Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1184 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Re: Covid-19

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:19 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:59 pm
Well your hardware store crawl was against government guidance at the time, whereas travelling by plane isn’t. No one said you’re not entitled to your opinion, I’m just telling you it’s wrong.
We've done this 1 before, it's absolutely impossible for any opinion to be right or wrong even if 99% agree or disagree, 1% will agree or disagree, you will never ever get people agreeing 100% on anything that's a fact, regarding the crawl if ESSENTIAL items couldn't be sourced from 1 store I was well within my rights to source ESSENTIAL items from another store, you are clearly struggling here, to help you out please refer below.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... /essential

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:52 pm
Yes, but will people will decide by priority that's the crux, no doubt familycat will be along shortly to berate me for my trips to the ESSENTIAL hardware stores, people who aren't showing any understanding of how the virus spread will be dimly viewed, it's my opinion that people choosing to fly at this moment in time are imbeciles that's my opinion whether you agree/disagree everybody's allowed 1.
That's an unhelpful attitude. As you accurately imply, there must be hundreds and thousands of different interpretations of government advice. In some aspects the government advice appears too strict, in other aspects it appears too lax. You, like so many other people, have made decisions of aspects of advice that can be ignored because they are too strict and other aspects where it is too lax and ought to be ignored by others.

My problem with your attitude is that, having assessed the advice and decided where the government advice could be improved on, you then assess everyone that doesn't agree with you as "imbeciles". You see yourself as the all-knowing expert and everyone else as beneath contempt. What makes you so special?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6962 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:29 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:19 pm
We've done this 1 before, it's absolutely impossible for any opinion to be right or wrong even if 99% agree or disagree, 1% will agree or disagree, you will never ever get people agreeing 100% on anything that's a fact, regarding the crawl if ESSENTIAL items couldn't be sourced from 1 store I was well within my rights to source ESSENTIAL items from another store, you are clearly struggling here, to help you out please refer below.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... /essential
Wasn’t it paint for a garden fence? I don’t really care that you went to a hardware store but you weren’t shopping for essential items. I just find it highly amusing that you refer to people as imbeciles for doing something far less imbecilic than you did.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:33 pm

In an ideal world there's have been no international travel this summer. Unfortunately lots of countries rely heavily on tourism so they've had to open up for economic reasons. With that comes the increased risk of the virus spreading again.
Personally there's no way I'd be bothered with the hassle of going abroad this summer, but if other people choose to that's their decision. I'd never criticise anyone for wanting a holiday after the last few months.
This user liked this post: Bfcboyo

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:36 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:00 am
A few points:
  • Cases and fatalities in Portugal are much lower than the UK 3261 and 142 respectively. In the UK they are 4124 and 585.
  • The gamble does not just affect you it is a gamble that involves the people/family travelling with you and also any person that you encounter during your holiday.
  • Will the 'airport/plane risk' be lower than supermarket/work? Probably. It all depends on how good the safety factors are at your work. I think that supermarkets are one of the highest risk places to go. It only needs someone with the virus to cough and virus particles will remain in the air for around 3 hours. I listened to an interview with the CEO of Ryan Air the other day. He made the point that studies have shown that mask wearing by everyone in a building/plane reduces the spread of the virus by 90%
  • Will the government lift the quarantine? It all depends on the whether the daily virus cases numbers continue to fall over the next month. There is currently a lot of reckless activity (protest marches, beaches, people acting like it's all over etc.) that should cause the virus to spread rapidly throughout the UK by the end of this month. If this doesn't happen it could indicate that something has happened to make the virus less contagious at least for now. Then the government are likely to lift a lot more restrictions - including quarantine of flight travellers. On the other hand, if the virus takes off again we are likely to be back in lockdown by August.
  • You will be both helping and exploiting the holiday/airline companies and their employees. If you are getting the holiday at a third of the cost I hope you tip heavily. A lot of those employees will be very grateful
Well 2 days to go and no air bridge yet. Annual insurance covers everything other than covid.

Looking at the Algarve region it looks like a far higher risk of catching it locally around Pendle or Blackburn . I would be more worried we were taking it out there than bringing it back. Last hurdles now.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:36 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:39 am
There is no distinction between shops/supermarkets and any other indoor location. The main principle is that the virus will spread more easily in any indoor area. The more enclosed or cold the indoor area is the greater the transmissibility. This will be compounded in winter when people are coming in from the cold and wiping their runny noses and coughing more. The more ventilation and higher the ceiling the less transmissibility.

The time to implement wearing face masks is as soon as you realise they work. Better late than never. The evidence is that COVID-19 is still around and will quickly form clusters if given the right environment and not quickly dealt with. The seven day moving average for UK daily case rates has risen for the last five days. It has been around the 600 mark since July 6th. The government track and trace are dealing with over 100 local clusters per week. Without measures these would soon break out into communities (e.g. Leicester).

For the first time since the beginning of the pandemic the government has arrived at a reasonable 'containment policy'. Face masks, social distancing and track and trace are the bedrock of such a policy. The government app when/if it is available should make the policy even more effective.

We can't afford to go into a second lockdown and borrow money to pay people to do nothing for another three months.

I don't know of any particular evidence on supermarket/shops mask wearing. The evidence of general mask wearing is good enough. Masks will help stop virus particles in all locations - supermarket, shops, take away food joints, and any other location. There is no reason to suggest that they will work in a clothing retailer and not in a supermarket. That is illogical.

The Evidence
"Seven types of face masks were put to the test by the University of Edinburgh, including surgical masks, respirators, lightweight and heavy-duty face shields, and handmade masks.

Aside from those with a valve, all of the face coverings were found to reduce the forward distance travelled by an exhaled breath by at least 90%.

A study by Cambridge University says even basic homemade masks can reduce transmission - and could even help to prevent a second wave. It said population-wide use of masks would keep the COVID-19 reproduction number (R rate) below one.

An international report published in The Lancet, which analysed data from 172 studies in 16 countries, found that by wearing a face mask there is just a 3% chance of catching COVID-19.https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... s-11931121

The UK government, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the USA, have all shifted their position on wearing masks during the pandemic...Numerous studies have shown that wearing any type of face covering (not surgical grade, which should be left to medical staff) over the nose and mouth, can help in reducing spread of viral droplets when a person coughs or sneezes.

On 8 July, Oxford University's Leverhulme Centre for Demographic Science, published a study, with the message: "Cloth face coverings, even homemade masks made of the correct material, are effective in reducing the spread of COVID-19 - for the wearer and those around them" and warned "face masks and coverings work - act now". https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 17666.html

"Face coverings made compulsory after Oxford COVID-19 study inspires debate
OXFORD SCIENCE BLOG
14 Jul 2020
Face coverings in shops will be made compulsory from 24 July, and the prohibition may be extended to other indoor spaces. The move follows last week’s COVID-19 face coverings study from Oxford’s Leverhulme Centre for Demographic Science on behalf of the Royal Society and British Academy" https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/science-blog/ ... es-debate.

Countries that have used face masks from the beginning of the pandemic have had a small fraction of the cases and fatalities of those countries who have resisted face masks. They continue to use face masks even though their case rates are now almost zero (the fence at the top of the cliff rather than the ambulance down below).

Countries that have resisted face masks have been the worst affected by the pandemic. Even president Trump has now started to wear a mask in partial settings.
All these tests show that if someone sneezes right in your face (within inches) then a mask would stop the droplets and aerosols reaching you. What they don't look at is whether they are any protection if you are 1 metre (WHO guideline) or 2 metres away from the sneezer/cougher when it happens. That is why social distancing was implemented instead of masks. Masks were only designated for shopping when the government advisors tried to look for ways to reduce the economic impact on shops from the grumps who said they wouldn't go anywhere unless everyone was wearing masks. This government seems to be almost entirely run according to twitter and facebook trending issues
This user liked this post: dsr

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:48 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:36 pm
All these tests show that if someone sneezes right in your face (within inches) then a mask would stop the droplets and aerosols reaching you. What they don't look at is whether they are any protection if you are 1 metre (WHO guideline) or 2 metres away from the sneezer/cougher when it happens. That is why social distancing was implemented instead of masks. Masks were only designated for shopping when the government advisors tried to look for ways to reduce the economic impact on shops from the grumps who said they wouldn't go anywhere unless everyone was wearing masks. This government seems to be almost entirely run according to twitter and facebook trending issues
Those tests also don't test what happens if you lift your mask to sneeze.

Imagine people with hay fever or other non-coronavirus reasons to sneeze. Government advice, essentially, is to sneeze into a handkerchief wrapped tightly round your face and then leave it there after sneezing. Do people really do that? Or do they lift the mask and sneeze into a handkerchief and/or hand, as before?
This user liked this post: bfcmik

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:48 pm

Coronavirus in Scotland: No Covid-19 deaths for ninth day in a rowhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53538094

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:09 pm

dsr wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:24 pm
That's an unhelpful attitude. As you accurately imply, there must be hundreds and thousands of different interpretations of government advice. In some aspects the government advice appears too strict, in other aspects it appears too lax. You, like so many other people, have made decisions of aspects of advice that can be ignored because they are too strict and other aspects where it is too lax and ought to be ignored by others.

My problem with your attitude is that, having assessed the advice and decided where the government advice could be improved on, you then assess everyone that doesn't agree with you as "imbeciles". You see yourself as the all-knowing expert and everyone else as beneath contempt. What makes you so special?
I've already explained my reasoning why I've reached that conclusion, I don't have to & I don't wish to explain any further, there will be some issues we agree on & some issues we don't agree on, I don't have a problem with that that's life, opinions aren't right or wrong & like I've already said you will not get everybody agreeing all the time, only in rileybobs world opinions are right & wrong, it's absolutely impossible in every shape & form when people think & feel differently & clash for any definitive right or wrong to take place.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:19 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:09 pm
I've already explained my reasoning why I've reached that conclusion, I don't have to & I don't wish to explain any further, there will be some issues we agree on & some issues we don't agree on, I don't have a problem with that that's life, opinions aren't right or wrong & like I've already said you will not get everybody agreeing all the time, only in rileybobs world opinions are right & wrong, it's absolutely impossible in every shape & form when people think & feel differently & clash for any definitive right or wrong to take place.
It's my opinion that opinions can be right or wrong.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:43 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:36 pm
Read up on the tests. You are wrong.

On 8 July, Oxford University's Leverhulme Centre for Demographic Science, published a study, with the message: "Cloth face coverings, even homemade masks made of the correct material, are effective in reducing the spread of COVID-19 - for the wearer and those around them" and warned "face masks and coverings work - act now".

Do I believe Oxford University or Donald Trump? Answer: Oxford University.
Do you believe Oxford University or Donald Trump? Answer: Donald Trump.

I repeat countries that have used face masks from the beginning of the pandemic have had a small fraction of the cases and fatalities of those countries who have resisted face masks. They have experienced pandemics before and know what to do.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:23 pm

dsr wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:48 pm
Those tests also don't test what happens if you lift your mask to sneeze.

Imagine people with hay fever or other non-coronavirus reasons to sneeze. Government advice, essentially, is to sneeze into a handkerchief wrapped tightly round your face and then leave it there after sneezing. Do people really do that? Or do they lift the mask and sneeze into a handkerchief and/or hand, as before?
'Halt the inbound infection' + 'Everybody wears a mask + Track and trace = CONTAINMENT PLAN = Low case rates = low fatalities = No Lockdown.
Add vaccine when available = SUCCESS

Let virus run it's course + No masks = NO CONTAINMENT PLAN =High case rates = High fatalities =Lockdown = Economic Suicide
Add vaccine when available = Why didn't we use a containment policy until vaccine? =FAILURE
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:40 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:19 pm
It's my opinion that opinions can be right or wrong.
It's very easy to go round in circles with this 1 as it's impossible to determine if your opinion is right or wrong, I'm saying there's no such thing as opinions being right or wrong, ok then we'll run with your idea that opinions "can be right or wrong" so on that basis who decides what's right & what's wrong? Somebody needs to to establish whether the opinion is right or wrong, do you see where I'm coming from now :lol:

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:45 pm

If an opinion is right, it's a fact, not an opinion.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

bfcmik

Post by bfcmik » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:11 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:45 pm
If an opinion is a fact then it is not an opinion any longer. Just saying, like.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:14 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:11 pm
If an opinion is a fact then it is not an opinion any longer.
That's precisely my point.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3111 times
Has Liked: 3829 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:15 pm

BBC reporting travellers returning from Spain will need to quarantine for 14 days from Sunday! :shock:

bfcmik

Post by bfcmik » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:21 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:23 pm
'Halt the inbound infection' + 'Everybody wears a mask + Track and trace = CONTAINMENT PLAN = Low case rates = low fatalities = No Lockdown.
Add vaccine when available = SUCCESS

Let virus run it's course + No masks = NO CONTAINMENT PLAN =High case rates = High fatalities =Lockdown = Economic Suicide
Add vaccine when available = Why didn't we use a containment policy until vaccine? =FAILURE
A balance has to be struck between the economic suicide caused by lockdown, when we are already in the early stages of the economic suicide voted for back in 2016, and the health needs of the nation. Who is paying for the lockdown? Eventually some people have to go out and earn the UK some cash to keep buying the things we need to function as a developed economy.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:21 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:15 pm
BBC reporting travellers returning from Spain will need to quarantine for 14 days from Sunday! :shock:
This is why taking your family abroad this summer was not a good idea. Have to say, it is no surprise whatsoever. If someone does not self isolate on return and infects someone else, then they deserve to be sued imo.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:28 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Aint going to happen with the Magaluf bunch.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:30 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Why do they insist on calling it quarantine?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:31 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
And if an opinion is proved to be wrong, it is still an opinion.

So it's possible for an opinion to be right or wrong.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:34 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:21 pm
This is why taking your family abroad this summer was not a good idea. Have to say, it is no surprise whatsoever. If someone does not self isolate on return and infects someone else, then they deserve to be sued imo.
I agree.

Listened to Kuenssberg’s interview with Boris yesterday. I have to say I despise her style so I probably shouldn’t have bothered, but despite her best efforts to get Boris to admit failings, he kept making the point that the time to evaluate is when it’s over, not in the middle of it.

Can understand why the Government thought it necessary to reopen air travel given the low cases at the time, and the catastrophe facing the industry, but it feels Like this will be another mistake. If cases spike here in September, the cause will be obvious.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:35 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:28 pm
True. Idiots.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:40 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Right or wrong isn’t always a matter of fact though. Things can be morally right or wrong.

So if I hold the opinion that women and men and should have equal rights, for example, then that would be right. But that isn’t a fact and some people will be of the opinion that men and women shouldn’t have equal rights.

By the same logic, someone who holds the opinion that everyone who chooses to travel on a plane is an idiot or a chav is wrong.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:43 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:40 pm
Right or wrong isn’t always a matter of fact though. Things can be morally right or wrong.

So if I hold the opinion that women and men and should have equal rights, for example, then that would be right. But that isn’t a fact and some people will be of the opinion that men and women shouldn’t have equal rights.

By the same logic, someone who holds the opinion that everyone who chooses to travel on a plane is an idiot or a chav is wrong.
Okay, but if they don't self isolate for14 days when told to on return you agree that they are idiots?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:50 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:43 pm
Okay, but if they don't self isolate for14 days when told to on return you agree that they are idiots?
If they’re flying back from a country that requires them to self isolate, and they don’t, then there’s a case to make that they’re an idiot. But there may be factors preventing someone from being able to self isolate so I wouldn’t throw a blanket statement at everyone who doesn’t. But this is all irrelevant as I am discussing people being labelled idiots and chavs for going on holiday.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:54 pm

NewClaret wrote:
My ex is taking our daughter to Spain at the end of August, along with her parents.

I can't see them self isolating for 2weeks upon their return :roll:

If the government is concerned enough to remove Spain from the safe list then they'd be better off putting a no fly thing in place to enable people to get their money back for holidays etc.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:58 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:31 pm

It's not an opinion if it's proved to be wrong.

A fact is verifiable or falsifiable. An opinion is insufficiently defined to be verified or denied and so it cannot be considered right or wrong. If it can be considered right or wrong, then it's somebody throwing out something as fact, but is incorrect in their statement.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:07 pm

Given some of the pictures I’ve seen it comes as no surprise, Greece will be next!!

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:31 pm

People who refuse to self isolate on their return from Spain are probably same ones whinging about having to wear a face mask on their weekly big shop at Asda.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:36 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:21 pm
A balance has to be struck between the economic suicide caused by lockdown, when we are already in the early stages of the economic suicide voted for back in 2016, and the health needs of the nation. Who is paying for the lockdown? Eventually some people have to go out and earn the UK some cash to keep buying the things we need to function as a developed economy.
Lockdown was stupid. True it was economic suicide. What caused the lockdown? Answer lack of a 'containment plan'. What was the real 'stupid'? Lack of a 'containment plan'.

Lockdown occurred on one weekend in the middle of March. Due the fact that we had no 'effective containment plan' lockdown was inevitable. There were several reasons:
  • UK pursuing an herd immunity policy that was increasingly being seen to be catastrophic both by UK scientists and other countries.
  • The French president was going to close the border to the UK unless we went into lockdown. The rest of the world were discussing whether to make the UK a 'no go quarantine area'. To have had international ties cut overnight would have been even worst, in economic terms, to an Island nation that depends on overseas trade to keep it's economy going. What do you think the supermarket shelves would have looked like two or three weeks later had we not gone into lockdown?
  • Some London hospitals had started to be overwhelmed and were looking similar to those in Italy. To have let the NHS be overwhelmed would have been political suicide for the Tory Party who now have much of it's vote in Northern constituencies
  • The case rate doubled over the weekend making the scientists warnings of exponential growth look real. Some on this site also predicted exponential growth when idiots like me were saying that it only affected a small proportion of the population.
Was it all the governments fault?
Not entirely. It was probably due to lack of 'pandemic experience' and bad guidance from the WHO as much as the governments fault. The UK had not seen the likes of this pandemic for a hundred years.

What did governments do who had recent 'pandemic experience'? Put their pre-prepared containment plan's into immediate effect with lightening speed and strong force. What did these containment plans consist of?
'Halt the inbound infection' + 'Everybody wears a mask + Track and trace.

Did it work? Yes. Some of the countries didn't even need to go into lockdown.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:40 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:28 pm
That's a good point. How are they going to police it? Will 'Track and Trace' officials carry out random visits to their homes?

It's also unlikely that the Magaluf bunch will be able to return to work if their employers know that they have returned from Spain and should be in quarantine.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:42 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:31 pm

When someone changes an opinion in the light of new information they have integrity.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:07 pm

More on Spain and other European countries according to the BBC

Coronavirus: Spain drives fears of European 'second wave'
Spain is taking new measures to cut a spike in coronavirus cases, amid fears of a more widespread "second wave". Catalonia has closed its nightlife for two weeks but cities outside the north-eastern region are also seeing a surge.

France and Germany have also both seen new cases rise, as nations grapple between staving off fresh outbreaks and reopening economies. Barely a month after Spain ended its state of emergency, cities including Barcelona, Zaragoza and the capital Madrid have seen a surge in new infections, prompting the government to warn that a second wave could be imminent.

One football team in the second division, Fuenlabrada, now has 28 confirmed cases.

Belgium has slowed down its reopening amid a sharp rise in cases. Italy is isolating arrivals from Romania and Bulgaria for two weeks after a number of imported cases. France's health ministry said there were now more than 1,000 new cases each day in hospitals. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53539015

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:16 pm

'Death/Survival Panels Have Started in Texas.
Weak and vulnerable patients are being turned away. Some patients are also being turned away because they have not been deemed to have followed the Coronavirus regulations.

'Our backs are to the wall': Texas hospital to turn away COVID-19 patients with poor survival chances
Gabrielle Masson - Wednesday, July 22nd, 2020

A Texas hospital has formed an ethics committee to screen all COVID-19 patients for survival potential and send home those with low survival chances...Those deemed too fragile, sick or elderly will be advised to go home..."There is nowhere to put these patients. The whole state of Texas and neighboring states have no ICU beds to spare for us," Dr. Vazquez said.

Physicians at Starr County Memorial Hospital, the only hospital in the county, have to make these end-of-life decisions because residents aren't following social distancing guidelines, Starr County Judge Eloy Vera said, adding, "Our backs are to the wall." https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/p ... ances.html

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:25 pm

Covid-19 like no other virus encountered - Chris Martenson

Covid-19 is one of the most "alien" viruses our modern health care system has encountered. Not because it came from extraterrestrials, but because of all of the various different ways it's able to wreak havoc on the human body. It's so novel that we don't have a good natural analog to compare it to.

And it's still confounding us. While it looked as if we had contained it here in the US, it's now surging back so strongly that overwhelmed hospitals are convening "survival panels" to determine who gets treated and who gets sent home to likely die.

We are learning more about it every day, and have a long way to go until we really understand well how it works and how to fight it. So we need to remain vigilant in our efforts to avoid it, or else the resurging death count may go a lot higher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-fJqDqOvU

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:24 pm

Looks like a Tory minister has gone holidaying in Spain. I hope he leads by example in terms of self isolating when he gets home but if he doesn't im sure he'll be roundly condemned as an idiot by all

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:31 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:42 pm
When someone changes an opinion in the light of new information they have integrity.
Or possibly something to hide is probably more accurate, you often change tact to avoid embarrassment & further yourself away from what was originally wrong!

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:56 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:31 pm
Or possibly something to hide is probably more accurate, you often change tact to avoid embarrassment & further yourself away from what was originally wrong!
Could be. Especially if the person denies having the wrong opinion in the first place. Or more likely spins the original opinion to be something different than it was.

The integrity one is where someone admits they were wrong and then, in the light of the new information, changes their mind. E.g. at the start of the pandemic I thought the virus was no more than the flue and only affected a small part of the population. I totally disregarded the exponential growth aspect until I started listening to Chris Martensons then daily talks.

I also thought it was a mistake to start football behind closed doors. Again completely wrong.

Another recent example was Borris Johnson admitting that, back in March, they hadn't realised the severity of the problem. I guess he was busy sorting out the 'floods crises' at the time but at least he now admits it.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:08 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:54 pm
My ex is taking our daughter to Spain at the end of August, along with her parents.

I can't see them self isolating for 2weeks upon their return :roll:

If the government is concerned enough to remove Spain from the safe list then they'd be better off putting a no fly thing in place to enable people to get their money back for holidays etc.
Agreed. Does seem strange you would let people fly out to a place with a spike in cases and hope they quarantine on their return!!

1HappyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by 1HappyClaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:19 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:08 pm
Agreed. Does seem strange you would let people fly out to a place with a spike in cases and hope they quarantine on their return!!
TUI and Easyjet are cancelling all flights to mainland Spain AND all the islands including the Canary Islands which are nowhere near Spain.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:49 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:56 pm
Could be. Especially if the person denies having the wrong opinion in the first place. Or more likely spins the original opinion to be something different than it was.

The integrity one is where someone admits they were wrong and then, in the light of the new information, changes their mind. E.g. at the start of the pandemic I thought the virus was no more than the flue and only affected a small part of the population. I totally disregarded the exponential growth aspect until I started listening to Chris Martensons then daily talks.

I also thought it was a mistake to start football behind closed doors. Again completely wrong.

Another recent example was Borris Johnson admitting that, back in March, they hadn't realised the severity of the problem. I guess he was busy sorting out the 'floods crises' at the time but at least he now admits it.
Agree in the main, regarding starting playing football behind closed doors & making a mistake, I wouldn't say you have, the resumption hasn't been a success or a disaster it just simply recontinued I wouldn't exactly describe it as a overwhelming success nor a failure, & underestimating the viruses potency I don't think you was alone with that 1, when you've got a Chinese doctor whistleblowing & then suddenly dying, alarm bells start ringing for some switched on people.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:03 am

UnderSeige wrote:

Maybe if Johnson had bothered to attended the Cobra meetings he might have grasped the severity of the problem,just a thought

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:10 am

UnderSeige wrote:
That’s not an example of integrity it’s an example of arrogance and rank stupidity. A brief look to Europe and specifically Italy and Spain showed how severe this was and that’s assuming you’ve ignored China because ‘they’ll eat anything that moves over there’.

atlantalad
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by atlantalad » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:44 am

So people think it's safe to travel during a major pandemic.

Human ace is not as intelligent as being made out!

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:41 am

I have just heard Labour's Jon Ashworth calling for the Government, i.e. us, to compensate people if they loose wages if they have to self isolate after coming back from Spain. Absolutely ridiculous. They knew the risks. No way Jose.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:30 am

Some of the anger/frustration from holiday makers on this was the govts travel advice was to go to the Spanish Islands as these have low infection rates and are deemed safe

It is being reported that device the govt has developed that travellers use to declare their holiday destination does not have the IT capability to register anything less specific than just the country so if you go to Tenerife for example although you are nowhere near Spain that is what you have to be grouped in to

This might be why the govt have suddenly had to do a blanket approach to Spain and its islands together. If this is true then it just shows again how useless this govt are and I dont blame travelers from being upset when they have followed the advice of the govt who for no obvious reason over than an IT cock up now are doing a 180 and making them quarantine with no prior warning

The icing on the cake is the govts own Transport Minister who has been leading the work on air bridges and travel safety jetted off to Spain yesterday hours before the govt decided to suddenly impose quarantine. What a bunch of jokers we have running the show

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:32 am

martin_p wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:10 am
That’s not an example of integrity it’s an example of arrogance and rank stupidity. A brief look to Europe and specifically Italy and Spain showed how severe this was and that’s assuming you’ve ignored China because ‘they’ll eat anything that moves over there’.
It was a bad misjudgement at the time (very bad) and if you look at some of my posts I have been extremely critical of the government. The 'integrity' is that he now admits he was wrong and has changed policy accordingly. We now have a containment plan of sorts.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:18 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:36 pm

Was it all the governments fault?
Not entirely. It was probably due to lack of 'pandemic experience' and bad guidance from the WHO as much as the governments fault. The UK had not seen the likes of this pandemic for a hundred years.

What did governments do who had recent 'pandemic experience'? Put their pre-prepared containment plan's into immediate effect with lightening speed and strong force. What did these containment plans consist of?
'Halt the inbound infection' + 'Everybody wears a mask + Track and trace.

Did it work? Yes. Some of the countries didn't even need to go into lockdown.
Arguably the government should have used its own pandemic plan that was adopted by those countries who dealt with it best instead of ignoring it. I don’t have the link, but those countries who experienced pandemics recently relied upon British expertise in pandemic planning, but our government ignored them.