Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Covid-19

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:24 pm

One thing I’ve noticed. A lot of people’s views are dictated by bias and their own circumstances.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:25 pm

We have to keep being positive, optimistic and sensible.
Attachments
38C58C6F-772C-446A-B7E8-F474CA313ABB.jpeg
38C58C6F-772C-446A-B7E8-F474CA313ABB.jpeg (648.81 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
940CD6D6-D9CF-4FB9-A07E-428123B483E3.jpeg
940CD6D6-D9CF-4FB9-A07E-428123B483E3.jpeg (321.05 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg Quicknick

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:25 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:05 pm
I actually take that. Have been on it a little over 3 months.
Is it for COVID Frank and does it have any side affects that you have noticed?

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:34 pm

KateR wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:10 pm
the link provides some info related to blood type and likelihood to getting C-19 and the severity, have there been other medical bodies that have similar findings?

https://abc13.com/health/could-your-blo ... 9/6310236/
I've just done a google search and there is loads of material on this.

The following looks like a good article. It goes through several main risk factors.
In general, risk factors for more severe COVID-19 outcomes include:
Heart disease and hypertension
Smoking
Blood type
Obesity
Genetic factors
https://www.livescience.com/why-covid-1 ... eople.html
This user liked this post: KateR

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6883 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:35 pm

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/scientists-fo ... 51527.html
Some interesting research and potential great news.
And below The anti English lieing Crankie exposed.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/doubts-cast-o ... 32068.html

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:40 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:25 pm
I’ll not not say who but I went in my first Engineering company since lockdown the other day, local to Burnley, decent size company and I was let in by a manager through a side door and taken to a department, surprised me
Were they practicing 'social distancing' and other measures or did it look like business as normal?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:57 pm

Coronavirus: No 10 considering mandatory face masks in shops in England https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53365062

Probably makes sense, my only worry is people think face coverings are the answer to everything, they are a useful form of protection, but we still need to continue with strict hygiene measures, and some form of social distancing where possible. But if the PM wants to get the country back to work. then this policy is sensible, whether people will comply is another matter entirely.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:06 pm

America is evidence, especially in places like Arizona, that if you allow people to mingle without any worries about the virus you'll get an explosion of cases.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:11 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:36 pm
10July covid c.JPG10July covid d.JPG

Today's announced numbers for England and Wales of 512 new cases and 48 new deaths take the 7 day averages down to 551 and 75 respectively. No sign of any uptick to new cases 7 days after pubs re-opening and the crowd scenes from city centres we saw last weekend - despite testing over 200,000 people a day this week!

With the UK all-cause death rate now below the long-term average for the time of year where are the doomsayers getting their data from? The REAL WORLD track of the infection progression in the UK is still almost identical, just 1% above the mean projection, to that forecast back in April by the professor and his team from Oxford University and the US CDC research team at Stanford University. Our knowledge and understanding of the virus and how it affects people has dramatically increased in a short time. Some of these professors seem to be wedded to their theories/predictions no matter how unsupported by real world data they are.

We live in a dirty world, IT WILL NEVER BE CLEAN. There are over a 150 illness causing viruses and bacteria floating around in the atmosphere all the time. We have evolved to minimise the risk of infection from them. The T-cells, antigens and antibodies are actually a last resort in our body's infection control system. The alkaline nature of our saliva followed by the acidic nature of our stomachs is an effective killer, our nasal hairs and mucus production is designed to prevent possibly infectious particles reaching our airways, ear wax and ear hairs have the same role. Novel Coronavirus isn't going away but it WILL become just another one of those things such as the common cold or flu that our bodies just learn to deal with.
I don't doubt that daily case rates have come down significantly since May. One thing that puzzles me is the Peston programme on ITV on Wednesday evenings. When they discuss numbers it seems to be on the basis that the daily case rate is around 3,000. I have just undertaken a google search and cannot find anything to verify this.

There are a lot of experts with predictions. At this stage none of them know. We are in a Pandemic. Things can change rapidly. The virus could just fizzle out. The virus could mutate into something more dangerous. A second spike or wave could start to occur next week/month/year. An early successful vaccine in the autumn could bring it all to an end before Christmas. That's the nature of a pandemic. We don't know. You don't know. I don't know.
"It WILL become just another one of those things such as the common cold or flu that our bodies just learn to deal with".
Will it? When? The SARS coronavirus disappeared altogether. The MERS coronavirus has all but gone. Should COVID-19 not go the same way?

What if it mutates to something more dangerous just as we have become fully complacent and removed all the measures?

All pandemics come to an end at some stage but we can't really say what will happen next whether it is next week, month or year. You don't know, I don't know and neither do the experts at this stage.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:23 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:24 pm
One thing I’ve noticed. A lot of people’s views are dictated by bias and their own circumstances.
That is a brilliant observation.

Someone who wants football back early believes that the virus is now insignificant and restrictions should be lifted. Same too with people who want to re-open their businesses or get back to their jobs to earn a living. Donald Trump wants things back to normal for his upcoming presidential election and so discourages lockdown etc.

Some people who work in the Health sector might believe that the pandemic is not over due to caring for the safety of patients, residents and themselves.

No one's opinion is really worth a lot - especially if it is coloured by bias and self-interest. The pandemic will do whatever it's going to do until the scientists come up with a vaccine to stop it. Whether that is become more dangerous or just fizzle out.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Zlatan

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:29 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:40 pm
Were they practicing 'social distancing' and other measures or did it look like business as normal?
They were slightly if you went through reception but once inside, not at all, I obviously made sure I backed away.

One of my customers in Blackburn had lost two staff which was very sobering.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:31 pm

Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:25 pm
We have to keep being positive, optimistic and sensible.
Positive: I don't know anymore than anyone else but from what I've read I think there will be a vaccine in the autumn.
Optimistic: The current figures for the UK and Europe look good in comparison to a couple of months ago.
Sensible: We need to continue with 'social distancing'; 'mask wearing' 'contact tracing'; hygiene. We need to have this long awaited App. We need to stop skalliwagging at the seaside and in other things until it's all over.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:32 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:57 pm
Coronavirus: No 10 considering mandatory face masks in shops in England https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53365062

Probably makes sense, my only worry is people think face coverings are the answer to everything, they are a useful form of protection, but we still need to continue with strict hygiene measures, and some form of social distancing where possible. But if the PM wants to get the country back to work. then this policy is sensible, whether people will comply is another matter entirely.
I think we need all those measures.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:37 pm

Government and experts have been on the ball as usual
https://newseu.cgtn.com/news/2020-06-06 ... index.html

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:37 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:29 pm
They were slightly if you went through reception but once inside, not at all, I obviously made sure I backed away.

One of my customers in Blackburn had lost two staff which was very sobering.
I read earlier today that Blackburn are one of the towns in danger of a spike. Take a mask with you and try to keep a safe distance if possible.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:56 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:37 pm
I read earlier today that Blackburn are one of the towns in danger of a spike. Take a mask with you and try to keep a safe distance if possible.
Careful with masks in Blackburn, the code word for what they do to the equine community is "are you a lone ranger? "

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:24 pm
That’s very true but those of us who can “walk in another’s shoes” are able to understand an alternative viewpoint, even if we don’t agree the appreciation is there. However we are few I’m afraid, and the polar arguments always prevail

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:12 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:32 pm
I think we need all those measures.
It would help on two front. Hopefully cut down on the spread and also help the economy, especially our local economy.

I think my parents have bought everything online since the beginning of March. I bet they would start shopping in town again if mask wearing in shops was mandatory and I bet there's many more like them who would feel safer and much more confidant while 'going to the shops'.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:14 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:11 pm
What if it mutates to something more dangerous just as we have become fully complacent and removed all the measures?
I think this current incarnation is close to as dangerous as it can be. I’m no expert, but I have considered opinions of experts in the field and there is an understanding that if the virus mutates and becomes more deadly, it will burns out quicker and disappear much like SARS and MERS. The danger going forward may be if it becomes less deadly but more virulent, so more people get it and it spreads even quicker meaning it is less likely to disappear and we’ll have it circulating for years to come.

This is my opinion based on articles I have read, it is not a fact.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:06 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:14 pm
I think this current incarnation is close to as dangerous as it can be. I’m no expert, but I have considered opinions of experts in the field and there is an understanding that if the virus mutates and becomes more deadly, it will burns out quicker and disappear much like SARS and MERS. The danger going forward may be if it becomes less deadly but more virulent, so more people get it and it spreads even quicker meaning it is less likely to disappear and we’ll have it circulating for years to come.

This is my opinion based on articles I have read, it is not a fact.
I have read such articles as well. Particularly the Italian Doctor that said that the virus is weakening. Also one that said that antibodies from the common cold might also work against Covid-19.

I recently read about a study coming out of China that said that a number of people in the trial, who had been through the disease had' very low' or 'no antibodies' following the illness. Of those that did have antibodies, the body had discarded all antibodies for 40% of the trialists within 2 months. Meaning that a large proportion of people could get the illness a second time.

It's difficult to know what to believe at the moment. It brings to mind something that my old boss used to say from many years ago. "Dont' believe anything you hear and only half the things you see".

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:08 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:12 pm
It would help on two front. Hopefully cut down on the spread and also help the economy, especially our local economy.

I think my parents have bought everything online since the beginning of March. I bet they would start shopping in town again if mask wearing in shops was mandatory and I bet there's many more like them who would feel safer and much more confidant while 'going to the shops'.
Some countries in the Far East kept their economies going through 'mask wearing', hygiene, and track and trace.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:10 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:56 pm
Careful with masks in Blackburn, the code word for what they do to the equine community is "are you a lone ranger? "
I think you've been talking to Tonto.

Hi ho silver away!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:08 am

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:35 pm
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/scientists-fo ... 51527.html
Some interesting research and potential great news.
And below The anti English lieing Crankie exposed.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/doubts-cast-o ... 32068.html
Love this and very true.
Attachments
DAA27050-CCF8-4C6F-A655-DE1610523A5E.jpeg
DAA27050-CCF8-4C6F-A655-DE1610523A5E.jpeg (461.1 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:09 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:40 pm
I don’t know about workplaces. But drove through town earlier and smack water jacks looked like smacks circa 2001. Absolutely rammed and queuing round the block!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:13 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:23 pm
That is a brilliant observation.

Someone who wants football back early believes that the virus is now insignificant and restrictions should be lifted. Same too with people who want to re-open their businesses or get back to their jobs to earn a living. Donald Trump wants things back to normal for his upcoming presidential election and so discourages lockdown etc.

Some people who work in the Health sector might believe that the pandemic is not over due to caring for the safety of patients, residents and themselves.

No one's opinion is really worth a lot - especially if it is coloured by bias and self-interest. The pandemic will do whatever it's going to do until the scientists come up with a vaccine to stop it. Whether that is become more dangerous or just fizzle out.
At the start of the pandemic a friend of mine was telling me every possible doomsday scenario. And told me that mass graves were being built. And all sorts of conspiracies as to how this was here to cull us all.

A couple of months later he Unfortunately ended up on furlough. His view ever since is that this is a minor cold that won’t affect 99% of us and we all need to go back to work.

The truth is probably somewhere between his two observations. But his circumstances at the start and now have massively influenced his perception.
These 3 users liked this post: Zlatan UnderSeige bfcjg

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:11 am

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:09 am
I don’t know about workplaces. But drove through town earlier and smack water jacks looked like smacks circa 2001. Absolutely rammed and queuing round the block!
It will be interesting the first time an employee or customer sues a company for not keeping to regulations which then causes the person (or more likely group of people) to catch Covid.

When I was in Burnley centre last week the banks had posted a member of staff outside to ensure that customers were maintaining social distancing whilst queuing outside the bank. I guess they are a bit nervous. CCTV would provide evidence if people are all bunched together outside a shop. Smart phones can record what is going on in work places.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:28 am

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:08 am
Love this and very true.
If T Cells are providing immunity to the virus it would explain a lot. There have been numerous families where some family members have caught the virus whilst others have not.

It might also be the due to initial dose of the virus that someone receives. If someone has breathed in the air where an infected person has recently coughed or sneezed they are likely to have inhaled millions of virus particles. This gives the immune system a lot to do and it initially gets overwhelmed.

If someone has touched a surface, where virus particles landed a few hours ago, and then touches their mouth the dose is likely to very low. The T-cells are then able to deal with it.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:44 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:28 am
If T Cells are providing immunity to the virus it would explain a lot. There have been numerous families where some family members have caught the virus whilst others have not.

It might also be the due to initial dose of the virus that someone receives. If someone has breathed in the air where an infected person has recently coughed or sneezed they are likely to have inhaled millions of virus particles. This gives the immune system a lot to do and it initially gets overwhelmed.

If someone has touched a surface, where virus particles landed a few hours ago, and then touches their mouth the dose is likely to very low. The T-cells are then able to deal with it.
My friends uncle caught it and struggled with it. He lived with said friends grandma (his mother). She never tested positive or had any issues despite her age.

There is also viral load etc to consider.

I imagine the more people in hospital ill the more the viral load and the more the impact.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:57 pm

I think with such treatments becoming main stream Corvid will lose the fear factor. Science really is amazing.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sickest-coron ... 49172.html

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:59 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:11 am
It will be interesting the first time an employee or customer sues a company for not keeping to regulations which then causes the person (or more likely group of people) to catch Covid.

When I was in Burnley centre last week the banks had posted a member of staff outside to ensure that customers were maintaining social distancing whilst queuing outside the bank. I guess they are a bit nervous. CCTV would provide evidence if people are all bunched together outside a shop. Smart phones can record what is going on in work places.
It's not anybody's responsibility whilst outside queuing up, unless on the premises eg, a supermarket carpark, so there is no liability as you seem to be suggesting.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:43 pm

8-)
Attachments
E19ABA59-0BE6-40F9-BF29-41EF3C0BDEEC.jpeg
E19ABA59-0BE6-40F9-BF29-41EF3C0BDEEC.jpeg (705.64 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
8A8FB395-BE47-4F46-952A-907C37FD6FC6.jpeg
8A8FB395-BE47-4F46-952A-907C37FD6FC6.jpeg (403.25 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
2434D385-3C59-4D68-B4D9-904BB37A4186.jpeg
2434D385-3C59-4D68-B4D9-904BB37A4186.jpeg (283.46 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
This user liked this post: Quicknick

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:43 pm

8-)
Attachments
63182F11-36FB-4A45-858F-E809C1E1DC77.jpeg
63182F11-36FB-4A45-858F-E809C1E1DC77.jpeg (293.07 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
This user liked this post: Quicknick

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:52 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:59 pm
It's not anybody's responsibility whilst outside queuing up, unless on the premises eg, a supermarket carpark, so there is no liability as you seem to be suggesting.
What I am saying is that it will be interesting to see the outcome of any person, or group of people, who take legal action against an organisation, company or government body with the claim that the organisation had not exercised a 'duty of care' that they were responsible to exercise and that failure had resulted in a person catching the virus. This could also apply to 'care homes' schools and many other organisations.
E.G.
A woman who said goodbye to her dying father through a care home window is suing the government over his death. Her case, which accuses the government of unlawfully exposing thousands of care home residents to serious harm, will be filed at the High Court today.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-53012565
Amazon warehouse employees sue company over possible exposure to coronavirus: report https://www.marketwatch.com/story/amazo ... 2020-06-03
Here comes the first wave of coronavirus lawsuits. In Europe and the US, coronavirus is on its way to becoming “the new asbestos” for mass litigation. https://www.wired.co.uk/article/coronavirus-lawsuits
Family of U.S. meat plant worker who died of COVID-19 sues JBS https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-healt ... KKBN22K2FJ
Family launches first coronavirus legal claim against care home after couple's death. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/f ... l-22075943
Lawyers and litigation funders are increasingly looking at group action lawsuits in England and Wales as a way of holding major companies to account. https://www.cityam.com/could-group-acti ... tion-boom/
Coronavirus: Widow sues Safeway for wrongful death of husband after virus outbreak. https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/04/ ... -outbreak/
I would think that the the Bank has a 'duty of care' to the customers if it lines them up outside during a pandemic. I might be wrong but part of that 'duty of care', in a pandemic with government restrictions, will be to ensure social distancing. At that point in time the customers will be under the care of the bank. This is not just for banks but for all shops.
(Reuters) - The coronavirus pandemic is forcing employers to make tough decisions that could lead to legal liability, but most companies should be in the clear if they follow the advice of government authorities, according to Morrison & Foerster partners Janie Schulman and Christine Lyon. https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-emplo ... KKBN2133UL
It's a grey area who's responsibility it is immediately outside the shop. You need to ask who would the authorities approach if a big horde of people were bunched outside a shop with the shop only allowing them in one at a time?

However, it would be unlikely that the banks or shops would be sued unless they were doing something extremely stupid. Proving that an organisations 'failure to provide a duty of care which led to coronavirus' is likely to be difficult to prove. I think the more likely setting is a workplace where the management are ignoring the guidelines and an outbreak of the virus occurs in the workplace. It would be obvious that the virus had spread in the workplace. Whether the organisation was failing in their 'duty of care' by disregarding the restrictions would be for the litigant to prove.
Employees who become sick with coronavirus on the job face an uphill battle to file successful lawsuits against their employers. Employees need to prove they contracted Covid-19 at work, but the virus is difficult to track and widely spread. https://www.barrons.com/articles/can-my ... 1591697293
Some workers, such as health-care workers or those at grocery stores, have greater risk of contracting Covid-19, but they would still need to prove that they got it at work. If there is a large cluster of cases in a small workplace, that would increase the probability that the employee. https://www.barrons.com/articles/can-my ... 1591697293
There’s a fight brewing over whether companies are responsible when workers get coronavirus. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/19/coronav ... ility.html
Las Vegas Workers Sue Casinos Over Covid-19 Safety
Owners of Harrah’s, MGM Grand didn’t adequately protect employees from getting sick, lawsuit says. https://www.wsj.com/articles/las-vegas- ... 1593468142

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:56 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:57 pm
I think with such treatments becoming main stream Corvid will lose the fear factor. Science really is amazing.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sickest-coron ... 49172.html
The Biotech industry has made great advances over the last two decades. I am growing confident that medications and/or vaccines will be available in the next three or four months.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets bfcjg

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:57 pm

Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:43 pm
8-)
Some of the vaccine developers are making vaccines that create both antibodies and T-cells.

cricketfieldclarets

Re: Coronavirus

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:17 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:58 am
My daughter en route to Phuket for a cruise round Far East. Amazed they are allowing ship to sail No refunds offered so either risk catching the virus or lose your money. She and many others were put in a corner. They have your cash well in advance
How did your daughter get on? Did she go? All safe and well?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:35 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:52 pm
What I am saying is that it will be interesting to see the outcome of any person, or group of people, who take legal action against an organisation, company or government body with the claim that the organisation had not exercised a 'duty of care' that they were responsible to exercise and that failure had resulted in a person catching the virus. This could also apply to 'care homes' schools and many other organisations.
E.G.

I would think that the the Bank has a 'duty of care' to the customers if it lines them up outside during a pandemic. I might be wrong but part of that 'duty of care', in a pandemic with government restrictions, will be to ensure social distancing. At that point in time the customers will be under the care of the bank. This is not just for banks but for all shops.

It's a grey area who's responsibility it is immediately outside the shop. You need to ask who would the authorities approach if a big horde of people were bunched outside a shop with the shop only allowing them in one at a time?

However, it would be unlikely that the banks or shops would be sued unless they were doing something extremely stupid. Proving that an organisations 'failure to provide a duty of care which led to coronavirus' is likely to be difficult to prove. I think the more likely setting is a workplace where the management are ignoring the guidelines and an outbreak of the virus occurs in the workplace. It would be obvious that the virus had spread in the workplace. Whether the organisation was failing in their 'duty of care' by disregarding the restrictions would be for the litigant to prove.
I think the example you used was queueing up outside a bank I'm assuming on the pavement or a public thoroughfare part of the highway however you choose to describe the land, yes indoors & or owned premises claims for not exercising duty of care will be common I think, you will see a flurry of carefully worded legal documents disclaimers protecting against liability, you will see changes & signatures required upon admittance to exempt any potential liability claims going forwards.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:01 am

Brilliant. I bow to your superb higher knowledge.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:02 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:01 am
Brilliant. I bow to your superb higher knowledge.
I think you'll find its called common sense ;)

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:24 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:35 pm
I think the example you used was queueing up outside a bank I'm assuming on the pavement or a public thoroughfare part of the highway however you choose to describe the land, yes indoors & or owned premises claims for not exercising duty of care will be common I think, you will see a flurry of carefully worded legal documents disclaimers protecting against liability, you will see changes & signatures required upon admittance to exempt any potential liability claims going forwards.
My main point, on which we agree is that there is likely to be a number of litigations.

The minor point I was making about the queues on the pavement was that the 'the banks were getting nervous about legal requirements' especially in respect of 'duty of care in the pandemic'.

Having worked in large corporations I have an idea about the way they do things. In short there is an 'A*se covering culture'. The bank staff would not have taken it on their own initiative to line people up on the streets. Neither would the branches.

There would have been a meeting (or meetings) between senior management and legal executives to discuss what to do about customers waiting to enter the bank. Following this a memo would have been passed down to the branches to tell them exactly what to do. It was the same outside all of the banks that I passed. Hence my comment that the 'banks are looking a bit nervous'.

I would think that the legal teams in the banks will be 'bang on' about their obligations. I cannot see how you can have disclaimers to exempt yourself from breaking the law which is what 'failing to exercise a duty of care by breaking government pandemic regulations' would be.

I must say though that the banks looked very well organised. The bank that I went to were extremely helpful and managed the situation brilliantly.

The more technical legal stuff I will leave to you.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:35 am

Face masks aren't to be made compulsory in shops.

Bit like saying everyone should wear a seat belt, but it's perfectly fine if you don't.

Clearly obvious they are going down the route of eugenics (sorry, meant herd immunity).

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:54 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:24 am
My main point, on which we agree is that there is likely to be a number of litigations.

The minor point I was making about the queues on the pavement was that the 'the banks were getting nervous about legal requirements' especially in respect of 'duty of care in the pandemic'.

Having worked in large corporations I have an idea about the way they do things. In short there is an 'A*se covering culture'. The bank staff would not have taken it on their own initiative to line people up on the streets. Neither would the branches.

There would have been a meeting (or meetings) between senior management and legal executives to discuss what to do about customers waiting to enter the bank. Following this a memo would have been passed down to the branches to tell them exactly what to do. It was the same outside all of the banks that I passed. Hence my comment that the 'banks are looking a bit nervous'.

I would think that the legal teams in the banks will be 'bang on' about their obligations. I cannot see how you can have disclaimers to exempt yourself from breaking the law which is what 'failing to exercise a duty of care by breaking government pandemic regulations' would be.

I must say though that the banks looked very well organised. The bank that I went to were extremely helpful and managed the situation brilliantly.

The more technical legal stuff I will leave to you.
The overriding decisive point in the event of any liable action sought would be to determine where breaking the law took place & more importantly who was responsible, people failing to queue up in orderly distanced line on a PUBLIC thoroughfare a pavement on the street, it would be extremely difficult bordering on impossible to prosecute any business/organisation for the customers failings, it's not something they would be responsible for because the pavement on the street (if it's not on the deeds) does not belong to them, we would ourselves be responsible & nobody else, the bank staff had no legal duty to ensure the customers were all in line & adequately distanced, I can understand why there were checking to ensure once the customers entered the building it was a safe & virus free environment to minimise the exposure. You only have a real legal duty of care a responsibility upon entering the premises or waiting on owned premises, I don't think you are grasping this.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:54 am
The overriding decisive point in the event of any liable action sought would be to determine where breaking the law took place & more importantly who was responsible, people failing to queue up in orderly distanced line on a PUBLIC thoroughfare a pavement on the street, it would be extremely difficult bordering on impossible to prosecute any business/organisation for the customers failings, it's not something they would be responsible for because the pavement on the street (if it's not on the deeds) does not belong to them, we would ourselves be responsible & nobody else, the bank staff had no legal duty to ensure the customers were all in line & adequately distanced, I can understand why there were checking to ensure once the customers entered the building it was a safe & virus free environment to minimise the exposure. You only have a real legal duty of care a responsibility upon entering the premises or waiting on owned premises, I don't think you are grasping this.
I agree with what you are saying except for the premises bit. The minor point that I was making is that the banks (legal teams and higher management) were concerned about it otherwise they wouldn't have arranged for social distancing markers to be placed on the floor and have a member of staff supervising. They would have looked into the regulations and their responsibilities. They are likely to know much more about it than you.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2897 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:23 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:10 pm
I agree with what you are saying except for the premises bit. The minor point that I was making is that the banks (legal teams and higher management) were concerned about it otherwise they wouldn't have arranged for social distancing markers to be placed on the floor and have a member of staff supervising. They would have looked into the regulations and their responsibilities. They are likely to know much more about it than you.
Isn’t that because they can then say, having made appropriate arrangements, you then, in full knowledge of the circumstances, choose to enter their premises? Taylor v Glasgow (Duty of care) rings a bell, obviously different circumstances.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:13 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:10 pm
Of course there was concerned STFO there would be something extremely strange happening if there wasn't, inside by law you need to enact measures, outside without any legal obligations the management & staff still wanted to ensure & minimise the likelihood of contamination upon entering the premises, it's irrelevant anyway if other areas are inconsistent trying to stop the spread as it needs to meticulously & thoroughly maintained everywhere.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:33 pm

A friend who works at the same place as me. His son tested positive for Covid 19 on Friday, apparently they tested everyone who works where he does, no idea where he works. He had no symptoms but is positive so the whole family now in isolation.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:30 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:23 pm
Isn’t that because they can then say, having made appropriate arrangements, you then, in full knowledge of the circumstances, choose to enter their premises? Taylor v Glasgow (Duty of care) rings a bell, obviously different circumstances.
Spot on. If the bank take the necessary precautions it's then the customers responsibility to determine whether to follow the instructions of the bank employee and enter the bank.

The point I was making to the other poster was that the banks are undertaking a 'belt and braces approach' to make sure that they meticulously follow all of the rules and don't put themselves in a position in which they might be liable.

As long as they have covered all of the angles they will be in the clear. Should a customer then contract the virus they will not be liable.

Also, the banks were showing really good social responsibility and first class customer service. The young lady who was supervising the situation asked everyone in the queue the type of transaction they wanted to make. I was at the back of the queue and was making a deposit. There was a machine for taking deposits in the corner of the bank. She therefore took me straight into the bank and enabled me to make my deposit. I therefore spent minimum time in the both the queue and the bank whilst maintaining social distancing all the time. Full marks to the bank and the young lady employee.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:33 pm

'I thought this was a hoax': Patient, 30, dies after attending 'COVID party,' doctor says

https://bit.ly/2AWYxqU

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:56 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:33 pm
'I thought this was a hoax': Patient, 30, dies after attending 'COVID party,' doctor says

https://bit.ly/2AWYxqU
I posted on these COVID parties a week or two ago. In Alabama students were having a bet on who gets Covid first. They all pay their money into a pot. The first to test positive gets the whole pot. In order to try to catch the disease they then hold parties. US case rate 3,396,04. Fatalities 137,679.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:00 pm

There doesn't look to be much sign of a second spike in Europe yet following their lockdown. Spain and France are having slightly more daily cases but nothing to suggest a second spike yet.