Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by KateR » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:07 pm

I am on Singapore Airways flight tomorrow night and for one am definitely worried about taking it, they sent information regarding how they are sanitizing the interior, which gives me some comfort.

However I don't feel worried enough to cancel my flight.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:54 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:19 pm
I wish people would stop trying to score points off each other at this time over this nasty virus....

There has been a lot of tosh pasted on this thread by a lot of different people.

Personally I would rather get information from people that actually know about stuff, rather than have bits and pieces cut and pasted in here, and stupid statements and unproven statistics extrapolated from said items.

This is not aimed at any one individual but to everyone ... just stop making crap up and sensationalising things.
Everything I posted is based on official data.
None of it extrapolated.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:59 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:01 pm
Two claims about Singapore you made tonight.

1. It's on lockdown
2. They've cut off the internet

Give a source and back it up or just sit at home gibbering instead of trying to get reassurance that your overwrought fears are are rational by shitposting.

No? No source? Didn't think so.
1 where is Singapore claret.

Cannot find the article I read at dinner at work.

Singapore is the only statistical anomaly, but it’s a corrupt gov, so nothing there surprises me

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:08 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:59 pm

Singapore is the only statistical anomaly, but it’s a corrupt gov, so nothing there surprises me
You're imagining things now. Pretend articles in made up media that never existed.

Although it could well be that the Singapore government (yet another government who are in on this conspiracy) burnt the article. Or the bodies. Or the statistics. While they were creating the virus in a secret lab. And kidnapping people who are using the internet to keep them quiet.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:10 pm

KateR wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:07 pm
I am on Singapore Airways flight tomorrow night and for one am definitely worried about taking it, they sent information regarding how they are sanitizing the interior, which gives me some comfort.

However I don't feel worried enough to cancel my flight.
Who wouldn't be worried?

But it's hugely unlikely this will be a problem. Safe travels.
This user liked this post: KateR

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:14 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:59 pm
I noticed that both the Daily Express and the Daily Mirror managed to incorporate the words "Killer Virus" into their front page headlines today.

Then, of course, the media asks the question(s) "Are people over reacting?" "Are governments over reacting?"

All provides yet more column inches and media discussion with experts from every UK university offering their opinions in turn.
Ah! the bloody tabloids sensationalising again,who'd have thought it,it's irresponsible of them to exaggerate,but sadly i'm not :o

I haven't read a newspaper in years,but such headlines could easily spread unnecessary panic,the media have a duty to report the facts and not scaremonger.
This user liked this post: Gordaleman

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:17 pm

Dettol kills it
Beer kills it
Washing your hands kills it

There is no excuse for catching it.
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan thatdberight

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:25 pm

It looks increasingly as if chloroquine, a 70 year old antimalarial, will turn out to be our saviour.

(Why am I the only one banging on about this??)

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:33 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:17 pm
Dettol kills it
Beer kills it
Washing your hands kills it

There is no excuse for catching it.
All these panic mongers love a stat, so here's a new one. 42,000 people in Britain get Colan Cancer every year. Why aren't they panicking about that?

Because it doesn't suit their fear agenda, that's why.

Eight out of the fifteen cases in Britain of Covid-19 have recovered and gone home. The others are still under quarantine but not badly ill. Not a single death as yet. Yes, I'm sure that there will be some deaths eventually but let's get things in proportion eh?

On a more pertinent point. Boris's goverment's response if to try and keep the virus at bay until the spring. Why? Simple. The NHS is so badly funded and managed under the Tories 'Run it down then sell it off' agenda, that if Covid-19 was to strike hard during the winter months, we just couldn't cope.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:37 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:33 pm

On a more pertinent point. Boris's goverment's response if to try and keep the virus at bay until the spring. Why? Simple. The NHS is so badly funded and managed under the Tories 'Run it down then sell it off' agenda, that if Covid-19 was to strike hard during the winter months, we just couldn't cope.
Well, I'm glad you haven't got an agenda.

You are right though. Other countries are pretty much inviting CoVid-19 in because their health systems will be able to cope no problems. Some are even trying to ensure their people get it just to show how good theirs is.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:40 pm

If it be your will wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:25 pm
It looks increasingly as if chloroquine, a 70 year old antimalarial, will turn out to be our saviour.

(Why am I the only one banging on about this??)
Although there are some reports about this as a possible element of treatment and some studies going on, I can't see anything like the wind behind it you seem to. What's your source that there is this "increasing" possibility that it will be "our saviour"?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:42 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:59 pm

Singapore clarets last post was kinda scoffing at your dramatic post about getting a bit of a cough and the sniffles.
Lowbankclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:37 pm
As of this morning I’m am now feeling unwell.
Mild flu like symptoms.
Coughing up green gunk.
Breathlessness which is not unusual for me if I get a virus.
Dry cough and slight fatigue.

Two people sat next to me at work both woke up with sore throats.

Now I am not saying it’s the corona virus . But it’s a slim possibility due to people here at work travelling and having meetings with people from Singapore then returning here.
SingaporeClarets wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:06 pm
December to February is typically peak flu season here so there are going to be a lot of suspect cases that are not this virus.
It was a few weeks ago so if its since killed him i'm gonna look a bit silly but i'll take my chances and repeat the question - where the hell have you got the news that Singapore is on lock down or are you just bullsh*ting?

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:47 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:42 pm
Singapore clarets last post was kinda scoffing at your dramatic post about getting a bit of a cough and the sniffles.

It was a few weeks ago so if its since killed him i'm gonna look a bit silly but i'll take my chances and repeat the question - where the hell have you got the news that Singapore is on lock down or are you just bullsh*ting?
He's just Bullsh*tting.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:53 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:40 pm
Although there are some reports about this as a possible element of treatment and some studies going on, I can't see anything like the wind behind it you seem to. What's your source that there is this "increasing" possibility that it will be "our saviour"?
I've spent hours and hours (so many hours!) researching chloroquine since it was first mentioned. I could hardly believe it could work myself. I really can't face writing a fully referenced essay, though, because all you'll do is pick a fight on every single word I write, before going outside and picking fights with random lamp posts.

Type chloroquine and coronavirus into google, spend a few days reading about it, then if there's a particular thing you want to know we can have a discussion about it.

(I still don't know if it will work, mind. I just said it looks increasingly likely, which is not the same as likely. I'm yet to commit to 'likely' - and maybe I never will.)

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:57 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:46 pm
Couple of things of note, or perhaps not to some.
I did quote one poster from Singapore, how it was going in Singapore.
I noted today a comment in the press that Singapore was under a similar lock down to China.
I wonder if that’s why Singapore claret wasn’t able to reply.
They have probably locked down the Internet, could be wrong.

Hope he can comment soon!
I'm in touch with my work colleagues in Spore on a daily basis. They are working from home, minimising the occasions they need to travel around. They've all cut back on eating out - which is a regular feature of Spore in virus-free times.

Spore, South Korea, Japan as well as China (and some other countries) are all on a "no travel to/from" list at work at present.

We have a briefing for UK Friday morning.

EDIT: "minimising the occasions they need to travel around" should not be interpreted as a claim that Spore is "in lockdown." My work colleagues are not saying that.

Also, worth adding - I've read a comment above that Spore "is a corrupt government." Not sure why you would say that. "Paternalistic and authoritarian" is probably a reasonable description. Most, mainstream, European countries are equally as "corrupt" as Spore gov't.
Last edited by Paul Waine on Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:00 am

thatdberight wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:01 pm
Two claims about Singapore you made tonight.

1. It's on lockdown
2. They've cut off the internet

Give a source and back it up or just sit at home gibbering instead of trying to get reassurance that your overwrought fears are are rational by shitposting.

No? No source? Didn't think so.
See my post above. Make of it what you will.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:09 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:00 am
See my post above. Make of it what you will.
Thanks.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:15 am

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:53 pm
I've spent hours and hours (so many hours!) researching chloroquine since it was first mentioned. I could hardly believe it could work myself. I really can't face writing a fully referenced essay, though, because all you'll do is pick a fight on every single word I write, before going outside and picking fights with random lamp posts.

Type chloroquine and coronavirus into google, spend a few days reading about it, then if there's a particular thing you want to know we can have a discussion about it.

(I still don't know if it will work, mind. I just said it looks increasingly likely, which is not the same as likely. I'm yet to commit to 'likely' - and maybe I never will.)
I've done the lampposts. The trees are on my to-do list.

I have not spent days - but like you say, you seem to have found something / somethings more than is available on a cursory glance (I had previously googled exactly what you suggested). I can see some articles over the last couple of weeks suggesting there's some interest in this drug and some studies going on. I didn't find a wave of articles and increasingly positive news.

The Israelis seem quite bullish about a vaccine but it would be for next winter not this even if it went according to their best hopes.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:36 am

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:15 am
I've done the lampposts. The trees are on my to-do list.

I have not spent days - but like you say, you seem to have found something / somethings more than is available on a cursory glance (I had previously googled exactly what you suggested). I can see some articles over the last couple of weeks suggesting there's some interest in this drug and some studies going on. I didn't find a wave of articles and increasingly positive news.

The Israelis seem quite bullish about a vaccine but it would be for next winter not this even if it went according to their best hopes.
Start your journey way back in 2005 here:

https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/art ... -422X-2-69

And it (currently) ends with China ramping up production to millions of tablets a day, making emergency orders for the drug globally, and the UK banning exports of the drug here:

https://www.pharmacy.biz/breaking-three ... el-export/

(I assume azathioprine is on that list for it's immunosupressant effect, perhaps to counter the ARDS that is causing the deaths, but I don't know.)
This user liked this post: thatdberight

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:12 am

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:36 am
(I assume azathioprine is on that list for it's immunosupressant effect, perhaps to counter the ARDS that is causing the deaths, but I don't know.)
Azathioprine (which has a number of uses) seems to have been in short supply for months before we knew about this virus so that could be unrelated.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:23 am

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:12 am
Azathioprine (which has a number of uses) seems to have been in short supply for months before we knew about this virus so that could be unrelated.
It’s been on short supply for at least 12 months, I’m actually surprised that it’s taken this long to appear on the list.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:13 am

Chloroquine has some effect in in vitro studies but as yet no human data and I have no idea what the concentration used in the in vitro studies and animal mice studies relates to the dose humans can tolerate but no doubt we will hear something soon
Likely it would first be used in those desperately ill
Time will tell
Wonder how long before the season is suspended

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:20 am

Looking at the papers online the Daily Mirror has a headline of "Virus Panic" with a photo of a woman walking along a London Underground platform wearing a mask (the type of mask that is widely reported as being totally ineffective against Covid 19). The same picture appears on the front page of The Metro.

I travel on the Underground daily and confirm that witnessing a passenger wearing a mask is not a common sight but obviously the tabloids wish to portray this image as being commonplace.

The virus more likely to be spread by The Metro itself judging by the number of passengers that I have witnessed either cough or sneeze into it and then leave it on the seat for the next passenger. One reason why I never pick up a discarded newspaper on a train or bus.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:34 am

The economic impact of the virus could have enormous implications on peoples well being.
The FTSE has fallen again this morning by 300 pts and could fall even further today as investors wont want to be exposed over the weekend.

Thats 1,000 pts fall in a week and is 13%.

It will affect the funding levels of pension funds and put peoples private pensions at risk.

Companies are going to go under and if people are advised to stay away from work there will be shortages across the board particularly in terms of medicines for people who are already vulnerable to this virus.

There could be power cuts and rationally.
House prices will crash.

All in all very worrying times and as I already said the genie has left the bottle.

How many weeks before all large gatherings are cancelled.

I dont think I am being a scaremonger but a realist who can see the real problems ahead.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:39 am

An alternative realistic view is that a few thousand will contract Covid-19 in the UK resulting in a few hundred deaths of people who are just unlucky for being old infirm or already ill.

The mass panic that is now evident across the media is purely fuelling the Armageddon scenario which plays into the hands of panic mongers.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:17 am

Switzerland has now announced a ban on gatherings involving one thousand or more people.

Such a ban in this country would see the cancellation of the Cheltenham Festival next month and other major race meetings and nearly all football matches in the top divisions of English football.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:24 am

The whole situation is beginning to be ridiculous. We, as a society, need to accept that people will die from diseases such as this - the “hippie” in me thinks it’s possibly Gaia self cleansing, and the “conspiracy theorist” in me says it’s all planned by the ruling elite to mask the coming financial Armageddon.

Bottom line for me is that I know I can’t change what’s happening but I can look out for myself and my family by doing our best to be sanitary and use common sense.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:27 am

Newcastle United have introduced a training ground handshake ban in an attempt to guard against the spread of coronavirus.

The club has put a stop to a morning ritual of players and staff shaking hands as fears over the spread of the virus increase.

Head coach Steve Bruce said: "There's a ritual here that everybody shakes hands with everybody as soon as we see each other every morning - we've stopped that on the advice of the doctor.

"Were like everybody else. Thankfully, we've got a superb doctor here and he will keep us informed of what we have to do.

"We're like everybody else, we're glued to the TV for where it's going to go next and let's hope it doesn't get any worse in this country."

I wonder when handshakes before PL games will be suspended?I've never understand the need for all that nonsense anyway.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 am

paulatky wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:34 am
The economic impact of the virus could have enormous implications on peoples well being.
The FTSE has fallen again this morning by 300 pts and could fall even further today as investors wont want to be exposed over the weekend.

Thats 1,000 pts fall in a week and is 13%.

It will affect the funding levels of pension funds and put peoples private pensions at risk.
Agreed although it seems an overreaction to a short-term issue to permanently downgrade values by 13%
paulatky wrote:

Companies are going to go under
Agreed. Depending on what measures are brought in.
paulatky wrote:
and if people are advised to stay away from work there will be shortages across the board particularly in terms of medicines for people who are already vulnerable to this virus.

There could be power cuts and rationally.
This bit is hysteria with no substance
paulatky wrote:
House prices will crash.
Possibly. But likely to recover.
paulatky wrote:

All in all very worrying times and as I already said the genie has left the bottle.

How many weeks before all large gatherings are cancelled.

I dont think I am being a scaremonger but a realist who can see the real problems ahead.
What the government decides in terms of the economic and social harm we're prepared to take to stop this will be interesting or whether we ride out the consequences.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:38 am

There are already shortages.
Hand sanitising gel , wipes and dettol for instance.
However your response is well thought out and does support my thinking in many ways.
How will some airlines and holiday companies survive ?

As regards riding it out I feel the Government will do all they can to try and delay the spread,not stop it altogether which I think too late now. This hopefully will give to develope a vaccine put off the peaks till the summer when NHS demands are less than in the winter.

The hope that the warmer summer weather may help to kill the virus may well just a hope when looking at the situation in Singapore.

Think we will have a better understanding of how this will out in 6 weeks time.
Last edited by paulatky on Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:40 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:17 am
Switzerland has now announced a ban on gatherings involving one thousand or more people.

Such a ban in this country would see the cancellation of the Cheltenham Festival next month and other major race meetings and nearly all football matches in the top divisions of English football.
It's a small price to pay to stop Liverpool from winning the league.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:46 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:40 am
It's a small price to pay to stop Liverpool from winning the league.
The thought of that is actually bloody hilarious :D

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:47 am

most of Scotland's lower league games will be safe

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:54 am

mdd2 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:47 am
most of Scotland's lower league games will be safe
Until everyone realises it's the only place to get your weekly fix of football...

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:56 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:17 am

It would see them played with no crowd. This might be the test the EPL are looking for. What does football look like with no crowds? A bit of CGI and added sound... can they tell the difference in the Far East?

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:15 am

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:56 am
It would see them played with no crowd. This might be the test the EPL are looking for. What does football look like with no crowds? A bit of CGI and added sound... can they tell the difference in the Far East?
Burnley in 1980s is probably a good model.

UTC

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:23 am

I posted last night that we had a Covid-19 briefing at work this morning. The briefing was led by International SOS - who advise many multinational companies on travel risks and such.

First thing - and maybe this had already been posted on earlier pages - best site for Covid-19 data tracking is Johns Hopkins CSSE:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 7b48e9ecf6

Last updated 10:03:12 (UTC): Total Confirmed 83,704; Recovered 36,665; Deaths 2,859.

But, database isn't perfect. N.Ireland is showing as 1 case; but, nothing for Great Britain (or England, Wales and Scotland, separately). There was data there an hour earlier, either 16 or 19 (I forget). I suspect the US recording has been thrown by Wales reporting a case - and they are now working out where Wales is, possibly previously having "England" down as "United Kingdom."

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:26 am

More from International SOS briefing

Covid-19 symptoms: fever, sore throat, cough, shortness of breath, muscle aches, diarrhoea.

Up to 14 days after exposure before symptoms may appear

Of course, we all already know that.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:27 am

and, more from International SOS briefing

There is no specific treatment: no specific antiviral theraphy, no vaccine.

4 clinical trials in China.
Hope for vaccine test in Spore in Q2 2020....

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:32 am

Prevention - avoid potential exposure - good hygiene - safe food practices - avoid contact with animals

Water and soap do work - 20-30 sec hand wash (not "splash and go" guys)!
Also, sanitizers - best >60% alcohol

Keep distance from people who are obviously sick.

Avoid touching face.

Do not travel if sick.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:33 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:32 am

Prevention - avoid potential exposure - good hygiene - safe food practices - avoid contact with animals

Water and soap do work - 20-30 sec hand wash (not "splash and go" guys)!
Also, sanitizers - best >60% alcohol

Keep distance from people who are obviously sick.

Avoid touching face.

Do not travel if sick.
Good series of posts if, as you say, nothing much that's not in the public domain.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:35 am

Lethality: depends on age, gender, comorbid conditions, region.

Men >60 more at risk.

Severe disease: cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, diabetes.

I can tick 2 of those risk factors. I'm sure that there are others on here who can do the same.

Go safely, everyone.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:41 am

no evidence that climate has impact on transmission, so warmer weather may not bring Covid-19 to an end...

as also referenced above, it is always warm in Singapore - lowest recorded temp 17c overnight.

Plus MERS (2012 - and still continuing) is middle east based.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:43 am

check airline websites if you are travelling. there are some destinations that are operating health checks (temp check, at minimum). If you are unwell for another reason - eg. cold, winter flu - you run the risk of being quarantined on the assumption that you my have covid-19.

(I think I'm done now)

barba
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by barba » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:51 am

Thanks for the updates.

Although i'm not "panic buying" i've taken steps for my family and I should we be in a position where quaranteen is a necessity.

If the situation improves then what ever i've bought, aside from the hazmat suits will be used anyway.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:58 am

I suspect more people will have died from standard variations of the flu virus that come and go each year.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:02 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:13 am
Chloroquine has some effect in in vitro studies but as yet no human data and I have no idea what the concentration used in the in vitro studies and animal mice studies relates to the dose humans can tolerate but no doubt we will hear something soon
Likely it would first be used in those desperately ill
Time will tell
Wonder how long before the season is suspended
Everyone appears to be relying on a paper by Mackenzie, written 1983 (nobody else seems to have bothered measuring plasma concentrations in humans taking chloroquine). This would suggest that the concentrations achieving success in the in-vitro studies should be clinically achieved by doses similar to those used to treat malaria.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:04 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:58 am
I suspect more people will have died from standard variations of the flu virus that come and go each year.
The science doesn't say so. If this is just left unchecked (or eventually overwhelms efforts to contain it) then 400,000 deaths in the UK (versus flu 17,000 per annum) seems like a number that people much more expert than me have batted about.

How you react to that number is up to you. Nobody wants people dying or doesn't care but, to me, that's an awful long way from Armageddon.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:05 pm

Just read some of the silly claims on here regarding life in Singapore. Just asked a mate who works out there if much has changed recently and they said

"business as usual (except having my temperature checked each time I enter or exit the office, and washing my hands more often)"

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:06 pm

barba wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:51 am
Thanks for the updates.

Although i'm not "panic buying" i've taken steps for my family and I should we be in a position where quaranteen is a necessity.

If the situation improves then what ever i've bought, aside from the hazmat suits will be used anyway.
The country won't go into lockdown. The infection and impact isn't anything like the level that would be required. Utilities, health and food logistics would be exactly the things that would still run.