785F726-F6C5-4E9C-B7CF-B4221C389B00.jpeg
8785F726-F6C5-4E9C-B7CF-B4221C389B00.jpeg (516.65 KiB) Viewed 3769 times

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:34 pm
Barnoldswick don’t do maintenance so it’s not quite as you say. Barlick manufacture new parts.
You are correct RR is paid by hours flown. Last presentation I saw, flying hours were down 88%. The 12% of hours flown airlines were refusing to pay as they could not afford it. So money coming in is Nil, Zero, Nada, **** all.
Hence 30% of the work force have to go now!
:It was going down before all this virus. But now the big money maker for Rolls A380, and A350 are being retired. Rolls have no new engine in line at moment either. Airbus asked Rolls for a engine for there new plane and Rolls said no (very strange) But Rolls are getting alot of military work so wonder if they slowly closing down airline engine side. The work at Barnoldswick can easily be taken and done at Singapore now

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:50 pm
:It was going down before all this virus. But now the big money maker for Rolls A380, and A350 are being retired. Rolls have no new engine in line at moment either. Airbus asked Rolls for a engine for there new plane and Rolls said no (very strange) But Rolls are getting alot of military work so wonder if they slowly closing down airline engine side. The work at Barnoldswick can easily be taken and done at Singapore now
I am not exactly sure where your getting your information but some of it is incorrect.
Firstly the load for Fan Blades could probably be done by either Factory, Barlick or Singapore. However if the load comes back quickly neither plant could cope.
The big money maker is the Trent 700, Trent 700 revenue has been propping up RR for the last 5-10 years.
RR lose money on a new engine, total care is where it makes money, unfortunately the T900 turbine issues have meant the T900 makes RR nothing. I had just finished working a mod that improved the T900. But retirement of A380’s as you say will probably mean RR make no money from the T900.
The A350 is a new aircraft and the XWB that powers it is a great engine that’s really reliable, but RR were delivering several hundred XWB engines a year, so that was a massive cost to the company due to selling at a loss.
Military work was less than 3-4% of Barlick output.
There is no way it’s pulling out of the civil engine market.

The Trent 1000 was a basket case of an engine. However 11 of the 13 problem components have now been redesigned and fixed, but the damage has been done to engine sales.

The only way RR can get money coming in is to get planes back in the air that are on total are packages.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:16 pm

Claims that the virus is weakening all come from the same Italian doctor - Professor Bassetti. This is a story that was originally published by Reuters on 31st May. I am waiting to hear other doctors/scientists publish the same findings. I am hoping that it's correct and cannot think why Professor Bassetti would make such claims if it wasn't.

I have just undertaken a google search to try to find out if other doctors have found the same 'reduction in the viral load' but can find nothing. Not sure what is going on with this. You would think that Public Health England (and equivalent organisations in other countries) would be undertaking the same kind of tests on the viral load because if the virus is weakening in such a way it could be the end of the pandemic.

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:55 pm

In terms of it weakening here in Texas it clearly is not< today's news:

AUSTIN, Texas (KTRK) -- Bars across the state will have to close their doors again after an order was issued by Gov. Greg Abbott as Texas COVID-19 cases continue to rise.

The order issued Friday states that bars and similar businesses that receive more than 51% of their gross revenue from alcoholic beverage sales are ordered closed at noon Friday. While customers won't be allowed to visit, those businesses can provide delivery and take-out services, which include beverage sales.

The threat level has been put back up, mandatory masks when outside or in stores and this is all because hospitals have had a lot more cases and ICU's are getting close to being full in numerous one. While the law affects the whole of Texas numerous places have little to no issues but Houston and specifically Harris County where I am has a problem in the number of new patients being admitted.

It's an ignore at your peril I think.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:31 pm

I haven''t posted for a while on here, but promising signs north of the borderhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53195166

And quarantine being relaxed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53199089

There does appear to be a more upbeat mood this week, but we don't want to become over complacent, and risk this virus rearing it's head again.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:07 am

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:31 pm
I haven''t posted for a while on here, but promising signs north of the borderhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53195166

And quarantine being relaxed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53199089

There does appear to be a more upbeat mood this week, but we don't want to become over complacent, and risk this virus rearing it's head again.
If you think of the progress made since lockdown, we have to hope for similar if not more progress in the next three months.

Tbh it’s gone reasonably quickly. I suspect the great weather has helped. It would’ve been gloomy in winter.

But let’s hope the signs in Scotland are good. I’ll be glad when normality resumes.

The reality is the stats are in our favour. Just need to keep the discipline a bit longer.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:30 am

KateR wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:55 pm
In terms of it weakening here in Texas it clearly is not< today's news:

AUSTIN, Texas (KTRK) -- Bars across the state will have to close their doors again after an order was issued by Gov. Greg Abbott as Texas COVID-19 cases continue to rise.

The order issued Friday states that bars and similar businesses that receive more than 51% of their gross revenue from alcoholic beverage sales are ordered closed at noon Friday. While customers won't be allowed to visit, those businesses can provide delivery and take-out services, which include beverage sales.

The threat level has been put back up, mandatory masks when outside or in stores and this is all because hospitals have had a lot more cases and ICU's are getting close to being full in numerous one. While the law affects the whole of Texas numerous places have little to no issues but Houston and specifically Harris County where I am has a problem in the number of new patients being admitted.

It's an ignore at your peril I think.
If I am right gradual release from lockdown in Texas began at the start of May (roughly eight weeks ago).

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:33 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:07 am
If you think of the progress made since lockdown, we have to hope for similar if not more progress in the next three months.

Tbh it’s gone reasonably quickly. I suspect the great weather has helped. It would’ve been gloomy in winter.

But let’s hope the signs in Scotland are good. I’ll be glad when normality resumes.

The reality is the stats are in our favour. Just need to keep the discipline a bit longer.
Scotland are releasing from lockdown more slowly than England. Also I have heard very little about mass gatherings in Scotland of the type that have been occurring in England. I wonder.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:36 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:33 am
Scotland are releasing from lockdown more slowly than England. Also I have heard very little about mass gatherings in Scotland of the type that have been occurring in England. I wonder.
Parks and beaches near Glasgow and Edinburgh have had the same problems as England

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:49 am

Scotland has a fraction of England's population and an area almost as large to herd the proles into.

Its percentage of emptyheads, goons and general dicks is exactly the same as ours.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:35 am

Queensland authorities have allowed 10,000 fans into watch Brisbane Broncos this morning, which is a 25% of the stadiums capacity. A good sign for the future if it goes well.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:04 am

Grumps wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:36 am
Parks and beaches near Glasgow and Edinburgh have had the same problems as England
There were some 'planned mass gatherings' in mid May. https://news.stv.tv/scotland/planned-ma ... ckdown?top

Also some in parks near Glasgow which the police swiftly broke up. "Officers confiscated booze, checked IDs and broke up large groups of boozy punters ignoring the lockdown rules". https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... s-22252978

There have also been some protests but nothing like the English ones. Protesters look to be socially distancing and then some. Most of them wearing face masks. h[url]ttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52949904[/url]

I think that the police and government have been a lot stricter in Scotland.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:06 am

Winstonswhite wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:35 am
Queensland authorities have allowed 10,000 fans into watch Brisbane Broncos this morning, which is a 25% of the stadiums capacity. A good sign for the future if it goes well.
Yes. They have had a 'containment strategy' from the outset. It is now paying dividends. The UK still hasn't managed to put a coherent strategy in place.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:08 am

fatboy47 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:49 am
Scotland has a fraction of England's population and an area almost as large to herd the proles into.

Its percentage of emptyheads, goons and general dicks is exactly the same as ours.
Scotlands 'cultural capital' is more suited to fighting the pandemic than England's. Most of the population live in cities and big towns.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:34 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:04 am
There were some 'planned mass gatherings' in mid May. https://news.stv.tv/scotland/planned-ma ... ckdown?top

Also some in parks near Glasgow which the police swiftly broke up. "Officers confiscated booze, checked IDs and broke up large groups of boozy punters ignoring the lockdown rules". https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... s-22252978

There have also been some protests but nothing like the English ones. Protesters look to be socially distancing and then some. Most of them wearing face masks. h[url]ttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52949904[/url]

I think that the police and government have been a lot stricter in Scotland.
The meadows in Edinburgh has problems most days

The seaside resorts also have daily problems, obviously the numbers are not the size as those near big cities in England, but probably around the same percentage of the population

Inchy
Been Liked: 1334 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Inchy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:56 am

From what I have experienced as a Critical Care Nurse it was really busy for a month. Every patient a saw was unwell with covid. It wasn’t quite a tidal wave but wasn’t far off. ICU was filling up fast but never breaking point.

Since May it’s been quiet. I’ve not seen many Covid patients and I haven’t seen the usual volume of other illnesses because elective surgery has been halted (although that’s picking up again) and because people
have stayed at home out of fear of getting covid when they should have come in.

It is getting busier now and on a few occasions I’ve seen patients who are beyond treatment because they have been deteriorating at home for the past 4 months. If they came in 4 months ago treatment may have helped. It is very sad to see that.

It’s not busy though. Not even at normal levels of busy. That seems to be the case across the hospital, however certain areas, like oncology, are ramping up treatment as patients cannot have any more delays.

It was strange being clapped for doing less work than normal.
These 2 users liked this post: CleggHall KateR

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:00 am

Grumps wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:34 am
The meadows in Edinburgh has problems most days

The seaside resorts also have daily problems, obviously the numbers are not the size as those near big cities in England, but probably around the same percentage of the population
The Meadows looks bad but very recent. No masks, lots of litter and people in close proximity to one another. https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... ng-2896749

Some very bad mass gatherings at seaside resorts (a month ago). https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52754039

I'm not sure what's going on in all this. Either the virus is weakening and/or the immunity of the population is more resistant than was first thought or we are in the 'eye of the storm' awaiting a 'Texas like second spike and lockdown' (See KateR's post - a few posts ago).

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:16 am

Inchy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:56 am
From what I have experienced as a Critical Care Nurse it was really busy for a month. Every patient a saw was unwell with covid. It wasn’t quite a tidal wave but wasn’t far off. ICU was filling up fast but never breaking point.

Since May it’s been quiet. I’ve not seen many Covid patients and I haven’t seen the usual volume of other illnesses because elective surgery has been halted (although that’s picking up again) and because people
have stayed at home out of fear of getting covid when they should have come in.

It is getting busier now and on a few occasions I’ve seen patients who are beyond treatment because they have been deteriorating at home for the past 4 months. If they came in 4 months ago treatment may have helped. It is very sad to see that.

It’s not busy though. Not even at normal levels of busy. That seems to be the case across the hospital, however certain areas, like oncology, are ramping up treatment as patients cannot have any more delays.

It was strange being clapped for doing less work than normal.
Towards the end of the 'busy month' did patient's symptoms start to be less severe as though the virus was weakening? Also, do you think that improving treatment, as experience was gained, helped to pull patients through to recovery better?

Do you think that a number of recovered patients will still have ongoing problems with there health as a result of COVID?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:39 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:57 pm
I am not exactly sure where your getting your information but some of it is incorrect.
Firstly the load for Fan Blades could probably be done by either Factory, Barlick or Singapore. However if the load comes back quickly neither plant could cope.
The big money maker is the Trent 700, Trent 700 revenue has been propping up RR for the last 5-10 years.
RR lose money on a new engine, total care is where it makes money, unfortunately the T900 turbine issues have meant the T900 makes RR nothing. I had just finished working a mod that improved the T900. But retirement of A380’s as you say will probably mean RR make no money from the T900.
The A350 is a new aircraft and the XWB that powers it is a great engine that’s really reliable, but RR were delivering several hundred XWB engines a year, so that was a massive cost to the company due to selling at a loss.

The Trent 1000 was a basket case of an engine. However 11 of the 13 problem components have now been redesigned and fixed, but the damage has been done to engine sales.

The only way RR can get money coming in is to get planes back in the air that are on total are packages.
Trent 700 no longer made, they do the odd and I mean odd 700 blade for spares. T900 dead, they make none of them. Trent 1000 Singapore made (they do odd few again odd few) xwb 97k and mk2 blades plus military are what they make most of at Barlick. They are made for the A380 and that has gone. Why are Rolls trying to make redundancies packages alot less. Order books down big time, Rolls was letting people go before virus, virus has retired big planes, Rolls have no small plane engine, only odd few still running but they don't make new engines just odd spare blade.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:59 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Singapore wasn't allowed to do military blades at 1st but now they got licence to. Rolls will still be in barlick but will be skeleton crew. Look at Airbus, they are getting rid of alot of workers. Airbus is Rolls main engine buyer. Airbus asked Rolls for an engine for new plane they making (airbus wanted Rolls engines only) Yet Rolls said no because they don't have enough time to develop it. So pratt & Witney and GE jumped in there. Rolls has no new engine in pipeline for next 5yrs.

KateR

Post by KateR » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:11 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:30 am
If I am right gradual release from lockdown in Texas began at the start of May (roughly eight weeks ago).
yes that is correct, restaurants first at 25/50/75%, bars two weeks later at 25/50% and all bars stopped again restaurants back to 50% occupancy, hospitals moving towards overload in certain places being the main reason for this scaling back.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:39 am
Trent 700 no longer made, they do the odd and I mean odd 700 blade for spares. T900 dead, they make none of them. Trent 1000 Singapore made (they do odd few again odd few) xwb 97k and mk2 blades plus military are what they make most of at Barlick. They are made for the A380 and that has gone. Why are Rolls trying to make redundancies packages alot less. Order books down big time, Rolls was letting people go before virus, virus has retired big planes, Rolls have no small plane engine, only odd few still running but they don't make new engines just odd spare blade.
Your either not reading what I put or not understanding what I said.
Ihave worked for RR for 22.5 years and was tech leader for several years on the manufacture of fan blades.
Rolls Royce LOSE OVER A MILLION POUNDS on Each new engine.

They make money on engineS flying, so they made Just over 1500 T700 (If my memory is correct) engines which were the money earner. Keeping RR a float.

Why is RR wanting to reduce Severance, because it’s losing 40 million a month.

Ihave just accepted the correct terms and finish on the 14th July.

RR are moving work to China and places like Thailand, I know because I went to do the company assesments.

Engineering resource is being moved to India.

They will reject it big time. The company might even go bust.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:44 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:59 am
Singapore wasn't allowed to do military blades at 1st but now they got licence to. Rolls will still be in barlick but will be skeleton crew. Look at Airbus, they are getting rid of alot of workers. Airbus is Rolls main engine buyer. Airbus asked Rolls for an engine for new plane they making (airbus wanted Rolls engines only) Yet Rolls said no because they don't have enough time to develop it. So pratt & Witney and GE jumped in there. Rolls has no new engine in pipeline for next 5yrs.
Again not correct, it’s 10 years before a new engine.

KateR

Post by KateR » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:02 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 pm
Ihave worked for RR for 22.5 years and was tech leader for several years on the manufacture of fan blades.

They make money on engineS flying, so they made Just over 1500 T700 (If my memory is correct) engines which were the money earner. Keeping RR a float.

RR are moving work to China and places like Thailand, I know because I went to do the company assesments.

interesting, the company I worked for moved some engineering centers to India/Philippines and Poland decades ago, we sent top engineers to each to set up and a team in each office from Europe, each year the western expats were reduced, now less than a handful in each location, the office VP & BD VP in the Indian offices have been Indian nationals for over a decade. Did the same in China late 90's, they are recognized as global centers of excellence today and instrumental in wiling lots of work because work sharing is done, typically UK off with India and Philippines with US, Poland with the European office in Amsterdam.

I would have thought plenty would love to go to work in India, just a thought, obviously not everyone and defeats the whole purpose of having the work done in India if majority are western expats so would expect it will be in the upper management roles that offers will be given. Of course I have no way of knowing what RR will do just offering a view of what happened in the company I was with.

Ohhh what about the power industry turbines is that not done anymore?

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:20 pm

KateR wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:02 pm
interesting, the company I worked for moved some engineering centers to India/Philippines and Poland decades ago, we sent top engineers to each to set up and a team in each office from Europe, each year the western expats were reduced, now less than a handful in each location, the office VP & BD VP in the Indian offices have been Indian nationals for over a decade. Did the same in China late 90's, they are recognized as global centers of excellence today and instrumental in wiling lots of work because work sharing is done, typically UK off with India and Philippines with US, Poland with the European office in Amsterdam.

I would have thought plenty would love to go to work in India, just a thought, obviously not everyone and defeats the whole purpose of having the work done in India if majority are western expats so would expect it will be in the upper management roles that offers will be given. Of course I have no way of knowing what RR will do just offering a view of what happened in the company I was with.

Ohhh what about the power industry turbines is that not done anymore?
Well from what I have seen.

Workers move around every two - three years in these countries.

When your pushing the boundaries of what materials can take you need some continuity or you make the same mistakes every few years.

In an aero engine, that does not show up issues for a few years, by then it’s going to cost you millions.

I have found there are two types of worker.

The me myself and I.

The one who will do the best for the company even if that disrupts their career.

There are now more , me myself and I workers and that’s having a big impact on the industry.

Aircraft are going to be become less reliable and that will cost lives.

KateR

Post by KateR » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:30 pm

certainly not nice to hear in terms of reliability and the obvious loss of lives that would result.

In the energy industry, mostly O&G moving and international assignments are not only encouraged but made plain that the experience of that type will be mandatory to moving to executive positions. It also offers more money usually and I have met a lot of people on first assignment who said, just one job and get a little behind me, only to meet again in some far flung place. I agree this in not the norm and most people don't want to move around like that, have often said it has been a nomadic experience and my furniture has more air miles than most people. Yet have thoroughly enjoyed it in the main but some disappointments along the way but don't think I would change much.

Hope you enjoy the retirement, have you any plans, consulting etc. or more the relaxation and seeing places kind of thing.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:33 pm

Back to Covid-19...

Our GP enforced family test (to bump the pointless government testing figures) all came back negative.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1334 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Inchy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:33 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:16 am
Towards the end of the 'busy month' did patient's symptoms start to be less severe as though the virus was weakening? Also, do you think that improving treatment, as experience was gained, helped to pull patients through to recovery better?

Do you think that a number of recovered patients will still have ongoing problems with there health as a result of COVID?

I can only speak from my experiences and I am by no means an expert on the matter.

In regards to your questions.....No. We just saw less. The ones I saw were still very sick

In terms of experience leading to better outcomes, inevitably this is always the case with any disease. The more the medical profession are exposed to it, the more they learn.

In terms of long standing issues. Probably. Anyone intubated due to a respiratory infection is at risk of having g long standing issues. It will take time to recover, as with all respiratory infections leading to intubation. The length of time intubated, baseline health etc will all contribute to recovery time.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:47 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Rolls Royce as a whole do nuclear, defence, power, and civil aerospace. The civil aerospace part of Rolls is being hit hard. Some people could go to Barrow in Furness and work on nuclear subs they building there for Rolls, barrows more the defence side. They got contracts for alot of military work for UK and USA navy boat engines. I'm on about Barnoldswick civil aerospace, Rolls as a company will survive, barnoldswick depend on blades for civil areospace engines only.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:59 am

KateR wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:11 pm
yes that is correct, restaurants first at 25/50/75%, bars two weeks later at 25/50% and all bars stopped again restaurants back to 50% occupancy, hospitals moving towards overload in certain places being the main reason for this scaling back.
Hey KateR, where in Texas are you ?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:00 am

this is spot on
Attachments
EbjGCBiXQAInc_9.jpeg
EbjGCBiXQAInc_9.jpeg (44.59 KiB) Viewed 3091 times

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:03 am

Talking of masks has anybody got a hosepipe

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:21 am

Inchy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:33 pm
I can only speak from my experiences and I am by no means an expert on the matter.

In regards to your questions.....No. We just saw less. The ones I saw were still very sick

In terms of experience leading to better outcomes, inevitably this is always the case with any disease. The more the medical profession are exposed to it, the more they learn.

In terms of long standing issues. Probably. Anyone intubated due to a respiratory infection is at risk of having g long standing issues. It will take time to recover, as with all respiratory infections leading to intubation. The length of time intubated, baseline health etc will all contribute to recovery time.
Thanks for your answers Inchy. I guess I was clutching at straws when asked about the virus getting weaker. A month ago a top Italian doctor said that, in Italy, patients were becoming less sick as the virus progressed and the viral load is getting weaker. I haven't heard it from anywhere else though.

I think that a lot of the applause would be for the risk that all you health workers and carers were taking every day.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:34 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:21 am
Thanks for your answers Inchy. I guess I was clutching at straws when asked about the virus getting weaker. A month ago a top Italian doctor said that, in Italy, patients were becoming less sick as the virus progressed and the viral load is getting weaker. I haven't heard it from anywhere else though.

I think that a lot of the applause would be for the risk that all you health workers and carers were taking every day.
There have been several doctors in Italy who have said the same to be fair. Some in Genoa and Milan. It would be nice to see / hear the same elsewhere. But I suppose Italy is as good a place as any to make such observations.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:48 am

I posted a few weeks about Karol Sikora. A professor who posts lots of positive news stories about the crisis. Granted his specialism isn’t Covid or similar viruses. But I’m sure he has a better understanding than 99% of journalists and the general public.

Anyway he got a lot of stick for what he posts. But I genuinely can’t see anything wrong with anything he posts. In fact it’s refreshing.
Attachments
442DECE9-5CE4-441E-A1CB-193B386E7AE6.jpeg
442DECE9-5CE4-441E-A1CB-193B386E7AE6.jpeg (608.04 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
B7B53856-3E36-4FCC-83BD-71453EBA20BA.jpeg
B7B53856-3E36-4FCC-83BD-71453EBA20BA.jpeg (596.8 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
F7DADF4A-66F6-4F8D-9B23-2864E1DD2A0E.png
F7DADF4A-66F6-4F8D-9B23-2864E1DD2A0E.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2990 times

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:48 am

8-)
Attachments
519B228F-FAF1-4584-B8D5-1409BFE52343.jpeg
519B228F-FAF1-4584-B8D5-1409BFE52343.jpeg (298.75 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
D1F122F6-351D-4A3C-89AC-B15340191D96.jpeg
D1F122F6-351D-4A3C-89AC-B15340191D96.jpeg (568.33 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
CC06EFF8-803C-48BE-B781-85F4AABE3F52.jpeg
CC06EFF8-803C-48BE-B781-85F4AABE3F52.jpeg (619.84 KiB) Viewed 2988 times

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:49 am

:geek:
Attachments
1D2268BC-A813-437B-8CFE-F83F88AEF63C.jpeg
1D2268BC-A813-437B-8CFE-F83F88AEF63C.jpeg (606.28 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
CF193121-DF13-48D6-9859-CFF4F711D823.jpeg
CF193121-DF13-48D6-9859-CFF4F711D823.jpeg (569.85 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
56BF839C-DF95-4B6E-8B67-007395AA221D.jpeg
56BF839C-DF95-4B6E-8B67-007395AA221D.jpeg (309.07 KiB) Viewed 2987 times

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:49 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:00 am
this is spot on
It's a 'no brainer'. Not perfect but a massive reduction of viral spread.

Many governments around the world did not have adequate supplies of PPE at the start of the pandemic. They needed to cover this up and protect the limited supplies coming into the country for health workers. They put out rumours such as. "Ah err wearing masks um does not err help much and can be counterrr productive. The virus gets round the err side and ah the particles cling to the errrr mask and waft about in the blummin air when you err take it off ahh um".

They could have just shown us how to make home made masks. The Czech public did this off their own bat disregarding their governments advice.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:20 pm
Well from what I have seen.

Workers move around every two - three years in these countries.

When your pushing the boundaries of what materials can take you need some continuity or you make the same mistakes every few years.

In an aero engine, that does not show up issues for a few years, by then it’s going to cost you millions.

I have found there are two types of worker.

The me myself and I.

The one who will do the best for the company even if that disrupts their career.

There are now more , me myself and I workers and that’s having a big impact on the industry.

Aircraft are going to be become less reliable and that will cost lives.
You seem to look at bigger picture of Rolls and not local, which might be good for you if you want to go work abroad for less money. Some people want to stay in UK and look after UK jobs, some people wouldnt go abroad for Rolls to send work out and lose uk jobs because its cheaper. T700 makes money for Rolls when flying, but no good for Barnoldswick if they don't make them anymore. Order books for Barnoldswick have been going down badly over the last few years and that's before virus hit. A380 (which has 4 xwb engines on it) is being retired early, means less work for barlick. You just need to look on news and see with all redundancies at Airbus (they got orders canceled, that hits Rolls barlick as they don't need the blades for engines) Also Airbus was going to build a new plane in next 5 years, they asked Rolls for a engine on that plane (wanted Rolls engine only) Yet Rolls said No, supposedly not enough time to do it in (strange considering they could easy alter a Trent engine to suit at lower cost like they said about replacing A5 blade but never happened). If Rolls do develop another engine, they have been looking into composite blades (I know the leading edge work involved). Rolls have setup a company in Bristol to do composite blades, so that's not barlick future work unfortunately. Also Singapore is supposed to be cheaper and better than barlick & with work being sent abroad if doesn't look good for Barnoldswick Rolls at all, hasn't for a few years. Virus has made it worse. I don't see Barlick shutting down anytime soon, but unless things pickup and a new different kind of work comes to Barlick Rolls then it's going to be a very small work force there.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:12 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:49 am
:geek:
Hi cricketfield. I tend not to rely on opinions of various experts too much at this stage of the pandemic. I go more off the data and facts. Things that we already know to build up a picture. For example, reports on a vaccine trial; trends in 'infection rates'; reports from the front line such as the Italian doctor or inchy's experiences; and the results of scientific studies.

As far as I can see there is not yet a clear picture regarding the way the pandemic is going to pan out in the UK. What we know as facts (often with questions attached to them) so far:
  • The virus spread in the UK is relatively low at the moment in comparison with April. Is this because of lockdown or is there something else going on as well?
  • There have been reports from the Italian Health services that the viral load is reducing. Why haven't we heard similar report from other countries?
  • A number of people have had the virus with no symptoms and are most likely now immune. 'How many' is the great unknown. Could it have affected millions thereby projecting the UK population into 'herd immunity territory'?
  • Recent activities in the UK should lead to a second spike if the virus is not fading out. Texas, Iran started release in late April and are now in the throws of a second spike (looks like it takes 6-8 weeks). Will this happen? We should know towards the end of July.
  • Several countries (who have experienced pandemics in the recent past) have managed to keep infections and fatalities to a very low rate in comparison to the UK. They have also managed to minimise lockdown of their economies by a 'containment strategy'.
  • The UK still needs to develop a 'contact and trace App' and has not yet managed to get the whole of the population to wear masks in public places (two essentials of a containment strategy).
  • Countries that have gone into lockdown and released too early are now in the throws of a second spike.
  • Some countries (Brazil, Florida and Sweden for example) have had minimum restrictions with continuing rising infection rates.
  • Worldwide, the case rate is ten million people infected and half a million fatalities and the case rate is still rising.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:43 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 am
You seem to look at bigger picture of Rolls and not local, which might be good for you if you want to go work abroad for less money. Some people want to stay in UK and look after UK jobs, some people wouldnt go abroad for Rolls to send work out and lose uk jobs because its cheaper. T700 makes money for Rolls when flying, but no good for Barnoldswick if they don't make them anymore. Order books for Barnoldswick have been going down badly over the last few years and that's before virus hit. A380 (which has 4 xwb engines on it) is being retired early, means less work for barlick. You just need to look on news and see with all redundancies at Airbus (they got orders canceled, that hits Rolls barlick as they don't need the blades for engines) Also Airbus was going to build a new plane in next 5 years, they asked Rolls for a engine on that plane (wanted Rolls engine only) Yet Rolls said No, supposedly not enough time to do it in (strange considering they could easy alter a Trent engine to suit at lower cost like they said about replacing A5 blade but never happened). If Rolls do develop another engine, they have been looking into composite blades (I know the leading edge work involved). Rolls have setup a company in Bristol to do composite blades, so that's not barlick future work unfortunately. Also Singapore is supposed to be cheaper and better than barlick & with work being sent abroad if doesn't look good for Barnoldswick Rolls at all, hasn't for a few years. Virus has made it worse. I don't see Barlick shutting down anytime soon, but unless things pickup and a new different kind of work comes to Barlick Rolls then it's going to be a very small work force there.

Jacob, buddy. Please do some research before posting. I have made that mistake many times.
The A380 has 4 Trent 900 engines on it. The Trent 900 fan blades have been made in Singapore only for several years now. Yes they are being retired early because they burn 10-11 tonnes of fuel an hour. An A350 5.5- 6 tonnes per hour.

The XWB 84k goes on the A350-900 and the XWB 97k goes on the A350-1000. 84k Fan Blade manufacture was split between Singapore and Barlick. 97k Blades made at Barlick.

Singapore sells its Blades in US dollars, Barlick in Pounds Sterling. RR using hedging of dollars and when comparing the two prices uses 1.56 dollars to the Pound. It was 1.6 last year.

No need to worry about the composite blade and the Ultrafan, that’s 10 years away at least if they can ever make it work which. doubt and always have.

My view on the Barlick facility is it’s 70/30 it will shut within 18 months.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:43 pm
Jacob, buddy. Please do some research before posting. I have made that mistake many times.
The A380 has 4 Trent 900 engines on it. The Trent 900 fan blades have been made in Singapore only for several years now. Yes they are being retired early because they burn 10-11 tonnes of fuel an hour. An A350 5.5- 6 tonnes per hour.

The XWB 84k goes on the A350-900 and the XWB 97k goes on the A350-1000. 84k Fan Blade manufacture was split between Singapore and Barlick. 97k Blades made at Barlick.

Singapore sells its Blades in US dollars, Barlick in Pounds Sterling. RR using hedging of dollars and when comparing the two prices uses 1.56 dollars to the Pound. It was 1.6 last year.

No need to worry about the composite blade and the Ultrafan, that’s 10 years away at least if they can ever make it work which. doubt and always have.

My view on the Barlick facility is it’s 70/30 it will shut within 18 months.
Airbus set to axe 10k jobs. Aerospace industry in on its knees at moment. Restructuring means getting rid of workers due to either moving work or work not being there. No point going further on about it at all as you sound like a big Rolls guy and anyone else are just a little shop floor numbers, or thinking more about your responses you sound like a Rolls Royce apprentice I know called Ben, who's got done for drink driving crash recently. It wouldn't you by any chance? I'm not sure if you are being serious or some sort of wind up merchant.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:38 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:27 pm
Airbus set to axe 10k jobs. Aerospace industry in on its knees at moment. Restructuring means getting rid of workers due to either moving work or work not being there. No point going further on about it at all as you sound like a big Rolls guy and anyone else are just a little shop floor numbers, or thinking more about your responses you sound like a Rolls Royce apprentice I know called Ben, who's got done for drink driving crash recently. It wouldn't you by any chance? I'm not sure if you are being serious or some sort of wind up merchant.
Weird.....