Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Re: Covid-19

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:13 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:00 pm
What are the rules for quarantine now if you come back from America?
Is it 14 days?
There is an 'exemption list'. If you travel from a country on the exemption list you don't have to quarantine. USA, Canada and Mexico are not on the list. I can't see any South American countries on the list either. Just a few of the islands such as Jamaica and Grenada.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... ption-list
If you have been to or stopped in a country that’s not on the travel corridors exemption list you will have to self-isolate until 14 days have passed since you left that country. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -corridors

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:54 pm

I am not fully convinced that the USA is having a second spike. Only five states look to be peaking for a second time.
A number of states have peaked and declined in a similar way to Europe.
A very large number are still on the upward slope from March with a subset of these looking like they are going parabolic round about now.

It looks like the virus is spiking in states at different times, going parabolic and then declining - just as it did in European countries. 28 States are currently in the first spike.

US States experiencing a second spike.
Louisiana
Washington
Montana
Alaska (very low number of cases)
Hawaii

US States still experiencing a rising first spike.
California
Texas
Florida
Arizona
Georgia
North Carolina
Maryland
Ohio
Tennessee
Indiana
South Carolina
Alabama
Iowa
Mississippi
Wisconsin
Utah
Missouri
Arkansas
Nevada
Kentucky
Kansas
Oklahoma
New Mexico
Oregon
Idaho
Maine
West Virginia
Wyoming

US States that have peaked but are not experiencing a second spike (in line with Europe)
New York
New Jersey
Illinois
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
Michigan
Virginia
Connecticut
Minnesota
Colorado
Nebraska
Rhode Island
Delaware
District Of Columbia
North Dakota
South Dakota
New Hampshire
Vermont

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:47 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:54 pm
I am not fully convinced that the USA is having a second spike. Only five states look to be peaking for a second time.
A number of states have peaked and declined in a similar way to Europe.
A very large number are still on the upward slope from March with a subset of these looking like they are going parabolic round about now.

It looks like the virus is spiking in states at different times, going parabolic and then declining - just as it did in European countries. 28 States are currently in the first spike.

US States experiencing a second spike.
Louisiana
Washington
Montana
Alaska (very low number of cases)
Hawaii

US States still experiencing a rising first spike.
California
Texas
Florida
Arizona
Georgia
North Carolina
Maryland
Ohio
Tennessee
Indiana
South Carolina
Alabama
Iowa
Mississippi
Wisconsin
Utah
Missouri
Arkansas
Nevada
Kentucky
Kansas
Oklahoma
New Mexico
Oregon
Idaho
Maine
West Virginia
Wyoming

US States that have peaked but are not experiencing a second spike (in line with Europe)
New York
New Jersey
Illinois
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
Michigan
Virginia
Connecticut
Minnesota
Colorado
Nebraska
Rhode Island
Delaware
District Of Columbia
North Dakota
South Dakota
New Hampshire
Vermont
Makes sense.

America is huge (obviously). It’s not comparing apples with apples just looking at America as a whole.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 pm

You (or I) do really forget the size of some of these states or countries. I guess that why we think we have really had a nightmare but I guess we will only be able to tell in 12-24 months.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:46 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:41 pm
But by the same token you cannot assume that all pneumonia is related to flue.
Obviously not. Which is why I haven't made that assumption, and nor have I posted anything that would give the impression that I think that.
UnderSeige wrote:
This leads to the assertion that you need additional information to back up your claims that Flu causes 4 thousand fatalities per week during winter.
I haven't made that claim. You're making it up. What I have said is that in winter about 4,000 people per week die with flu or pneumonia reported n the death certificate, as a sole, primary, or secondary cause.
UnderSeige wrote:
It doesn't look like there is any hard data on flu numbers (as a single data category). It is mixed up with pneumonia because flu often leads to pneumonia (like several other causes including Covid). You would expect Public Health England to be able to make a reasonable estimate in order to determine the real numbers for flu over the last five years. That's what they have done. 739 per week in the winter. In most years Flu kills nowhere near 4000 per week in the winter.
You're half way there. You've got the facts, but not yet reached the natural conclusion.

Fact 1 - 110,000 people die while suffering from flu or pneumonia each year. Of those, about 17,000 would have lived normal healthy lifestyles if they hadn't caught flu; the rest were already seriously ill or dying.

Fact 2 - 44,131 people have died while suffering from coronavirus this year. Of those, a proportion would have lived normal healthy lifestyles if they hadn't caught coronavirus; the rest were already seriously ill or dying.

I don't know if anyone has an estimate of what that proportion is for coronavirus. Gut feeling suggests that it might be about the same as for flu/pneumonia, but that's based on no more than gut feeling and not actual stats. I doubt anyone has released any actual stats. But the point is that you can't quote the lower figure for flu and the higher figure for coronavirus and expect the conclusions to be taken seriously. For a fair comparison of the expected annual deaths from flu and the actual, you need to compare like with like.

When we have actual like with like stats to use, then it's possible to go on and draw further conclusions about why the differences and what are the similarities and what should we or could we have done, and so on. But we need proper stats first.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:22 am

dsr wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:46 pm
Obviously not. Which is why I haven't made that assumption, and nor have I posted anything that would give the impression that I think that.

I haven't made that claim. You're making it up. What I have said is that in winter about 4,000 people per week die with flu or pneumonia reported n the death certificate, as a sole, primary, or secondary cause.

You're half way there. You've got the facts, but not yet reached the natural conclusion.

Fact 1 - 110,000 people die while suffering from flu or pneumonia each year. Of those, about 17,000 would have lived normal healthy lifestyles if they hadn't caught flu; the rest were already seriously ill or dying.

Fact 2 - 44,131 people have died while suffering from coronavirus this year. Of those, a proportion would have lived normal healthy lifestyles if they hadn't caught coronavirus; the rest were already seriously ill or dying.

I don't know if anyone has an estimate of what that proportion is for coronavirus. Gut feeling suggests that it might be about the same as for flu/pneumonia, but that's based on no more than gut feeling and not actual stats. I doubt anyone has released any actual stats. But the point is that you can't quote the lower figure for flu and the higher figure for coronavirus and expect the conclusions to be taken seriously. For a fair comparison of the expected annual deaths from flu and the actual, you need to compare like with like.

When we have actual like with like stats to use, then it's possible to go on and draw further conclusions about why the differences and what are the similarities and what should we or could we have done, and so on. But we need proper stats first.
What is the natural conclusion?
  • Is it that we shouldn't have gone into lockdown because Covid is no worst than flue?
  • Is it that we shouldn't have gone into lockdown because Covid is less worst than flue?
  • Covid is not as serious as the flue?
  • Flue kills more than covid so covid is less serious?

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:10 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 pm
You (or I) do really forget the size of some of these states or countries. I guess that why we think we have really had a nightmare but I guess we will only be able to tell in 12-24 months.
Yes the land mass of the USA is a similar size to the land mass of the whole of Europe.
United States is 9,833,000 square kilometers
Europe is 10,180,000 square kilometers

Cases in the US are higher than the UK per million of the population but fatalities are lower.
USA
Cases:......8,869
Fatalities:... 400

UK
Cases:......4,196
Fatalities:....651

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:03 pm

Nothing necessarily new about this viewpoint but making the headlines again after this thread by Eric Feigl-Ding - Epidemiologist and Health Economist with 16 years experience of Public Health at Harvard

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1279 ... 17634.html

If it proves to be true then it maybe explains why the sweatshop factories in places like Leicester and the opening of the pubs (indoor at least) might hurt us more than the VE Day street party's, the BLM and counter BLM protests and the beach invasions.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:32 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:22 am
What is the natural conclusion?
  • Is it that we shouldn't have gone into lockdown because Covid is no worst than flue?
  • Is it that we shouldn't have gone into lockdown because Covid is less worst than flue?
  • Covid is not as serious as the flue?
  • Flue kills more than covid so covid is less serious?
:roll: The natural conclusion is that you're not much interested in anything except arguing for arguing's sake. Otherwise by now you would have noticed that I am consistently referring to FLUANDPNEUMONIA, that's FLU AND PNEUMONIA, the two illnesses which are aggregated for stats purposes. FLU AND PNEUMONIA are two separate diseases as you didn't hesitate to tell me, and yet you consistently refer to flu alone when you quote me or reply to me. You can only be doing ot on purpose. Why?

Secondly, I don't know why you disbelieve factualfrank. It really is flu, not flue. A flue is where the smoke goes up your chimney.

But ultimately, the only conclusion these stats produce in themselves is that more people have died with flu and/or pneumonia in the last year than with coronavirus. There are contributory factors both ways; the lockdown is widely believed to have saved lives; on the other hand, the export of coronavirus patients into nursing homes is widely believed to have cost lives. When the dust dies down and the smoke clears, the full time statisticians will no doubt be working towards a figure of how many lives coronavirus actually cost and how many it saved; and no doubt getting wildly different answers at that.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:09 am

dsr wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:32 pm
:roll: The natural conclusion is that you're not much interested in anything except arguing for arguing's sake. Otherwise by now you would have noticed that I am consistently referring to FLUANDPNEUMONIA, that's FLU AND PNEUMONIA, the two illnesses which are aggregated for stats purposes. FLU AND PNEUMONIA are two separate diseases as you didn't hesitate to tell me, and yet you consistently refer to flu alone when you quote me or reply to me. You can only be doing ot on purpose. Why?

Secondly, I don't know why you disbelieve factualfrank. It really is flu, not flue. A flue is where the smoke goes up your chimney.

But ultimately, the only conclusion these stats produce in themselves is that more people have died with flu and/or pneumonia in the last year than with coronavirus. There are contributory factors both ways; the lockdown is widely believed to have saved lives; on the other hand, the export of coronavirus patients into nursing homes is widely believed to have cost lives. When the dust dies down and the smoke clears, the full time statisticians will no doubt be working towards a figure of how many lives coronavirus actually cost and how many it saved; and no doubt getting wildly different answers at that.
How many people do you think would have died if we had done nothing. no lockdown, carry on with concerts and football with crowds??

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:27 am

dsr wrote:

Surely the only conclusion from a long discussion on the stats is that no conclusion can be drawn, making your assertion that coronavirus is doing less damage than flu and pneumonia merely an unsupportable opinion.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:46 am

dsr wrote:

Fair enough. I don't want to go down the road of personal insults. There is too much of that on this forum.

Your argument is that "more people have died with flu and/or pneumonia in the last year than with coronavirus". From this do you conclude that the government should not have gone into the lockdown in March? Or is it some other point that you are making.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2622 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:52 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:03 pm
Nothing necessarily new about this viewpoint but making the headlines again after this thread by Eric Feigl-Ding - Epidemiologist and Health Economist with 16 years experience of Public Health at Harvard

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1279 ... 17634.html

If it proves to be true then it maybe explains why the sweatshop factories in places like Leicester and the opening of the pubs (indoor at least) might hurt us more than the VE Day street party's, the BLM and counter BLM protests and the beach invasions.
Yes, seems like that's the case. Obviously we're learning all the time, but unfortunately we've been so well programmed over the last few months that 'crowds are bad' we can't get past it now. Being outdoors seems a very minimal risk, if there's any at all. Probably why the protests, the raves, the beaches etc which have caused such fury and tutting haven't really affected the infection rate.

Then you get the most serious surge from poorly ventilated factories in Leicester - which didn't get any coverage as it was happening, only as the details emerged later and even then, there was a lack of people to get angry at. Nobody was being selfish, just going to work. Same with the food processing plants.

Hopefully we continue to get smarter. Drinking in pubs indoors seems a bad idea. Keeping the ban on outdoor grass roots sport seems ludicrous, maybe even counter productive. Although I guess another factor with the pubs and theatres etc, is there may never be a vaccine. In which case we may as well permanently close all the pubs, restaurants and cinemas now. Because the virus is never going to disappear and if we don't open them now, then when? We're down to about 5-600 new infections a day. In a country of over 60 million people. It's not going to get much better than that.
This user liked this post: paulatky

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 am

martin_p wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:27 am
Surely the only conclusion from a long discussion on the stats is that no conclusion can be drawn, making your assertion that coronavirus is doing less damage than flu and pneumonia merely an unsupportable opinion.
I don't think it's unsupportable to say that coronavirus now is doing relatively little damage. Certainly not enough damage to keep the schools closed and grass roots sports off the agenda. If amateur sports were allowed to continue as normal without paid attendance, and if schools were back as normal, I don't think any harm would be done. Certainly not enough to justify the harm that is currently being done to children.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:29 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 am
I don't think it's unsupportable to say that coronavirus now is doing relatively little damage. Certainly not enough damage to keep the schools closed and grass roots sports off the agenda. If amateur sports were allowed to continue as normal without paid attendance, and if schools were back as normal, I don't think any harm would be done. Certainly not enough to justify the harm that is currently being done to children.
That may be the case, although schools close for the summer over the next couple of weeks if they haven’t already so I don’t think any additional damage is done by waiting until September.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:31 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:46 am
Fair enough. I don't want to go down the road of personal insults. There is too much of that on this forum.

Your argument is that "more people have died with flu and/or pneumonia in the last year than with coronavirus". From this do you conclude that the government should not have gone into the lockdown in March? Or is it some other point that you are making.
My argument on this issue was that you weren't comparing like with like. Now that we are comparing like with like, that doesn't make it easy to draw a conclusion.

But my suspicion is that lockdown was too severe and it would have made little difference to the death toll if it had been a lot less restrictive.

Old folks' homes should have been protected and weren't. That's where half the deaths (almost) have happened. That's an easy mistake to pick out and one that should have been easy to avoid.

But more to the point - the mistakes that were made in the past can be looked at later. It's the mistakes that are being made now that matter. Specifically, schools. At the very least the government ought to be announcing that all else being equal (ie. the oft anticipated second wave doesn't happen) then schools will be open as normal next year. No need for "social distancing" by children. Teachers may wear hazmat if they so desire, but children are safe unless evidence occurs to say otherwise. There is no evidence at all that coronavirus is a danger to children; so open the schools, and if evidence comes to light that that is dangerous, take further action then. Grandparents by now have enough information to make their own decisions.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:37 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:31 am
My argument on this issue was that you weren't comparing like with like. Now that we are comparing like with like, that doesn't make it easy to draw a conclusion.

But my suspicion is that lockdown was too severe and it would have made little difference to the death toll if it had been a lot less restrictive.

Old folks' homes should have been protected and weren't. That's where half the deaths (almost) have happened. That's an easy mistake to pick out and one that should have been easy to avoid.

But more to the point - the mistakes that were made in the past can be looked at later. It's the mistakes that are being made now that matter. Specifically, schools. At the very least the government ought to be announcing that all else being equal (ie. the oft anticipated second wave doesn't happen) then schools will be open as normal next year. No need for "social distancing" by children. Teachers may wear hazmat if they so desire, but children are safe unless evidence occurs to say otherwise. There is no evidence at all that coronavirus is a danger to children; so open the schools, and if evidence comes to light that that is dangerous, take further action then. Grandparents by now have enough information to make their own decisions.
That is what the government have announced isn’t it? Other than saying that children need to distance where possible (and it won’t be even remotely possible in a fully occupied classroom).

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:03 am

martin_p wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:37 am
That is what the government have announced isn’t it? Other than saying that children need to distance where possible (and it won’t be even remotely possible in a fully occupied classroom).
That's the fear. That the teaching unions and other vested interests will continue to be obstructive and will say that if social distancing isn't possible in a fully occupied classroom, then the classroom mustn't be fully occupied.

The government is already talking about restricting hours and restricting subjects. There is no reason to do this. They should be announcing schools will be fully open, no restrictions.

(If they can do a root-and-branch bonfire of the nonsensical paperwork at the same time, so much the better.)

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:19 pm

Boris Johnson's spokesman says the government will no longer publish how many people are being tested every day for the coronavirus.

The government "temporarily" stopped publishing this information some weeks back but now confirm it has been permanently stopped.

The explanation given is that this stat doesn't include people who have been tested more tham once, but no explanation of why this wasn't a problem before they stopped publishing the figure daily.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:21 pm

1.3million tests missing?
Attachments
EcOPK1pXgAAi0Z-.jpg
EcOPK1pXgAAi0Z-.jpg (70.61 KiB) Viewed 2945 times

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:23 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:21 pm
1.3million tests missing?
Nothing to see here, move along...

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:41 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:46 am

Given the scientific advice at the time saying that there was a real threat of the NHS being overwhelmed by up to a million people possibly needing hospital intervention and as many as 25000 cases maybe needing ICU and ventilators the government had no choice but to enter the lockdown. In reality we will never know if the lockdown helped contain the infection or whether the early scientific opinion was simply too back-covering and worst case to be properly meaningful.

Should we have entered lockdown - probably
Should we still be in lockdown - probably not

There will be further people who get infected, there will be further localised outbreaks, there will be, sadly, more deaths to come from the virus. But we are now seeing a lower than normal all cause death rate than the 5 year average for the time of year. Only time will tell what the actual toll really has been rather than the 55000-66000 excess deaths short term number so widely bandied around

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:54 pm

last Monday my friend and I got text messages from a shop we had been in the week before telling us they had reported C-19 cases form people who had been in the shop and that we should get tested. We knew we had been in the shop and had to give details contact before being allowed in, there were no other customers and we were in less than 5 minutes, no idea regarding what we touched but we discussed by phone and felt not much if anything at all. Tuesday I spent 3 hours waiting to be tested, got drowned in a torrential downpour, only to be told at our point of the queue and all behind that we would not get tested that day, not happy when I got home called my friend who had ordered an online/home test so did the same.
Test kit arrived Wednesday and sent back same day, results back on Friday said I did not have C-19. Have to say while I felt I was not that worried mainly due to knowing the shop and how we were, when I got the result I did feel a real sense of relief, plus hubby relieved, our son was not that bothered though and very casual about the whole thing.

Called my friend who said that's great, got mine back and I do have it! We had not seen each other since the shopping day, she had been to a small gathering at her son & family shortly after the shopping trip, her family advised that someone at the gathering had been tested positive, she suspects that is where she got it.

Also my sister called to say her granddaughter had been to a party a week or so before and she had tested positive for the C-19 last week. She had also had a test some weeks before that was negative, being negative does not mean you wont get it obviously and we need to remain cautious/vigilant.

Have no gone from not knowing anyone positive to two in a week, of course I always believed Texas opened to fast and as a consequence we are seeing larger numbers and going backwards in the lockdown. Lockdown easing started beginning May with restaurants 25% opening, pubs & bars at 25% mid May, by 1st June 75% & 50% respectively, now pubs/bars closed again and restaurants stuck at the 75%, hopefully numbers will start to decline again soon.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:23 pm

The problem with children being in school is that although we know that they don't tend to suffer serious illness from Covid 19, we don't know the extent to which they can carry the disease and infect others who are far more vulnerable. Until that has been established, we are quite right to be cautious about schools fully opening up.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:51 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:41 pm
Should we have entered lockdown - probably
Should we still be in lockdown - probably not
While we may not be back to normal we’re certainly not in anything equating to a ‘lockdown’ at the moment and haven’t been for some weeks.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:01 pm

First day since March there are no deaths in the North West.
These 3 users liked this post: tiger76 cricketfieldclarets UnderSeige

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:05 pm

martin_p wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:51 pm
While we may not be back to normal we’re certainly not in anything equating to a ‘lockdown’ at the moment and haven’t been for some weeks.
Certainly, in some areas of life, lockdown seems to be a thing of the past. Many areas of life are still either entirely closed off or only minimally available for use. When will they allow amateur sport to be played again and family groups to get together (rather than just 2 families at a time), they are my markers for the end of lockdown.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:44 pm

No deaths registered in Scotland in 48 hours, and only 4 new cases, whether those meagre levels can be maintained, as we gradually ease out of lockdown here will be the key question. If they can then we can finally have hope we're winning the battle, if not yet the war.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:53 pm

Erasmus wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:23 pm
The problem with children being in school is that although we know that they don't tend to suffer serious illness from Covid 19, we don't know the extent to which they can carry the disease and infect others who are far more vulnerable. Until that has been established, we are quite right to be cautious about schools fully opening up.
Rather we should just be cautious about the most vulnerable being exposed to the kids rather than kids missing out on social and educational activity?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:58 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:44 pm
No deaths registered in Scotland in 48 hours, and only 4 new cases, whether those meagre levels can be maintained, as we gradually ease out of lockdown here will be the key question. If they can then we can finally have hope we're winning the battle, if not yet the war.
absolutely
Attachments
9E71908B-FEF8-4475-9BEF-BB28800247C9.jpeg
9E71908B-FEF8-4475-9BEF-BB28800247C9.jpeg (296.48 KiB) Viewed 2797 times

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:29 pm

dsr wrote:

We are nearly in agreement about lockdown. My argument, which you might find a bit surprising, is that it should not have happened at all! The problem was that we didn't have a 'containment plan' and so the government were forced to go into lockdown. The problem remains the same. If there is a second spike or wave (which no one can predict with certainty) the government will go into lockdown again unless we get an early vaccine or their advisers, scientists and technologists get their act together.

The economy would have been much more restricted had lockdown not been imposed. Many businesses (including football) were already closing down even before the government imposed lockdown. I can remember posting at the time that the 'government are jumping on the bandwagon'. People were starting to empty supermarket shelves and supermarkets were already restricting the purchasing of certain items.

France was going to close the borders to the UK immediately on the weekend that the UK announced lockdown. There was talk of the international community regarding the UK as a 'quarantine area' - a no go area for the rest of the world. This would have been disastrous for the economy? The situation in the supermarkets would have been much more severe had they not been able to import food and other products from the continent.

Internet companies would also have found it difficult to supply their goods without supply of goods from overseas. The hospitality industry would have had to close anyway. Much of it would not have been able to continue without fresh food, wine, beer and other things being imported from Europe and beyond.

From a medical perspective 'Covid and pneumonia' is currently much worst than 'Flu and Pneumonia'. The reason for this is that there is not yet a vaccine for Covid and very little to treat it. Also the medical profession knew a lot less about it in March than it does now. Once there is a vaccine I would expect 'Covid and pneumonia' to be on a par with 'Flu and Pneumonia'.

In the period before the lockdown the government were persuing their 'herd immunity policy'. COVID-19 cases would have been much higher had the government not been forced to impose lockdown. Some people, on this very website were arguing that the 'case rates' were growing exponentially. Certain Government advisers were saying that there could be half a million deaths if measures were not taken. On the weekend before lockdown case rates doubled over the weekend. Exponential growth means that you get to a very high figure extremely quickly.

Daily UK cases peaked throughout April (coinciding with delayed results from Herd Immunty policy) and then started the gradual decline through May and June (coinciding with being in lockdown for the previous few weeks). It would have been more than likely that, without lockdown and 'containment plan' that the exponential growth would have taken the daily case rates much higher than they were and for a much longer time. Certain world leaders, such as Jair Bolsonaro and Donald Trump kicked against this idea and are reaping the consequences now.

Pneumonia cases would also have been higher since COVID-19 causes pneumonia in many critical care patients. I think that this is where our debate got confused. You were saying that it was 'flu and pneumonia' v COVID and I was thinking that COVID causes pneumonia amongst many other causes so it should be flu v Covid that should be used for comparison.

Also the COVID cases would have been in addition to the normal flu season. In effect, the season of viral diseases was extended from the normal 'end of March' to well into June. If there is no vaccine and Covid takes off again in winter both Flu and Covid will occur together. If there is also a bad flu season there will be a lot of increased demand for Health care resources. The government are already worried about this and are advising all 50 year olds to have a flue jab in September.

Without lockdown the NHS would likely have been overwhelmed in the same way that their counterparts in Italy and Spain were. This became evident in the weekend before lockdown when London hospitals started to be overwhelmed. When you see modern Health Care Services being overwhelmed in a pandemic you know that it's worst than the annual flu season.

As per the point of old peoples homes. I agree that they should have been better protected. The fatalities were the result of panic! It was caused by decisions made by someone to clear hospital beds for expected incoming coronavirus patients. This also resulted in many other patients with serious illnesses (cancer, heart patients etc) being discharged when they urgently needed treatment. If no lockdown had occurred and people continued visiting Care Homes, the situation could have been worst. In fact, some care homes were locking the doors long before government restrictions.

Apart from mistakes, the key to understanding the Care Home Tragedy is that, unlike flu, there is no vaccine for COVID-19. Most elderly people receive an annual flue jab. Whilst flu vaccines are far from perfect they save many lives.

Non Covid critical treatment needed planning so that those patients could have been treated in isolation whilst capacity for covid patients was increased. This is the type of plan that needs to be in place long before any pandemic takes place. There were plenty of warnings with SARS, MERS, Bird Flue etc. Hopefully plans will be in place for future pandemics.

"The World Health Organization estimates that worldwide, annual influenza epidemics result in about
3-5 million cases of illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths". Current Worldwide cases of Coronavirus in the six months since January: 11,409,797. Fatalities: 534,159 and still rising.

My conclusion from what we know is that COVID-19 is currently much more dangerous than Flu and Public Health Policy needs to reflect that. As someone above said, there is insufficient data to support your point.
This user liked this post: dsr

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:16 pm

No deaths in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland today.

Most ever tests done and lowest number of positives since the start.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:17 pm

8-)
Attachments
5274E506-D474-474C-99C6-C404CF78B126.png
5274E506-D474-474C-99C6-C404CF78B126.png (51.02 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
5F2C4899-0B4B-4465-BFB0-4B9896AEF3E6.jpeg
5F2C4899-0B4B-4465-BFB0-4B9896AEF3E6.jpeg (653.14 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
D9519702-7905-458E-BA53-172083E4C7FF.jpeg
D9519702-7905-458E-BA53-172083E4C7FF.jpeg (755.51 KiB) Viewed 2757 times

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:54 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 am
Sports outdoors in the summer would probably be OK as long as the case rate doesn't pick up.

Schools are a bit of a puzzle. It will be their long summer break soon which lasts until early September. I am not sure how easy or practical it would be over this period. You would likely get a lot of kickback from parents and teachers alike.

Schools in September would depend on other factors:
  • Is there a vaccine with jabs starting in Sept/Oct? If so, get the schools, colleges and Universities up and running. We should know whether a vaccine is likely to be available in the next few weeks.
  • Are we in a second spike by September? If so schools will have to wait a bit longer. Again we should know whether the beach goers, ravers and protesters have caused a second spike by the end of this month. If daily case rates are still declining at the end of the month, it will look like those activities haven't caused a second spike.
  • Are we in a second spike by September due to people coming together indoors (ref to DA's post earlier today)? Pubs, restaurants, coffee shops, manufacturing plants, and in particular sweatshops and cool environments such as food processing plants. We should see figures rising by the end of August if this is the case.
  • No second spike and no vaccine by September - get the schools, colleges and Universities up and running with as many safety measures as practically possible.
  • Assuming schools start in September with no spike or vaccine. If figures start to increase as the winter sets in, get ready to close schools and certain other businesses and organisations swiftly (fast and strong rather than slow and weak).
If we had a successful 'containment policy' very little of this stupid lockdown stuff would have been necessary. It didn't have to be this way.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:05 pm

dsr wrote:
There is no evidence at all that coronavirus is a danger to children; so open the schools, and if evidence comes to light that that is dangerous, take further action then.
COVID-19 does not seem to affect most children. Children need to get back to school and get learning again asap for health as well as education reasons.

The main problems are:
  • Virus spreads indoors much more easily.
  • Child carriers infecting parents who infect others etc. Especially so in winter when children are running around with runny noses, coughs and sneezes.
Even so, missing education and socialising with classmates could cause lasting harm. The policy makers need to get children back whilst treading very carefully. The problem is not a simple one to solve and we need to avoid a 'child super spreader created peak' in the winter. At this moment in time I think that the balance is for children to return in September with caution.

However, that does not mean that there is "no evidence at all that coronavirus is a danger to children".

Here is the evidence:
  • Children developing Kawasaki-like syndrome despite testing negative for coronavirus.
    Researchers develop test confirming link between inflammatory disease to antibodies developed after immune system defeats Covid-19 virus. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 54761.html

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:10 pm

The thing about children is that whilst they may not be affected by Covid-19 they can still collect active virus spores from any shared surface and transmit the virus anywhere to other shared surfaces - potentially to vulnerable people. That’s the problem with it.

My 10 year old actually has the solution. He said if everyone in the world agreed to lockdown for 2 weeks without contact to anyone else the virus will die. Not bad thinking for a child on the Autistic Spectrum.
These 2 users liked this post: UnderSeige bfcjg

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:30 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:54 pm
last Monday my friend and I got text messages from a shop we had been in the week before telling us they had reported C-19 cases form people who had been in the shop and that we should get tested. We knew we had been in the shop and had to give details contact before being allowed in, there were no other customers and we were in less than 5 minutes, no idea regarding what we touched but we discussed by phone and felt not much if anything at all. Tuesday I spent 3 hours waiting to be tested, got drowned in a torrential downpour, only to be told at our point of the queue and all behind that we would not get tested that day, not happy when I got home called my friend who had ordered an online/home test so did the same.
Test kit arrived Wednesday and sent back same day, results back on Friday said I did not have C-19. Have to say while I felt I was not that worried mainly due to knowing the shop and how we were, when I got the result I did feel a real sense of relief, plus hubby relieved, our son was not that bothered though and very casual about the whole thing.

Called my friend who said that's great, got mine back and I do have it! We had not seen each other since the shopping day, she had been to a small gathering at her son & family shortly after the shopping trip, her family advised that someone at the gathering had been tested positive, she suspects that is where she got it.

Also my sister called to say her granddaughter had been to a party a week or so before and she had tested positive for the C-19 last week. She had also had a test some weeks before that was negative, being negative does not mean you wont get it obviously and we need to remain cautious/vigilant.

Have no gone from not knowing anyone positive to two in a week, of course I always believed Texas opened to fast and as a consequence we are seeing larger numbers and going backwards in the lockdown. Lockdown easing started beginning May with restaurants 25% opening, pubs & bars at 25% mid May, by 1st June 75% & 50% respectively, now pubs/bars closed again and restaurants stuck at the 75%, hopefully numbers will start to decline again soon.
Glad your OK Kate.

Back in April, at the height of the virus over here, some distant relatives of mine contracted COVID. They are a young family. Mother, Father and two five year old twins. All came through it OK after a few days with coughs, fever and sore throats. Also a lady near where I live got the disease. She told a neighbour that she was bed ridden for three days with the worst sore throat she had ever had. Following this she was very weak for a long time.

It makes it a lot more real when you know someone who has had it. It's not just something on the 6 o'clock news.
This user liked this post: KateR

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:32 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:05 pm
Certainly, in some areas of life, lockdown seems to be a thing of the past. Many areas of life are still either entirely closed off or only minimally available for use. When will they allow amateur sport to be played again and family groups to get together (rather than just 2 families at a time), they are my markers for the end of lockdown.
And fans back on the Turf.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:48 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:10 pm
The thing about children is that whilst they may not be affected by Covid-19 they can still collect active virus spores from any shared surface and transmit the virus anywhere to other shared surfaces - potentially to vulnerable people. That’s the problem with it.

My 10 year old actually has the solution. He said if everyone in the world agreed to lockdown for 2 weeks without contact to anyone else the virus will die. Not bad thinking for a child on the Autistic Spectrum.
A future Government adviser.
This user liked this post: KateR

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:03 pm

Johnson blaming care homes:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 04426.html

oh well :(

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:44 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:05 pm
COVID-19 does not seem to affect most children. Children need to get back to school and get learning again asap for health as well as education reasons.

The main problems are:
  • Virus spreads indoors much more easily.
  • Child carriers infecting parents who infect others etc. Especially so in winter when children are running around with runny noses, coughs and sneezes.
Even so, missing education and socialising with classmates could cause lasting harm. The policy makers need to get children back whilst treading very carefully. The problem is not a simple one to solve and we need to avoid a 'child super spreader created peak' in the winter. At this moment in time I think that the balance is for children to return in September with caution.

However, that does not mean that there is "no evidence at all that coronavirus is a danger to children".

OK, I left an open goal there. What I should have said is that the evidence suggests that coronavirus is less significant an illness than flu in children, and therefore far too small a risk to justify the closing of all schools sine die.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 03733#tbl1

Here is the number of children under 14 who die of acute respiratory illness each year. Average, over 8 years 2000-01 to 2007-08, of 166. Estimated 12 of these caused by flu. They don't close all the schools for that.

Have you any evidence that children are carrying the virus around? There are several studies that indicate they aren't.

https://fullfact.org/health/covid-19-in-children/

It's fairly certain that they catch the virus at the rate of only 1/10th the rate adults get it; add to this the likelihood that even if they do have it, they are much less successful at passing it on.

Remember, we shouldn't just be looking for evidence that schools are safe to re-open. We have all this evidence here. But what the government should be looking for, every single day that the schools are closed, is evidence as to why they are closed. Where is the evidence? Where is the evidence that coronavirus is dangerous to the children? Where is the evidence that coronavirus is dangerous to the parentos of chioldren at school, or to their teachers, or to anyone else? Where is the evidence we need to take such a dramatic, drastic step as to close all the schools and to keep them closed?

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:47 pm

Erasmus wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:23 pm
How do we establish what happens when schools are in operation? If we can't send the children back to school until it's proved that being in school does no harm they will never go back.

As I said above, where is the evidence that sending children to school will do harm?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:24 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:44 pm

It's fairly certain that they catch the virus at the rate of only 1/10th the rate adults get it; add to this the likelihood that even if they do have it, they are much less successful at passing it on.
Neither of those statements are backed up by the link you posted above them.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:42 am

martin_p wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:24 am
Neither of those statements are backed up by the link you posted above them.
Up to 18th May, 1.6% of confirmed cases in the UK were people under 20. People under 20 make up about a quarter of the population. That's surely evidence that children catch it less than adults?

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:37 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:44 pm
OK, I left an open goal there. What I should have said is that the evidence suggests that coronavirus is less significant an illness than flu in children, and therefore far too small a risk to justify the closing of all schools sine die.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 03733#tbl1

Here is the number of children under 14 who die of acute respiratory illness each year. Average, over 8 years 2000-01 to 2007-08, of 166. Estimated 12 of these caused by flu. They don't close all the schools for that.

Have you any evidence that children are carrying the virus around? There are several studies that indicate they aren't.

Remember, we shouldn't just be looking for evidence that schools are safe to re-open. We have all this evidence here. But what the government should be looking for, every single day that the schools are closed, is evidence as to why they are closed. Where is the evidence? Where is the evidence that coronavirus is dangerous to the children? Where is the evidence that coronavirus is dangerous to the parentos of chioldren at school, or to their teachers, or to anyone else? Where is the evidence we need to take such a dramatic, drastic step as to close all the schools and to keep them closed?
It is not yet clear whether children spread the virus or not. There are many studies that say they don't. There are some studies that say they do and also say that studies to the contrary are wrong.
"Children 'do transmit COVID-19' to adults, says researcher whose report was 'misunderstood' as evidence that kids cannot spread coronavirus. The World Health Organization has also cautioned against claims that children cannot transmit COVID-19, reminding the public that there is a lot scientists still don't know about the disease".https://www.businessinsider.com/childre ... r=US&IR=T
If we don't get a vaccine, this winter should show either way. From what I have heard there will be a vaccine of some sorts. At this point in time I would guess that it's a 'must' to plan to open schools in September with appropriate controls.

Don't forget that we are in a pandemic. Things can change. Virus's can mutate and move to different cohorts of the population at lightning speed. Today's certainties can quickly dissipate into thin air.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:55 am

Poll: 1 in 3 people will refuse to take COVID-19 Vaccine
Being discussed on LBC now.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:08 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:37 am
Don't forget that we are in a pandemic. Things can change. Virus's can mutate and move to different cohorts of the population at lightning speed. Today's certainties can quickly dissipate into thin air.
There's certainly no risk of our government doing anything at lightning speed. I suppose if you wait 6 months to do anything, there's always the chance that the position will change and you won't have to do anything then either.

If there is a serious chance that schools will be shut again for a second wave, then they ought to be open now and stay open all summer. This attitude of "children have already lost 4 months' education so what does another two matter" is appalling.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:12 am

LBC News have just this minute reported that a number of pubs have closed due to outbreaks of COVID-19. They are now undergoing deep cleaning.

My comment: Would the virus have had time to incubate since Saturday. I don't understand how they found this out so quickly.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:24 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:55 am
Poll: 1 in 3 people will refuse to take COVID-19 Vaccine
Being discussed on LBC now.
More info: It's a YouGov Poll.
Professor on the programme says that in order to be safe and efficient any vaccine needs at least 2 and a half years in trials and development. He also argues that it must be made available to the whole population at the same time. At least 80-90% of the population needs to be vaccinated for it to be effective.

Apparently there is a strong anti-vaccine lobby.

People are ringing in to confirm that they will not be taking the vaccine.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:26 am

dsr wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:42 am
Up to 18th May, 1.6% of confirmed cases in the UK were people under 20. People under 20 make up about a quarter of the population. That's surely evidence that children catch it less than adults?
The Full Fact page you link mentions studies that indicate under 20s are a half or a third as likely to be infected not the one tenth you say is ‘fairly certain’